Cannot Change Excel 2002 Options

I'm attempting to change the Default File Location in Excel 2002 under
Tools/Options.
I can change the setting and it remains until I close Excel and re-open it.
Once I've reopened Excel I find the Default File Location set back to what
it was before the recent change.

I've tested other settings under Tools\Options and they will not remain
after restarting Excel either.
At first I thought it might be something set by Group Policy, but it doesn't
appear to be the case for two reasons:
1) Group Policy would not re-apply immediately, it takes at least 20 minutes
to refresh
2) I've verified with Group Policy manager that there are no settings
configured that relate to Excel Options

Any thoughts on what might cause this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
--David

0
dhoch (19)
8/8/2008 6:48:52 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Perhaps you do not have permission to change the Registry.

Excel writes that default file location and some other
options....globals........to the Registry.

Options written to this reg path.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Excel\Options

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 14:48:52 -0400, "David G. Hoch"
<dhoch@dghtechnologies.com> wrote:

>I'm attempting to change the Default File Location in Excel 2002 under
>Tools/Options.
>I can change the setting and it remains until I close Excel and re-open it.
>Once I've reopened Excel I find the Default File Location set back to what
>it was before the recent change.
>
>I've tested other settings under Tools\Options and they will not remain
>after restarting Excel either.
>At first I thought it might be something set by Group Policy, but it doesn't
>appear to be the case for two reasons:
>1) Group Policy would not re-apply immediately, it takes at least 20 minutes
>to refresh
>2) I've verified with Group Policy manager that there are no settings
>configured that relate to Excel Options
>
>Any thoughts on what might cause this would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks,
>--David

0
Gord

Can't find where to change view!
I have Outlook 2002 all fully patched both on my Desktop and on my Laptop. When I view a particular message on my desktop version, it views in HTML. When I view the SAME message in Outlook on the laptop, it's just plain text. I can't for the life of me, find the option in Outlook on the laptop to change that! (It's probably SO obvious I just haven't seen it!) Thanks -- Interim Systems and Management Accounting Gordon Burgess-Parker Director www.gbpcomputing.co.uk Do you have the Slovak Attachment Options add-in installed on the laptop? If so, check to see if the "Re...

Dashboard Reporting
Hi, I recently tried to create a 'dashboard' style report by using the camera tool to take pictures of my graphs on different worksheets, and presenting them together on the first worksheet. You can see samples of this type of report at www.exceluser.com Everything looks good until I try to print preview, at which point graphic elements on the chart, and the plot area, totally resize. This makes the chart unreadable. Both the camera picture of the chart (on sheet 1) and the original chart (on sheet 3) are affected. Does anybody know why this happens, or how to prevent it happenin...

Font Changes in Emails
All my email settings are set to Arial 10pt black so all emails I create and respond to show the Arial font on screen. However, since the beginning of this year, when I get a response to an email I have sent or forwarded, my original text in the email has converted to Times New Roman. I am working through a network but no-one else has this problem and my network administrator cannot explain why it is happening. Any ideas? Hello Josie, I too have had this happen to me in my own e-mail account form the organisation I work for. It appears that in certain circumstances the sett...

Dynamically changing filename referenced by day
This is actually a friends problem but i will try and translate what he said to me as i can. He has said to me that he references a certain spreadsheet which changes everyday. Everyday he has to manually select the referenced file and asks how he can automate the task. This is what he said to me: "Basically the file name is called Highboard and its a collection of 12 panels on one screen each panel with different information. Now the files I want to link it with are in the FB network drive, New Folders and Pecs. Now each day a new sheet is created but the format is the same and so what...

Changes not showing up until 5 minutes later
We are on a NT4 network. The file is 7.5mb and we are using Excel 97. One user makes changes and closes the file. Another opens the file and the changes do not display . They close the file and reopen it 5 minutes later and ALL IS WELL. What is happening and how can we fix this? Thanks! Ken Big workbooks can take a long time to calculate. Doing things to Excel in the meantime can stop the process. Try leaving Excel alone for a bit and see what happens. Regards BrianB ============================================= "Ken L" <kenkasf@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:...

Change the numeric value of a dropdown to text value
I'm trying to email the values of form fields that I have created in a form. So basically what I want to do is in the Subject I want to take the "value" of the dropdown called dropdown1 and put it in the subject. It is working but it is putting the numeric value instead of the text value. How do I convert it. Thanks much! Use the .Result, not the .Value -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Wo...

tab button not working in excel
Help! I've done something weird in an excel spreadsheet. I don't know what I did, but the tab key stopped working. I reset the transition key checkmark in tools>options>transition, and now it tabs, but it not from field to field...meaning instead of going from A1 to B1, it goes from A1 to Q1 or W1!! I don't think it is password protected, although I am not the only user to have acess to it. Any ideas would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!! Traci If any of the cells are unlocked (Format>Cells...>Protection>Locked = unchecked) and the worksheet locked then the tab...

Problem with Excel Links
I have a number of Excel workbooks and I wish to link them to a single summary worksheet. Linking them isn't a problem, however I would like to be able to 'switch off' the links to particular workbooks/worksheets so that I could select which were included on the summary sheet at any one time. Put another way, I want to have all the linked workbooks populated with data and then to be able to select which worksheets 'feed' through to the summary sheet to explore different scenarios. Any help will be very much appreciated. John You can use Edit, Links and change your sour...

Recommendations for an Excel and VBA book
Can anyone recommend a really good Excel reference book? In addition to the Microsoft guides, I have purchased several books and find them either too basic to be of help when the going gets tough, or a little too hard to understand (usually because they use terms and operators without clearly defining their function and/or limitations). Excel 2000 VBA by John Green is the best I have found, but it is just about 1 notch above my understanding in many areas. I have learned more from this newsgroup and the programming newsgroup than from any other source, and you are all appreciated. Thanks i...

Outlook Tool Bar In Excel Spreadsheet
Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear as a toolbar under view. Hi KathyG Press the mail button on the standard toolbar next to the save button again -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "KathyG" <kgriffith@rc.com> wrote in message news:07e501c38464$c8422540$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Up with the tool bars there an outlook tool bar with the > to, from, etc. I cannot get rid of it. It does not appear > as a toolbar under view. Ron, thank you. I canno...

EXCEL 2003 MACRO Problem
Hi all gurus please help. I have a windows schelduler to open at a certain time and when the cells have been updated the file closes. The problems i'm having it the file stays open and i have to manually close the open file on a weekly basis, the cells are not updated either? Please see my code below: Private Changed As Boolean Private Sub Workbook_Open() 'start with the workbook showing unchanged Changed = False ' create our shutdown timer Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("00:00:10"), procedure:="ThisWorkbook.Auto_Close" ...

3d line charts cause Excel 2007 to crash
This is more of a bug report than a question (I've not been able to find a standard place to report bugs in Office 2007, the Connect site is for developer products such as Visual Studio etc). 3d line charts which work perfectly well on a pc with Excel 2003 cause Excel 2007 to hang when opened on my Vista pc with Excel 2007. I hope this is something which can be fixed when Service Pack 1 is released for Office 2007, as it is a very useful chart feature which we (and our clients) use a lot in one area of our work, and it may prevent our clients from migrating from Office 2003 to Of...

Formulas don't calculate until SAVE (excel 2000)
I have a client who insists they have a spreadsheet in which calculations of certain formulas do not occur until they SAVE the spreadsheet. They say it used to always auto-calculate upon entering in data into CELLS but changed to NOW only calculating when they press the SAVE speedbutton. I asked them if they started doing anything new or different? They said they just recently started pasting new columns from anything spreadsheet (provided by another company). It is an inconvenience to keep having to press SAVE. Any Ideas? --Rick It soulds as though Calculate has become manual....

Excel menus are locked when opening an XLS file using IE
A financial website (www.investors.com) is publishing daily an Excel spreadsheet. When I click on the link, Internet Explorer asks me whether I want to save the file or open the file. When I choose "Open" the Excel file shows up nicely in my browser ... the IE menus change to Excel menus. Problem: I can only use the File menu choices; the other menus are LOCKED. Why? I'm using Office XP on Windows 2000 Professional. At work I'm using Office 2002 and things work fine. Is this an Office XP issue, or is ther somewhere a setting that I have to teak? Any help is mu...

WORD vs. EXCEL: How to Optimize
Hi all... I have a fairly complex spreadsheet that also incorporates lots of legal text. The app allows reps to enter info about prospects, and it computes pricing, generates legal documents, and other info. Clearly, EXCEL handles the math, but is weak with text. Depending upon certain inputs, different blocks of text may be used. Ideal world: utilize the best of both. Question: should I make this a WORD_centric document or an EXCEL-centric document, and how to set up the links between the two. Many thanks... /Randy Randy, It depends in part on the layout you want. With Excel, you ge...

Excel 2007 Scatter Plot Freak Out!
I am a fairly experience Excel XP and 2003 user and I have a few questions: Why is it when I work with scatter plots in Excel 2007 my dual Xeon CPU computer with 4 GB RAM slows to a crawl? Is this a feature? It's never done that with Excel XP, Excel 2003, or any other application. How does one add chart and axis labels to a scatter plot? Not that I need them, all my end users prefer scatter plots with no axis labels. That way the charts can be interpreted any way they please. Yet another feature? Given a scatter plot with a singe series of 4 data points, how does one add a 2nd...

Can I insert a box on excel that can be checked and un-checked?
I would like to insert a box that can be checked or unchecked, like a check list showing what is done and what is not done. I was just wondering where I can find that. Thanks Right click on your toolbar, on the drop down pick Forms, should be there Larry -- keithl816 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ keithl816's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=21287 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=494386 ...

how to automate exporting excel worksheet to csv file
Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an excel spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 20:23:43 -0500, "Bob" <rpl-erroroneous@goldengate.net> wrote in microsoft.public.excel.misc: >Looking for a way to create a macro or script to export the contents of an >excel >spreadsheet ( 6columns) to an ASCII comma separated file. >I would like to be able to script this to run weekly. With VBA, I would do it this way: someWorkBook.SaveAs Fil...

Where is the graphics selection pointer in excel 2007?
I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the left end of the drawing toolbar then click and drag over multiple graphics to select them all. Then I could group them etc. What do i do now? It's to be found in - Insert tab - Illustrations - Shapes - select a shape and insert into w/s and immediately the new drawing tools format tab opens up -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Bruce" wrote: > I used to be able to click on the graphics selection tool in office 97 on the ...

Outlook 2002 Since MSN Upgrade
I use Outlook 2002 with my Hotmail account. I have always had Outlook save a copy of Sent messages in the local PST Sent folder. Since the recent upgrade (last week) to MSN Hotmail, it seems Outlook will no longer save a copy of Sent Hotmail messages to the local PST Sent folder. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know how to resolve it other than regularly copying messages from the Hotmail Sent folder to the local PST Sent folder? ...

How do I enable OWA 2003 change password faclility.
Guys, Is there a way one can enable the password change facility on OWA 2003 running on Exchange 2003? I need to make this work so that users connecting through OWA can change their account passwords. Thanks -- Buchi Hi Buchi, The information is outlined in the following Microsoft KB article: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;297121 Regards -- Ben Hoffman MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin) http://www.ExchangeIS.com "Buchi" <Buchi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B9EB7ADB-024B-43A7-87BB-0FD2587892D4@microsoft.com...

Changing to new dates
Hi everyone I am trying to change last year of date to new year i.e from 2003 to 2004.I have done them day by day and if i start changing date i have to do for 365 days .Can any one tell me how can i change those years e.g 01/01/0 02/01/03 this goes up to 31/12/0 and i want it to be changed to 2004 year plz help me im going crazy!!! Just put the first date in the first cell assume it is A1, in A2 put =A1+1 then just copy down the formula -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Ali" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8B773478-C8A1-4F88-AE9D-CD3DD5B8878...

Excel "Insert Comment" Formatting
Hi, Windows XP Home Excel 2002 How can I format the "Insert Comment" .....(open Workbook > right click on a cell > left click > Insert Comment)......in my Excel worksheet? It opens now at Font Size 8. I would like it to open at a larger Font Size and also have the Insert Comment window saved at my chosen larger size (I know how to expand to a larger size but want to save it at that size for next time using Insert Comment in a different cell). Thank you, Larry Larry Start > settings > Control Panel > Display > Appearance Tab > Advanced. Select...

Enabling change password on second virtual OWA
Is there a way to enable Password change other thatn in the default web site that holds the Default OWA? I created a second HTTP virtual OWA, with a different SSL Certificate and domain name on the same Server. Everything works will, except that the Change password does not work, even after setting-up the iisadmpwd and adjusting the metadata base to have PasswordChangeFlags set to ). Any help here will be appreciative Manny ...

Time line in excel graph
I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after the line is the future predicted outcomes. I've tried countless different options and cant seem to find how to do this! Hi, There are various ways of addressing this problem. See the following for examples of adding lines to charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html http://tushar-mehta.com/excel/charts/straight_lines/index.html http://www.andypope.info/charts/averageline.htm Cheers Andy Wilkesy50 wrote: > I need a vertical line in my graph to show that the graph information after > th...