Can this Be Done in Excel ?

I have a employee job scheduling table that I would like to populate
based on criteria from 2 other tables.

The scheduling table has the employee names listed in each row and
across the top is the period of the day broken into 4 time periods.

The critera tables are:

1. A training matrix that lists the employee names in each row and
the
jobs listed across the top. If an employee is trained, the
intersecting cell has a "T". If they are not trained, the cell is
blank.

2. An attendance table that lists the employee names in each row and
if they are absent, there is an "A" in the next cell. If they are at
work, the cell is blank.

I'd like to be able to populate the scheduling table based on whether
they are trained and present at work. Basically, each day the
attendance table would be updated and then the scheduling table would
be automatically re-calculated. There would need to be provisions to
prevent the same employee from being scheduled on the same job more
than once a day on a certain job unless no one else was trained.

Can this be setup in excel ?

Thanks

Jeff

0
jmacvicar (2)
10/15/2007 6:43:01 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Jeff

You need someone to write a macro for you, if I could program Sudoku then
maybe I could do this. In the mean time here is something to help you.

I had my table of jobs and employees on one sheet.

Table 1
Names	Job1	Job2	Job3	Job4
Jon		T		T
Joe	T	T		T
Ali			T	T
Jean		T	T
Fred	T	T		T
Alice	T

Table 2
Names	In
Jon	A
Joe
Ali
Jean	A
Fred
Alice

TAble 3 on sheet2

Schedule1	Job1	Job2	Job3	Job4	Tasks Avail
Alice	1	0	0	0	1
Ali	0	0	1	1	2
Joe	1	1	0	1	3
Fred	1	1	0	1	3
Jon	0	0	0	0
Jean	0	0	0	0
Total1	3	2	1	3

the formula in B1 Job1 (Alice)
=SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$8=$A2),(Sheet1!B$3:B$8="T")*(Sheet1!$B$12:$B$17<>"A"))

copy this across and down

formula in F1
=IF(SUM(B2:E2)=0,"",SUM(B2:E2))
and copy down

I then sorted the list on column F and used this to produce a schedule below.

I started the schedule in A11 and used the formula =A1 for the names which
helps when sorting.

Will this do for now?

Peter
0
BillyLiddel (193)
10/15/2007 10:34:01 PM
On Oct 15, 6:34 pm, Billy Liddel
<BillyLid...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Jeff
>
> You need someone to write a macro for you, if I could program Sudoku then
> maybe I could do this. In the mean time here is something to help you.
>
> I had my table of jobs and employees on one sheet.
>
> Table 1
> Names   Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4
> Jon             T               T
> Joe     T       T               T
> Ali                     T       T
> Jean            T       T     =20
> Fred    T       T               T
> Alice   T                     =20
>
> Table 2
> Names   In
> Jon     A
> Joe   =20
> Ali   =20
> Jean    A
> Fred   =20
> Alice =20
>
> TAble 3 on sheet2
>
> Schedule1       Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4    Tasks Avail
> Alice   1       0       0       0       1
> Ali     0       0       1       1       2
> Joe     1       1       0       1       3
> Fred    1       1       0       1       3
> Jon     0       0       0       0     =20
> Jean    0       0       0       0     =20
> Total1  3       2       1       3     =20
>
> the formula in B1 Job1 (Alice)
> =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$8=3D$A2),(Sheet1!B$3:B$8=3D"T")*(Sheet1!$=
B$12:$B$=AD17<>"A"))

> copy this across and down
>
> formula in F1
> =3DIF(SUM(B2:E2)=3D0,"",SUM(B2:E2))
> and copy down
>
> I then sorted the list on column F and used this to produce a schedule be=
low.

> I started the schedule in A11 and used the formula =3DA1 for the names wh=
ich
> helps when sorting.
>
> Will this do for now?
>
> Peter

Hi Peter,

This kind of works. However, the format of the schedule I'd like to
end up with is different. Here's what I have:

Table 1 - Training Matrix (Employees in Col A and Job Names in row 3)
A "Y" means that can work that job.

          Job 1   Job 2   Job 3   Job 4  Job 5
Phil       Y        Y                    Y       Y
Bill        Y                    Y        Y       Y
Joe                  Y         Y        Y        Y
Dan       Y        Y         Y        Y        Y
Tim        Y       Y          Y                  Y

Table 2 - Attendance - An "A" means they are absent & cannot be
scheduled

Phil
Bill
Joe  A
Dan
Tim

Table 3 - Schedule

                 7am-9am  9am-11am  11am-1pm  1pm-3pm
Phil                Job 1        Job 2          Job 4        Job 5
Bill                 Job 3        Job 4          Job 5        Job 1
Joe
Dan                Job 2        Job 3          Job 1        Job 4
Tim                 Job 5        Job 1          Job 3       Job 2

Thanks for your help.

Jeff

0
jmacvicar (2)
10/16/2007 12:11:19 PM
Billy,

Can I get the macro for the sudoku solver? I have one puzzle unable to get
and I think the solver would come in handy. Thanks.

"Billy Liddel" wrote:

> Jeff
>
> You need someone to write a macro for you, if I could program Sudoku then
> maybe I could do this. In the mean time here is something to help you.
>
> I had my table of jobs and employees on one sheet.
>
> Table 1
> Names	Job1	Job2	Job3	Job4
> Jon		T		T
> Joe	T	T		T
> Ali			T	T
> Jean		T	T
> Fred	T	T		T
> Alice	T
>
> Table 2
> Names	In
> Jon	A
> Joe
> Ali
> Jean	A
> Fred
> Alice
>
> TAble 3 on sheet2
>
> Schedule1	Job1	Job2	Job3	Job4	Tasks Avail
> Alice	1	0	0	0	1
> Ali	0	0	1	1	2
> Joe	1	1	0	1	3
> Fred	1	1	0	1	3
> Jon	0	0	0	0
> Jean	0	0	0	0
> Total1	3	2	1	3
>
> the formula in B1 Job1 (Alice)
> =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$8=$A2),(Sheet1!B$3:B$8="T")*(Sheet1!$B$12:$B$17<>"A"))
>
> copy this across and down
>
> formula in F1
> =IF(SUM(B2:E2)=0,"",SUM(B2:E2))
> and copy down
>
> I then sorted the list on column F and used this to produce a schedule below.
>
> I started the schedule in A11 and used the formula =A1 for the names which
> helps when sorting.
>
> Will this do for now?
>
> Peter
0
jaxstraww (6)
10/25/2007 5:01:02 PM
I have a macro for sudoku solver, but it uses a recursive guess-and-
check strategy, not actually "solving" it.

If you want it, let me know.

Billy - how does yours work?

On Oct 25, 1:01 pm, jaxstraww <jaxstr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Billy,
>
> Can I get the macro for the sudoku solver? I have one puzzle unable to get
> and I think the solver would come in handy. Thanks.
>

> "Billy Liddel" wrote:
> > Jeff
>
> > You need someone to write a macro for you, if I could program Sudoku th=
en
> > maybe I could do this. In the mean time here is something to help you.
>
> > I had my table of jobs and employees on one sheet.
>
> > Table 1
> > Names      Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4
> > Jon                T               T
> > Joe        T       T               T
> > Ali                        T       T
> > Jean               T       T     =20
> > Fred       T       T               T
> > Alice      T                     =20
>
> > Table 2
> > Names      In
> > Jon        A
> > Joe       =20
> > Ali       =20
> > Jean       A
> > Fred     =20
> > Alice     =20
>
> > TAble 3 on sheet2
>
> > Schedule1  Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4    Tasks Avail
> > Alice      1       0       0       0       1
> > Ali        0       0       1       1       2
> > Joe        1       1       0       1       3
> > Fred       1       1       0       1       3
> > Jon        0       0       0       0     =20
> > Jean       0       0       0       0     =20
> > Total1     3       2       1       3     =20
>
> > the formula in B1 Job1 (Alice)
> > =3DSUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$8=3D$A2),(Sheet1!B$3:B$8=3D"T")*(Sheet1=
!$B$12:$B$=AD17<>"A"))

> > copy this across and down
>
> > formula in F1
> > =3DIF(SUM(B2:E2)=3D0,"",SUM(B2:E2))
> > and copy down
>
> > I then sorted the list on column F and used this to produce a schedule =
below.

> > I started the schedule in A11 and used the formula =3DA1 for the names =
which
> > helps when sorting.
>
> > Will this do for now?
>
> > Peter- Hide quoted text -

iasafiev (57)
10/25/2007 7:56:48 PM
Sounds like a plan. Still would like a solver though. My addy should be in
the profile. Thanks.

Do I need a puzzle template to put the known numbers in?

"ilia" wrote:

> I have a macro for sudoku solver, but it uses a recursive guess-and-
> check strategy, not actually "solving" it.
>
> If you want it, let me know.
>
> Billy - how does yours work?
>

> On Oct 25, 1:01 pm, jaxstraww <jaxstr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > Billy,
> >
> > Can I get the macro for the sudoku solver? I have one puzzle unable to get
> > and I think the solver would come in handy. Thanks.
> >

> > "Billy Liddel" wrote:
> > > Jeff
> >
> > > You need someone to write a macro for you, if I could program Sudoku then
> > > maybe I could do this. In the mean time here is something to help you.
> >
> > > I had my table of jobs and employees on one sheet.
> >
> > > Table 1
> > > Names      Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4
> > > Jon                T               T
> > > Joe        T       T               T
> > > Ali                        T       T
> > > Jean               T       T
> > > Fred       T       T               T
> > > Alice      T
> >
> > > Table 2
> > > Names      In
> > > Jon        A
> > > Joe
> > > Ali
> > > Jean       A
> > > Fred
> > > Alice
> >
> > > TAble 3 on sheet2
> >
> > > Schedule1  Job1    Job2    Job3    Job4    Tasks Avail
> > > Alice      1       0       0       0       1
> > > Ali        0       0       1       1       2
> > > Joe        1       1       0       1       3
> > > Fred       1       1       0       1       3
> > > Jon        0       0       0       0
> > > Jean       0       0       0       0
> > > Total1     3       2       1       3
> >
> > > the formula in B1 Job1 (Alice)
> > > =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet1!$A$3:$A$8=$A2),(Sheet1!B$3:B$8="T")*(Sheet1!$B$12:$B$-17<>"A"))
> >
> > > copy this across and down
> >
> > > formula in F1
> > > =IF(SUM(B2:E2)=0,"",SUM(B2:E2))
> > > and copy down
> >
> > > I then sorted the list on column F and used this to produce a schedule below.
> >
> > > I started the schedule in A11 and used the formula =A1 for the names which
> > > helps when sorting.
> >
> > > Will this do for now?
> >
> > > Peter- Hide quoted text -

jaxstraww (6)
10/26/2007 1:15:00 AM
I can't find it.  Why don't you e-mail me and I'll write back.

"jaxstraww" wrote:

> Sounds like a plan. Still would like a solver though. My addy should be in
> the profile. Thanks.
>
> Do I need a puzzle template to put the known numbers in?
>
> "ilia" wrote:
>
> > I have a macro for sudoku solver, but it uses a recursive guess-and-
> > check strategy, not actually "solving" it.
> >
> > If you want it, let me know.
> >
> > Billy - how does yours work?
> >

> > On Oct 25, 1:01 pm, jaxstraww <jaxstr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Billy,
> > >
> > > Can I get the macro for the sudoku solver? I have one puzzle unable to get
> > > and I think the solver would come in handy. Thanks.

Ilia (2)

Can't get the proper display of a field in my report.
I have 2 tables, both using autonumbers for their primary key. The first table is for contacts (i.e. last name, first name, etc.). The second table is for businesses (business name, etc.) I have a field in my contacts table that has a number format so it can be used as a foreign key for the business table. I then set up the relationship between them & enforced referential integrity. When I run a query, I see the name of the business (after setting up a combo box) - no problem. When I run a report based on that query, a number is displayed (not the business name). Suggestions, pleas...

Excel 97 dropdown function box
The dropdown function box on the Formula Bar show formulas but will no longer show "More Functions". How can I get this item back? ...

Excel 2007
In Excel 2003, one could select a cell, highlight a part of the contained text string and then right-clidk and format text. I could get underlining, bold, font, color, etc. For some reason, with Excel 2007, I can do the same, but when I hit the enter button, the formatting disappears. It reappears if I select the cell and press F2. Is there some setting that I have missed? ...

generate report thru pracle to excell
Recently i upgraded to ms office 2003 since then I'm not able to generate reports thru oracle unto excell (online ). But when I log in an administrator in the local system I'm able to generate the report. the same does not happen with domain users ...

Vertical Header in Excel
Is there a way to make a header in excel run down the side of the spreadsheet (vertical header)? You can freeze panes so that certain columns are always visible. Is that what you meant? If yes, then make sure the column(s) that should be visible is showing. Then select the column to the right and window|Freeze Panes (in xl2003 menus) For instance if I wanted column A to be always visible, I would make sure column A is visible to start. Then select column B and window|freeze Panes. On 05/18/2010 09:09, Erika wrote: > Is there a way to make a header in excel run do...

finding the area under the curve in a graph in excel
Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in excel. Have a look at Bernard Liengme's website: http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/ HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Need help having excel calculate the total area under the curve of a graph in >excel. >. > ...

With a Query in Access 2007, How can I Create This Query
I need a query that will list all records in table 1 for which there are no auditor records (Table 3). Somehow, I need to use the relationship between tables 2 and 3 to find what's not in table 1. The following query gives me a list of all records that do have auditor records. I'm at a dead end on this one. Query SELECT PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTAuditingTherapist, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTFirstName, PTOTAuditingTherapist.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.TherapistLastName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTFirstName, PTOTNamesTbl.PTOTLastName, AuditDetailInitialEval.Medicare, AuditDet...

Can't send e-mails from Outlook 2003 after SP1
After installing service pack SP1 for Office 2003, I can't send e-mails anymore. They are stuck in the outbox folder. The error message states that the connection to the server was interrupted. I did not change any settings and checking them confirms that everything is as it should be. Did anyone else experience the same issue and how did you resolve it? Thanks for your help Matthias See if you can manually move those messages from your Outbox and then check all your settings again. "Mattliusa" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:cb7401c48a5...

Pasting Graphs as Pictures in Excel
In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to past Excel graphs as pictures within Excel. I know you can paste special as pictures within PPT, but is it possible to do it within Excel???? Not sure if that can be done, what I do is cop the graph, open mspaint paste, select it again copy and paste back into excel, it does it as an image -- -John Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know what is helpful. "andy.hogan@gmail.com" wrote: > In an attempt to save file size, I would like to use paste special to > past Excel gra...

Can Line Chart Overlaps be Highlighted?
Can the overlap portion(s) of two lines in a chart be shown in a different color, without having to manually draw a shape? I would like to show the areas where Line A is above Line B as red, and the areas where it crosses below in blue - is it possible to do this without manually drawing in shapes? Hi, To some extent it depends how many times the lines cross. If it's just the once then you can use area charts to provide the shading. http://www.andypope.info/ngs/ng21.htm http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=590 This may help if the used one line as a base line...

Displaying a dataset or datatable in Excel
There's something I think ought to be easy, but I can't find a way to do it. Either there's something wrong with the way I'm searching, or there's a reason it can't be done easily. What I want is to create an excel addin that, when the user opens a spreadsheet , it goes out and fetches some data from a database, and displays it in a table. Pretty straightforward. Here's some code: void Application_WorkbookOpen(Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Workbook wb) {//I've also attached this to other events. The "open" event isn't...

Syntax for Re-registration of Excell
Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open error every time we launch a SS without opening the app first. Had a similiar problem with Word and fixed it with Winword /r. Thanks! Hi first you may check: http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Windows 2000, Excel v8. Does anyone know the syntax for > re-registration with Windows? We get a file already open > error every time we launch a SS without opening t...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Data changes when Analyzed with Excel
I have a query with 3 tables that represent master item list, count qty and as qty. When I look at the results in Query, all is well and accurate yet when I select Analyze with Excel, values change. For example, if a record shows zero qty in the as of field and zero quantity in the count field, I get a value in one or both of the fields that origianlly were zero. Other than linking the tables and grouping by master item list (to show all parts regardless of qty's), there are no formulas or expressions in this query. One of the tables is linked to a FoxPro table via ODBC driver. ...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

Powerpoint with Excel formatted information
My team has an excel file with Text and Icons in a status report format. We use it to copy and insert paste into Powerpoint. After copying into Powerpoint, I try to select it and edit but powerpoint gives an error that says: "There isn't enough memory available to read the Excel file" Other team members use this same excel template and powerpoint and they can edit the information after it is copied to powerpoint. And I can use their files and they work fine. Only one team member has this issue so somehow this person's excel file is using a massi...

Excel calculates wrong ????
I have had no luck figuring this out... I have a list of 8 positive and negative numbers that 2 decimal place each. The numbers sum to zero confirmed by a calculator, however exce sums them to (2.55654899E12). I do not know why excel calculates the with a small value left that is denoted by scientific notation. I checked the value of each number to ensure that it did not includ any extra decimals, and I even re-typed them. I have had this happen with several other lists of numbers that are n brainers to calculate, and excel added extra scientific notation to th total. I have no idea why ...

Output to excel ==> replace worksheet
Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it to replace worksheet only.Thank's "shiro" <shiro@myname?.com> wrote in message news:umONlZiRIHA.4584@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Usually out to excel will replace a workbook.Can we make it > to replace worksheet only.Thank's How about, just replacing the contents of a cell, or cells? Dim appXL As Object Dim wkb As Object Dim wks As Object Set appXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application") Set wkb = appXL.Workbooks.Open("C:\MyFolder\MyWorkBook.xls") Set wks = wkb.Worksheets(1) wks.Cell...

Can't sign in to 2004?
Now, another problem. I can no longer sign in with my hotmail and password if "use Money's online features that require a passport" even though I am signed on to MSN with that passport. I tried resetting the hotmail password for both MSN and Money 2004 but still can't get it to work. In microsoft.public.money, MrEKJ wrote: >Now, another problem. I can no longer sign in with my hotmail and password >if "use Money's online features that require a passport" even though I am >signed on to MSN with that passport. I tried resetting the hotmail password &...

how do I open excel workbook If i forget my workbook password
I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, because I did not wanted to earase formulas accidently,but now I can't open it because I forget the password. Thanks for help Hi search Google for 'Excel password remover' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "av8rart" <av8rart@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:D2443918-FEF4-41E6-92C4-9B19A293778A@microsoft.com... > I made programm with a lot of formuals so I've put password on the workbook, >...

How to slant cells in Excel on top of chart at about 45 degrees
Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree angle with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? ckricci Wrote: > Trying to make a chart and slant cells at the top at about a 45 degree > angle > with borders and still be able to type into it. Is this possible? HI ckricci Try Format > Cells > Alignment Tab and set the Orientation to 45 degress -- Paul Sheppard ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2...

Printing in excel always comes out in bold even tho bold not on
When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the bold is not switched on. Any suggestions?? It could be a printer setting. Does it print in bold from other applications? Regards, Fred "Scarlett50" <Scarlett50@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF3BAEA1-4D22-449E-BB8F-31DD8855AF20@microsoft.com... > When I print in excel my work always comes out in bold even though the > bold > is not switched on. Any suggestions?? No only when I have to type a report in excel - the actual report is ok on other computers! but...

excel v4
Does anyone know when Version 4 of Excel was introduced and/or retired http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:042201c39e64$4f4d9ab0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone know when Versi...

help with Excel Chart, Series name
Hello, I am using ORACLE OLE2 package to print a series bar graph in excel. I need to rename "Series Name" that comes out in as a char in excel. By defual the series are names as Series1, Series2, Series3,.....SeriesN. How can I access the handle to "Series Name" which help me change its name. Any help will be highly appreciated. Thanks you, Bilal Bilal, Manally, you do this with Chart - Source data - Series tab. There's a series name box. Select the series to be edited in the drop-down at the left first. It may have a cell reference currently in it, or you can...