cell content into a note

hey guys,

just curious if this can be achieved or how it can be achieved

say i have this

Column A Row 1 = Short Description
Column B Row 1 = Long descriptoin

B2:B10 = are all the short descriptions
B2:B10 = are all the long descriptions

is there a way to just put the comment into the short description
cells from the long description cells via a note and then hide the
long description column?

can anyone advise as to how this can be achieved?
cheers

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Don't multipost.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
11/1/2007 11:43:36 PM
You could add Comments to the column A cells with the text from Column B cells
and have Column B hidden.

Sub Comment_Text_Add()

    Dim addtext As String
    Dim cmt As Comment

  For Each Cell In Range("A1:A10")  'or Selection
  Set cmt = Cell.Comment
  addtext = Cell.Offset(0, 1).Value
    If cmt Is Nothing Then
      Set cmt = Cell.AddComment
      cmt.Text Text:=addtext
    Else
      cmt.Text Text:=addtext
    End If
    With cmt.Shape.TextFrame
      .Characters.Font.Bold = False
    End With

Next Cell
End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 23:03:02 -0000, Chuck <cvanoosbree@gmail.com> wrote:

>hey guys,
>
>just curious if this can be achieved or how it can be achieved
>
>say i have this
>
>Column A Row 1 = Short Description
>Column B Row 1 = Long descriptoin
>
>B2:B10 = are all the short descriptions
>B2:B10 = are all the long descriptions
>
>is there a way to just put the comment into the short description
>cells from the long description cells via a note and then hide the
>long description column?
>
>can anyone advise as to how this can be achieved?
>cheers

0
Gord

relation between cell and picture which is above it.
in my sheet there is one column called 'picture', and many picture are in cells belongs to this column. my problem is that, i know picture is just floating on the sheet, it doesn't belong to any cell. But, i need get the picture which is above certain cell. so i need know the relation between one cell and picture which above this cell. in my sheet, the cell size is bigger than picture.so the picture is totally in the cell. Sub a() Dim Pic As Shape For Each Pic In ActiveSheet.Shapes If Pic.TopLeftCell.Address(False, False) = "D9" Then Msg...

Print a worksheet when a cell = 1
I want to print a worksheet when a value of 1 appears in cell A1 (The cell is linked to another program which will write a 1 into the cell when a printout is required) Please tell me how I can achieve this – all suggestions welcome Is that link a formula to a different worksheet in a different workbook? Or is it the result of some kind of query? A little more information may help get an answer. Pat wrote: > > I want to print a worksheet when a value of 1 appears in cell A1 > (The cell is linked to another program which will write a 1 into the cell > when a printout is requi...

Changing Cell Colour in Protected Sheet
Hi, I'm trying to protect some cells on a spreadsheet from having their formulae deleted accidently etc. The only problem is I run a VBA program ontop of the spreadsheet that consists of a load of forms. The inputs into these forms add data to the cells on the spreadsheet and it all works well until I protect the sheet. The reason being is that I use some VB code to change the colour of a cell. The worksheet is protected but the cell in question is not locked but the code fails. Why can my VBA code not change the colour of an unlocked cell in a protected sheet? It lets me add or change d...

macro to find cell content in sheets and make sheet active
Hi, i have been really struggling with this macro. i have a PO Number. example : 4533211/NICYC in my po book i have up to 1000 purchase orders/ each with a unigue number. i have set up a form and this number is set under a variable called PONumber on every PO, the number is found in cell E13 what i need to do is this. 1.open my form and enter my PO number to find 2.press apply and the macro should take the number, and look through all of the PO's until it finds the matching number. 3. when the number is found, stop searching and make this sheet active. i have everything else complete...

Item OLE notes not available in Inquiry
I've added OLE notes to inventory items through the Cards>Inventory>Item Maintenance window. But I can't see these OLE notes from the Inquiry>Inventory>Item window.The paperclip is not available from this Inquiry window. I need users to have access to these OLE notes from the Inquiry>Inventory>Item window, but not through the Cards>Inventory>Item Maintenance window. I can see the path in my dex.ini file and it points to a folder I have shared on the server through a mapped drive. Why can't I see these OLE notes? -- National Packaging Services You&...

how to access cell calculator
There is a way to cause a small calculator to appear when you click on a spreadsheet cell. How do I activate this feature? I can not find it anywhere and can find no info on it. ...

Macro to delete an entire row with cells missing a specific chartacter #3
Dave, That got the job done, but I need something that is less intensive fo the less proficeint ppl at the office, that's why I am trying to buld macro. Thanks for your help :cool: Dave Peterson Wrote: > If I were doing it manually, I'd apply data|filter|autofilter to tha > range. > > Then filter on that column using custom. > Show the cells you want to delete > (Does not contain maybe very useful!) > > Select those visible cells (avoiding the header) > rightclick|delete > > > > asf wrote: > > > > Hey Harald, > > >...

Fill a Cell
Using Excel 2000. I have forgotten the data entry syntax for filling the width of a cell with a particular character. For example, if I want to fill a cell from left edge to right edge with a hyphen (-), what is the syntax? Seems to me that in older versions I was able to use a slash or backslash followed by the character and it would fill the width of the cell. Anyone know the answer??? -------- Bonnie Format>Cell>Alignment tab>Fill -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Bonnie Keithley" <nokeithleyspam@midamerica.net> wrote in me...

Text Wrap, Cell Height Does NOT Automatically Adjust
When I adjust a column width the heights of my cells don't adjust so all the wrapped text is shown. Should this happen automatically? Is there some type of refresh or auto format process I can go through so all the wrapped text lines show when I make an adjustment to the column widths? Try this: <Format> <Row> <Autofit> -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ============================================== "Al Franz" <albert@nospam.netmation.com> wrote in mes...

How to place a colored rectangle BEHIND some data cells?
I have various cells in use but I want a graduated colored background behind all of them. If I use a colored rectangle, it covers them. Can I move the rectangle to the back, so it only shows where no data cells are in use? Don't think that's possible since it floats above the cells. Perhaps an alternative way to get the visual that you're after (in xl2003): Select and copy the cell(s). Hold down Shift key, click Edit > paste picture link. This creates a linked picture object that can be formatted with graduated fills. Right click on the linked picture object > Form...

converting a 4 figure number to time in active cell
Hi, I've got 2007 on my pc and I'm trying to set up a timesheet. As I'm to lazy to keep entering the ":" all the time, i was wondering if someone knew how to change 1530 to 15:30 etc in the active cell for all cells G5 to I19 on all 5 sheets in my workbook!!! I think this has something to do with vba or macros and i've never used them before. If anyone can help me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks Pete Chip Pearson shows how you can do that here: 'Date And Time Entry' (http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm) Hope this helps. Pete Pee;29...

Filtering on merged cells
Can you please help? I have 6 pieces of info in cells A8, A9, A10, A11, A12 & A13 - Cells C8 to C13 are merged and contain one value, if i use the filter option and choose the value contained within the merged cells, it only displays the info in cell A8, where as i need the info in cells A8, A9, A10, A11, A12 & A13 to be shown...is this possible? Thanks -- mtaylor ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mtaylor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26871 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...

Email displays in non-email cells
I have a spreadheet that has a list of contacts. One of the fields is Email and it contains the email address of the individual. I also have a Telephone field. 1. When I hover over the Email cell or click in it, the wrong email address is displayed but yet the correct email is displayed in the formula bar. This only happens if the email is not a hyperlink. If the email is a hyperlink, it works correctly. 2. If I click on a Phone cell, in some cases, it opens up the email window. In both case, the cell format is General. I ran Norton and McAfee anti-virus and my PC and the sheet are clean. ...

Pasting CSV list into separate cells...
If I paste it into excel the entire text string goes into one cell. I would like to be able to paste and then have excel recognize it is a CSV list and put each value in its own cell. I've tried "paste special" but could not see how to do it. Can this be done? Thanks! Hi once you've pasted it click on the cell and use data / text to columns option on the first screen choose delimited and then on the next choose comma. Cheers JulieD "jmboggiano" <jmboggiano@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75AF77CE-80B5-44F6-94EE-8E14E0FEE0B4@micro...

Calculations within summary cells, reflecting the visble cells only after filtering
Hi Wonder if someone can tell me whether it is possible to have calculations reflecting only the data of visible cells following a filtering exercise. For example, the columns below show data corresponsing to specific individuals (the name of the individual, initial, first date of absence, last date of absence, no of days absent and certification type). Below this data range is a cell with today's date and a cell with the date 12 months previous to this date. There is also a cell which reflects the total no of absence periods within this data range (20) - see calculation below. Would l...

How do I find the fat content for certain foods
I have just downloaded the excel template for weekly diet. How do I find the fat content for certain foods? Their labels? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Kay" <Kay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E4C18CFC-1ED0-4B41-8237-B11B8C778C6E@microsoft.com... >I have just downloaded the excel template for weekly diet. How do I find >the > fat content for certain foods? Check out: http://www.ntwrks.com/~mikev/chart1.html -- Gary''s Student "Kay" wrote: > I have just downloaded the excel template for we...

How to make universal changes to a whole range of cells and formulas?
I can't seem to figure out how to make global changes to a whol worksheet of formulas. Is it possible to make changes to all cells at once? For example, i it possible to make all references in cells absolute references at th same time? Also, I would like to copy a range of cells on one worksheet, "master" (with formulas that refer to another worksheet, worksheet1, for example to paste into another section of the same "master" worksheet, bu keeping the original formulas referring to the same cells on different worksheet, such as worksheet2. I would much apprecia...

Excel, in a cell, how do i link to a pic & autohide like a comment
Is there a way to insert / attach a picture from a file to an excell 'cell' and have it autohide? Similar to the way a comment box behaves? (2003). Debra Dalgleish has a neat approach: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture Does that help? -- Regards, Ron "harperma" wrote: > Is there a way to insert / attach a picture from a file to an excell 'cell' > and have it autohide? Similar to the way a comment box behaves? (2003). ...

Restrict cells selected to specific range name
HI, I would like to restrict selection of cells to only a range say the dimensions of a range name. Is this possibly in VBA please. EG My rangename is Weeks which is the range A1:B10 and i dont want any users to access cells outside of this range. Hope that makes sense. Thanks JB try using Scrollarea property to set scrollarea Worksheets(1).ScrollArea = "A1:B10" to clear Worksheets(1).ScrollArea = " " -- jb "John" wrote: > HI, > > I would like to restrict selection of cells to only a range say the > dimensi...

Issue editing Notes entity on mobile devices
I am having an issue between CRM and mobile devices. The Notes entity works like a champ in Outlook and on the web, but we can not edit the notes field on a mobile device. For example, if we enter a new contact in CRM and write some notes in the Notes field, it will show up on the web and in Outlook and we can edit it. But, we can view it on a mobile device, but we can not edit it nor can we create a new note. Any help with this would be much appreciated. What are you using to view the Microsoft CRM data in your mobile device? Microsoft CRM Mobile, Mobile Express, c360 Mobile? Frank Le...

Using cell contents to reference worksheet names
I have a Workbook with about 20 worksheets (say, 'ABC', 'DEF', etc). also have a summary sheet within this workbook. So, *B1='ABC'* C1='DEF', etc. Column A is a list of all the information in m worksheets. The rest is a tally of quantities of each row in eac worksheet. I am performing an HLOOKUP of the info in Col A, and want to refer t the worksheets in row 1 [=HLOOKUP(Cell A2,*ABC!*...]. My question is How can I use cell B1 (ABC), as part of my formula to reference m worksheet, so when I drag my formula to column C, it will referenc cell C1 [DEF], and there...

Cell formatting #3
Hello people, When I open a .csv (comma seperated values) file with EXCEL, I would like EXCEL to open all data as text data. This is a requirement for me because some data I wish to display to the user begins with a - or = so EXCEL automatically treats this data as an equation. This wouldn't be a problem, except EXCEL allows a much lower number of characters to be entered into an equation than into a text cell. Therefore, the text in some of the cells that are being treated as equations is truncated when I open the .csv file. Does anybody know an EXCEL option I can change so that it t...

Creating Outlook 2000 Distribution List from "To" contents?
Is there a way to create an MS Outlook 2000 distribution list from the contents of a received e-mail's "To" line? I know right-clicking on an individual allows me to "Add to Contacts." I'd like to highlight multiple (or All) names and be able to add to an existing, or a newly created, Distribution List. How can I do this to avoid manually having to add each name to Contacts, then individually bringing them into a Distribution List? Thanks, Dave ...

IF FUNCTION...SHADE CELL
Here is my formula. Instead of having an X show up if the formula is true I would like the cell to shade itself red. =IF(VLOOKUP(S44,Pinny!I:J,2,0)>0,"X","") Thanks Use CF See this site http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat03.html -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Jambruins" <Jambruins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6F938208-775A-44FC-8AF5-D5D84D1A480B@microsoft.com... > Here is my formula. Instead of having an X show up if the formula is true I > would like the cell to shade itself red. > =IF...

Locking specific cells
HI i posted a query already - please ignore that. In a data entry sheet column b has dates and B3 has specific date i like to lock adjacent cells in columns F,G & H if the date in column B is not date in B3 (criteria) further should not allow to delete anyrow when there is value in cells of F,G & H columns. if there is no value then those can be deleted. sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) if cell(b column) = $B$3 then activesheet.unprotect ="hi" cell.("F"&row).locked = false cell.("G"&row).locked = false cell.(&qu...