Case of the weird shrinking combo text

I have seen this problem mentioned once before somewhere on the net - and
it's one that hits us from time to time...

We have some comboboxes on a worksheet. Just occasionally, for no apparent
reason, the text within the comboboxes starts to shrink in size with each
click. Eventually it becomes unreadable.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a cure?

Many thanks to all,
Ian Digby

--
Work performed in the spirit of service is worship...Baha''i Writings
0

Display text in Excel Bubble chart. #2
H1!, I have an Excel spreadsheet which contains X-coordinates, Y-Cordinates, Well name and Cumulative Oil/Gas/Water production. I have created bubble map using X,Y and Z(Cum production). I need to show the well name on each Bubble, which I am unable to do. Kindly sugest method to display the well name on the bubbles. Thanks, Raja Mukherjee Raja - Rob Bovey's Chart Labeler (http://appspro.com) is a free addin that adds text from the worksheet to data labels on a chart series. I just tested it on a bubble chart and it works fine. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP ...

Self-Made Combo Boxes not working correctly...
Okay all.. Here's my deal... I have tried and tried and tried to get these to work... I'm going to post what I have done, and what I am trying to do, and see if someone can help me figure crap out... tblBuilding - PK is BuildingIDNum - Autonumber tblBuildingZones - FK is BuildingIDNum via SELECT DISTINCTROW Building.BuildingIDNum, Building.Name FROM Building ORDER BY Building.BuildingIDNum; cboBuilding - This has Building 1, Building 2, etc. The field displaying this info is "Name" in tblBuilding. cboBuildingZones - This has different "zones" for Building 1,...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

Need help with Combo Box?
I would appreciate any help with this. I currently have a form with two combo boxes and a subform. The first combo box lists counties and the second box lists doctors in selected county. After selecting county, doc the subform lists pts for this doc. All this works fine. However, I need to add a couple of more filters. I am stuck and would like to know how to do this. I don't want to mess up what I already have. How can I incorporate a couple more filters? I thought maybe adding an option box to the form????? Can someone please help me to accomplish this? Thank you. Sure...

Extend text to next cell
I am trying to get my text to run over to the next cell only in display not actual value of that cell. So if A1 says, "How now brown cow.", it should show over cells A2 and A3. However, I also need the carriage returns to be picked up. If I use the "Wrap Text" property it only shows the sentence in that cell. If I don't use it I get the [] (brackets) in place of the carriage return. Maybe you could merge those cells (A1:A3 or did you really mean A1:C1?) But be aware that merging cells causes trouble with sorting, pasting, and lots of other stuff. Format|cells|al...

Report width will not shrink
I have a report that was originally designed as legal size, but by eliminating a few columns is now landscape letter size. However I am unable to shrink the width from 12" to 9" - there seems to be something invisible to me in one of the headers, footers or detail sections. I have tried everything to try to select whatever it is that is 12" wide but am unable to find it. I have tried CTRL A for select all, tried highlighting from the top or the side, etc but nothing shows up. It has to be a line or something, but when I preview the report the second page is blank. I ...

cleare space using shrink
Hello there I have server which has not enough disk space. I have removed an unessesery data from my databases which is approx 50% of the datbase which is 20 GB As i know i need at least 20 GB on the HDisk to run the shrink (which i don't have, at least 10 GB). how can i free space in this case? ...

Weird Things Happening w/Excel2003
Work just upgraded our office products and now older spreadsheets ar showing up with row numbers and column numbers instead of Row Number Column Letters. This has messed up all of the formulas and no one ca make changes because they have no idea how to re-write the formulas HELP!!! is there a setting in Excel that we are missing??? Thanks! -Pa -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Go to Tools-Options-General and uncheck the box marked "R1C1 reference style" -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "rayzgurl >" <<rayzgurl.19rgd3@excelforum-nosp...

Justifying text of an axis
How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, mdicke <mdicke@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >How do you justify the text of an axis in an excel chart? You can't, it's fixed by the axis. The best you can do is select a monospaced font and use a custom number format with ???? (question marks). -- Del Cotter NB Personal replies to this post will send email to del@branta.demon.co.uk, which goes to a spam folder-- please send your email to del3 instead. ...

Weird black screen when responding to message
Hi All, The title says it all really. I've recently started to get a black screen with coloured type when I reply to messages. Invariably the screen goes back to white with whatever colour type is applicable to a string of messages but sometimes I have to hit send with it showing coloured text on black. When the message arrives at the other end the colour is correct. More oddly, this doesn't happen on all messages but is beginning to become more frequent. I've run a couple of spyware progs and Norton anti virus etc. so don't think its anything nasty behind it. So over to...

Need RULE to search for Text in Body with varying # of spaces
Hi there, I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: "With specific words in the body" However the "Specific words" I'm looking for might contain varying number of spaces: EX: "some text: some more text" "some text: some more text" Is there a wildcard or something to match multiple spaces? --Thanks very much, Kenneth Kenneth Parker <kenneth.parker@sas.com> wrote: > I have Outlook 2002 and have been using the outlook rule condition: > "With specific words in the body" > > However...

text font color won't print in Excel, why?
I am using Excel 2002. I changed the text font color of the cell. It displays correctly on my screen, but it prints as black text even though I selected a pale yellow. Word 2002 prints correctly. The pale yellow prints as a light shade of gray. Does anyone know why? Thanks eagle Perhaps in Page Setup>Sheet you have "Black and White" checked? Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 22:51:01 -0800, eagle7 <eagle7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am using Excel 2002. I changed the text font color of the cell. It >displays correctly on my screen, b...

Imported text file w/o unique identifiers, find duplicates
Imported a txt file w/o unique identifiers and have run a query to find possible duplicate records based on 3 seperate fields. How can I either update those fields that may be in error in the original table or append a new record w/o the duplicate data and delete the original record? In the following I need to determine which records to keep, which to delete and/or which to update. End Date Total Sheets Time Operator Name 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00094123 B D MCNARA 3/3/2007 14 0:00 00095681 NAME UNKNOWN 3/17/2007 84 0:01 00091234 C D S 3/17/2007 84 0:01 000...

Synchronize combo boxes
I am trying to sync to combo boxes on a form. It is for plant names which consist of Genus + Species + Subspecies, basically. I have all my data in a single table and I want only applicable species to show up for a particular Genus, for example: Abies concolor Abies glauca Abies alba Quercus alba Quercus macrocarpa Any genus can have many species, some of those species names can exist within multiple Genus names, I have made to seperate tables with just Genus and just Species names, I want them to link in the combo boxes, any ideas? Previously responded to... Regards ...

Combo Box 11-21-07
Hi I have a database where on the main form (it's a pop-up), there's a combo box that allows the user to select a person's name. That should bring up the record and display the data. However, for some reason, it's stopped working? The Name field at the top of the form now reads "#Name?" even though the field is specified as "Client"&FirstName& and I get an error message of "The expression After Update you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: Object or class does not support the set of events" Can someone ...

Importing text files into Excel
Does anyone know of a quick and easy way to bring large text files into Excel. The data in the text files is separated by spaces. The spaces that separate the data vary in number. I have tried to replace the spaces with tabs while in Notepad but it takes too long. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks Chris Open Excel and create a blank workbook. Then: Data | Get External Data | Import Data (this command might be something like Import Text File, if you are using an older version of Excel). Browse to find your file and click to Import it. Should open up the Text Import Wizard. Make...

Changing a formula's result to text
I have a pretty simple worksheet that lists the date in column A. In column B, I have a formula that converts the date in Column A to the proper day of week. When I put it in a pivot table, it treats column B as an individual date, not the proper DOW. I attempted to copy/paste special/values into a new column, but it doesn't change it to the DOW, it leaves it as the date. I am trying to get Excel to permanently change the cells in column B to say "Tuesday" instead of 4/19/07. Does that make sense? All of the conventional answers don't seem to work for me. Any help? It...

What can stop a PC from displaying Access 2000/2003 text & background colours?
Can anyone suggest a reason why a specific Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop should be unable to display any of the text or background colours on an utterly basic test form with only a couple of text boxes and no VBA code on an otherwise empty test database? The problem also happens with an application of mine using Access 2003 runtime - but only on this PC. It runs fine on several other PCs. I have applied every available Windows XP Home update and every available Office 2000 update to no effect. The laptop (set to 32-bit colour) can display digital colour photographs without any problem and ...

text spilling over text and colums
My text is spilling over the colums and the text. When I change the view from 70% to 75% the text will not show in the row colums, they go out into the white area. If you get this today please feel free to respond. thanks in advanced. Have you tried resizing the column? or perhaps a word wrap? To resize a column at the top by the letter just click the line in between and your mouse pointer should change and allow you drag the column to size. (See pictures 1 and 2) To use the word wrap feature Right-click on the field and select format cells, then click on the alignment tab and you sho...

weird sum on report
Hi everyone I'm building a report based on several crosstab qry and it seem ok with values. That report has group values. I want, at some point, a line with totals as well as a line with the difference between 2 lines, like expenses to sales. Quite simple, i guess. Result : not only it doesn't subtract in some grouping/levels, as well it doesn't sum the other 4 lines i need. Is this weird or not? (lol) Tks in advance for all your help. Pedro Pedro, I don't see anything wrong from where I sit. Of course, I can't see your crosstabs, data, grouping levels, expressions, ...

Picture Behind Text
I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do this? Rob K wrote: > I am trying to place a photo overtop of a text box but it is covering > up the text. i want the text to show though the photo. how do i do > this? ==================================== Which version of Publisher? Place the text box on top of the picture. If you see an unwanted white background behind the text... select the text box and type...Ctrl+T...to make it transparent. -- John Inzer MS Picture It! - Digital ...

Text All Capitals
In MSWord, formatting can easily be set so that selected text is always in capitals by Format>Fonts>All Caps. Can text in Excel be similarly formatted? Yes it can be done, but not quite in the same way that Word works. Assuming Column A (ie A1, A2, A3 etc) contains the data you wish to converted to upper case, choose a parallel Column B (ie B1, B2, B3 etc.) and use the formula =UPPER(A1) =UPPER(A2) =UPPER(A3) and so on. -- MartinShort Software Tester ------------------------------------------------------------------------ MartinShort's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

Help with formatting text in a textbox
Hi All, I have been trying everything I can think of, and still not getting the results I'm after. I am trying to summarize an order in a textbox, by building a string and assigning it to the caption property of the text box. I create a recordset based on what's in the table, then loop through it and build my string(s). I want to display everything nicely, so I am trying to space each field so that I can put in a header row of labels, and then have each record show nicely spaced below. I am now finding that even when I take into account the length of the data inthe field, I still ca...

Nonadjacent Cell Text Overflow
Is there a way to merge nonadjacent cells for text overflow. What I' trying to do is have text entered into a row of merged cells(e.g. Row A1:F1) but if the text is more than the cells can contain to overflo into another nonadjacent row of merged cells(Row3 A1:F1). Thanks fo any help with this -- Db171 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Db1712's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1591 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27498 ...

Can this VBA for work on text files be modified for a different job ?
I have been using the code below (which, from memory, came from the M-Soft site before I hashed it about) successfully to open 2 text files, appending the whole of one file to the end of the other, then deleting the source file. Now a new task is to; - update all text files in a specified folder by appending a new record. This is to be a daily routine, and there should end up being about 800 to 1000 text files to be updated. - The information for the record that is appended to each file comes from a single text file each day (source file). - The first column of this 'source file' ho...