Can't hide far right columns:"Shift objects off sheet"??

I've got some constants and such in the far right-most columns, where
my average user wouldn't have any need of going.  Just to add an extra
measure of safety, though, I wanted to either hide the columns or set
the column width to something like 0.1.  Excel won't let me do either
- the error message is "Can't shift objects off the sheet."  But there
are no "objects" - just values in cells.  What am I looking at?  Is
there another way to accomplish this?

Ed

0
prof_ofwhat (194)
3/12/2007 10:30:48 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Which version? Should be no problem in XL2003.
BTW: Far right is not a good solution since it inflates your Used Range. You
might pay a heavy price in terms of file size. Better use "nearer" cells or
a dedicated hidden page.

You can also define your constants without using any cells: Just use Insert
=> Name = Define. Into the box "Names in Workbook" input a name for your
constant (e.g. "rate"), into the box "Refers to" input the value of the
constant (e.g. "=1.3"). Press "OK" and now you can use your named constant
in your worksheet as usual (e.g. "=3*rate").

Cheers

Joerg Mochikun

"Ed" <prof_ofwhat@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got some constants and such in the far right-most columns, where
> my average user wouldn't have any need of going.  Just to add an extra
> measure of safety, though, I wanted to either hide the columns or set
> the column width to something like 0.1.  Excel won't let me do either
> - the error message is "Can't shift objects off the sheet."  But there
> are no "objects" - just values in cells.  What am I looking at?  Is
> there another way to accomplish this?
>
> Ed

0
no3581 (99)
3/14/2007 3:03:58 AM
Maybe...

XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769

Remember to look for comments and merged cells.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Ed

On Mar 14, 7:25 am, Dave Peterson <peter...@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:
> Maybe...
>
> XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columnshttp://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769
>
> Remember to look for comments and merged cells.
>
> Ed wrote:
>
> > I've got some constants and such in the far right-most columns, where
> > my average user wouldn't have any need of going.  Just to add an extra
> > measure of safety, though, I wanted to either hide the columns or set
> > the column width to something like 0.1.  Excel won't let me do either
> > - the error message is "Can't shift objects off the sheet."  But there
> > are no "objects" - just values in cells.  What am I looking at?  Is
> > there another way to accomplish this?
>
> > Ed
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
prof_ofwhat (194)

'Cannot shift objects off sheet"
I am tryingto hide columns of data and I get this message. What is this and how do I fix it? Usually it means you are trying to insert sufficient rows or columns that you would cause data to be pushed off of the worksheet. Examples are You already have data in the last row or last column and try to insert a row or a column. You try to copy an entire worksheet at the end of the data region of another worksheet. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps....

"cannot shift objects off sheet" Excel message
Hi-first off if you write please only use one 't' on net in my email address...(flash.net) I am trying to hide some calculation cells, and all unused rows below the cells, in a spreadsheet, but setting the height to zero....when I select the rows to hide (e.g. 100- 65536) I get the message in the subject box. When I do this in 'chunks', my 100kb file gets turned into a 2 MB file.... I have to hide cells this way since this is a Crystal Ball template... any ideas appreciated Thanks JB in TX On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:13:54 -0700, "JB in Texas" <jbrown6@flash...

Excel Error Message: "Cannot shift objects off sheet"
Can anybody help me with a solution for this error message when trying to close groups colums I've never had the problem myself. Here are a couple of links to peruse. Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/0/81.ASP "Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q211/7/69.ASP HTH Paul -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Be advised to back up your WorkB...

Cannot shift objects off sheet
I am trying to insert a column between C & D and I get the message that I "Cannot shift objects off the sheet". The knowledgebase says this means that I either have hidden cells or comments. As far as I know, I have neither. I certainly did not do either on purpose. If I have any, I don't need them. I have tried unhiding the entire sheet. Still fails. I've copied just the data cells to a new sheet. Still fails. I tried copying those columns to a new workbook. That solved the problem. So, there is something wrong with that workbook. How do I figure out what it is? ...

Cannot hide column "cannot shift objects off sheet"
When I try to hide a column with the regular procedure (select the column, Format, Column, Hide) I get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet" and the column doesn't hide. What does this mean and why is it happening? Thanks, Alan -- achidsey Hi Achidsey, See MSKB article # 211769: 'Cannot shift objects off sheet" error message when you hide columns in Excel' http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769 --- Regards, Norman "achidsey" <chidsey2@hotmail.com(notmorespam)> wrote in message news:23783FC5-52E4-4326-A1...

Excel 2007 "Can not shift objects off sheet"
In prior versions of Excel, I had no problem inserting a row between two other rows in a spreadsheet. However, every time in Excel 2007 that I try to do this same operation that has worked fine in all prior versions of Excel, I am prevented from doing the insert with a message "Can not shift objects off sheet". The sheet is nowhere near full, so that inserting a new row between two other rows will lose no information whatsoever. So Excel 2007 is not "smart" enough to realize what prior versions of Excel could see. How do I insert a row between two other rows without ...

Error: Can't Shift Objects off Sheet
Hello: I have created about 13 outline groups in columns. When I try to hide the details on all of them, two of them hiccup and I get the "Can't shift objects off sheet" for these two. I have cleared all the outlines and reentered them and am still getting the error. Any ideas? maybe this'll help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Bettergains wrote: > > Hello: > I have created about 13 outline groups in columns. When I try to hide the > details on all of t...

"Cannot shift objects off sheet"
Hi, I have quite a big file (several linked worksheets and charts). I have used group function earlier and grouping has worked fine. Now when I try to open or close group, I get message "Cannot shift objects off sheet". Usually nothing happens, but sometimes it works. I have ungrouped and regrouped. I have saved file as other file. No help. I can't start from scratch. Pls advise. I usually get that message when there is data in the last row/column and I try to insert a row/column. Perhaps verify where your data actually ends and reset the used range. http://context...

Get Msg "Cannot shift objects off sheet" when hidng columns" Why?
I have a large worksheet where I'm using most of the columns. There are 7 objects on the sheet, all buttons used for macros. They are in the top left hand corner of the sheet. When I try to hide columns, narrow the width of columns, or delete columns I now get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet" when hidng columns". I do not understand why this is happening. maybe this'll help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Steve Ball wrote: > > I have a large wo...

Excel 2003 - VBA - Error
Hi Guys: I have a spread sheet where I insert about 42 columns and shift right. This worked for a while, then I started getting an Error "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" . I did find a button that had been shifted so I deleted it. Not change, still got the error. I then selected all cells and deleted. Still no change. Does anyone have any idea of what is happening here? Craig Maybe... XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged cells. Craig Brandt w...

cannot shift objects off sheet, but also cannot find objects
Trying to hide columns gives error "cannot shift objects off sheet." Try as I might, I cannot find any objects in or near the offending columns; indeed, there are no objects on the entire sheet. I went to Tools>Options>View>Objects and selected "Show All," but still nothing appears. An easier way to see if there are any objects on a sheet is through F5-Special. Cell comments are objects too. Do you have any of them? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "danielo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0cff01c47b0d$f5a72620$a601280...

Cannot shift objects off sheets
I have a column with multiple cells (over a hundred) that have comments attached to them. I want to hide the column to the left of this column. When I select this column and try to hide it, I get an error: "Cannot shift objects off sheets." I am not sure how to resolve this Try these articles http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q170/0/81.ASP XL97: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns or http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q211/7/69.ASP XL2000: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns -- HTH ...

Error Message: "Cannot shift objects off sheet."
My spreadsheet (form) uses 187 columns for data entry. I am attempting to "hide" select columns in the spreadsheet and am able to do so up to a point. However, after hiding approximately 30 columns, I am receiving the error message, "Cannot shift objects off sheet." What does this error message mean? I've requested assistance from two Excel experts here at work and they are not able to identify the issue. Thanks! Hi, Maybe this KB is of relevance. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q170081/ Cheers Andy AndrewS wrote: > My spreadsheet (form) uses 187 columns f...

"Can not shift objects off sheet" when I try to hide columns
Can someone help me to hide columns? I keep on have the message: Can not shift objects off sheet. to hide one column select the column header then select format from menu select column then hide to hide more than one column select the columns you want to hide (highlight then) then select format from menu select column then hide "Mimi Zhou" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02D3A2A5-10DB-4CA6-873F-21DB6570F0DB@microsoft.com... > Can someone help me to hide columns? I keep on have the message: Can not shift objects off sheet. Have a look at ...

Can't hide far right columns:"Shift objects off sheet"??
I've got some constants and such in the far right-most columns, where my average user wouldn't have any need of going. Just to add an extra measure of safety, though, I wanted to either hide the columns or set the column width to something like 0.1. Excel won't let me do either - the error message is "Can't shift objects off the sheet." But there are no "objects" - just values in cells. What am I looking at? Is there another way to accomplish this? Ed Which version? Should be no problem in XL2003. BTW: Far right is not a good solution since it inflat...

Cannot shift objects off sheet
Hi ! When Im using the group-ungroup function in Excel i get the following error message: "Cannot shift objects off sheet" Does anyone have a solution for this? Best Regards Sune Read this KB Magnus http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;211769 XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2000-2003) www.rondebruin.nl "Magnus" <sune@tyt.se> wrote in message news:O$SrjSs2DHA.716@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi ! > > When Im using the group-ungroup function in Excel i ...

Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet #2
All of a sudden I can't insert a new column anywhere within my workbook. If I click on the column letter and then right click>insert>I get the error message in the title. Did I change a setting somehow? Maybe... XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 Remember to look for comments and merged cells. And for objects that may not be displayed: xl2003: tools|options|view tab|Check Show All xl2007: Office button|excel options|advanced Display options for this workbook|For objects|Show|check a...

"Cannot shift objects off sheet"
I am new to Excel 2007. When I try to add rows/columns I get the message "Cannot shift objects off sheet". How do I fix this? http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cannot+shift+objects+off+sheet http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2009/03/16/cannot-shift-objects-off-sheet-in-excel-2007/ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/211769 "Vickie" <Vickie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:54A28B3A-CE1C-4130-AA70-D0FFF300A319@microsoft.com... >I am new to Excel 2007. When I try to add rows/columns I get the message > "Cannot shift objects off sheet&quo...

hiding columns, error message says cannot shift objects off sheet
Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet'. WHat does this mean and how do I work around it? Thanks! hi, excel thinks that there is data in column IV. excel by default cannot shift data off the sheet ie beyound column IV or below row 65536. solution. highlight all the column to the right of your data and hit the delete key. that should fix it. >-----Original Message----- >Hiding columns on a spreadsheet ( which we do frequently). Error message >says: 'cannot shift objects off spreadsheet&...

Help
I have a spreadsheet that used to work fine. But now when I try to reduce the size of a column (or hide it) I get a message "cannot shift objects off sheet". There are no objects that I am aware of and it happens on every column, even ones that I have changed the width in the past. Can anyone help? Go to Search For (above everyone's questions), and key in "cannot shift objects". There are a lot of people with the same question, and you should be able to find a solution. HTH, Carole O "sedelson@no" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet that used to work fine....

I tried all the suggestions already posted but still get the error 'cannot shift objects off sheet', when I tried to hide one of my columns. Anyone know any workarounds? Including this one? http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=170081 XL97: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "AAA" <AAA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EEFC08C3-AC4C-4917-BFB7-A58BF4C38AEE@microsoft.com... > I tried all the suggestions already posted but still get the error 'canno...