can you look up info from a validated drop down menu in excel 2007

I have
     a                             b
2 Name	                 Wage
3	                 $-
4   existing employee	 $20.00
5   existing employee	 $25.00
6   existing employee   $17.00
7   Labor Ready ID	 $10.00
8   Labor Ready UT	 $10.00
9   Labor Ready WA	 $10.00
10 Future Employee	 $-
11 Future Employee	 $-
12 Future Employee	 $-

in another work sheet i have

       a&b           c          d          i
5  Labor cost
6  Name         hours    rate   Total Cost

in a7-9 i have a drop menu based on a name I created employee.
employee='Employee records'!$A$3:$A$54
I have also created two other name that are rate and name.
name='Employee records'!$A$3,'Employee records'!$A$4,'Employee
records'!$A$5,'Employee records'!$A$6,etc...to54
rate='Employee records'!$C$3,'Employee records'!$C$4,'Employee
records'!$C$5,'Employee records'!$C$6,etc...to54

what I would like is an equation (i was hoping) like in
D7=lookup(A7,name,rate)

The end goal is to select an employee from the dropdown menu and when that
happens the rate is update corralating to that employee.  I want it to work
this way so that it is really easy to copy and past throughout the workbook,
as I have multiple form that have a labor cost area and already have update
all corresponding cells for name to be drop down menus.

Any help would be great, thank you in advance.
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can use VLOOKUP for this, if I understand your problem correctly.

try: =VLOOKUP(A7,Sheet1!$A$2:$B$12,2,FALSE)

where A7 is the name chosen in the dropdown
Sheet1 is where the table of rates is, in cells A2:B12 (possibly you
have more rows than this, just use a big enough number in place of 12).
2 tells it to return the value from the second column of the matching row

Hope this helps
Adam
MCAS:Instructor

Jason Jessup wrote:
> I have
>      a                             b
> 2 Name	                 Wage
> 3	                 $-
> 4   existing employee	 $20.00
> 5   existing employee	 $25.00
> 6   existing employee   $17.00
> 7   Labor Ready ID	 $10.00
> 8   Labor Ready UT	 $10.00
> 9   Labor Ready WA	 $10.00
> 10 Future Employee	 $-
> 11 Future Employee	 $-
> 12 Future Employee	 $-
>
> in another work sheet i have
>
>        a&b           c          d          i
> 5  Labor cost
> 6  Name         hours    rate   Total Cost
> 7
> 8
> 9
>
> in a7-9 i have a drop menu based on a name I created employee.
> employee='Employee records'!$A$3:$A$54
> I have also created two other name that are rate and name.
> name='Employee records'!$A$3,'Employee records'!$A$4,'Employee
> records'!$A$5,'Employee records'!$A$6,etc...to54
> rate='Employee records'!$C$3,'Employee records'!$C$4,'Employee
> records'!$C$5,'Employee records'!$C$6,etc...to54
>
> what I would like is an equation (i was hoping) like in
> D7=lookup(A7,name,rate)
>
> The end goal is to select an employee from the dropdown menu and when that
> happens the rate is update corralating to that employee.  I want it to work
> this way so that it is really easy to copy and past throughout the workbook,
> as I have multiple form that have a labor cost area and already have update
> all corresponding cells for name to be drop down menus.
>
> Any help would be great, thank you in advance.
0
AdamV