can you control how comments print in excel xp or 2003?

I noticed a user at the copier today, using the blow up function to
try to enlarge the comments that he had printed out at the end of his
excel worksheet. He commented that he could not change the font for
the comments. I went back to my desk, and was able to replicate the
issue...

In short, you can format comments for on-screen viewing (and
presumably when you print comments "in place"), but if you print out
all the comments at the end of your document, you apparently can't
control the font/size/formatting/etc. The only thing I could find that
made a different to how it printed was the "page zoom" or "fit to X by
Y pages", but that makes the rest of the worksheet print out wrong.

Any ideas? Is this a known issue, and/or by design?

My computer is Win2k w/ Office XP, the user is running WinXP & Office
2003. Same thing on both machines and various printers.

Thanks,
Szkrad
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You cannot control the default FontType, which is Tahoma, with using VBA
code.

You can change the fonttype, size and formatting manually by Edit Comment.

You can re-size the Comments by simply dragging on the edge.

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkaradnik@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I noticed a user at the copier today, using the blow up function to
>try to enlarge the comments that he had printed out at the end of his
>excel worksheet. He commented that he could not change the font for
>the comments. I went back to my desk, and was able to replicate the
>issue...
>
>In short, you can format comments for on-screen viewing (and
>presumably when you print comments "in place"), but if you print out
>all the comments at the end of your document, you apparently can't
>control the font/size/formatting/etc. The only thing I could find that
>made a different to how it printed was the "page zoom" or "fit to X by
>Y pages", but that makes the rest of the worksheet print out wrong.
>
>Any ideas? Is this a known issue, and/or by design?
>
>My computer is Win2k w/ Office XP, the user is running WinXP & Office
>2003. Same thing on both machines and various printers.
>
>Thanks,
>Szkrad

0
Gord
7/25/2008 8:43:01 PM
I should mention that you can change the Comment default font size through
Windows Display>Appearance>Advanced>Item

Re-size the Tooltips font.  This will affect all Tooltips.

Gord

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:43:01 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>You cannot control the default FontType, which is Tahoma, with using VBA
>code.
>
>You can change the fonttype, size and formatting manually by Edit Comment.
>
>You can re-size the Comments by simply dragging on the edge.
>

>Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP
>

>On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkaradnik@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I noticed a user at the copier today, using the blow up function to
>>try to enlarge the comments that he had printed out at the end of his
>>excel worksheet. He commented that he could not change the font for
>>the comments. I went back to my desk, and was able to replicate the
>>issue...
>>
>>In short, you can format comments for on-screen viewing (and
>>presumably when you print comments "in place"), but if you print out
>>all the comments at the end of your document, you apparently can't
>>control the font/size/formatting/etc. The only thing I could find that
>>made a different to how it printed was the "page zoom" or "fit to X by
>>Y pages", but that makes the rest of the worksheet print out wrong.
>>
>>Any ideas? Is this a known issue, and/or by design?
>>
>>My computer is Win2k w/ Office XP, the user is running WinXP & Office
>>2003. Same thing on both machines and various printers.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Szkrad

0
Gord
7/25/2008 9:36:32 PM
Gord,

Thank you for the quick response. The methods below change how the
comments show on screen and when you select the option "as displayed
on sheet" on the sheet tab in page setup; however, if you select
instead "at end of sheet" the edits made in this manner to the
comments do not seem to affect the printed out comments that follow
the worksheet printout.

Brian

On Jul 25, 4:43=A0pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
> You cannot control the default FontType, which is Tahoma, with using VBA
> code.
>
> You can change the fonttype, size and formatting manually by Edit Comment=
..

> You can re-size the Comments by simply dragging on the edge.
>
> Gord Dibben =A0MS Excel MVP
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkarad...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I noticed a user at the copier today, using the blow up function to
> >try to enlarge the comments that he had printed out at the end of his
> >excel worksheet. He commented that he could not change the font for
> >the comments. I went back to my desk, and was able to replicate the
> >issue...
>
> >In short, you can format comments for on-screen viewing (and
> >presumably when you print comments "in place"), but if you print out
> >all the comments at the end of your document, you apparently can't
> >control the font/size/formatting/etc. The only thing I could find that
> >made a different to how it printed was the "page zoom" or "fit to X by
> >Y pages", but that makes the rest of the worksheet print out wrong.
>
> >Any ideas? Is this a known issue, and/or by design?
>
> >My computer is Win2k w/ Office XP, the user is running WinXP & Office
> >2003. Same thing on both machines and various printers.
>
> >Thanks,
> >Szkrad- Hide quoted text -

I see now what you're getting at.

I don't know how to overcome that without dragging the Comments to bottom of
sheet and set to "As displayed on sheet".

But that looks a litlle mesy what with the connection arrows visible.

I s'pose some code could be devised to copy the Comment Text into shapes
like rectangles and place the rectangles across the bottom but a lot of
work.

Gord

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkaradnik@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Gord,
>
>Thank you for the quick response. The methods below change how the
>comments show on screen and when you select the option "as displayed
>on sheet" on the sheet tab in page setup; however, if you select
>instead "at end of sheet" the edits made in this manner to the
>comments do not seem to affect the printed out comments that follow
>the worksheet printout.
>
>Brian
>
>On Jul 25, 4:43�pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>> You cannot control the default FontType, which is Tahoma, with using VBA
>> code.
>>
>> You can change the fonttype, size and formatting manually by Edit Comment.
>>
>> You can re-size the Comments by simply dragging on the edge.
>>
>> Gord Dibben �MS Excel MVP
>>
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 08:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkarad...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I noticed a user at the copier today, using the blow up function to
>> >try to enlarge the comments that he had printed out at the end of his
>> >excel worksheet. He commented that he could not change the font for
>> >the comments. I went back to my desk, and was able to replicate the
>> >issue...
>>
>> >In short, you can format comments for on-screen viewing (and
>> >presumably when you print comments "in place"), but if you print out
>> >all the comments at the end of your document, you apparently can't
>> >control the font/size/formatting/etc. The only thing I could find that
>> >made a different to how it printed was the "page zoom" or "fit to X by
>> >Y pages", but that makes the rest of the worksheet print out wrong.
>>
>> >Any ideas? Is this a known issue, and/or by design?
>>
>> >My computer is Win2k w/ Office XP, the user is running WinXP & Office
>> >2003. Same thing on both machines and various printers.
>>
>> >Thanks,
>> >Szkrad- Hide quoted text -

Gord
7/26/2008 12:58:27 AM
One more suggestion.

Use the code provided by Debra Dalgleish to list all the Comments on a
separate sheet.

You could format as you like.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlcomments03.html#AllSheets

Gord

On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:58:27 -0700, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:

>I see now what you're getting at.
>
>I don't know how to overcome that without dragging the Comments to bottom of
>sheet and set to "As displayed on sheet".
>
>But that looks a litlle mesy what with the connection arrows visible.
>
>I s'pose some code could be devised to copy the Comment Text into shapes
>like rectangles and place the rectangles across the bottom but a lot of
>work.
>

>Gord
>
>On Fri, 25 Jul 2008 15:15:15 -0700 (PDT), Szkrad <b.szkaradnik@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Gord,
>>
>>Thank you for the quick response. The methods below change how the
>>comments show on screen and when you select the option "as displayed
>>on sheet" on the sheet tab in page setup; however, if you select
>>instead "at end of sheet" the edits made in this manner to the
>>comments do not seem to affect the printed out comments that follow
>>the worksheet printout.
>>
>>Brian
>>
>>On Jul 25, 4:43�pm, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote:
>>> You cannot control the default FontType, which is Tahoma, with using VBA
>>> code.
>>>
>>> You can change the fonttype, size and formatting manually by Edit Comment.
>>>
>>> You can re-size the Comments by simply dragging on the edge.
>>>
>>> Gord Dibben �MS Excel MVP

Gord

Hello all, I have a rather simple to describe but difficult to solve problem. Our customers want to use our ANSI MFC program to show different languages. For example Polish. When I set the font for the different controls they behave different. For example the CEdit shows the polish characters just right but the CButton with checkbox style shows glyphs instead of the special characters. Every control that is owner draw and uses for example the DrawText() function of the device context shows the characters right. I've experimented with _UNICODE for the display part and everything I could ...

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Administrative Groups
I have 2 Administrative groups with a Exchange 2003 Server in each group. One group is on the other side of campus and is controlled by their Exchange Server Tech. I have delegated control of my server to myself. There are also users from the other server that do not belong in my server and would like to remove them. The problem is, that when I go to remove them it will not , because the user or group is inherited from the organization. How can I remove them from my server and yet not remove them from their server? It sounds like that if I remove them from the orgainization that they wi...

Excel not Access

Outlook 2003 and "Check Names"

Excel 2007

How do I use traffic lights in excel