Catastrophic Error in XL 2003

I've written some pretty standard, but complicated, VBA code under
XL2000.  A user with XL2003 gets a "catastrophic error" when opening
the file (macros enabled), which sends him to the VBA debugger - but in
a loop.  Need Task Mgr to quit the application.

This is NOT a shared workbook - I read those posts but haven't found a
clue as to what could be causing this.

I also got this error on an XL2003 machine (same description as above).
 After 'resolving' it by saving as an older version of Excel (even
though it originally was XL2000!), I started getting "Out of memory
errors" - which were not duplicated on another user's machine (XL2000).

Any clues at all as to what could be causing this?  I am completely
stumped as to how to proceed.  Again, NOT a shared workbook; there are
no connections to outside databases happening; just a lot of
user-defined functions and range-lookup stuff happening in the code.
There is sheet-protection toggling and a bit of conditional formatting
that's dependent on the user-defined functions but ... nothing special
in the code really.  Help!  Thanks ...

0
hirschman (6)
6/9/2006 8:12:04 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I don't have any idea of what might be wrong.  What I would do to test
this is to save a version of the XL 2000 workbook with the code
commented out.  (I would append a number to the name.)  Assuming that
opens okay in XL 2003, uncomment your first block of code (perhaps an
initialization routine), save the file, close it, then open it again.
If that works, uncomment another block, Save as with a new name (a new
number at the end if I was doing it), close, open.  Eventually the
error should rear its ugly head, at which point you will have likely
pinpointed the problem.  Then check that code block for anything that
might cause problems in XL 2003.  There may be a variable name that is
now a keyword, or a similar problem.

Please post if you find a solution.  Good luck!

Micah wrote:
> I've written some pretty standard, but complicated, VBA code under
> XL2000.  A user with XL2003 gets a "catastrophic error" when opening
> the file (macros enabled), which sends him to the VBA debugger - but in
> a loop.  Need Task Mgr to quit the application.
>
> This is NOT a shared workbook - I read those posts but haven't found a
> clue as to what could be causing this.
>
> I also got this error on an XL2003 machine (same description as above).
>  After 'resolving' it by saving as an older version of Excel (even
> though it originally was XL2000!), I started getting "Out of memory
> errors" - which were not duplicated on another user's machine (XL2000).
>
> Any clues at all as to what could be causing this?  I am completely
> stumped as to how to proceed.  Again, NOT a shared workbook; there are
> no connections to outside databases happening; just a lot of
> user-defined functions and range-lookup stuff happening in the code.
> There is sheet-protection toggling and a bit of conditional formatting
> that's dependent on the user-defined functions but ... nothing special
> in the code really.  Help!  Thanks ...

0
mlincoln (86)
6/12/2006 5:15:23 PM
Micah wrote:
[snip]
> Any clues at all as to what could be causing this?  I am completely
> stumped as to how to proceed.  Again, NOT a shared workbook; there are
> no connections to outside databases happening; just a lot of
> user-defined functions and range-lookup stuff happening in the code.
> There is sheet-protection toggling and a bit of conditional formatting
> that's dependent on the user-defined functions but ... nothing special
> in the code really.  Help!  Thanks ...

Wild stab in the dark, but is there any difference to the add-ins that
were loaded on the two systems?
Socks

0
puppet_sock (108)

'This document cannot be marked for voiding' error
I have run across a problem that I was not able to solve. I get the error, 'This document cannot be marked for voiding. It has been either partially applied or is on hold.' When I go into Transactions->Purchasing->Void Open Payables Transactions. Bring up the customer and his attached payment. When I try to 'mark' it for voiding i get the error mentioned above. Thinking that this could be solved just by going under Transactions->Purchasing->Apply Payables Documents and bringing up that customer and 'Un-Applying' the Invoice, but the invoice does no...

CRM 3.0 Client Error Message
I have a Microsoft CRM 3.0 Deployment, running on a Windows 2003 SP1 with MS SQL 2005. The clients are XP SP2, with Office XP SP3. Recently one of the clients received the following error in the Application Event Log every couple of days and Outlook freezes. Event Id: 5973 Source MSCRMAddin Description "An error occurred processing Microsoft CRM related email messages. Not all CRM related email messages may be marked appropriately. I've searched all the MS KB's but haven't found anything yet on this error, the user in question also get a 6224 MSCRMAddressBook Erro as w...

odbcss.h(430) and WinNT.h(267) 'WCHAR' : redefinition ERROR
I'm getting the following error when I compile: any suggestions would be appreciated.. c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\odbcss.h(430) : error C2371: 'WCHAR' : redefinition; different basic types c:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK\Include\WinNT.h(267) : see declaration of 'WCHAR' ...

Question about Forms and XL
Good afternoon, I just found this site and will be spending some tim here. However, I am at work and have to take care of so things so cant spend the time to search so I am going to layout my problem in th hopes that someone can advise on which course of action to take. In my company we use several different excel workbooks for variou tasks. I have several sales people who travel extensively world wid and as a result they often use various connections methods. I recentl deployed an ssl vpn which has made remote access easy however I am lef with one large problem. THe main XL sheet that h...

Outlook 2003
I have an ongoing problem with Outlook 2003 (running on XP SP2 all up to date). Within about ten minutes of starting up Outlook I suddenly loose near all functionality in the program. I can open emails, read them and move them about. However the "New", "Reply", "Reply to All" and "Forward" options all gray out and are unuseable. Similarly, I can no longer copy email addresses or chunks of text out of emails - I can select the text, right click it and select Copy, however the text isn't copied to the clipboard. To get round this, I have t...

Outlook 2003 Rules copy rather than move mail
I have set up Outlook 2003 to move certain e mails (based on the addresses) to a different folder but instead of moving, the e mail;s are copied. I have looked in the support database and on this newsgroup but to no avail. is this "a feature" of O 2003? Peter Posting from Peter Rogers Replace NOSPAM with ntlworld to reply Peter Rogers wrote: > I have set up Outlook 2003 to move certain e mails (based on the > addresses) to a different folder but instead of moving, the e mail;s > are copied. > > I have looked in the support database and on this newsgroup but to n...

Outlook 2003 does not stop on shutdown
I don't know if this the place to ask this. I've googled it to death and cannot find a solution although I have seen others ask this question. Here it is: When I shutdown Windows, I get a "cannot stop Outlook" message. I have to choose "stop now" for shutdown to progress. Specs: Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop WinXP/SP3 IE8 Office 2003, SP3 Outlook is set to minimize to the system tray and my outlook profile is stored on a secondary partition of the main harddrive. This is because I clone the primary partition weekly to guard against burnouts. S...

cannot get office 2003 professional to install on my laptop
I just bought office 2003 professional. I am running Windows XP. When i put the disc in the pc, it is very slow reading it. Then, it will get stuck trying to read a file, and after a while i get a message that there is no CD in the drive. I have cleaned the disk. The disc drive will play a movie fine, and just yeserday downloaded office 97 professional with no apparent problems? I have tried several times to load, with the same result. I am using 25 digit product key. Am i mussing something? Thanks, Tonso ...

outlook error message #41
I have installed office 2003 and when I try to get to my address book I get the following message "can't contact LDAP directory server(81)". How do I repair this ...

Unexpected NDR from Exchange 2003 Server
Hi, A user has sent a mail to gmail account and got a NDR from exchange server. But the mail is delivered to end user. The internal user was able to send mails to that gmail account earlier without any problems. Even there are no changes done on exchange server. The content of NDR is: The recipient has been deleted or has no e-mail address. Any ideas ? Regards, D Ramesh This is interesting, does this happen each time the user sends to this gmail account? The first thing I would do is review the SMTP logs and the headers of the email message. "Ramesh D" wrote: > Hi, &g...

Need to get Publisher 2003 back, vs. 2007
I have Office 2003. I had Word 2003 and Excel 2003 loaded, but Publisher 2003 was not. I "repaired" Office by inserting disc. I now have Pub 2007! I have docs created in 03, they will not open. Plus, I cannot even open Pub 07 at all--I get a statement something like " Will only work when loaded" (approximate statement). All in all, I am very frustrated. First, can I revert back to Pub 03 somehow? That is my preference. Thank you! "Cockapoo Lover" <Cockapoo Lover@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F3F8A80-5640-4E51-...

Office Outlook 2003 from Outlook Express?
Installed Office 2003 and want to switch from Outlook Express to Outlook, but Outlook doesn't show up in my email options for selection...what do I do? Thanks! KRV What e-mail options are you looking at? Under Control Panel->Mail Icon, have you installed your mail account settings? Have you opened Outlook and let it import your OE mail? What steps have you taken to get your mail in Outlook? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will ...

Outlok 2003 doesen't automatically send/recieve while offline
I don't think Outlook 2003 is automatically sending/receiving while offline. I set it to "Automatically send/receive while offline every 1 minute", so I'd except it to do that. But every time I start Outlook, I have to wait around 10 seconds to get an e-mail to pop up. I tested it by sending an e-mail from a different account on a web-based interface to my account hooked up to Outlook. I sent it, and making sure Outlook was closed, I left and waited around 10 minutes. I got back and started Outlook. I would except to see the message in there, because it check every 1 minute a...

linker error because of unresolved external symbol
Hi there, I have a linker error I cannot get rid of. Here it is: nafxcw.lib(appcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___argv nafxcw.lib(appcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol ___argc nafxcw.lib(filelist.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype nafxcw.lib(apphelp.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype nafxcw.lib(timecore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __mbctype I have been searching the newsgroups and haven't found a solution for me. Usually , one get this error when mixing up run-time libs. But I...

"Extra line breaks in this message were removed." in Outlook 2003.
Hello, How do I remove these extra line breaks from my sent plain text e-mails (don't like the formatting -- just like to be simple)? I assume Outlook 2003 is telling there are two carriage returns for each line in my signature. I do not want to have other Outlook users to click on "Restore line breaks" and/or do "Outlook's Tools menu -> Options... -> E-mail Options -> uncheck "Remove extra line breaks in plain text messages". The removed extra line breaks resulted (copied and pasted from an Outlook's sent e-mail): Phillip Pi Senior Softwa...

Some Error that I can't figure out.
Ok I am typing in a bunch of UPC numbers for my data sheet, It will be a couple hundred numbers. The UPC numbers are as follows 012569528628 027616149237 025192051029 012235111536 012569528734 012569508422 12569508439 86162180934 043396039490 043396603820 012569509023 012569509030 12569512429 12569512436 For some odd reason all the numbers without a zero are wrong. All of these numbers need 1 number 0 in front of them. As for the other numbers I get a little green arrow in the upper left corner of the cell. It tells me Something about "Number stored as text" (This is the one...

Frontpage 2003 02-13-10
All of a sudden I am having a problem signing in, when I click on "remote we site" my username and password are no longer being recognized. Why? Try opening your Remote (online) Web site in FP - if that doesn't work, have your host run a repair (server health check) on the FP SE and permissions -- _____________________________________________ SBR @ ENJOY (-: [ Microsoft MVP - FrontPage ] "Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!" (-; _____________________________________________ "rdmscorp" <rdmscorp@discussions.m...

Word 2003
When I open word, I get a line of something in Chinese or Oriental..I close the line and get one more. When I close the second line, it takes me to word. What could this be?? With word closed try searching, to include hidden for normal.dot and deleting all found files "tobeetwo" <tobeetwo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F43750AC-A691-4D13-BB8E-3DD1E2A6D704@microsoft.com... > When I open word, I get a line of something in Chinese or Oriental..I > close > the line and get one more. When I close the second line, it takes me to > wo...

MS Outlook 2003 for small business Tech Refresh 2
I loaded the initial Beta as an upgrade to Office XP Pro version with SP 2 (i think - whatever was the most current upgrage as of the middle of july.) I loaded Office then the other apps then loaded Small Business from CD. Then Upgraded to Tech Refresh when I tried to run Outlook I recieved an error message that Buttons failed to load. Reinstall Outlook Small Business. So I did now it doesn't show up in Outlook, No Small Business Tools Menu shows up. I have tried the following in the order described... Uninstalled Small Business Version and reloaded... Uninstalled Small Bus...

Run-time error 3077
Hello Everybody, In Access 2003, I am using VBA to find a string in a table. Every time I try to execute following line: anRST.FindFirst "John Smith" I get "Run-time error '3077':" which says: Syntax error (missing operator) in expression. Same is true for FindNext, FindLast and FindPrevious. anRST was defined using following code: Set anRST = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Test", dbOpenDynaset) Where "Test" is the name of the table. Any ideas what I am missing? Thank you, -- Syed Zeeshan Haider -----------------------------------------...

Outlook 2000
When I attempt to open OUTLOOK from the desk top icon, I receive an error message stating: "outlook.exe has generated errors. Does anyone have a correction for this problem or solution. PS - I also receive this error when I attempt to open outlook from: "start/programs. Thanks Can you get any more details about the error? "Breck" <Npba900@aol.com> wrote in message news:022e01c3674a$b2fc35e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > When I attempt to open OUTLOOK from the desk top icon, I > receive an error message stating: > > "outlook.exe has generated errors. ...

CRM 3.0 on SBS 2003 R2
Hi. I'm planing on installing CRM 3.0 on a SBS 2003 R2. As I undestand, the R2 editions includes SQL 2005 (?). Normaly that would include .NET 2.0. Is that a problem when I install CRM 3.0? Normaly CRM 3.0 can not be installed on servers with .NET 2.0? Best Regards Jacob Mondrup MCP, CRM 3.0 MSCE www.vivant.dk Hej Jacob I have installed CRM 3.0 on citrix (where ..Net framework 1.1 and 2.0 were installed). There was no problem , thats what i see. It was in window server 2003 , but i dont think it shuld be a problem because some applications do use .Net2.0 (e.g CRM mobile ). Ju...

Error sending CRM Email through VPN Connection
Hello! We have remote users that work with CRM on-line through VPN Connection. Sales for Outlook though VPN works in general, but when someone tries to send CRM email from the Outlook and presses the Send button, he gets an "unknown error". Could you advise us? Thank you, Elena ...

Diagonal error lines in a scatter?
I have a scatter with 2 series. Series 1 plots "Original GM%" vs "Original Sales". Series 2 plots "New GM%" vs "Sales At New Price". The two series have the same number of points; in each series, a point represents a customer. So every company has two points on the chart, one in series 1 and one in series 2. Is there anyway to automatically connect corresponding points in the two series? I know I can use error bars if only the GM changes or only the sales changes (that is, if a company's point in series 2 is vertically or horizontally aligned wi...

Why can't I open Outlook 2003?
Just installed Office 2003, When I try to open Outlook i get 'Configuring Outlook Accounts - creating welcome message', then 'Your Microsoft Exchange Server is unavailable'. When I click 'work offline' I then get 'Unable to open your default e-mail folders - your profile is not configured'. Only option is to click OK, which closes Outlook. Can't get passed these messages. I've reinstalled Office twice - still no luck "Phil" <Phil@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5724BFB7-B39B-4B80-886B-E76CDC21F461@microsoft.com......