Chart Data Table - How to select two columns

This probably seems a trivial question but I really can't work it out!

Each day I plot a specific currency rate with the date.

I have two charts on a worksheet. One shows the graph since I started in
2003 and the other just the current year.

When I add data I click on the appropriate graph and a blue rectangle
encloses the currency data and a mauve one the dates.

Here is my problem - on one chart, when I drag the adjoining handles at the
bottom of the table to move it to enclose the new data BOTH rectangles move
together however on the other chart only ONE moves so I have to drag them
separately.

What do I have to do to make them both move simultaneously.

Thanks to anyone who knows.

Noel

Excel 2007

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi,

If you select the chart the bounding area will move both label and data
areas.
If you select the series in the chart then label and data areas will move
independently of each other.

Cheers
Andy

--

Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
http://www.andypope.info
"Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamfree@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This probably seems a trivial question but I really can't work it out!
>
> Each day I plot a specific currency rate with the date.
>
> I have two charts on a worksheet. One shows the graph since I started in
> 2003 and the other just the current year.
>
> When I add data I click on the appropriate graph and a blue rectangle
> encloses the currency data and a mauve one the dates.
>
> Here is my problem - on one chart, when I drag the adjoining handles at
> the bottom of the table to move it to enclose the new data BOTH rectangles
> move together however on the other chart only ONE moves so I have to drag
> them separately.
>
> What do I have to do to make them both move simultaneously.
>
> Thanks to anyone who knows.
>
> Noel
>
> Excel 2007

0
andy9699 (3616)
6/16/2009 8:19:02 AM
On Jun 15, 6:04 pm, "Noel S Pamfree" <Noel.spamf...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> This probably seems a trivial question but I really can't work it out!
>
> Each day I plot a specific currency rate with the date.
>
> I have two charts on a worksheet. One shows the graph since I started in
> 2003 and the other just the current year.
>
> When I add data I click on the appropriate graph and a blue rectangle
> encloses the currency data and a mauve one the dates.
>
> Here is my problem - on one chart, when I drag the adjoining handles at the
> bottom of the table to move it to enclose the new data BOTH rectangles move
> together however on the other chart only ONE moves so I have to drag them
> separately.
>
> What do I have to do to make them both move simultaneously.
>
> Thanks to anyone who knows.
>
> Noel
>
> Excel 2007

Hi Noel,
you can define the data range as a dynamic named range; the benefit of
dynamic ranges is that they expand automatically when new data are
appended. For a tutorial / introduction of dynamic ranges see:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm
Have fun
Michael
0
emte69 (54)

Calculated field in Pivot Table #5
I am having problems with a calculated field in a pivot table. I believe the challenge is the in the way pivot tables summarizes then multiplies. For example 10/1/05 task 1 = 2.00 hours 10/1/05 task 2 = 3.00 hours 10/3/05t task 3 = .50 rate 50.00/hour thus, as it is occuring now (2.00+3.00+.50=5.5 * 50.00) * 3 Instead what i am looking for in the above example is 5.5 hours *50.00/hr. Any idea, how i can accomplish this? thanks Jerry ...

Text to Columns...
Does anyone know the official function of the menu option called "Text to Columns..." which is found under the "data" option on the menu bar? How does it work? What is it supposed to do? Answers to these questions would be appreciated. Thank you... Craig craig_madrin@goodyear.com It allows you to separate text in a cell or column of cells either by position (fixed) or based on a delimiter, and place the separated data in one or more columns. It can also do some rudimentary data manipulation, including parsing dates, converting numbers to text, text, etc. Th...

Creating a summary from existing spreadsheet data ...
Looking for a solution to this little problem in Excel ... Cells A1 to C7 contain the main data. What I would like to do is select all of the items with a Condition of A and place them in a little summary as shown in A9 to C12. Any ideas how to automate this please? Many thanks, NP. Spreadsheet: A B C 1 Pt No. Desc Condition 2 1 Apple A 3 2 Pear A 4 3 Banana B 5 4 Orange A 6 5 ...

How do i use sumproduct if my lookup table is alpha or alpha num?
Can I use sumproduct formula if my table is as follows ? Yr End Rating Mid Yr Rating A B C D A same 1 down 2 down 3 down B 1 up same 1 down 2 down C 2 up 1 up same 1 down D 3 up 2up 1 up same No, but you can if the cells contain numbers like -2, 0, or +2, where the cell might use a custom format such as 0 "up";0 "down";"same" to show display values like you show in your example. -- David Biddulph "Angie" <Angie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B43C625F-8A54-41AE-B9E6-A6A1D72811B3@microsoft.com... >...

how do I add a goal line for a bar chart?
I have 8 bars that represent 0% to 100% standing vertically. I want to have a line drawn horizontally that is at the 80% mark. Is there an easy way to add a line? I have looked at all of the info and have yet to achieve the process. I changed one bar i named "Goal" to a line, but it was just that, a small line the width of the other bars and it did not show very well. I just want a simple bar to show the goal. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/> Advanced Excel Co...

Text and Data for Axis Lables
Hi, I have a chart that I am working on and in it all of my X axis lables are in my excel workbook except 1. How can I define the lables using the data contained within my workbook and manually enter a text lable for the one exception. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You have to put them all into the worksheet. Could you just rearrange the data to allow this? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/...

can you crop or select parts of a visio page
You can crop using the Crop tool on the Drawing toolbar (View/Toobars/Drawing). For non-rectangular shapes (and for rectangular, but you may as well just crop the image) you can define a custom fill pattern based on an image and then select that custom fill pattern for your respective shape. Hope that helps. Best regards John John Goldsmith www.visualSignals.co.uk "kev1n" <kev1n@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:996910EC-E311-4FB7-AACB-1F5D30AC5A76@microsoft.com... > Nice job, John! I've article-ified this on Visio Guy. Folks can read ...

Counting selected cells
Hi How do I count how many cells the command Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select has selected? Thanks Wendy Try Msgbox Range(Selection, Selection.End(xlToRight)).Cells.Count -- Jacob "Wendy" wrote: > Hi > > How do I count how many cells the command Range(Selection, > Selection.End(xlToRight)).Select has selected? > > Thanks > > Wendy After running that line it would just be Selection.Cells.Count Tim "Wendy" <Wendy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6EA171D0-80...

Update charts
I am working in a new company, they are using a excel with a 20 charts for a report. 20 charts from different data sourse. But the problem is every month, I need to delete the first column data and add the new column in the end for the new data for the new month. Then I need to update the charts, each chart has 10 series, the old way to do it is to update every series manually. I am trying to use the programme to update the chart automated. Is there any one can help me on this. Thank you. ...

Map charts in Excel 2000?
Just noticed that my Excel 2000 contains a map feature, for using maps as charts. However the map set available does not include any world map, or European maps. How can I extend teh maps available? Bets regards /Johan Myrberger Hi Johan not sure on the answer to the question, but don't get too excited about the feature - in version 2002 it has been removed although you can open workbooks containing maps, however, in 2003 (according to help, and i've not tested it) you can't open workbooks containing maps. Regards JulieD "Johan Myrberger" <johan.myrberger@remov...

putting what is selected from an unbound combobox from main to sub
I am getting the below error Invalid reference to the parent property Me!Job = Parent.cbojoblocautonum.Column(1) I am trying to automatically fill in the job(number) in the subform based off of what is selected in the combo box(and unbound control) of the main form - the job number is the second field in the combo box on the main form and based on the selection want that value put into the subform. I am sure sytax is wrong somewhere - just not sure where?? Thanks, Barb The combo box of jobsloacautonum is actually an unbound combo box the only thing bound on ...

Pivot Table Counting

3rd axis chart
hello- i would like to create a complicated chart, with what i believe would be 3 axis'. the x axis has 5 categories. the y axis also has 5 categories, but they are split into two parts, a percentage and a total number. i want the graph to illustrate the percentage, and show the value for the number, but i haven't been able to make this work. finally i want to average the percentages from each category on the x axis and create 5 separate lines that illustrate each of those averages on the graph. i'm using NT, excel 2000 any help would be much appreciated. thanks! Excel doe...

Print on two sides
I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer (BROTHER 5370DW) that allows this. I select the printer using the CommonDialog1.ShowPrinter command and then click on the printer preferences to select two-sided printing. However, when the actual printing takes place is does not print two-sided. Is there something in VB print methods that would over-ride this option or not allow it? Marv On Jun 15, 2:40=A0pm, M Wade <nowh...@columbus.rr.com> wrote: > I have an application that printed multiple pages and I have a printer > (BROTHER 5370D...

Change the size of the data labels
How do I change the size of a data label in a pie chart? I am getting unusable wrapping of text when I have plently of room if I could only resize the label box. All I've been able to do is move the label. Thanks, DLIE Unfortunately, Excel does not trust its users to resize data labels, chart titles, or axis titles. If you need this level of control, you need to replace the data labels with text boxes. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ DrLostinExcel wrote: > How do I change t...

how do i link spreadsheets on common data points?
I am trying to link two separate spreadsheets with one common data column. ...

How do I copy/paste subtotals without all the extra data?
I am trying to either do a vlookup or copy and paste the subtotals without getting all the data in the hidden rows? number of ways you can do this...i had the same question earlier. 1. highlight the subtotals results that you want to copy. hit F5 special and "visible cells only" then ctrl C, which sould highligh with white lines the subtotals you want to copy. then ctrl V t wherever you want. it'll get rid of all the data in the hidden row and leave only the subtotal results. 2. copy and paste from Excel into Word and back again. That should d the trick. 3. Copy a...

What is the meaning of error
I ported my .mdb project to .adp, but now I get that message when I try to save a record from a form. Anyone know the cause? I'm experiencing the same problem, which is really nasty because it happens sometimes and sometimes not. After receiving the error (#1020) "column data is unavailable" MS-Access crashes and generates a problem report (Access 2002 SP3 with MSDE SP4 on Windows XP SP2). I reduced the problem to one form with 3 fields and one table as the data source for the form - nothing complex - entering a couple of values and Access crashes again. I hope somebody ...

Remove Data From Field
I have records in a TABLE that look like the following: Jklebowski (Logged Out) lawilliams (Logged Out) etc..... I am looking for a way (within a QUERY) to remove the (Logged Out) from each record. If it helps at all....The words (Logged Out) are always at the END of the record....and always follows the Username and a single space Can anyone help me with the syntax required to eliminated this "piece" of each record?? Thank you Warren Phillips Lookup the Split() function. Split the field at the "(" character. HTH - Bob WDP wrote: >I have records in a TAB...

pie/bar-of-pie charts
Please forgive two questions by a rank beginner: 1. Is it possible to have a central pie chart surrounded by a number of either pie or bar charts, each of the satellite charts giving further information about only one slice of the central pie chart? 2. Is it possible to change the colour of some columns only in the simplest sort of column chart, that is, where the columns aren't clustered or stacked? 1. You can, of course, do pie chart that breaks out one series in more detail, but I am not aware of any way to do multiple "satellite" charts (unless perhaps this might be p...

How do I format a picture fill in my pie chart?
I've put a picture into a 3-D pie chart in Excel by clicking on the wedge I want, going to fill effects, and inserting a picture. However, I don't want the picture to show on the vertical sides of the chart - I want that just to be white. There's a menu in the picture fill effects tab that has an Apply to: menu and check boxes next to Sides, Front and End, but I'm not allowed to use them. Is there any way to take the picture off the sides of a 3-D pie chart while leaving it visible on top? Thanks. ...

find first non error value in a column
Hi, I have column filled either with #N/A or a number. I need a formula to "extract" the first numeric value in that column. example: #N/A #N/A #N/A 15 #N/A #N/A 3 #N/A the answer must be 15. Thanks for your time. Mika Try this: Entered as an array using the key combination of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER): =IF(COUNT(A1:A8),INDEX(A1:A8,MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(A1:A8),0)),"") Biff "Mika" <rigel_58@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1168721611.536528.322060@q2g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > I have column filled either with #N/A or a num...

How to write a VBA code to select certain rows based on certain conditions
I need help to write part of a VBA code in Excel. I am trying to do calculations on rows that meeting certain requirements, but I do not know how to established that in VBA. I know that if I use the worksheet itself, I can do something like SUMIF() function. But, when I put the same function in the VBA editor, it returns error. A simple version of my data: Group No Member No Amount spent 1 1 10 1 2 3 1 3 4 2 1 6 2 2 1 3 1 12 ...

line chart over time
Hi, My data looks like this: Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun 06/26/06 5 4 3 6 3 1 1 07/03/06 1 2 4 9 0 0 2 07/10/06 0 1 1 1 2 2 1 07/17/06 8 6 4 3 0 1 0 07/24/06 5 5 3 0 0 2 3 .... I know how to chart data against time if I have just one column of dates and one of data, but how can I chart the above data as one series? Thanks for any help, grimholtz grimholtz - Maybe you could try to get the original raw data instead of this summarized table. - Mike h...

Row/column headings
Hi. The row and column headings are hidden on my spreadsheet--can't find how to unhide... Jeremy -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com Tools|options|View tab Check Row and Column Headers. "jeremy via OfficeKB.com" wrote: > > Hi. > > The row and column headings are hidden on my spreadsheet--can't find how to > unhide... > > Jeremy > > -- > Message posted via http://www.officekb.com -- Dave Peterson Thanks Dave... -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com ...