Cells WON'T stop refreshing automatically

I have a workbook with many worksheets and links that I
need to publish externally with links locked so that users
won't get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
links..." message.

I have gone into <Tools> <Options> <Calculation>,
unchecked the <Update Remote References> checkbox, and
saved the workbook; however, each time I reopen the saved
workbook, the <Update Remote References> checkbox has been
rechecked by some mischevious gremlin, and I invariably
get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
links..." message. I have tried the above steps with each
of the 3 calculation radio buttons selected (Automatic,
Manual, & Automatic except tables), but that didn't work.
I tried copying and pasting each worksheet with the
<Values> checkbox selected, but that didn't work either.
Couldn't find this issue reported in Newsgroups or the
Knowledgebase.

Any ideas on how to put the smackdown on this gremlin and
stop the <Update Remote References> checkbox from getting
rechecked?

I am using Microsoft Excel 2000 SP3 for Windows.

Many thanks,

Chris
0
anonymous (74722)
9/1/2004 5:29:09 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Try going into Tools>Options>Edit and uncheck "ask to update automatic links".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 10:29:09 -0700, "Christopher Dawes"

>I have a workbook with many worksheets and links that I
>need to publish externally with links locked so that users
>won't get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
>links..." message.
>
>I have gone into <Tools> <Options> <Calculation>,
>unchecked the <Update Remote References> checkbox, and
>saved the workbook; however, each time I reopen the saved
>workbook, the <Update Remote References> checkbox has been
>rechecked by some mischevious gremlin, and I invariably
>get the "The workbook you opened contains automatic
>links..." message. I have tried the above steps with each
>of the 3 calculation radio buttons selected (Automatic,
>Manual, & Automatic except tables), but that didn't work.
>I tried copying and pasting each worksheet with the
><Values> checkbox selected, but that didn't work either.
>Couldn't find this issue reported in Newsgroups or the
>Knowledgebase.
>
>Any ideas on how to put the smackdown on this gremlin and
>stop the <Update Remote References> checkbox from getting
>rechecked?
>
>I am using Microsoft Excel 2000 SP3 for Windows.
>
>Many thanks,
>
>Chris

0
Gord
9/1/2004 8:46:10 PM
Not an answer to your question, but if you want the values frozen, why not just
copy|paste special|values -- at least for those cells with links to other
workbooks.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Thanks,

Chris

0
anonymous (74722)
9/2/2004 4:25:14 PM
Hi Dave,

I had already tried that, but still received the prompt.
Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

0
anonymous (74722)
9/2/2004 4:29:08 PM
If you converted all your formulas to values, then maybe you have links in other
spots--defined names for instance.

When I can't find those pesky links, I use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.bmsltd.ie/MVP/Default.htm

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

how do i delete cells or duplicate cells in a table ?
I went to make a table with 8 colums and 3 rows, which turned out fine..but now i need to make 3 more rows added on but half the size long with only 2 colums.. so i figure i can just duplicate or copy from my table 3 of these rows and shirk it and delete 1 cell...but trying to get help on how to add or remove cells seems the hard part ...

CELL FORMATTING #9
WHY IS MY CELL FORMAT AT WORK DISPLAYED PROPERLY AS -1,500.OO IS DISPLAYED AS (1,500.00) AND WHEN i DO IT AT HOME Ii CANNOT GET THE CLOSEST I GOT IS -1,500.00 is there a diffence between the formatting cell options between Excel's programs.. Thanx. Hi Bumpa! Excel takes it from your Windows Regional options. Use: Start > Settings > Control Panel > Regional options Change the negative number format You'll find that you now have () options. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classific...

automatic addresses in to:,cc: and bcc: fields, how to edit, delete, etc.
I don't know what it is called, but when you go to enter the names in the To, CC, and BCC in Outlook they automatically pop up. Very nice option. For example, when I go to write Tara Lewis. I write Tara and it finds the rest and pops/fills in the field. Well, this name is in a list somewhere. Where is this list, what is it called? And this list is not the same as "contacts." I'm trying to find out how to delete, edit, change, add in this list. For example. My friend Brian has two entries. One correct and one incorrect, spelled Brain. So when I write B - R it puts u...

Automatically include new code.
It would be nice to have a dex.ini option to have the system not prompt when including code from a new (or updated) chunk file. This way we could push updates to our clients and not deal with the support calls (which we'll get even if we send out an email ahead of time telling them to click "yes" when prompted). ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open ...

automatically add date to email #2
Is there a way to add a date code to an email so it automatically grabs the date from the computer system. Thanks, ddlaz The header/properties of the msg will have both date and time appended, or are you saying you want to add the date to the body of your msg? "ddlaz" <ddlaz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:5uudnfiurtYf9PzfRVn-sw@comcast.com... > Is there a way to add a date code to an email so it automatically grabs the > date from the computer system. > Thanks, ddlaz > > Will setting the date in the header allow the date to automatically display eac...

Hyperlinks not moving with cells when data is sorted
I have a spreadsheet where I have included hyperlinks. When I sort the data or add new rows, the hyperlinks are NOT moving to the new destination of the cell. Big problem! How do I get Excel to keep the hyperlink moving with the cell, wherever it may go? Using Excel 2003. Thanks. -- Marina ...

change date in a sql statement from a cell
Hello, I am using Excel 2007 I have a pivot table that gets refresh everyday. The data from the pivot table is based on a sql statement, which the data is connected to a AS/400 table. Here is my problem every morning I go in the connection properties and change the SQLstatement (date) in the command text. I don't want my user to do this. What other option can I do? I was thinking change the date in a cell (A1) and somehow the SQL statement picks up the new date or maybe some sort of parameter, but I am clueless in how to do this. Any tips or website to visit I will a...

Unique Entries/Cell Back Color
I have two columns with Grant Numbers in each column coming from two different databases downloaded to an excel spreadsheet. I will need to first Match the Grant numbers and highlight the whole row if something is unique meaning there are duplicates,triplicates, one exist in one column but not in the other. I need your help! Thanks but for some reason this is not working. Should I put my formula in column C? I have two columns with data in cells A1-A6266 and data in column B1-B5016. I can see the formula it's not working in column C with the results. is there a command that ...

Return the name of cell to sheet name
How do I return the cell name to the sheet name. When I start a ne sheet I write a name in a cell and I want it to automatically renam the sheet to that cell name //Andrea Olsso -- AndreaOlsso ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AndreaOlsson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1651 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31367 introduce this in <thisworkbook> event code begins Private Sub Workbook_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range) ActiveSheet.Name =...

Chart Title or Text Box Linked to cell & sheet
I need to create charts from data collected via a com port. As i stands, the data is written to sheet 1. Chart 1 is ready to plot dat as it is written. Once the data is complete, I copy sheet 1 and char 1. This results in sheet 1(2) and Chart 1(2). All references to shee 1 on the newly created chart 1(2) automatically changes to refer t sheet 1(2). This applies to data ranges, Chart Title, Axis names. When creating text boxes refering to sheet1!$A$1, the reference doe not automacially change to sheet 1(2)!$A$1. Can this be done? If not, can I create multiple chart titles? Any help o...

Free Cell card game
Currently this card game appears at the top left of my 21 inch screen. I wish to have it in the centre touching the bottom of the screen each time it appears. How do I achieve this. Thank you for your interest. Bushy And your Microsoft Word question is? "Ernie from Dunedin NZ" <Ernie from Dunedin NZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E05D1650-D1CA-4E1C-96FB-CF8EC0D17277@microsoft.com... : Currently this card game appears at the top left of my 21 inch screen. : I wish to have it in the centre touching the bottom of the screen each time : it appe...

Export data from the same cell from multiple spreadsheets into a n
Hi, I am working with weekly timeshets in Excel and I am using the same form every week, but save it as a file named "Timesheet 20100122" for a week ending on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 (Our accounting week period). Therefore the daily hours appear every week in the same cell. I would need to export these hours to another - summarizing - spreadsheet (For example and invoice spreadsheet) somehow automatically. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks for your help, Cheers, Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

sorting cells
when I try to sort a spreadsheet by certain columns, why does it mix everything up? "mix everything up" is not very informative. More information, please: What columns are in your data range? By what columns are you sorting? What is the result you get? -TedMi "Help with cell function" <Helpwithcellfunction@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7886A10E-903D-40C9-8D2A-279090F2D644@microsoft.com... > when I try to sort a spreadsheet by certain columns, why does it mix > everything up? Be careful when you highlight the data that y...

Split text cell into seperate colums without splitting up a word
I have text cells with sentences ranging from 0 to 160 characters long. I want to break these into 40 character chunks (in separate cells), but don't want to split any word in half. ie, if the 40 char mark is in the middle of the work, I want to go backwards, find where the word starts and split from that point. It's exactly like a wrap text -- but I want to split those lines up into separate cells. thanks kaf If your sentence were in A1, use these 4 formulas: B1: =LEFT(A1,MAX((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("1:40")),1)=" ")*ROW (INDIRECT("1:40")))) C1: =LEF...

Refreshing a pivot table #2
I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying again in the hope that somebody knows the answer.....!! When using a pivot table, is it possible to refresh only certain columns rather than the whole table?? Any urgent help would be appreciated. Thank you. Louise You can't refresh only part of a pivot table. Perhaps you could make a copy of the source data, change only the data you want updated in the pivot table, and base the pivot table on that. Louise wrote: > I have posted this question before but didn't get any replies so am trying > ...

Exchange Information Store -- Stops
Hi, Recently at one of the Exchange server, emails stops working. When I recycle "MSExchangeIS --- Microsoft Exchange Information Store", it doesn't stop gracefully, so have to kill "Store.exe". This just happening since last week. No sure when it happens, as System logs doesn't have any errors. Any help, direction would be applicated. Thanks One of the warning messages I get is below Log Name: System Source: Microsoft-Windows-WAS Date: 6/4/2010 4:35:52 AM Event ID: 5138 Task Category: None Level: Warnin...

Hyperlink problem to cell in same workbook
I have a hyperlink created by a VB program that should link to a cell on a different worksheet within the same book. The hyperlink code currently is as follows: =HYPERLINK(ADDRESS(4,2,1,FALSE,"MultipleAliases"),"MULTIPLE DP ALIASES") MultipleAliases is a separate worksheet and I want the link to jump to row 4 cell 2 on this sheet. I realise that normally you need a spreadsheet identifier as part of the worksheet definition, thus the "MultipleAliases" would be "[FILE1.XLS]MultipleAliases" if this was saved as FILE1.XLS. If I do save this file wi...

Outlook Shuts Down Automaticly
I click on the Outlook 2003 icon, Outlook opens and I see my in-box and then it imediatly closes. I have reinstalled Outlook 2003 twice and it still happens. Mike C. ...

"Address" of current cell
Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that will return 'G9?' TIA Doug Hi Doug try =ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()) Frank Doug Mc wrote: > Is there a function that will return the "address" of the active cell? > In other words, if I'm on cell G9, it there a function I can use that > will return 'G9?' > > TIA > Doug Or slightly less typing =CELL("address") -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@fr...

Please stop e-mails
The virus found was: W32/Swen.A@mm from: maryse.bernard@videotron.ca daniel.ramirez@codetel.net.do ce.nedra75@tiscalinet.it tnc@mx1.tees.ne.jp soumubu@jasmine.ocn.ne.jp dnorwoood1@houston.rr.com w@blueyonder.co.uk ...

Rename Cell Name
hey all, i have change the cell anem from A1 to StartCell. Bu, how can i rename it back to A1 or change it to another name? Thanks in advance Regards Dragon Hi Dragon go into insert / name / define - you can delete the name there and create another if you wish. Cheers JulieD "Dragon" <Dragon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6A6510E-0233-4B2A-8A0C-F16F73585CBA@microsoft.com... > hey all, i have change the cell anem from A1 to StartCell. Bu, how can i > rename it back to A1 or change it to another name? > Thanks in advance > Regards > Drago...

Need a ZERO as the first character in a cell
How do you make the first number in a string of numbers a zero and keep it there? Depends on if you want a *true* number, or a text number. For Text, precede the entry with an apostrophe ( ' ), OR, pre-format the cell as text. For true numbers, custom format the cell with the number of digits you're using: 00000 -- HTH, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Mr_Jim" <MrJim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

need some help with: formatting of x2 dates in 1 cell
Hi and thanks to anyone who reads this. I have a worksheet which contains two columns of dates. In a second worksheet i have a column which adds the two dates together as TEXT and ommits dates which are blank which works perfectly, however: I would like to know how i could format each of the 2 dates in the 1 cell to have different font colors? Here is my existing cell formula: =IF('Data'!E2=0,"",(TEXT('Data'!E2,"dd/mm/yy"))&" "&IF('Data'!F2=0,"",TEXT('Data'!F2,"dd/mm/yy"))) I have a feeling its not...

A2 cell reference increment
I want to reference a cell using some math: $B(1+1) which I would hope equals $B2 and the cell would then contai a reference to $B2. How does one perform math funtions to the row part of a reference? I what to be able to reference a cell that contains a cell reference So Cell A1 would contain the text B12 cell A2 would reference to cell A1 and show the contents of B12. and in cell A3, I want to show the contents of B13... but I want t take the contents of cell A1 and increment it from B12 to B13... How do I do that? I tried simple math like $B(1+1) which does no equal $B2. T...

Publishing Auto installing with refresh
I installed Office Beta 2 Refresh. I originally had not installed Publisher. However, after installing the refresh, Publisher was automatically installed. Is the refresh supposed to do this? Consider you got yourself a bonus. At least now you will have the chance to evaluate a decent program. You should be ashamed of yourself not installing Publisher originally. -- ...