Chart-date axis format

I am using date-times as the x axis. The differences between two point is not
always the same. Could be 3 days, 8 days etc. But the data axis formats are
in day order day 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. I can't seem to modify teh axis format
correctly to get what I need.  What format option can I set so that if I have
3 data points on day 1, 5 and 15 that I have 3 dates on the x axis instead of
the 15 I get by default.

Thanks in advance for any hints/help
0
BobPtacek (11)
1/15/2008 5:10:00 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Right click the chart; select Chart Options
On the Axes tab; chance the Primary axis from Automatic (or Time Series) to
Category
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Bob Ptacek" <BobPtacek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using date-times as the x axis. The differences between two point is
>not
> always the same. Could be 3 days, 8 days etc. But the data axis formats
> are
> in day order day 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. I can't seem to modify teh axis format
> correctly to get what I need.  What format option can I set so that if I
> have
> 3 data points on day 1, 5 and 15 that I have 3 dates on the x axis instead
> of
> the 15 I get by default.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints/help

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
1/15/2008 6:42:42 PM
If using XL2007:
1 right click the x-axis; use Format Axis
2 select Axis Options on the left side of dialog
3 in right side of dialog; click the box for Axis Type Text
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Bob Ptacek" <BobPtacek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using date-times as the x axis. The differences between two point is
>not
> always the same. Could be 3 days, 8 days etc. But the data axis formats
> are
> in day order day 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. I can't seem to modify teh axis format
> correctly to get what I need.  What format option can I set so that if I
> have
> 3 data points on day 1, 5 and 15 that I have 3 dates on the x axis instead
> of
> the 15 I get by default.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints/help

0
bliengme5824 (3040)
1/15/2008 6:48:42 PM
Thank you that did the trick.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

> Right click the chart; select Chart Options
> On the Axes tab; chance the Primary axis from Automatic (or Time Series) to
> Category
> best wishes
> --
> Bernard V Liengme
> Microsoft Excel MVP
> www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
> remove caps from email
>
> "Bob Ptacek" <BobPtacek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I am using date-times as the x axis. The differences between two point is
> >not
> > always the same. Could be 3 days, 8 days etc. But the data axis formats
> > are
> > in day order day 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.. I can't seem to modify teh axis format
> > correctly to get what I need.  What format option can I set so that if I
> > have
> > 3 data points on day 1, 5 and 15 that I have 3 dates on the x axis instead
> > of
> > the 15 I get by default.
> >
> > Thanks in advance for any hints/help

0
BobPtacek (11)

conditional formatting
I want to format column I (highlight cell) under the following condition the value in same row column F is > 0 and the cell in column I is empty. I have put the following code in the formula bar for conditional formatting and I'm getting an error. How do I fix the problem? First I select column I, and then I select conditional formatting. Then I change "cell value is" to "formula" and enter the following in the formula box. =F1>0 and I1 = "" When I click OK, I get an error. What is the error? Place the cursor in I1 cell and pres...

Hand entered dates view wrong
A user I support is having an issue with a worksheet in Excel. It is not an urgent or crucial fix, but I am interested in people's ideas, since she says it has happened to her before. In each case she threw away the worksheet and started a new one by hand entering the data again. Here's the scenario: She has a worksheet in which she has been adding rows of data over time (6 months or so) and has only about 30 rows of data. Column A are dates, and are formatted as such. After months of opening and saving in this document once a week or so, she now has an issue - when she types...

charting independent XYScatter graphs
I'm trying to create a XYScatter graph of 3 independent datasets from within VB6 using OLE/Excel2000. I'm using the KB147803 article as a basis, but am stuck and hope someone can help. The example in KB147803 seems to indicate that there can only be one set of X-Values for the 3 XY Scatter Graph data sets. The X-Value series is the first row of data in the sheet, and is called out as a set of Category labels ('cwCategoryLabels=1'), and applies to all three subsequent rows of Y-Value data. In my case, I want to plot 3 independent sets of XY data, so I'd like to pr...

Help with graph / chart
I have a graph for weeks 1-52, I have split this into 4 seperate graphs each showing a quarter (13 weeks) I cant remember exactly how I created them but possibly using some sort of copy paste as each chart show weeks 1 - 13 along the bottom. This should read......... for chart 1 1-13 for chart 2 14 - 26 chart 3 27 - 40 chart 4 41 - 52 How do I change this on each chart to read the week numbers indicated.? thanks Hi, You need to define the Category labels for the chart. Chart 1 is fine as it defaults to the values 1 to 13. For the other 3 charts you will need to create...

How do make a line correspond to date
I have a chart with horizontal bars and I want to put a vertical (trend) date line that corresponds to today's date. -- DMM http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "soconfused" <soconfused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ADC1BD32-DF02-4A7F-B074-DCBBA9D0AAFD@microsoft.com... >I have a chart with horizontal bars and I want to put a vertical (trend) >date > line that corresponds to today's...

Copy chart with reference table
I have a pie chart neatly tied to a data table alongside. Now I want to copy both the chart and table to a different area of the sheet so I can modify the new data table and have 2 different charts. My issue is that the chart will only allow absolute references, so when I copy both the chart and table together the new chart still is tied to the old table - so I have to go and change the source data ranges one by one. Any way that I can do this easily? Copy the whole sheet. The copied chart links to the data on the copied sheet. Now cut the range that includes the copied char...

Date/Time Modified
Hello, My Access Database consists of many tables. The Query attached to my main Client Information Form is made up of 4 tables. -Client Table -Account Table -Batch No Table -Advisor Table Basically, I want to be able to insert a Date/Time Modified record at the top of my main form that will show a data modified if any record is changed/updated in any of these tables. Is this possible? Thank you, Mellissa -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com ...

Excel 2007 dates and conditional formats
Can anyone please tell me why I can not use a conditional format (<>=) to identify if a date is greater or smaller then another. Everytime I try it, Excel does it right in the first column but misses by 2 days in all following. It also appears to have problems with the years. Example: Date of propposed compleation of a task is 10/10/07; if the date of actual completion is 10/10/07 or sooner, turn GREEN. If the date of completion is 10/11/07 or older, turn RED. Can anyone help?? Regards Mary Hi Mary, First thing to check: What does 10/11/07 mean? November 10 1907? November 10 2007? O...

default mail format based on domain
Greetings - After 20_ years of Eudora and Thunderbird (in that order), I'm looking at Outlook for the first time (we're moving to an Exchange backend, so...worth a look, for obvious reasons). In Thunderbird, if I want to set a default HTML format for emails sent to a certain domain, I can specify that. For any other domain(s), plain text. Is there an easy way to do that in Outlook (I'm using 2007)? Basically, I want emails sent to my enterprise domain (i.e., my place of employment) to be in HTML or perhaps RTF, but mail sent to other domains to be plain text only. Again, I want ...

Date Range #2
Hi, Can someone please assist me with the following issue: I am currently using the formula noted below to direct another application ( Bloomberg ) to select prices from the previous 6th business day. My question is> Is there any way to revise the formula to exclude US holidays for successive years (i.e. for 2005, 2006...) without having to manually change the date entries each year, in the formula? =WORKDAY(Today(),-6, {"5/31/04","7/5/04","9/6/04","11/25/04","12/25/04","1/1/05" }) Thank you I'd recommend listing...

XY Chart
I have created a short VBA macro that reads x and y data from a spreadsheet, where every row represents a new series. Besides the x and y data colums, I also have columns that specify the size of the marker, the markerstyle, and the foreground and background colors. I have adapted some of John Walkenbach's code to label each of the datapoints using .name. The x axis is basically an integer 1 to 5 and the y axis is a value like price or variable margin. There usually are multiple datapoints on any given integer on the x axis. For example, I may be plotting the price that a custom...

sorting by date
I have a sheet with date amount description 12.12.06 5.00 PLUMBER 04.02.01 50.00 ELECTRICIAN ETC How can I sort into date order. When I try I get all the 2001, 2006, 2005 together but not 2001, 2002, 2003,2004 Cananyone help please Is 12.12.06 text or a date value? In a blank cell, enter ISTEXT(A1) where A1 is a cell reference to this date. True means it is text and 03.01.07 will come before 12.12.06. You can set up a helper cell, enter =DATE(RIGHT(A1,2),LEFT(A1,2), MID(A1,4,2)) where I'm assuming 12.12.06 is month/day/year. The parameters...

kill formatting brought over from reports
When I export a report from various sources (crystal reports or an Access Database that has an option to send to Excel), the worksheet format buttons stop working, or work erratically depending on something that must be coming over. Also, sometimes I get a sheet sent to me from someone who has done weird formatting, and it overrides my buttons (where the $ sign button produces some custom symbol, for example). I can copy the detail and paste to another worksheet, where the buttons will work, but is there a way to tell Excel to ignore this type of menu change when it receives a spreadsh...

chart
Help... Is is possible to insert a header and/or footer into multiple charts(Excel 2000 or 2002)? I was hoping I could insert a common chart header/footer as is possible with worksheets. Any help appreciated. You could set up the headers and footers on one chart (File menu > Page Setup), then before doing anything else, select each subsequent chart in turn and press the F4 key, which repeats this action. You could also select a chart, then record a macro while setting up its headers and footers. Then edit the macro code to only do the headers and footers, and leave out all that...

Change color on date field in form for re-certification
My main form has two different date fields on it. One date field needs to be re-certified every 6 months, and the other field needs to be re-certified every 12 months. I would like each of those fields to automatically change color depending on how much time as elapsed since that training. For the 6 month field, months 1-5 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow and anything expired should be red. For the 12 month field, months 1-11 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow, and anything expired should be red. Thank you in advance for your help! messingerjc wrote...

Charts #37
Hi All, Can you please advise if we can create one chart with multiple pivot table of the same data. Thanks Niranjan ...

Macro to update information if date changes
using Exel 2000.. I want excel to compare dates on two seperate worksheets and if the date on the first is greater than the second to insert rows and than copy cells on the second to different cells also on the second page. ie..main sheet date is 11-05-08 compared to sheet2 date is 11-04-08...insert cells at a21:d21 and shift cells down (on sheet2) then copy cells b13:h13 to a21:b21 The description seems a bit inconsistent, but here is a shot With Worksheets("Main Sheet") If .Range("A1").Value > Worksheets("Second Sheet").Range("A1&q...

Fixed straight line(s) on a chart
How can I draw a fixed straight line in an excel chart. A line on a level I can easily adjust changing the value in a spreadsheet cell, for example. Is it possible to fix even multiple lines (eg. as a fixed "bandwidth information" - data comparing to a bandwidth)? Thanks Lukas Hi See the following sites: http://andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/DummySeries.html#AddLine -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Lukas" <lukas.bieri@gmx.net> schrieb im Newsbeit...

Update Charts X-axis
I have a program with 76 charts. They all use the same range to get their x-axis (dates). At the first of every month, I change the dates to show the upcoming month. The table shows the entire year, but we just view it one month (fiscal) at a time. The series is by rows, but could be changed to columns if necessary. I inherited this program. Currently I have to update each one of them manually (click on each and change their XValues). Is there a way I can update all of them at one time? Could vba be used to select and update each chart with me just selecting the range? I am no stranger...

Incompatible file format.
Have been using Money for years and have Money Deluxe 2007 installed on both my home (Vista) machine and my notebook (XP) machine. Problem is when I go on the road and take my Money file with me, my XP machine says that the file is incompatible and was created with a newer or updated version of Money. Both machines have the same version and are both include the latest updates. What gives? Did Microsoft create something in Vista that precludes using the Money file under any other operating system? I may have to switch to Quicken or even a Linux version if they keep this up.............

Creating a square scatter chart
I am trying to create a scatter chart, but it needs to be square (i.e., 1 X unit takes the same amount of space as 1 Y unit). Is there a way to force the chart to be square? Jon Peltier has instructions on his web site for squaring gridlines: http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/Charts/format.html#SqrGrid Gene wrote: > I am trying to create a scatter chart, but it needs to be > square (i.e., 1 X unit takes the same amount of space as 1 > Y unit). Is there a way to force the chart to be square? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contexture...

different number format
Hi, this is probably an easy question but I am at a loss been an excel newbie. I have XP with my local regional settings, where the number format is 1.000,29 (onethousand and 29/100) on a specific excel sheet I need to revert these settings, in order to paste a large amount of data 1000.29 (onethousand and 29/100) anybody can suggest how to do this? TIA Hi Daniele, I think you shouldn't change your setting, paste the data and then use the code below to fix the numbers: Sub TextToNumberOnActiveColumn() Dim r As Integer Dim c As Range r = ActiveCell.EntireColumn.Range(&qu...

Scatter Chart, Please Help!
I am trying to chart what should be very easy but it won't come out right. I need a scatter chart on the following information: TIME AGE 3:15 10 6:00 14 6:00 14 6:53 0.25 7:00 10 7:50 10 8:00 14 8:05 8 9:35 14 10:10 15 11:22 0.25 12:10 14 19:30 4 19:35 14 19:42 14 19:50 13 The result I get is nothing like I think it should be. Any help woudl be appreciated. Using 03. Select everything from TIME to the end of the data range. Click on the chart wizard and select XY SCATTER Ensure the series is in COLUMNS. Try that. "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messa...

Using Range names in selecting chart series.
Hi, I have a range named DataCount. This will count the number of data points i have in a column. I would like to use this information when specifying the series range in chart. ActiveChart.SeriesCollection(1).Values = "='System 4'!R2C13:R35C13" In this example I need to substitute R35 with DataCount. What is the correct syntax? Thanks in advance, Cherrs! What kind of variable is DataCount? Is it a named range? A VBA Excel.Range object? A string that contains an address? Does it reference R35 or R35C13? - Jon ------- Jon P...

Two date validations
How do I create two validation rules for one cell containing a date? 1. The date (Cell A1) must be between a certain range (12/01/2009 and 12/31/2012). 2. The date must not be greater than Cell A2. So far I got the first rule working, but I can't figure out how to do both. Any advice would be greatly appricaiated. Thanks, ~Gabe I'd try: Select A1 Data|Validation (xl2003 menus) formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1>=DATE(2009,12,1),A1<=DATE(2012,12,31),A1<=A2) Gabe wrote: > How do I create two validation rules for one cell containing a date? ...