cell displays formula instead of value #2

Hi,
Excel 2003 SP2
I have a new blank workbook,
and on a new blank worksheet
I format columns A - D as Text.

A1 = [This_]
B1 = [is_]
C1 = [text.]
D1 = [=CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1)]

D1 now displays [=CONCATENATE(A1 ,B1, C1)]
instead if the expected [This_is_Text.]

Please help.
I have hours in this :((
Thanks
Jeff Higgins

0
oohiggins (3)
1/19/2006 1:09:55 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jeff
D1 should have been formatted as "general". Format it, re-type formula?
HTH

Beege

Beege wrote:
> Jeff
> D1 should have been formatted as "general". Format it, re-type formula?
> HTH
>
> Beege

Beege,
I guess that makes sense, after all
=CONCATENATE(A1, B1, C1) is text.

After all this, I think I'll grab a big piece
of bubble gum and take a stroll.

Appreciate the help, thanks.
Jeff

0
oohiggins (3)
1/19/2006 1:34:58 AM
A shorter version of your formula can be written as:

=A1&B1&C1

& is known as the concatenation operator (i.e. it "joins" strings
together).

Pete

0
pashurst (2576)
1/19/2006 1:45:28 AM
Pete_UK
>A shorter version of your formula can be written as:
>
> =A1&B1&C1
>
> & is known as the concatenation operator (i.e. it "joins" strings
> together).
>
> Pete

Thanks, &appreciate the note.
Jeff
Sorry if I emailed you.

0
oohiggins (3)

Linking files 2 ways

Count If Formula #4

More Columns #2

New to excel

Contacts in Exchange #2

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Setting a dynamic range in a formula

default values in a cell

Goal Seek #2

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Formula for cross tab data filling

Formula for Game Spreadsheet
I am currenly playing a game of Ars Magica. I am using a spreadsheet to compute the info for my character. I am having a probllem with the casting total for spells related to a paticular character. The Formula is as follows : =IF(H13="","--",IF(J13="",INDIRECT(H13),MIN(INDIRECT(H13),INDIRECT(LEFT(J13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(J13,2))))+IF(K13="",INDIRECT(I13),MIN(INDIRECT(I13),INDIRECT(LEFT(K13,2)),INDIRECT(RIGHT(K13,2))))+Sta+IF(N13="",0,$H$2)) I am trying to compute the casting total for the spells castable by this character. The total for the ...

formula or VBA
I need to search through a column checking condtions. If the conditions are met, then I want to enter the corresponding value in the column next to it into a different cell. Basically, I want to search column A and, if the conditions are met, put the value in B into C. Would this be easier via formula or code? And maybe some starting suggestions would be nice if you don't mind. -- Thanks, Jim in a formula in col b =if(cond,a1,"") using vba for each c in range("a1:a100") if cond then c.offset(0,1)=c next -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "...

wprintf() could not display unicode chars which is > 255 to console?
Hi�� I encountered a problem about wprintf() to display unicode chars which is > 255 in my console app. I am sure I have defined _UNICODE in my VC6 Project Setting. I had a search with google and found that my question was some like the case: http://blog.kalmbachnet.de/?postid=23 . Is it true that there is some bugs in wprintf()? Thanks for your help. David I assume you are writting a c++ program. Can you give preference for ostream cout, wcout on printf/wprintf? use wcout like this:- wcout << L"How are you?" -- Vipin Aravind MVP "David" <David_Wa...

Converting Formula into Numbers?
With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same number)? -- Emp-Designer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Emp-Designer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37564 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=571948 Emp-Designer a �crit : > With a cell/s selected is there a way to convert the cell's formula into > straight numbers (in turn removing all formula and leaving the same &...