Cells get automatically converted

I want to store installment details of employees in the format: 9/15,
10/15 etc.. These are text values and are transferred via .NET
application to Excel. But it considers it a date and so converts 9/15
to 15-Sep, 10/15 to 15-Oct. I even searched for options to disable
this, but could not find it. Please help switching this off.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In message 1190896904.756552.247560@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com,
RP <rpk.general@gmail.com> Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

> I want to store installment details of employees in the format: 9/15,
> 10/15 etc.. These are text values and are transferred via .NET
> application to Excel. But it considers it a date and so converts 9/15
> to 15-Sep, 10/15 to 15-Oct. I even searched for options to disable
> this, but could not find it. Please help switching this off.

Could you prefix the values with a single quote (')?

--
Regards,
Chris.

Try preformatting the column into which the 9/15 goes, as text before
getting the info via .NET.

"RP" <rpk.general@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I want to store installment details of employees in the format: 9/15,
> 10/15 etc.. These are text values and are transferred via .NET
> application to Excel. But it considers it a date and so converts 9/15
> to 15-Sep, 10/15 to 15-Oct. I even searched for options to disable
> this, but could not find it. Please help switching this off.

0
Wondering1 (40)

count cells using multiple criteria
Can anyone show me how to count the number of rows containing two or more criteria? For example, if one column has the text "DO" and another column has the text "RD11" how do I count only those rows that contain both DO and RD11? One way: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="DD"),--(B1:B1000="RD11")) In article <0F41177E-45A0-4B0B-AE33-6BCCF2F3B8D1@microsoft.com>, Alex68 <Alex68@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Can anyone show me how to count the number of rows containing two or more > criteria? For example, if one column has the te...

Macro to delete an entire row with cells missing a specific chartacter #2
Hey Harald, This is the script I am using to remove "IS" Sub Findanddelete_IS() Dim rng As Range Dim what As String what = "IS" Do Set rng = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Find(what) If rng Is Nothing Then Exit Do Else Rows(rng.Row).Delete End If Loop End Sub So...my programming experience is a tiny bit limited, not sure how t delete anything missing the IS as opposed to containing the IS. understand in theory but my knowledge of syntax is the limiter. Harald Staff Wrote: > Hi Asf > > This is far more useful if you figure it out yourself, since you'r > pr...

Get row values into column
I have a row (A:BI) with text or numbers in each cell. However, there are some cells that are blank. B,D,F,H,J,... are the number cells (unless they are blank) and A,C,E,G,I,K,... are the text cells (unless they are blank). I would like to have all the cells that have text in them to be entered into cell A5 and down. Same thing with the number cells except in cell B5 down. Example: A B C D E F 1 PHI 2.3 OTT 3.6 I would like the following: A5 = PHI B5 = 2.3 A6= OTT B6 = 3.6 Anyone know how ...

Getting a cell reference to move laterally instead of vertically?
I have data that is sorted in columns, but the data I want to graph is a cross section of this data and therefore it comes from one row across several columns. I'm trying sort my graph/equation data in a column, however. Is there a way to get the equation cell references to move across a row even while the cell is descending a column? You can do it on a range using the TRANSPOSE function (array entered), or you may want to take a look at the OFFSET function, which takes a row and column argument. Use the ROW() function to generate the column argument and you will be able to copy...

contacts not automatically appearing
when I type in the beginning of an e-mail some of my contacts will not appear in the list of people who start with a certain letter That is known as the auto-complete feature. Windows Mail does not auto-complete from your contacts. It uses a separate list of the last 29 recipients you've sent mail to. The newer replacement email program, Windows Live Mail, uses the standard contacts list for auto-completion. You are encouraged to upgrade to the newer WLM program: http://download.live.com/wlmail =20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft....

is there a faster way to get text
Everytime I want to type something, I have to go back up to the Text Box, is there a quick key stroke that will allow me to keep typing without having to click on the Text Box over and over again? Denise, If you have PPT 2003, double click the textbox icon on the drawing toolbar. From that moment on you can click and type as many textboxes as you will. To stop just press escape or double click the icon again. If you have PPT 2007, you can do the same thing by right-clicking the textbox icon to lock the button. Luc Sanders MVP - PowerPoint "Denise" wrote: > ...

Help in displaying in a cell
I had type in a number of words (< 400 word count based of microsoft works) in a excel spreadsheet, but the cell only display ############ wrap text option is checked, What's the exact problem? Using excel 2007 Is the cell formatted as Text? Apply a General format to it instead. Also, you can insert manual line breaks as you enter the text using Alt-Enter. Hope this helps. Pete On Jul 3, 9:59=A0am, "crapit" <biggerc...@yahoo.com> wrote: > I had type in a number of words (< 400 word count based of microsoft works= ) > in a excel spreadsheet, but the c...

Merging cells with the same values
I am looking to merge all the horizontal cells in a sheet that display the same value answer as the cell directly along side it. The values are generated from a lookup formular that expresses the answers as words. Is it possible to get a group of cells alongside each other to merge and display the same answer automatically. Thanks ...

Calculate total number off cells with data in
Hi All Hope I find you well I have a spreadsheet that has a number of cells that may or may not have data in them depending on curtain criteria. What I would like to be able to do is count the number of cells with data in (data is alphanumerical) and display the total number of cells with data in in a different cell. Any ideas? Hi Gazza, > What I would like to be able to do is count the number of cells with data in (data is alphanumerical) and display the total number of cells with data in in a different cell. Any ideas? > Check out the COUNTA worksheet function. Regards, Jan Kare...

how to get absolute XPath
Hi, I'm trying to get the absolute xpath to a node in DOM (XmlDocument). I know I can build it by warlking the tree recursively, but I'm wondering if there is an API in DOM or in XPathNavigator that allows me to get the absolute path for a given node? Thanks, --Ader. gonzalez wrote: > I'm trying to get the absolute xpath to a node in DOM (XmlDocument). I know > I can build it by warlking the tree recursively, but I'm wondering if there > is an API in DOM or in XPathNavigator that allows me to get the absolute > path for a given node? The DOM in .NET (Xml...

cannot change part of a merged cell
This is the error a user receives when he tries to copy one cell into another made up of 3 merged cells. Sometimes it works and other times it doesn't. Is this a fluke? thanks, dominique Copying one cell to a merge of three cells should work. Are you "sure" it is only one cell that is being copied each time? Maybe "sometimes" it is one cell and "other times" more than one. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 14:02:57 -0400, "Dominique Schroeder" <dmschroe@woodmeistercorp.com> wrote: >This is the error a user receives when he...

Unable to send e-mail and get error message when opening live mail
This is the message I get Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'pic' Server: 'post.camtel.net' Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F Protocol: SMTP Port: 25 Secure(SSL): No I call server and all is well. Turn off e-mail scanning in your anti-virus program. It is a redundant layer of protection that eats up CPUs, slows down sending and receiving, and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs, account setting change...

Can not get MS Money Premium to connect to internet after KB searc
I can not log into the Windows Live ID because Money will not connect to the internet. I am running Win XP SP2 on Tablet(Pro version) with IE 7 and have upgraded and reset ie7. I have gone through KB http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891338/ and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899935/ from Cal Learner's previous posts. However, these have not worked and I cannot get to use Windows Live ID since it will not connect. I also reinstalled Money again, but not available. Anyone have any ideas? I know this has been a running problem, but I want to use the Live ID process so my bank info wi...

How to convert an excel macro code to a Visual basic program
As it is in the subjec title, this is my question: How to convert an Excel macro code to a Visual Basic program? The fact is I am using some excel macros written for excel 2002 and I want to work with them just like a distinct program. I tried to do it directly, but I faced with lots of errors. Any help would be highly appreciated. ...

How can you reference a picture from a worksheet cell?
I have an image or picture within a worksheet. I want to be able to reference it from a cell so that depending on a validation list a different picture is shown. Is this possible in Microsoft Exec 2000 Maybe you can look at J.E. McGimpsey's page: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/lookuppics.html He has a neat way of doing things like this. scott56hannah wrote: > > I have an image or picture within a worksheet. > > I want to be able to reference it from a cell so that depending on a > validation list a different picture is shown. > > Is this possible in Microsoft...

If I closed an excel doc without saving can I get it back? thx
I opened up 2 version of excel and tried to close one, I forgot the other was opened and when I chose not to save it I lost my old one also. If there anyway I can get it back? I tried system restore but that was turned off also ;( Thx for any help! If that file was originally out on the drive, then you should be able to just open it up and have the pre-changes-made version of it available. However, if you were creating it from scratch and closed without saving it, then it is gone. System Restore would never help in a case like this - System Restore does not save user data; it is a...

Automatic virus scan
how do you stop Excel from requesting a virus scan when you open up the program You need to tweak the settings in your anti-virus software. But do you really want to do that? That would only be acceptable if you NEVER get Excel files from anyone else. Carlos "VinnyG" <VinnyG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61DA150F-8A1D-4C3C-9A3A-453D4F9B0FEB@microsoft.com... > how do you stop Excel from requesting a virus scan when you open up the program If you are writing about the macro alert when you open up a spreadsheet, go to Tools, Options, Security, Macro ...

Automatic deductions for utility payments
We are using GP 7.50. We have it set up that most of our utility payments are automatically deducted from our checkbook on a monthly basis. How do I enter these automatic deductions into Great Plains? I do not need a check to be issued but somehow need to enter these transactions. Any input would be quite helpful.... Thanks Barb use manual payments "BK" <BK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:713115E0-F27B-4401-8B56-606D6E503003@microsoft.com... > > We are using GP 7.50. We have it set up that most of our utility payments > are automatic...

using a popup to make percenatges on selected cells
Hi I'm hoping someone can help with some code. I'm selecting a group of cells containing numbers. I want via a popup to change the selected numbers to the percentage entered in the popup. For example - I select my cells and run the macro. The popup asks for a number and I enter '50'. All the selected numbers then change to 50 percent of their previous value. It would apply equally to a selected whole column of numbers. Grateful for any help. Best Wishes hi Sub changenumber() Dim n As Double n = InputBox("enter a number") n = n / 100 ...

Import Text to specific cell
I'd like to import a set of data to specific, non-sequential, cells in a spreadsheet. Is there a way of doing this without using VBA? e.g. 3 fields worth per row of source data with the first being Column and the second being row and third being the text (or number) to put in a cell. Data: A 3 "3.5 Course1" C 5 " 3 Course 3" etc. This would put "3.5 Course1" in cell A:3, " 3 Course 3" in C:5 etc. It seems as though it ought to be doable. Any help would be appreciated. Jim Mitchell I don't think you can without VBA Assuming your ...

Automatic printing
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Why does my mac automatically print out a document everytime I save it in word and how can I stop it please? Thank you ...

Unlock cells based on colour
Hi I have input cells coloured blue and I want to unlock these cells. I know I need to use Colorindex, but I can't work out how to put it all together. Many thanks Here's a procedure that will change your 'Blue' cells to unprotected. HOWEVER, you need to decide which blue you want to unprotect. I've also attached a UDF [ColorOfCell] that will tell you the # associated with the BLUE you want. Change the 'BlueColor' variable in the procedure to that #. '/============================/ Public Sub MakeBlueCellsUnProtected() Dim BlueColor As ...

Excel Pivot table
Hi, I hope somebody can help - I'm new to the forum so please be gentle - and thanks in advance. I'm sure there is a simple solution to this, but I'm now starting to bang my head! Here goes - Using Excel 2003 - Importing data from SQL server database. The users love the ability to be able to chop and change the data but have asked for an addition. When the pivot table is first opened, you are presented with the skeleton template (that's what I'm calling it anyway). So the user drags fields from the pivot table list into data rows and data columns to s...

Populate List Based on Cell Value
I have a drop down list of different sales managers. I would like to have the cells below the drop down list fill in the accounts assigned to the sales manager selected in the drop down box. Is this possible? Thanks - that just changes the items in another drop down list. I actually wanted the list to fill all the items in cells below the drop down box, but I just figured it out. Thanks though. "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > Take a look here: > http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal02.html > http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal13.html > Micky > &...

get rid of recently used templates
halo when i right click on sheets and select insert it take a long time abt 5min to show recently used templates. this is because it have a record of all the templates i used so far how can i remove them from this plz help kay Hi Does the same thing happen when you select File/New? I had this problem with File/New, it turned out to be that the shortcuts used to point to the templates were pointing to obsolete directories etc. I deleted all the shortcuts using Windows Explorer and created new one's for the templates contained in the 'All templates' folder. Our problem was...