Changing text "A" to a number?

In cell A1 I have the either Letter a, b or c.
I would like to give them a numerical value of 1, 2 and 3 in the
adjacent cell.
Can someone post or point me to the formula?
Thanks
0
YakJax (11)
4/11/2008 4:15:37 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try this:

=3DCODE(LOWER(A1))-96

Then copy down.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 11, 5:15=A0pm, Larry <Yak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In cell A1 I have the either Letter a, b or c.
> I would like to give them a numerical value of 1, 2 and 3 in the
> adjacent cell.
> Can someone post or point me to the formula?
> Thanks

0
pashurst (2576)
4/11/2008 4:26:02 PM
One way:

  = CODE(UPPER(A1)) - 64

another:

   =MATCH(A1,{"a","b","c"})

In article
<f7598ee6-86a3-4ed4-b190-74c3f7205181@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
 Larry <YakJax@gmail.com> wrote:

> In cell A1 I have the either Letter a, b or c.
> I would like to give them a numerical value of 1, 2 and 3 in the
> adjacent cell.
> Can someone post or point me to the formula?
> Thanks
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/11/2008 4:36:09 PM
Thanks!
0
YakJax (11)

Cells print so small I cannot read numbers. How do I fix?
I have been working with page break. Now I have the grid on 1 page..but it is far to small to read. now when I try to spread it back to 2 pages, it just takes the same tiny microscopic type and spreads it into 2 pages. I am stuck printing tiny type. How can I get the grid cells back to a size that is readable. It sound like you have selected Fit to 1 page in File > Page setup > Page > Scaling. Either select to fit it to 2 pages or select Adjust to 100% size -- HTH Sandy In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland and the crowning place of kings sandymann2@mailinator.com Repl...

How to Change Value of Active Control
I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. I can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't figure out the syntax to change the value of this control. I've tried assigning it to variables but variables aren't working in a: Forms![variable]![variable] = "" Help "Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AA05A840-2AFE-4F98-ABE9-5D2DD17AE0B8@microsoft.com... > I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null. > I > can g...

Pivot Tables & changing data
Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am going to ask is possible and not too complicated for me.... :o) I am working with Excel 2003. I have a pivot table already set up and the information is pulling data from a row titled "sum of Subscriber". I added new data in a new column from the main spreadsheet and I would like to pull the data from there. Its titled "Adj Subscriber". Is it possible to switch it? If so, how? Thanks, Anna Marie Anna wrote: > Hi - I have never used pivot tables in Excel before so hopefully what I am &...

Outlook 2003
I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either the subject or text body...or both. For example: looking for an email message about a specific invoice number 12345. Now, it does not find the number even when I know it's there....and can find it by hunting on my own. Thanks for any help you can offer~ "Hello_It''''s_Me-CA" <HelloItsMeCA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B942C394-5363-49BE-AFB3-04E34C1CE4BF@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to do this in Outlook 2000. The string will be in either > t...

How to change default printing parameters on Excel & ......
How to change the default printing parameters on Excel & keep them changed for future workbooks. Example: Normally I use Printing margins 0.25 on all directions, but default printing margins are 0.75. I want to change them to set 0.25 as DEFAULT. If you start a new workbook and change the page layout (for all the sheets), you can save it into your XLStart folder as Book.xlt. Excel will use that as the basis for new workbooks. You can change a lot of settings that way--including orientation, headers/footers.... Amjad wrote: > > How to change the default printing parameters ...

Change color of multiple autoshapes
I need to change the color of several autoshape based on different cells I know how to change one autoshape using a worksheet_change event but i can't just copy and paste this and change the object name + cell name. is it possible to have multiple worksheet_change events in the same worksheet?? T-bone, You have only one worksheet_change event, but in it you can test to see which cell was changed with something like If not Intersect(Target, Range("A1") is nothing then ' do range A1 stuff here end if If not Intersect(Target, Range("A2") is nothing then &#...

Recovery after "do not save changes" selected accidently
I mistakenly clicked on "do not save changes" for a worksheet (file) that i'd been working on (I thought a different file was highlighted). As it turns out I had not saved the original file in over a day, though the autosave is set up. is there any way to get my file back, or at least an intermediate version, instead of one with a day's less of work??? help!!!!!! Thanks very much for your help! Sorry to say, but your day's work is gone. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Mayukh" <msukhatme@hotmail.com> wrote in...

Scrpit when trying to change CRM option in Outlook client
Hi there, I get the attached script error when i try to change the MSCRM Option in MSCRM Outlook client and it does not accept my changes. An error has occoured in the script on this page. Line:381 Char:1 Error: Type Mismatch code:0 URL:http://localhost2525/tools/personalsettings/dialogs/personalsettings.aspx?clientid= etc etc Please let me know if any one knows how to fix this issue, thanks. Kyaw ...

FRx
Dear, I encountered problem of changing default base period. The version of FRx software is 6.5.28 and it is running under Windows 2K Professional. The situation was: After opened the Catalog of Report Window, there was a pop-up message box which said 'Changed the default base period to C'. I did not know why this could happen. - Would you please tell me under what circumstances this pop-up message box would display?? In order to continue to use this software, I only could click 'OK' from the message box. The report date is then changed to 'Default Base Period' - (Ja...

Combine part of text from one col to another
I'm trying to combine only part of a string from one column with all th text of another column. For instance I want to create usernames to log into a network. If col has Bill and col2 has Smith I want to get just the B from col1 an combine it with col2 to make smithb in a new column. Thanks in advance -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try this: -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== =B1&LEFT(A1) "epac135 >" <...

Changing a username/address
Hello, I work with someone who just changed her name, and I'm trying to figure out how to change it on the Exchange (2000) server. I changed the username in Active Directory (also 2000), but messages from the user still have the old name in the Sender field. Also, when I point to the mailbox for saving messages, it has the new name (Mailbox - New Name) until restarting Outlook, and then it has the old name. Do I have to Exmerge out the mail, delete the account, re-create the account, change the name of the .pst file and import the mail? Thanks in advance! Jeff Follow these steps: =...

Change the sender to the previous owner when a lead is reassigned
Business scenario is as folllows: A new lead fires a workflow which sends an email to the lead with the owner as the sender. When the lead is reassigned, they want an email to have the PREVIOUS owner as the sender. There is no facility in email to change the SENDER in the email. What is the recommended solution - callout, etc. -- Paul Doyon CRM Consultant -- Paul Doyon CRM Consultant Hi Paul, Very right, Callout is the solution. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.m...

On startup text to speech installation keeps appearing
Dear All When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel continues to load saying: "Text to Speech - This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" I dont want to install it but this KEEPS coming up, any ideas? Thanks Adam Someone answer please !!!!! >-----Original Message----- >Dear All > >When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel >continues to load saying: > >"Text to Speech - This feature is not currently >installed. Would you like to install it now?" > >I dont want to inst...

How to change a bar to line in a combo chart?
I am currently using Excel & PPt 2000 and cannot figure out how to control which rows of data are displayed as a bar or line in a combunation chart. In PPt it combo bar/line chart defaults to the last row only as a line and in Excel it seems to have half as a bar/ half as a line. Any suggestions? In the chart, select the series you want changed. Then, select Chart | Chart Type... and pick the desired type+subtype. When a single series is selected the chart type choice applies only to that one series. -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-...

Change database source for pivot table
Hi I've built a pivot table based on an Oracle database. however I want to change the source database (from test to live) but can't figure out how to change the source database. Any ideas? Cheers Neil Just answered my own question, in the query go into table definition and change the database "Neil" <neil@funkcity.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:%23yauyKKpFHA.620@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I've built a pivot table based on an Oracle database. > > however I want to change the source database (from test to live) but can't > figu...

Remove Data Format Change
I have a program that puts a database's data into an excel spreadsheet. The problem is that Excel is constantly changing the numbers to dates, which corrupts the data. I know I can switch the column data type to Text and that will fix it, but the problem is that when the data is written to the spreadsheet it overwrites that column data type and Excel does the formatting that changes my data. How can I turn this off so Excel stops trying to recognize data types and change their format? Please help because this is causing major problems for us. Thanks, ACFalcon >>I have a ...

Line Graph: Changing X/Y Axis'
Can somebody please help to recommend a tutorial or simple directions on creating a chart in Office 2007 that will show how to create a simple line chart (2-D is fine) that gives flexibility in flipping the x and y axis? This seems challenging in 2007... Thanks. You cannot 'flip' a Line chart. In a Line chart the x axis has category values and if flipped this would give category values to the y axis which must have numeric values. But you can readily flip an XY chart. Click the chart; from the Chart Tools select Design; Click Select Data; now use Edit. In the Edit dialog, select ...

External data changes not reflected
I am frustrated by something that is probably simple and due to my lac of knowledge... I had some 10 rows of external data (a named range in anothe spreadsheet) and I was copying it in just fine. Then I extended the source to have 20 rows and changed the length o the named range now when I refresh the data in the destination it onl brings in the first 10 rows. Even If I create a NEW desination workbook file it still doesn't pic up my new BIGGER named range definition(so it isn't something local t the WKS file) I presume it muct be keeping some definition around in cache or in ...

Changing the window style of a control
Hi all... I have placed a list view control on a dialog using resource editor. That list control has initially no border, but I need to place the border programatically. I tried using: SetWindowLong(m_lstDocs.GetSafeHwnd(), GWL_STYLE, m_lstDocs.GetStyle() | WS_BORDER); And m_lstDocs.ModifyStyle(0, WS_BORDER); In OnInitDialog handle, where m_lstDocs is the CListCtrl assotiated with the control on dialog resouce. All of that didn't do anything on the list view appearance. I tried using that calls in OnCreate method too but the control isn't created yet, because its HWND ...

attribute size not changed in mapping view
I changed the size of an attribute to 50 but when I go to relationships and try to map the attribute I see the size in ( ) as 100 still and I get an error message stating the source entity attribute is too large to map to the target entity attribute. I am trying to map a new attribute new_building from account to billto_line2 in order request form. The new attribute was originally created with maximum length of 100 but I have changed the length to 50. I can go into attributes and see the maximum length as 50. Billto_line2 is nvar 50. I am running CRM 3.0. I published all my changes a...

Displaying daily quote changes
I am a new user to MS Money who recently migrated from Quicken. I can't seem to find a way that will give me daily quote changes in my portfolio. This is Jan. 26, 2008 and it does give me the change but its not a trading day. It also has the same data as the 1-25-08 which it should. If I try to go back to January 22, it just shows the price for the 22 but not the change. Right click in a blank area within the column headers and then click "customize current view". This should show all the fields that can be added, including the "daily change". Frank "ygold...

Publisher 03, how do I apply a change to all pages in a calendar?
I created a 12-page calendar - a full page per month. How can I change a font and have it apply to all 12 pages? Similarly, how can I add a graphic and have it show on all pages? Thanks! Click the font scheme, it should be on the calendar task bar, if not open it from the format menu. Select a font scheme or create one of your own. The graphic is simple enough, insert it on the first page, paste it on the next 11. It should paste exactly where it was placed on page one. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "EddieP...

order number and invoice sequences
When we enter an order in great plains, the order is assigned a number. A packing slip is then generated with the same number. Then when transferred to an invoice for billing the system assigns an invoice number that is not the same. How do we maintain the same number through out the process? Ken, Out of the box, there isn't a way to do this. When you transfer a document from one to the other- the document number to be used is just pulled from the next invoice number which most likely won't match your order. So what you are looking at is that you enter an order with perhaps OR...

can auto text be used in excel
can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? You can enter data in a table in Word then transfer it to Excel. "Me" wrote: > can auto text be used in excell like it can in word? ...

Exchange 2000 Server will be change IP address
We will change Exchange 2000 Server IP address . Which we need to reconfig? Exchange Server will be use private IP. 1. Which port require to open in firewall? 2. Which we need to reconfig in exchange? I change IP address in TCP/IP only. 1. You'll need to update the firewall to reflect a new prt 25 forwarding as well as 80/443 if you're providing OWA. 2. Exchange won't need any changes. Just do an nbtstat -R and an ipconfig /registerdns after you change the IP -- Thanks, Brian Desmond Windows Server MVP www.briandesmond.com "TONY" <TONY@discussions.micros...