change cell shading when a number differs from the previous number

I am generally familiar with Excel, but need some help on this particular
problem.

Is there a way to apply a format where:  whenever the number in a column
differs from the one previous to it, a cell shading color change is applied.

For example, you have a column of numbers in Excel:

5 (cell shading color change applied)
2 (cell shading color change applied)
3 (cell shading color change applied)
etc....

It doesn't matter what color is used, just so that it is applied whenever
there is a change from the previous number.

There has got to be an easy answer to this.... thanks so much in advance for
any help!
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can use Format|Conditional formatting...

Select A2 to Axxx (bottom of range) and with A2 the activecell:

Format|conditional formatting
Cell value is:  "NOT EQUAL TO"
rightmost text box:  =a1

And give it a nice format.

--

Dave Peterson
0

I need a message if number of duplicate records exceeds number allowed
Thanks in advance for any help. I'm trying to create If DCount code on my form that will count the number of duplicate records and then notify me when the number of duplicate records exceeds the number allowed. The number of duplicates allowed is established in tblFloorProgCriteria in the field FloorProgMaxObservations. Here's what I have so far...It's giving me the message as soon as I attempt to add the first record. If DCount("*", "tblFloorProgAudit", "[AuditID] = " & Me.[AuditID] & " And [FloorProgCriteriaID] = "...

change the text in the legend of a chart w/o changing pivot text
I am trying to create a series of pie charts that compares demographic data for clients assisted with multiple housing-related activities (new homebuyer, rehab, foreclosure prevention, etc.) If I want to look at the age of new homebuyers, on my pivot table I deselect all activities except new homebuyer. After I make my pie chart, in the legend the labels are "new homebuyer 18-24", "new homebuyer 25-34", etc. It's pretty self-explanatory that these are all "new homebuyers". I need for the New Homebuyer part to not be shown in the legend, but I can...

Changing Function to use a Date Input
Hi. can anyone please advise me on how to change the function keys.. sa F10, F11 & F12 to use to input a date into a cell. EG. F10 to be 01/01/04 F11 to be 02/01/04 F12 to be 03/01/04 What I require is to go to any cell and press the relevant function ke to Input the associated date Any help would be greatly appreciate Many thank Rob PS using Excel 200 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com First, I'm not sure if you entered Jan 1, 2004, Feb 1, 2004, and Mar 1, 2004 or Jan 1st-3rd, 2004. Here are a couple of macros. The first turns this on, the second turns it...

Page number functions in Word are dimmed and don't work. What now
I use Office Home & Student 2007. I cannot insert page numbers into my Word document. I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. What can I do to restore the page numbering function? Place your cursor in a header or footer. On Feb 8, 7:19=A0pm, A Tai <a...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I use Office Home & Student 2007. =A0I cannot insert page numbers into my= Word > document. =A0I could not find Microsoft Office's "Add-ins" either. =A0Wha= t can I > do to restore the page numbering function? A page number...

Determine cells that drive conditional formatting?
Example: Cells A1:A4 have conditional formatting set up that states if they are equal to cell A10 they will be highlighted yellow. Is there a way to quickly see what cells drive conditional formatting? In other words, we can use Edit -> Go To Special to see which cells have conditional formatting applied; however, this doesn't show us that A10 is involved. Since there isn't a formula directly involved, we can't trace precedents/dependents. Can we only know that A10 is involved in the formatting of A1:A4 by selecting those cells and going into the conditional format...

Count "," in a cell
Dear expert, Is it possible to count "," in a cell please? I used this ... but does not work =COUNTIF(FO93,",") Say below ... can it be solved? 2,5,3 22,25,5 5,2,3,4 Try this… =LEN(FO93)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(FO93,",","")) Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "Elton Law" wrote: > Dear expert, > > Is it possible to count "," in a cell please? > > I used this ... but does not work > > =COUNTIF(FO93,",&qu...

Changing Default DURATION value of 30 min. in activities
Is there a way to change the 30 min. default value in activity types? Even if through the database? Thanks, Oliver The Duration field is represented as a picklist on the activity form. Picklist values can usually be customised through the CRM user interface which would allow you to change the default and add additional values. However, at present the CRM Activity form is not customisable through any supported method. Maybe in a future release. ...

How do you change the data and input data into a chart on Excel?
Jon Peltier's Excel chart info may be useful to you. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ "unclemoko" <unclemoko@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9AF9FAFA-B657-4C21-A4CA-56B81EC5C27B@microsoft.com... > ...

1 Cell 2 Values?
Hello All, Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated by a comma and spaces? For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was positive and the number of times a value was negative and in the cell I want it to show A1: +, - Is this possible? Thanks to all, Shhhh Shhhh wrote... >Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated >by a comma and spaces? > >For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was >positive and the number of times a value was negative a...

text to fit in cell
How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able to print the page with all of the words in the cell even if it has to make the cell larger, without going over into the next cell. How do I do this? Hi goto 'Format - Cells - alignment' and check 'Wrap text' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany DaveB wrote: > How do I make the text fit in a cell. I want to be able > to print the page with all of the words in the cell even > if it has to make the cell larger, without going over > into the next cell. How do I do this? Dave Format>Cells>Alignm...

Totaling cells from separate worksheets to master form
If I have 2 separate worksheets with individual cell values and want the total to show the sum of obth cells, how do I do it? Nelson Suppose those values are in F10 on one sheet and in G6 of the other sheet, then put this in the appropriate cell of your master sheet: =3DSheet1!F10 + Sheet2!G6 to add them both together. If your actual sheet names contain spaces you will need to include apostophes around the sheet name, like: =3D'First Sheet'!F10 + 'Second Sheet'!G6 Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 21, 10:31=A0pm, snake941 <snake...@discussions.micros...

Changing data from imported .txt file
When i import data from an old (dos based) program negative numbers appear with the minus behind the number. Does anyone have any idea how i can change them all from 1,234.56- to -1,234.56 so Excel will recognise them? Changing them by hand takes forever. Thank you. If you're using xl2002+ and are using File|Open to open a text file, you'll see a wizard popup. On step 3 of that wizard, there's an advanced button. Click it. There's an option to treat trailing minus signs as negative numbers. If you already have the data in the worksheet, you can use... Dana DeLouis pos...

How do I change headings for columns from numbers to letters? #2

How do I change the user ID for a financial institution?
I had to change my user ID for chase.com because someone kept trying to hack into my account and locking it. Where within Money 2006 can I change my user ID for a particular financial institution? I see where I can change the password for a financial institution, but not the user ID. Thanks. =?Utf-8?B?TWljaGFlbA==?= <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote on 03 Jan 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > I had to change my user ID for chase.com because someone kept trying > to hack into my account and locking it. Where within Money 2006 can > I change my user ID for ...

Format Excel cells
Anyone could help me to solve this problem : How to format the selected cells so that it allows other users to "paste values" only(number from 0 to 100) to the cells. It rejects "paste" function which put formula, format etc into the cells. Thanks a million ! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreade...

cells changing from number to date
I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? What are you inputting, a fraction?if so, format as # ??/?? -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "mwhite@srgmac.com" <mwhite@srgmac.com@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E71CED6D-8370-44D1-A4BF-9A6B352205F3@microsoft.com... > I am putting a number in a cell, then tabbing to the next cell, the previous > cell changed from a number to a date. How do I keep the number there? ...

How do I search for a telephone number in Contacts
How do I search for a telephone number in a sub-folder of Contacts? When I try a search for a number, that I know is there, it comes up blank. Regards, Peter Ledden ...

Number lock key on the computer key pad
Hi, I have come across a weird situation with respect to number lock key. Before the transaction I make sure that the number lock key is ON, then I scan few items, and after I finish the transaction I find the number lock key is automatically turned off. So on next transaction I have to manually turn it on to punch the tender amount. I have tried rebooting the computer, resetting the key pad, resetting the scanner, but none helps. Has anyone else encountered this condition, and is there any fix for that? Thanks, Vaidehi Vaidehi, Never seen it happen. Here's a link to always tur...

Problem
i all I am having a strange issue with my excell file since a while. This is the second year I am using it without problem. I start a workday with a new sheet so every morning I just copy (Edit/Move or Copy Sheet) the latest sheet, rename it and use it. All of a suddent when I perform this operation I have a prompt that says "a formula or sheet you want to move or copy contains the name 'aaa', which exists in the destination worksheet. Do you want to use this version of the name?" I would hit yes to proceed, then I would get over 50 other prompts with differ...

Empty cell in vlookup
hi, is there a way to have a vlookup see an empty cell and rather than filling it in with a 0 it could leave it blank? here's my vlookup formula =IF(A21="","",VLOOKUP(A21,'PN Source Code'!$A$1:$H$25,8,FALSE)) Thank you in advance for your help :) =IF(A21="","",if(VLOOKUP(A21,'PN Source Code'!$A$1:$H$25,8,FALSE)="","",VLOOKUP(A21,'PN Source Code'!$A$1:$H$25,8,FALSE))) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "confused" wrote: ...

Fillin fields in template behave differently on different workstat
Simple fillin fields for a fax saved and stored as a template do not update when accessed e.g. file, new, "fax.dot" on one PC will automatically bring up field but same template on another PC will create a new document but not run the fields. I know I can write VB code to update fields but this then runs fillin fields twice on some PCs. Also when fillin fields run cannot see document behind the input boxes (some PCs only). Thanks in advance Lulu On 31/05/2010 9:12 AM, LuLu wrote: > Simple fillin fields for a fax saved and stored as a template do not update > ...

How do I return to prior cell?
After I have traced a formula using Ctrl+[, what is the keyboard shortcut to return to the same cell where I traced the formula? Thank you! Press Ctrl+] Remember to Click Yes, if this post helps! -------------------- (Ms-Exl-Learner) -------------------- "NYC18" wrote: > After I have traced a formula using Ctrl+[, what is the keyboard shortcut to > return to the same cell where I traced the formula? > > Thank you! Thank you, but I can only get Ctrl+] to work if all the referenced cells are within one worksheet. If I am writing formulas usi...

Unwelcome color changes
Any clues what went wrong here? I've been using a spreadsheet for about 2 years. It gets used almost everyday. Over time I've created perhaps 6 or 8 custom colors in the color palette. The sheet is all numbers and I have used color extensively to highlight various cells. Yesterday for the first time I created a new window while using this spreadsheet and had different workbook pages open in each one. I updated data in only one window. After a while I saved the file and exited, then backed it up. Today when I opened it I found these problems with the colors. First, all my custo...

Change public folders
I setup HMC 3.5 and created a new public folder store for hosted accounts. Every account i setup gets an error on send about the offline address book, error no. 0x8004010F I believe this is caused because the organizations are using the hosted folder store, not the default public store. Looking through system manager, all of the folders seem to be created in the Public folder store but the HMC ResourceManagerWebClient/QueryResources.aspx displays the organizations under the Hosted Public Store. How do i move the organizations between the two folder stores? TIA, Moe myarmush at real-war...

thousand separator as indian style for negative number
hi every body we in india to any number put comma as stated below ie 15,13,10,565.00 fifteen crores thirteen lacs ten thousand five hundred sixty five only 00,00,00,000.00 but excel we have only thousand separator.it separates the number afte every thousand. can it possible in excel to formate number as per our style. 00,00,00,000.00 for both + and - numbers. if possible please guide me kamlaka -- kamlaka ----------------------------------------------------------------------- kamlakar's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=328 View this thread: http://www.ms...