Cell Greater Than Cell in Adjacent Column

	A	B	C	D
1	112.44	106.92	Y	is A1>B4
2	104.90	96.03	N	is A2>B4
3	109.71	103.46	N	is A3>B4
4	115.74	111.50	Y	is A4>B8
5	111.55	110.40	N	is A5>B8
6	112.85	112.56	N	is A6>B8
7	113.27	113.80	N	is A7>B8
8	118.58	114.59	Y	is A8>B9
9	118.25	115.85	Y	is A9>B12
10	99.75	115.83	N	is A10>B12
11	100.25	104.14	N	is A11>B12
12	103.69	101.00	Y	is A12>B13
13	103.58	99.84	Y	is A13>B14
14	107.99	100.75	Y	is A14>B15
15	106.33	104.27

I have two columns to which data is entered at the top by inserting a
blank row and then adding the data points.  The formula that I would
like to create in row C would have to work from the bottom of the data
upwards and return the result as shown in column C.  The process is
outlined in column D.  Basically the formula determines if a(n)>b(n+1)
and if so then determines if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the
new reference point and the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).

Hope this is clear to everyone.  Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Tom,

Sorry, it is NOT clear.

Your statement:

> Basically the formula determines if a(n)>b(n+1)
> and if so then determines if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the
> new reference point and the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).

But, on one row you seem to require the comparison A4>B8, which is not a
comparison that can be derived from the above statement.

You need to examine your logic and come up with a better explanation of what
you want.  Your Y/N table appears to be based solely on a(n) > b(n+1)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Tom" <tsanders123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> A B C D
> 1 112.44 106.92 Y is A1>B4
> 2 104.90 96.03 N is A2>B4
> 3 109.71 103.46 N is A3>B4
> 4 115.74 111.50 Y is A4>B8
> 5 111.55 110.40 N is A5>B8
> 6 112.85 112.56 N is A6>B8
> 7 113.27 113.80 N is A7>B8
> 8 118.58 114.59 Y is A8>B9
> 9 118.25 115.85 Y is A9>B12
> 10 99.75 115.83 N is A10>B12
> 11 100.25 104.14 N is A11>B12
> 12 103.69 101.00 Y is A12>B13
> 13 103.58 99.84 Y is A13>B14
> 14 107.99 100.75 Y is A14>B15
> 15 106.33 104.27
>

> I have two columns to which data is entered at the top by inserting a
> blank row and then adding the data points.  The formula that I would
> like to create in row C would have to work from the bottom of the data
> upwards and return the result as shown in column C.  The process is
> outlined in column D.  Basically the formula determines if a(n)>b(n+1)
> and if so then determines if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the
> new reference point and the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).
>
> Hope this is clear to everyone.  Your help is much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

0
Bernie
1/11/2008 2:01:25 AM
On Jan 10, 9:01=A0pm, "Bernie Deitrick" <deitbe @ consumer dot org>
wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Sorry, it is NOT clear.
>
> Your statement:
>
> > Basically the formula determines if a(n)>b(n+1)
> > and if so then determines if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the
> > new reference point and the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).
>
> But, on one row you seem to require the comparison A4>B8, which is not a
> comparison that can be derived from the above statement.
>
> You need to examine your logic and come up with a better explanation of wh=
at
> you want. =A0Your Y/N table appears to be based solely on a(n) > b(n+1)
>
> HTH,
> Bernie
> MS Excel MVP
>
> "Tom" <tsanders...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > A B C D
> > 1 112.44 106.92 Y is A1>B4
> > 2 104.90 96.03 N is A2>B4
> > 3 109.71 103.46 N is A3>B4
> > 4 115.74 111.50 Y is A4>B8
> > 5 111.55 110.40 N is A5>B8
> > 6 112.85 112.56 N is A6>B8
> > 7 113.27 113.80 N is A7>B8
> > 8 118.58 114.59 Y is A8>B9
> > 9 118.25 115.85 Y is A9>B12
> > 10 99.75 115.83 N is A10>B12
> > 11 100.25 104.14 N is A11>B12
> > 12 103.69 101.00 Y is A12>B13
> > 13 103.58 99.84 Y is A13>B14
> > 14 107.99 100.75 Y is A14>B15
> > 15 106.33 104.27
>
> > I have two columns to which data is entered at the top by inserting a
> > blank row and then adding the data points. =A0The formula that I would
> > like to create in row C would have to work from the bottom of the data
> > upwards and return the result as shown in column C. =A0The process is
> > outlined in column D. =A0Basically the formula determines if a(n)>b(n+1)=

> > and if so then determines if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the
> > new reference point and the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).
>
> > Hope this is clear to everyone. =A0Your help is much appreciated.
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Tom- Hide quoted text -

Sorry you are correct.  To clarify what should be is the formula
determines if a(n)>b(n+1) and if so then determines
if a(n-1)>b(n). If not b(n) then becomes the new reference point and
the formula determines if a(n-2)>b(n).  If not the the formula
determines if a(n-3)>b(n).  If not then the formula determines if
a(n-4)>b(n) etc. If a(n-4)>b(n) then the cell in B adjacent to a(n-4)
becomes the new reference cell and the formula begins at the beginning
again a(n)>b(n+1).  Hope this clarifies.

Thanks

Tom

Formatting # in one cell
Can I separate numbers by a comma within a single cell so I can add, average and use the pivot function calculating each number separtly? I have the column formatted as text. In the cells I have: 2, 3, 4, 5 12, 2, 5, 24 There is one cell per row with the numbers and one column with these numbers. Thank you for your help. Brent30@cox.net Brent, You'll have to use Data | Text to columns, prior to doing anything with your numbers - as they are, Excel will treat them as strings. HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Brent" <anonymous@discussions.microso...

Move to match cells
A B C D E 1 000801025-8 009601025-3 2007 000801025-8 2007 2 000801026-9 009601026-4 2004 000801026-9 2004 3 000801028-1 009601028-6 2006 000801028-1 2006 4 000801036-8 009601036-3 2008 000801036-8 2008 5 000801044-5 009601044-0 2007 000801044-5 2007 6 000801044-5 009601055-0 2004 000801055-5 2004 7 000801055-5 009601064-8 2001 000801064-3 2001 8 000801055-5 009601091-2 2006 000801091-7 2006 9 000801064-3 009601095-6 2002 000801095-1 2002 10 000801091-7 009601097-8 1998 000801097-3 1998 11 000801091-7 009...

hide columns on a protected sheet???
When using MS Excel 2003: I have turned on "Protect Sheet" to protect some formulas from being deleted. Prior to turning on protection I unlocked the cells that I wanted users to be able to edit. And I have checked the box to "Allow all users of this worksheet to:" "Delete Columns". What I *don't* see on the "Protect Sheet" menu is an option to "Hide Columns" Do you know of any way that I can allow users to do this, without turning off the protection in MS Excel 2003? Check "Format Columns" option "under...

2 axis column chart
Anybody who knows how to make a column chart with 2 different valu axis' -- MartinN ----------------------------------------------------------------------- MartinNT's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1565 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27190 Make the chart with two data series Right click on one of the data series in the chart; select Format Data Series, open the Axis tab; click Secondary axis It needs to data series. It you have only one then you need to reproduce the values in another column and make a...

Cell formatting
I am using a formula to copy cells from one sheet to another. Everything is ok except the date column. The when that cell is "" or -0- it shows 1/0/1900 How can I change this to "-" or blank? Many thanks One way: =IF(Sheet1!A1>0,Sheet1!A1,"") In article <1105828404.988014.300140@c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>, "seve" <scooksey@charter.net> wrote: > I am using a formula to copy cells from one sheet to another. > > Everything is ok except the date column. > > The when that cell is "" or -0- it shows 1/0...

Attach Email to a Cell
Hi, Is there any way to attach emails or other documents to cells? Thanks Try: CTRL+K (Insert > Hyperlink) Micky "Dave" wrote: > Hi, Is there any way to attach emails or other documents to cells? > > Thanks Hi, This wont work as I need to attach actual documents to the cell. Thanks "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > Try: CTRL+K (Insert > Hyperlink) > Micky > > > "Dave" wrote: > > > Hi, Is there any way to attach emails or other documents to cells? > > > > Thanks If you say so.....

Excel won't highlight selected cells
Hi. Just started having a problem today with selecting cells. I have worksheets that need to have the formatting changed on certain cells. Some need to be merged, some need to have different fonts, etc. Before today, I was able to hold the CTRL key down and select whatever cells needed to be changed (as a group). I can still do that, but only the Title row and columns (A,B,C...1,2,3,4...) are highlighted but not the individual cells that I have clicked on. The problem is more of a large annoyance and I can still get my work done but it takes much longer because I can'...

format cell to search text in another cell
I'm trying to make it so that when text is typed in a cell, other cells will read it, and if the text includes certain letters (like "ss" in "dssl" or "ssdl") then it would insert "N/A" in the appropriate cells. i also want it to be able to look for more than one thing. Not case sesitive. Below is by no means code, but i don't know how else to explain it. For instance in cell C14 (IF C3 = "*ss" or "*bl1" then "N/A" else " ") I tried =IF(SEARCH("SS", C6,1)>0,"N/A", " "...

help importing cell
Hi can someone help me with the formula for importing the value of cell from one worksheet to another. For example the value of cell a1 from worksheet x to current sheet I believe the formula starts with ~ thanks in advance: -- eliosta ----------------------------------------------------------------------- eliostar's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3251 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52304 Hi You can use something like this: =sheet1!A1 in the cell to show what is in that cell on your current sheet. Andy. ...

How suppress chart points
I want to suppress chart points for a cumulative line graph of monthly telephone costs where the particular month's values have not yet been entered but there is a formula in the cell which currently returns null but will return the value once it is posted on the accountmaster sheet. Hi, Use NA(). The will cause the data marker to be omitted. Note the line will be interpolated between valid data points. Something like this, =IF( <test> , <value> , NA() ) Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "sarcastix" <sarcastix@di...

How to increase the number of columns.
I need more columns in excel (I now it sounds crazy). If there is no solution, than how to transform columns in rows? Please � I�m desperate�����. :( -- istancutu ------------------------------------------------------------------------ istancutu's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=35749 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=555288 Nel post news:istancutu.29xf9n_1151186102.1322@excelforum-nospam.com *istancutu* ha scritto: > I need more columns in excel (I now it sounds crazy). If there is no > solution, th...

Lock a row at top for titles of columns?
Is there a way to lock the top row that contains the description of columns Thank you "CyberTaz" wrote: > Hi bart- > > Make sure you are in Normal View (_not_ in Print Preview) & go to File>Page > Setup. On the Sheet page specify what Row(s) to repeat at top. > > HTH |:>) > > "bart dotzman" wrote: > > > Is there a way to lock the top row that contains the description of columns Hi bart- Make sure you are in Normal View (_not_ in Print Preview) & go to File>Page Setup. On the Sheet page specify what Row(s) to repe...

Formatting cells
I have a seniority roster of personnel. It has five colums and 30 rows. The borders of the cells are formatted.....some thin some bold. Lets say that today, there are 15 rows with info in them to represent 15 people . I now need to move the bottom 5 rows down one row to make room for another person in proper seniority position. When I cut/paste the 25 cells I lose some of the formatting and have to go back and insert lines where they have disappeared. How can I lock the formatting of the border while still being able to edit the cell content? Instead of cutting and pasting simp...

Merge the same group of cells down a column quickly
I've got 900 rows of data in which each needs to have cells 1:3 merged and centered (so, a1:a3, b1:b3, c1:c3, etc). Is there any fast way of doing this besides selecting the same three cells in each row, hitting Merge & Center, and then moving on to the next row? Trying to create a macro has been fruitless and quite frustrating. Im using 2007. Thanks in advance! -- Rich F in the name box put a1:c900. then "Merge Across", then r-click selection and format cells, alignment Horizontal Center. Rich F wrote: > I've got 900 rows of data in which ea...

Ref cell in another worksheet
Hi All Sorry for the very basic question. I have several worksheets in a workbook and have named the first sheet 'Info'. This sheet holds such data as 'contract number' and 'user name'..... This data is required on all the other sheets but i would like to just reference the data from the 'Info' sheet What do i have to enter on the other sheets so that this info only has to be entered on the 'Info' sheet How do i reference this data/info from the 'Info' sheet in the header/footer of printed sheets Thanks for any/all help Sal Select the sheet...

Linking cells to MS Project cells
I have an Excel file with cells linked to MS Project cells. There are several MS Project source files involved. When first created all the Excel links worked as expected. Upon reopening the Excel file some cells update properly and others display #NAME?. Does anyone know why and is there a way to fix this? To make matters a bit more confusing I have seen(on rare occasion)upon reopening the Excel file some cells previously displaying the #NAME? value displaying appropriate linked data correctly. ...

Updating Chart Titles from Spreadsheet Cells
I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my charts update based on entries in the associated spreadsheet. On a monthly basis I import data into a spreadsheet template that has a chart associated with it. It would be nice if the title block on the chart would update based on a cell in the spreadsheet. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi have a look at http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/dynamic_chart_title/index. html HTH Frank > I'm using Excel 2002 and I want to be able to have the titles in my > charts update based on ...

displaying a name in a cell reference
I have two worksheets in an Excel workbook. Sheet1 has a prize designation column with different prizes i.e. WM20, WM10, etc Sheet2 has the prize designation (WM20) matched with a name i.e. Walmart giftcard I need to display the name from sheet2 in a column on sheet1? Thanks You could use a vlookup function to do that for you. Something like this: =VLOOKUP(B6,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$29,2,FALSE) Assuming B6 contains “WM20” Assuming the range on sheet2 A1:B29 contains WM20 in column A and the description “Walmart 20 buck Gift certificate etc” in it. Hope that helps. Fran...

How to refer to current cell in range
This is a simple problem, but after a couple hours of searching Excel help and Newgroups, I can't seem to find anything helpful. In Excel 2000 I've been using the countif function to count cells that contain a certain phrase, e.g. this counts the cells in the range that contain the phrase "W2K Pro": =COUNTIF(PCs!D2:D143,"W2K Pro") What I'd like to do is count cells in which the LEN() function returns a value greater than 12, so something like this: =COUNTIF(PCs!D2:D143,LEN(currentcell)>12) I just can't seem to find a way to refer to the current cell ...

Publisher: How to set up both 2 column and 3 column master?
I want to have both options of a 2 column and 3 column in my newsletter. I cannot see how to do this. It seems that I have to use only one or the other. When you create a text box, right-click, format text box, text box tab, columns button. You can link a two column text box to a three column text box. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "snusanjane" <snusanjane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:067D96FF-D927-4233-9BC2-0447DCA460FD@microsoft.com... >I want to have both options of a 2 co...

Extract numbers from cell with Text and Numbers
Hello All, I hope someone can help. I have a column of cells. Each cell contains some text, and then a number in parenthases, then a comma, and then come text, and then a number in parenthases, This repeats probably as many as 5 times, though some cells have fewer then 5. I want to somehow, if possible, extract JUST THE NUMBERS. If I can automatically get a total so that I can average the total (dividing by a number in another column, but in the same row as the numbers extracted) that would be great. I am most concerned with not having to manually enter the numbers again. If anyone ha...

Excel: too many different cell formats
I am plagued by this error in a large multi-paged workbook in Excel 2000. Is there a workaround? Will a later version have a better tolerance? Check out this Jack XL: Error Message: Too Many Different Cell Formats http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213904 David McRitchie posted this Leo Heuser posted a macro 2001-05-06 in programming as a very major revision of the macro in the eee007 article. http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=OxP9cgi1AHA.1572%40tkmsftngp02 -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "Jack" <Hig...

Excel 2000
If you use the Tools-Options-View-Rows and Columns, you can either show or not show the A B C etc. across the columns and the 1 2 3 in front of the rows. However, I have a spreadsheet that shows the column headings, but not the row headings. Anyone got a clue why? Any chance that both headings are off, but row 1 has been formatted to look like headings? or.... Any chance that the worksheet window is just off the visible screen? Can you resize it and make that window fit the screen? Peter wrote: > > If you use the Tools-Options-View-Rows and Columns, you > can either show...

How do I get rid of too many active cells in Excel
When I click on a second cell location, the box appeared in the first cell location remained in the work sheet. I fixed the problem by closing the file and reopen it but what causes it? See answer to your next posting of this question. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Josey" <Josey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4D63ABFA-A3DB-4CF4-AD13-21D1D5690B8F@microsoft.com... > When I click on a second cell location, the box appeared in the first cell > location remained in the work sheet. I fixed the problem by closing the file > and reopen it but what causes it...

How can I compare two columns for matches
I have two very long lists, one with 38000 entries. How can I easily compare them without having to create a unique identifier with a tedious copy paste step? Chip Pearson has lots of techniques at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm (some worksheet formulas, some macros) Fredric wrote: > > I have two very long lists, one with 38000 entries. How can I easily compare > them without having to create a unique identifier with a tedious copy paste > step? -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...