changing columns into rows

I'm a novice using Excel 2007 in W 7.
I have an existing database where I would like to change things so that
the rows become columns and vice versa.  Is there a way to automatically
do that or do I need to recreate the spreadsheet from scratch?

Thanks, Jeff
0
Jeff
4/30/2010 5:12:41 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Depends upon the layout but have a look at Transpose in Help.

You may be able to simply copy and paste special>transpose.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:12:41 -0400, "Jeff@nospam.fake" <Jeff@nospam.fake>
wrote:

>I'm a novice using Excel 2007 in W 7.
>I have an existing database where I would like to change things so that
>the rows become columns and vice versa.  Is there a way to automatically
>do that or do I need to recreate the spreadsheet from scratch?
>
>Thanks, Jeff

0
Gord
4/30/2010 7:21:52 PM
<Jeff@nospam.fake> wrote:

>I'm a novice using Excel 2007 in W 7.
>I have an existing database where I would like to change things so that
>the rows become columns and vice versa.  Is there a way to automatically
>do that or do I need to recreate the spreadsheet from scratch?

I have done this a few times, but not recently. As I recall, I was
able to use the Transpose option of Paste Special.

I just tried a little test case. I created a 2x3 table:

   A  B  C
1  1  2  3
2  4  5  6

I then selected the block (A1:C2) and used copy (Ctrl-C).

I then placed the cursor on another cell, say E1 and used Paste
Special (Alt-Ctrl-V). When the Paste Special options panel popped up,
I selected Transpose in the lower right (Alt-E) and pressed Enter. The
result is:

   E  F
1  1  4
2  2  5
3  3  6

Is that what you need?

I'm using Excel 2007.
0
Prof
4/30/2010 8:44:13 PM
On 4/30/2010 4:44 PM, Prof Wonmug wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 13:12:41 -0400, "Jeff@nospam.fake"
> <Jeff@nospam.fake>  wrote:
>
>> I'm a novice using Excel 2007 in W 7.
>> I have an existing database where I would like to change things so that
>> the rows become columns and vice versa.  Is there a way to automatically
>> do that or do I need to recreate the spreadsheet from scratch?
>
> I have done this a few times, but not recently. As I recall, I was
> able to use the Transpose option of Paste Special.
>
> I just tried a little test case. I created a 2x3 table:
>
>     A  B  C
> 1  1  2  3
> 2  4  5  6
>
> I then selected the block (A1:C2) and used copy (Ctrl-C).
>
> I then placed the cursor on another cell, say E1 and used Paste
> Special (Alt-Ctrl-V). When the Paste Special options panel popped up,
> I selected Transpose in the lower right (Alt-E) and pressed Enter. The
> result is:
>
>     E  F
> 1  1  4
> 2  2  5
> 3  3  6
>
> Is that what you need?
>
> I'm using Excel 2007.
Thank you both.  I will explore transpose.

Jeff
0
Jeff

Changing Radians to Degrees
Hi, I am using Excell 2007, and I prefer to use degrees rather than radians. When I calculate Sin (angle), excel identifies the angle as in Radians. How can I make "degrees" to be my default unit of angles? Leo On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:34:13 +0300, "Leonard" <akwilapo@chem.udsm.ac.tz> wrote: >Hi, >I am using Excell 2007, and I prefer to use degrees rather than radians. >When I calculate Sin (angle), excel identifies the angle as in Radians. How >can I make "degrees" to be my default unit of angles? >Leo As far as I know, ...

how do you make a line of a chart change color halfway through?
How could you change the color of a line in a line chart so that at some point on the graph the line changes color? Say like the line chart shows data over the months of a year but at month July, the line on the chart changes from blue to green and is green the rest of the months. I am asking about 1 line being two colors. Hi, You could format each segment of the line. Select the series and then use the Right cursor to move through the segments. Note if you only have 1 series changing a section of the series will cause the legend to report each segment. The other way is to use multip...

Can I make a row "float"?
I would like to make a row float. So if I scroll down to row 211 or whatever, I will have one row tha will always be on top no matter how far down I scroll. Thanks in advance. dvcrogers@sbcglobal.ne -- dvcroger ----------------------------------------------------------------------- dvcrogers's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3262 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52413 Say you want row 4 to freeze Select row 4, then go to window and freez -- davesexce --------------------------------------------------------...

Change Folder List Text Color (2002)
Is there anyway to change the color of the text listed in the folder view? ie - "Inbox" text color from black to red, "Sent" from black to blue" No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, jsonne@verizon.net asked: | Is there anyway to change the color of the text listed in | the folder view? ie - "Inbox" text color from b...

Graphing Variable-length columns
Hi, I have a situation where I have a spreadsheet with 2 columns, A and B. Column A is the date and Column B is the # of bids we have submitted on that day. I create a graph based on those columns, that shows the date on the X-axis and the # on the Y-axis. But I would like the graph to be updated automatically everytime I add a new row to the spreadsheet. So that tomorrow, when I add the row for May 10, the chart will reflect May 10 without requiring me to recreate the chart. Is this possible? I've tried everything I can think of and it hasn't worked. Thanks! Ben merc1286@hot...

How to change Menu font in Outlook 2007?
Hi I hate new ClearType font in outlook2007, i can turn off Cleartype and change mail font, but cant change Menu font, now it use Segoe or Calibri without ClearType and it look awful. Thx No, it always uses Segoe UI. Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP] -------------- http://pschmid.net *** Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80 Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR): http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43 *** Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer OneNote 2007: http://pschm...

create chart /table excel-save, close & reopen colors change? Why
When I create a chart/table in Excel - save, close & reopen to use again, the colors have changed for my formating. How do I set the formating so that the colors stay the same - I have tried styles with no luck. The colors need to be the company approved. Thank you, Anne, I am unable to reproduce yr problem. Excel should NOT override yr manual settings. However,you can set yr company colours as default under Tools/Options/[Color tab]. Here are the colours Excel uses by default for the workbook. (Under that thin line you see the defaults for fill and line colours.) Hope this...

Setting Column Width on Imported Data
Hi all, I would like to know if it is possible to set the column width of a column I am importing to Excel from Access. I need this column for what I'm doing in the Excel file, but I don't want it so wide, or would even like it hidden. Problem is everytime the data gets updated the column goes back to really wide. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lori. ...

Adding on to a formula across rows and columns
I need to add a second section of a formula onto an existing formul across rows and columns. The problems are: -Not all cells currently contain formulas (some are blank) -Not all the formulas are the same (there are at least 2 different formulas among all the existing formulas that I want to add that secon formula or section to)...and the different formulas are somewha interspersed. -Some of the existing formulas contain relative references (I want t change them to absolute references) -If I use relative references to somehow copy a portion of a formul across all remaining rows and columns,...

How to change page number font/color
I have inserted page numbers into a 30-page document using the Insert command. How may I change the font size and color of the numbers. Ideally I'd like to create a number with a line above it. cuig wrote: > I have inserted page numbers into a 30-page document using the Insert > command. How may I change the font size and color of the numbers. Ideally > I'd like to create a number with a line above it. You can change the format of your page numbers just like the format of any other text. Ctrl+M to get to your master page, select the number, then change the font...

Change Status Workflow
Is the Change Status workflow rule treated like a Manual workflow in that you have to manually apply the rule - or will it fire autmatically? I am creating a very simple WF but it seems to only work if I apply it manually. Here is my WF: When an Account is created and the AccountRatingCode is set to a certain value [in this case "Premier"] or when the AccountRatingCode is set to "Premier" for an exisitng Account then create a task for the account owner to call that Premier account. Also, will workflows fire on custom schema fields? Change Status only applies to ch...

Changing Comments on Sales Invoices and Returns
I have posted Invoices and Returns that have incorrect comments on them. I know that the Comments are held in the SOP30200 in a field called Comment ID. In this case they did not use an established Comment ID, so it's reflected as untitled on the document and blank in the table. I'm trying to find out if someone has attempted to alter comments after the documents have posted. If I pull the historical document up in Inquiry>Sales>Sales Document>Sales Order Processing Document Inquiry>Sales Transaction Inquiry Zoom, I can see the old comment. I just don't know...

Only Display records before and after a change in teh value of a f
I have a table that looks like the following RUNID | DATETIME | PROCESS 0001 1/1/09 1201 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1202 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1203 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1204 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1205 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1206 Body 0001 1/1/09 1207 Body 0001 1/1/09 1208 Body 0001 1/1/09 1209 Body 0001 1/1/09 1210 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1211 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1212 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1213 Neck 0001 1/1/09 1214 Body 0001 1/1/09 1215 Body 0001 ...

my switchboard prevents me making changes to the database
the database opens with a switchboard screen and doesn't provide access to all the database tools so I can make changes, open tables, etc. In Access 2000 and 2002 you would hold down the control or shift key when you opened the database and it turned off the switchboard control features to open normally. I'm using Office 2003. Is there a similar key to press and hold when you open a database to turn the switchboard feature off? Thanks! Holding down the shift key works exactly the same in Access 2003 as in previous versions. If it's not working for you, perhaps someone set ...

want to turn PT row data into column data
original data: name win loss score paul 1 325 Jane 0 1 225 walt 1 400 nancy 0 200 jane 1 300 nancy 1 200 paul 1 365 walt 1 350 when i create p.t. I get (or a vague approximation) paul win 2 loss 0 avg 345 jane win 1 loss 1 avg 260 walt win 1 loss 1 avg 375 nancy win 0 loss 2 avg 200 but this is what I would like: name win loss avg Paul 2 0 345 Jane 1 1 260 walt 1 1 375 nancy 0 2 200 ---------------------------- HOw? tx phynkel, Grab the g...

How to change cell data from all upper to title case
I need to change several columns of data from all upper case to Title Case. What formula should I use & How can I apply the formula to the data in each cell? Check out the Proper() function. It changes any case to title case, and can be copied from cell to cell to apply the formula to your data. Check out the Proper() function. It changes any case to title case and you can copy it to a range of cells to apply it to your data. You have other answers showing the use of the PROPER Function to act upon one cell at a time. If you want to change many cells at once you will need a mac...

maximum number of rows that can be coppied to clipboard
is there a maximum number of rows that can be copied to clipboard from a table? using access 2002 on XP, Roland wrote: > is there a maximum number of rows that can be copied to clipboard from a > table? using access 2002 on XP, I have Access 2003 when I tried to copy a table with 70,000 records it said the limit was about 65,000. gls858 65536 -- Regards - Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy "Roland" <Roland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CF98F875-56C6-4C22-8695-D8CFBE47D12E@microsoft.com... > is there a...

column size mis-match
Hello, In 3 of my stacked-column charts, the display size of one or more of the columns is smaller than the actual number it represents. When sliding my mouse over the column, is says 1,000: when looking at the column size vs the chart y-axis, is says 750. On another, it is 500 vs 250. In another chart, the numbers 332 and 782 are displayed as zero. When I change one of the numbers to 9999, is suddenly does display properly. How is this possible? A despairing texas Tonie! If it's a 3D chart, switch it back to a 2D chart. In stacked column charts, remember that the columns are a...

Public folders changes problem
Hi On Exchange 2007 I created public folder named "IT" and inside a calendar called "IT calnedar" that is used for all events in our IT department. It's strange when our secretary adds events into this calendar and mark them with different colors (categories) these changes (the right color for each event) are only shown in Outlook 2003 or OWA, but in Outlook 2007 all colors are mixed up. We all have Outlook 2007 in IT department, so we all see wrong colors, but when I try to log-on through OWA or with a test machine that has Outlook 2003 installed everything is O...

What Excel macro puts data in the NEXT row of a sheet?
I have a list of data in col B of sheet 2 which I need to copy and transpose into sheet 1, then delete the data in sheet 2 to use the form again to copy and transpose onto the next line in sheet 1. I have tried with a macro shortcut I've called ctrl + e. (I am really using the data form process but cannot because I have too many inputs). Is there a simple macro I can copy and paste? ...

changing date range for budget
I need for an annual budget to be from September to September not for the calendar year. Is there any way to do this? I have money 2002. Thanks! Unfortunately, the Annual Budget report appears to only display information for the year selected. However, you can customize the Monthly Budget report to cover 9/1 to 8/30 and report summary information. It won't be broken down by month, however. Derrick "Shari" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49a801c3e43d$901d1970$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I need for an annual budget to be from September to &g...

combine hide row macro with conditional formatting
I'm sure one of you gurus can solve this in a flash. I've recorded a simple macro to hide a row (Alt O, Alt R, Alt H) but I want it to run automatically based on a cell value. For example: If cell value "A1" is "x" then I want the macro to run, and repeat itself down the column "A2, A3" etcetera until it reaches a blank cell. Is there a way to plug my existing macro "hiderow" into Conditional Formatting for a column; or is there a simpler solution? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.c...

Autofit row height in only some rows
Is it possible to change this macro to only autofit the row height on rows 254-332 in the workbook? I am using this macro: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object) Application.EnableEvents = False Sh.Rows.AutoFit Sh.Rows("1.33").AutoFit Application.EnableEvents = True EndSub Thanks in advance for your help. VBA Code: -------------------- Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_SheetCalculate(ByVal Sh As Object) Application.EnableEvents = False Sh.Rows("254:332").AutoFit Application.EnableEvents = True ...

Changing the Colour of a comment
Hi I want to know in Excel 2003, when I enter in a comment the cell is flagged with a red indicator in the top right hand corner. Is there a way that I can change the colour of the indicator? Thanks Rob Rob, I don't think this is possible -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "Rob" <rbotterill@hspg.com> wrote in message news:%23My9Jc09FHA.2936@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi > > I want to k...

crm4 workflow "Record attribute change" and merge Account record
Hi, Wondering if anyone can give me a work-around or tell me if this is a bug... Currently, I have a workflow that is defined to be triggered on Account "Record attribute change" condition. The attribute is a bit field, Yes or No. I have checked all Account records are set to "No". When I merge 2 Account records, the workflow fires, which I don't think it should. How can I work-around this? Many thanks! SW SW, Consider hotfix KB953821: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953821 Peter Gernburd "SW" <SW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...