Changing Case #3

I have a large excel document that has been typed in upper case and I wish
to change it to Proper case ie. with initial capitals only. Is there an easy
way to do this, please.

Thanks, Robert

0
shackwa (2)
4/4/2006 3:30:11 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Robert,

The easiest way is probably to download the free Excel add-in "XL Extras"
from   http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware
It adds menu commands on the Format menu that will  change case in
whatever cells you select - Proper, Upper, Lower and Sentence case.
Plus it does other nice stuff.  Comes with a Word.doc install/use file.
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Robert S" <shackwa@tpg.com.au> wrote in message
I have a large excel document that has been typed in upper case and I wish
to change it to Proper case ie. with initial capitals only. Is there an easy
way to do this, please.

Thanks, Robert

0
jim.coneXXX (771)
4/4/2006 3:49:33 AM
actually you can use excel formula or VBA try this, example you want to
change the case of column A just write the formula in in column B
=Proper(A1)

or using VBA just copy this code then select the cell you want to
change then run this code.

Sub ProperCase()
Dim cell As Object
    For Each cell In Selection
    cell.Value = Application.WorksheetFunction.Proper(cell.Value)
    Next cell
End Sub

I hope this will help.

True that it will work for the selection, but the user should be warned
to only select the cells within the used range and to
never select entire columns.    You could  simply use  SpecialCells
or Usedrange to limit the macro so that the user does not have to be
picky about what is sleeted.

For solutions to the above and more tips on such a macro see
  Proper, and other Text changes -- Use of SpecialCells
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

The advantage to using and looking at macros is that you can see what
you have.    Addins are generally written by more experienced users but
you aren't likely to learn much about them.
---
HTH,