Change default filename

Hi,

Is there any way to change the default filename in excel 2003?

ie.  a blank file is opened and called: "Book X.xls"

Whereas, I want all files to be called: Finance_Planning_X.xls"

This way, I can save time by automatically having my file naming
convention built into Excel, and I won't have to remember it going
forward.

Thanks!

Chris
0
IAmChoop (8)
10/9/2008 8:27:02 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

About the best you can do would be to create a Template(*.XLT) and use that
as your default workbook.

Open new workbook.  Do any customizing you may need.

File>Save As>File Type>Template(*.xlt)

Name it Finance_Planning

Close it out.

File>New...Templates on my Computer.

Open Finance_Planning and you will get workbook named Finance_Planning1

Next time will increase to Finance_Planning2

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 01:27:02 -0700 (PDT), choop <IAmChoop@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Is there any way to change the default filename in excel 2003?
>
>ie.  a blank file is opened and called: "Book X.xls"
>
>Whereas, I want all files to be called: Finance_Planning_X.xls"
>
>This way, I can save time by automatically having my file naming
>convention built into Excel, and I won't have to remember it going
>forward.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Chris

0
Gord

How to get Excel hyperlinks to open in non-IE default browser
Hello. I use an IE browser add-on called MyIE2 (www.myie2.com) which extends the functionality of IE. I have MyIE2 set as my default browser. If I click web site links in Outlook Express e-mail messages, they open in MyIE2, as they should. However, when I set up hyperlinks in Excel spreadsheets, they open in IE. Is there a registry setting or something I can do to cause hyperlinks to open in my default browser (MyIE2)? Thank you. Try Tools > Options > General > Web options >-----Original Message----- >Hello. I use an IE browser add-on called MyIE2 (www.myie2.com) whic...

How to change axes settings after adding trendline?
Before adding the trendline to my linear scatter plot, I set my Y axis to range from the desired -7 to -5 scale. After adding the trendline, the axis is changed to range from -7 to 0 which produces almost a flat line. How do I display the trendline on the previous -7 to -5 scale? Double-click on the axis, the Format Axis dialog box should appear. Then under the "Scale" tab of the Format Axis dialog box, you should be able to set the maximum and minimum (to -5 and -7). If that doesn't work, can you tell me what the equation for the trendline is? (Double-click on the trendli...

default home page
Does anyone know how to set a default outlook homepage through a reg edit? ...

changes to the queue list
In CRM you can make changes to a lot of views except the queue list view?? Is there a workaround? regards, Louis Louis, Queues are not a customizable entity so you can't modify the columns. - Marc "Louis" wrote: > In CRM you can make changes to a lot of views except the queue list view?? > > Is there a workaround? > > > regards, > Louis > Hi Louis, Actually you can edit the queue views. You'll just have to type in the correct URL directly in IE. You will first have to retrieve the right GUID from the SavedQuery table in the CRM databa...

Changing mode #2
I have installed a new Exchange 2003 server, moved all of my mailboxes from my 5.5, and pretty much completed all of the steps except: I cannot seem to get rid of the last couple of references to my 5.5 server. I have installed the 5.5 administrator and removed all references to the old server there, but the server still appears in the System Manager and the "System Configuration" system folder still has a replecation entry. When I try to remove the replecation entry, I enter the domain Administrator ID and password but I keep getting an error 80070005 - permission denial. T...

change scientific format of numbers
Hello, I'm trying to publish a paper to a scientific journal including graphs generated with Excel XP. When a log scale is used the journal format requires the scientific format of the axis numbers to be like 10^n (10 superscript the exponent number) rather than 1E+n as it is standard in Excel. Is there an easy way to change that format? Thanks, Gigi There is no way to do this with axis number - one of the weakness of Excel for scientific use. I expect you could fake it by using labels. How many graphs do you have? -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail...

Lead Viewed
Is there any functionality or way to change the icon to differentiate between leads that have allready been viewed. for example .. when a user opens Leads screen .. and it shows leads this week. if the user opens a lead and closes it. how does he know if he has allready opened it before, vs its a new unopened lead. thanks CRM will not show you leads that have been opened. It may be possible to write a post callout for an update as the modifiedon date will change for the lead when someone opens and saves it. You could change the title to highlight the fact it has already been actio...

Changing a Tab Control's properties at runtime
Hi, I have got a form on which is a basic Tab Control, what I would like to do is either change the colour of a tab when selected on add an embeded picture to it, then remove the colour/picture when another tab is selected. Is this possible and if it is how? Many Thanks Graham Stephen Lebans has a way to color the tabs: http://www.lebans.com/tabcolors.htm -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "Graham Naylor" <spam@spam2.co> wrote in...

changing multiple linked sources on same worksheet
I have, or want to have, a worksheet with multiple repetitive section (approx 15 rows each) with each section linked to a different sourc file. Each section has about 1500 linked cells, so I would rather no enter manually or cut and paste. Is there any way to link to a cel within each section that contains the source filename -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

font size refuses to change in a text box
I am having a problem changing font size in a text box. The font and size is available and also used on the same page! I am having a problem with the line spacing as well Could you send me that file? I have some ideas but....... Also, which version are you using? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Linda Burkhart" <Linda Burkhart@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B198D27-A41B-4742-9281-88F33754DEF9@microsoft.com... >I am having a problem changing font size in a text box. The font and size >is > available and also used on the same p...

Change line in Chart
Hello, I have the following question: I have an Excel chart with a target line. In some cases I want to have the target line as a dotted line, and sometines as a continuous line. Somewhere on the worksheet is a cell wich determines if it must be a dotted or continous line. Is it possible to make the chart in such way that if I change the cell for continuous/dotted, the line in the chart is updated automatically (from dotted to continuous or the other way). Thanks in advance, JeroenM. If you want it dotted in some places and a line in others, you'll need to have a series for the ...

Find/replace search field defaults
I have a workbook with multiple sheets. When I use Find/Replace, I generally want to search across all fields. The default "Search within" is set at "Sheet" so I have to change it each time I open the workbook. How can I set this default to be "Workbook" so I don't have to change it each time? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

change colors of pie chart slices
I would like to have 2 different colored pie slices in my chart. But unless I choose Automatic, which gives me colors I don't want, I can only get single colored pies. I have checked the box to vary colors by slice, but still all slices are the same. Any ideas? Thanks! ...

value changes after hitting Tab or Enter button
On any spread Sheet i open up on this particular computer. If i type 2008 in a cell and after hitting enter, it will change the value to 2009. If I type in 2009, it will change it to 2010 after hitting enter or tab. But it will not change the value if I type in 2005, 2006, 2007. There are no formulas being applied to the cells or the spread sheet at all. This will happen with any new spread sheet created, and even old ones that have been in place for years. Any help would be appreciated. is it possible that these were made to change via auto correct (tools>autocorrect opti...

Change SiteMap URL for Outlook Client
Hello, we are simply trying to redirect the URL of the root Microsoft Dynamics CRM folder in outlook to a different web page. I thought we just had to make the following entry in the sitemap but none of the clients appear to be getting the update. Is there something else that needs to be done? Thanks for the help... <ImportExportXml version="4.0.0.0" languagecode="1033" generatedBy="OnPremise"> <Entities> </Entities> <Roles> </Roles> <Workflows> </Workflows> <SiteMap> <SiteMap Url=&quo...

Default backup location
When backing up the database, it used to default to the previous location you backed up to. Since upgrading to RMS 2.0 it now defaults to My Documents and you have to re-navigate to the appropriate location. Does anybody know how to change it back to the way it used to be so that it defaults back to the last location to which you backed up? Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this... Wendy In case you don't get a better answer .... I put a shortcut in My Docs to my backup folder. At least it is only one extra click this way, but I will watch this thread to see if there is a real ...

Using track changes/review
Does Publisher 2007 have a track changes and/or review feature similar to other Office Products? No... -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Linell" <Linell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:337BDE5E-0C0C-4258-8B6F-F9F0ABDAED25@microsoft.com... > Does Publisher 2007 have a track changes and/or review feature similar to > other Office Products? ...

Is there a way to make a global change to multiple Customers?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000F_01C9E446.DDB8A8C0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello Every one, I have about 160 Customers in list ONE and then about 200 Customers in = list TWO and I wish to make a change in the payment terms from net 30 to = Pre-payment. I can pull the dat using smart List, but wonder if there a = tool or trick to populate/make the change once for all instead of going = into each individual customer account using CARDS? Or if I export the list from smart list t...

Default Font Setting in Excel Comments
How do I change the default setting for the font in an Excel Comment from Tahoma 8 pt.? It might help for me to say that this is in Excel 2003. Thx in advance for help. >-----Original Message----- >How do I change the default setting for the font in an >Excel Comment from Tahoma 8 pt.? >. > To change the default font size (this will also change the settings for tooltips in Excel and other programs): Right-click on the desktop, and choose Properties On the Appearance tab, click Advanced. From the Item dropdown, choose Tooltip Choose a font Size, click OK, click OK (No...

Globally change part of a field
I have a text field that holds the file location of a picture. The content looks like this: H:\Access Data\Personnel Pictures\picturefile.bmp The "picturefile.bmp" is different for every record. Everything preceding it is identical in all records. I've moved the folder with all the pictures to a new location and need to update this field to the following: S:\Everyone\Member Database\Personnel Pictures\picturefile.bmp So basically, I need to swap out "H:\Access Data" for "S:\Everyone\Member Database" in every record. How so? Thanks in advance. Jer...

Change Control Source
I am using one form for two slightly different purposes. I want to be able to have one txt box have 2 different Data control source's. 1 = existing customer 2 =new customer So something like "on open event" if "txtboxusedTodiffertiatebetweenforms =1 then me.txtboxXXXXX.property.ControlSource = tblx.fld1 else me.txtboxXXXXX.property.ControlSource = tbly.fld2 end if In short can I change the control source on the fly. I hope this is fairly clear. -- Thanks for any assistance NNlogistics wrote: >I am using one form for two slightly different purposes....

Active Directory Structure Changed, CRM down
Hi, I recently made changes to our Active Directory structure including moving users into new organisation levels. As a result CRM 1.2 is no longer responsive. Screen Error: Error Description: Unspecified error Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Error Number: 0x80004005 Source File: Not available Line Number: Not available Date: 07-17-2006 Time: 7:13:44 PM Type: Platform Error (2) Server: crm Query String: /Default.aspx The errors reported in the application log are much the same. One of the things I though of was migrating the database which s...

Changing Inventory value without affecting quantities
Hi, Is there a way to change the value of the inventory without changing the quantities. In this particular scenario a transaction has been posted without a particular value. Now it was realised that the value was high. However the quantities are correct. Now only the value in the inventory needs to be reduced without changing the quantities. Thanks in anticipation. Regards Ramesh Yes, if you are on a perpetual costing method. The current cost can be adjusted using: Tools->Utilities->Inventory->Adjust Costs Make sure that the items that were mis-costed are still in invento...

Drop down list default value
hi there i've got a drop down list. i want a default value in the list and at the same time be able t change it to a different value if needed. can anyone help please? many thank -- babi ----------------------------------------------------------------------- babiq's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2548 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=40108 Enter the default value in the cell, and users can choose a different value from the list, if required. babiq wrote: > hi there > > i've got a drop d...

How do I set my webpage to automatically update a changing spread.
I am wanting to create a webpage that gets updated everytime the Excel spreadsheet gets changed. The spreadsheet will be changing twice a day. I just want specific information (which is in different cells on the spreadsheet) to be on the web page. Can I do this or do I just need to create a summary sheet and update that information myself twice a day? ...