Can't find the link

I have a workbook that opens with the message that asks me if I want
to update the links.  Well, there aren't any links that I can find.
When I say "Yes" to the question, I get an open file dialog with the
name pre-filled in with a temporary file name: $WPM7C81 which, of
course, can't be found.  If I change the name to a pre-existing sheet
that has the normal Sheet1, Sheet2 and Sheet3 in it, excel finds the
file (of course, since I used the name of a file that actually exists)
and then opens the workbook that supposedly has this link in it and
all seems to work fine.

I've looked everywhere I can to find a broken link so I can eradicate
it.  Nothing.

Any clues as to where to look?

I've of course looked for hidden sheets.  I've even looked for the
existence of very hidden sheets.  There aren't any.  I've looked in
all the names that are defined.  Not there.  And, of course, I've
looked on all the non-hidden sheets.  Nothing.

I'm going nuts trying to eliminate that message!

Thanks

0
dranon (82)
9/25/2009 10:02:58 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

--

Dave Peterson
0

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 17:29:06 -0500, Dave Peterson
<petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote:

>I'd use Bill Manville's FindLink program:
>http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm
>
>dranon wrote:
>>
>> I have a workbook that opens with the message that asks me if I want
>> to update the links.  Well, there aren't any links that I can find.
>> When I say "Yes" to the question, I get an open file dialog with the
>> name pre-filled in with a temporary file name: $WPM7C81 which, of
>> course, can't be found.  If I change the name to a pre-existing sheet
>> that has the normal Sheet1, Sheet2 and Sheet3 in it, excel finds the
>> file (of course, since I used the name of a file that actually exists)
>> and then opens the workbook that supposedly has this link in it and
>> all seems to work fine.
>>
>> I've looked everywhere I can to find a broken link so I can eradicate
>> it.  Nothing.
>>
>> Any clues as to where to look?
>>
>> I've of course looked for hidden sheets.  I've even looked for the
>> existence of very hidden sheets.  There aren't any.  I've looked in
>> all the names that are defined.  Not there.  And, of course, I've
>> looked on all the non-hidden sheets.  Nothing.
>>
>> I'm going nuts trying to eliminate that message!
>>
>> Thanks

0
dranon (82)

the Personalize Workplace link, has disappeared.
the Personalize Workplace link, Under Workplace, has disappeared. any ideas why, and how can i return it? I don't believe it's a permissions issue, since it happened to users with the system administrator's role, as well... Thanks in advance. Amit, So that I understand, you are referncing the personalize workplace link on the left hand side of work place. This picture might help: http://availabletech.net/docs/ng/PersonalizeWorkplaceLink.JPG I can tell you that there are no KBs about this. You may want to try rerunning the CRM install to correct and error that might have oc...

find deleted document from msword 2003
HELP!!!! I DELETED A LETTER IN WORD AND I WANT TO RETRIEVE IT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE IT WENT AND HOW CAN I GET IT BACK. Look in the Recycle Bin. If you have deleted it from there, you are probably out of luck. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP (Message posted via NNTP) "KRITCHSEED" <KRITCHSEED@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D04D316-B874-4E1E-A86E-2B34CF53168E@microsoft.com... > HELP!!!! I DELETED A LETTER IN WORD AND I WANT TO RETRIEVE IT. DOES ANYONE > KNOW WHERE IT WENT AND HOW CAN I GET IT BACK. ...

PDF Writer link gone
I've converted Pub 2000 documents with Acrobat PDF Writer hundreds of times. Suddenly I get a "MSPUB caused PDFWritr.drv error" and after a few attempts, I get now a "MSPub caused a Kernel32.dll error" What gives? Help! Thanks, Cathy Re-install Adobe Acrobat and that should fix your problem. I hope you realise how buggy and what sub-standard garbage PDFWriter is. Please note, that comment is only about PDFWriter not the rest of Adobe Acrobat. -- After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Cathy <ptpcathy@twcny.rr.com>... ...

Can dll find path where it's running from
hi, I made a mfc-using dll, can I have it programatically find itself so it knows where on the hard drive it is being run from? This is In order to find itself to load its manifest because I want to have it programatically load its own manifest instead of using resource id 2. Or even better... In the documentation of the CreateActCtx function, http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375125(VS.85).aspx there is a reference to ACTCTX_FLAG_MANIFESTSTREAM_REQUEST flag, and the ManifestStream member of ACTCTX however neither exist in my Visual Studio. Do these really exist? "alexl&quo...

Linking Child/Master on Report
I have a query that my main report is based upon and then I have inserted a graph which runs off of a query. However, I want the graph to change based upon the LastName field but it won't allow me to do that. I keep getting the following dialog box when I try to link child to master: "Can't build a link between unbound forms." Even if I put in "LastName" for the child and Master links, the report then comes out blank. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong or am missing in my report? ...

CAN'T FIND EXEL!!!!!
I have XP on my laptop. I can,t finf exel anywhere. Tried through a search and nothing. Please,please help -- Dog Mad When you say you have "XP" on your laptop, I assume you are talking about Windows XP. Excel isn't included with Windows. You must purchase it separately. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Dog Mad" <DogMad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5474728F-C3EF-42D9-BFEE-BCA870D0C72D@microsoft.com... >I have XP on my laptop. I can,t finf exel anywhere. Tried >...

#REF displayed instead of linked data
I have a spreadsheet linked to data in another spreadsheet. In some cases the linked data does not show up. Instead of the correct data being displayed, #REF, or sometimes #NA is displayed. Other links to similar data in the same spreadsheet work fine. If I open the linked spreadsheet then all data links work fine... but only if the linked spreadsheet is opened. There are no formulas or calculations being performed. I'm just displaying data from a cell in another spreadsheet. I'm using Excel 2002 in Windows XP. Anybody with some any ideas? Thanks "Richard" wro...

can not find graphic convert for Publisher 2000
- some of these convereters maybe missing. If so where do I find new grahic converters Although reinstalled Publisher 2000 will not draw up photos. States that need Graphic Converter. No sign of them on MS site. Have cleared PC of all old publisher but still no luck in using it again. It still states can not convert picture Martyn Long Hi Martyn Long (Martyn Long@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || - some of these convereters maybe missing. If so where do I find || new grahic converters Although reinstalled Publisher 2000 will not || draw up photos. States ...

Where can I find a forum to help with writing sql reports?
I've been asked to write a lot of SQL reports lately and I need to find a place like this that I can ask question on how to get header to repeat on different pages and how to put one text box on top another etc. etc. Can someone point me to somewhere I can ask these questions? I have a MSDN subscription so I'd like a MS site where they are obligated to give me help. Thanks. On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:43:11 -0400, cj2 <cj2@nospam.nospam> wrote: >I've been asked to write a lot of SQL reports lately and I need to find >a place like this that I can ask quest...

Find team name with highest winning % over multiple years (worksheets)
I am sorting team win/loss data with each year having its own worksheet. On a separate worksheet I list the top 5 highest winning % by using LARGE('2009:2004'!E2:E14). I would like to put the team name and worksheet name in the column adjacent to this. The winning % column is four columns to the right of the team name column. I tried using OFFSET(LARGE('2009:2004'!E2:E14),0,-4), but excel is complaining that the formula I'm entering contains an error. VLookup doesn't appear to work because it will only search on the first column (which is the team name column). I ...

Converting dates to current dates to find out the evaluation date
Hi, I am trying to take the date of hire for a list of employees. For emample, I need the hire date of 3/3/1990 to populate the 6 mos eval due this year and the yearly due this year. I was able to figure out the dates by adding the values of 182 and 365, but the year stays the same. Perhaps using the DateSerial function will give you the desired results. DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([HireDate]),Day([HireDate])) as Annual AND DateSerial(Year(Date()),Month([HireDate])+6,Day([HireDate])) as 6Month Those should return 3/3/2010 and 9/3/2010 John Spencer Access MVP 2002-2...

running check links on payables
Hi I'm using Great Plains 7.5 sp6. The bank management module is installed. I'm trying to runcheck links on payables transaction files, and get the following message when I insert any purchasing files (including the POP tables) Please post all applied CBM/EBM payments before running checklinks. All bank management and payables are posted. Can someone please explain what I need to do to be able to run check links? NB I can run check links on any other module's tables. Thanks Graham ...

Cell Linking to Chart Headings
I need to work out how to link part of a chart heading within excel to a cell from another tab within the same excel spreadsheet. The purpose of this is to be able to change one cell in another tab and have it link through to the headings of various charts in other tabs. Can anyone help? You can link a chart title, axis title, data label, or textbox in a chart to a cell. Select the text element in the chart, press the equals key, then select the cell with the mouse. The cell reference appears after the equals sign in the formula bar: =Sheet1!$A$1 The text element in the chart will ...

Calendar appointment search/find
In Outlook 2007, in calendar I do a "Search All Calendar Items" for a particular item that I clearly see in front of me. But the search comes up empty. The search status for index had 0 - - and now has 6,700+ but still it didn't find the item. Questions: 1.) Why must I go to "system" to do indexing? Why doesn't Outlook do it on a regular basis? 2.) Why can I not find things in the search? 3.) In general, why does one have to index? I thought indexing was used to speed up searches. But in my case, it can't find anything. Has the search...

Providing a link to files on a netword
I would like to create a link from Accounts to certain folders in our shared network drive. I thought there might be a way to do this by creating a new URL attribute, attaching it to the Accounts entity and then simply typing in the path to the file. For example J:\accountfile However when you click on it a web browser page opens and it obviously cannot find anything. I cant think of any other way to do this, I would appricate it if anyone knew a way to get around this? I wrote an article on an easy way to show Windows Explorer directories and files in an iframe on a CRM account r...

Trouble linking Windows Mail & AOL
I am trying to send a msg on Craig's List... when I reply to a vendor, I receive a prompt to utilize Windows Mail automatically. When I tried to set up an account on Windows Mail using an AOL address thru IMAP, I got the error below. I have "My server reqrs authentication" checked in properties and I am using "587" as my outgoing smtp port and "143" as incoming imap port. I can see my AOL folders on the Windows Mail box and I can send and receive w/ aol, but when I try to send via WM, the msg sits in the Outbox. Error msg: "XAOL-UAS-M...

where I can find my signatures?
where I can find my signatures file on my computer?in which folder? I searched my computer but I couldnt find it.... wonderwhy <gpl666666@hotmail.com> wrote: > where I can find my signatures file on my computer?in which folder? > I searched my computer but I couldnt find it.... %AppData%\Microsoft\Signatures -- Brian Tillman ...

Link trouble
Hi everyone I have a chart in excel that I want to link into a word document so that when the chart is updated the word document will update without having to repaste. I copied the chart and in word went to Paste Special - Paste Link ok The chart copies into the word doc and when I right click shows the update link option. When I click this though the chart does not update at all - what am I missing please? -- Thanks as always NOte: is anyone else having a problem with not being notified of updates here? Lise Instead of using Paste Special, just use Paste. (the be...

Update external links prompt upon opening
I see that Excel 2002 & later allow you to change the startup settings for updating external links so that you will not be asked and the links will not be updated automatically. Is there a way to do this in Excel 2000? You could use another workbook that contains a macro to open your real workbook. You can specify what you to do in that macro. Option Explicit Sub auto_open() Workbooks.Open Filename:="c:\my documents\excel\book2.xls", UpdateLinks:=0 ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False End Sub Nate wrote: > > I see that Excel 2002 & later allow you to cha...

Safe to delete mailboxes linked to Ex5.5 Service Account?
Hello, I'm going thru the steps to decommission our only (=first & last) Exchange 5.5 server. I've moved all the public folders and the user's mailboxes to an Exchange 2000 server. I'm left with two mailboxes using the Ex5.5 Service Account as "Primary Windows NT Account" : 1 - Administrator (hidden, contains 1 message); 2 - Exchange_Services (not hidden, used in Exchange 5.5 to receive NDRs etc, contains a few messages). Is it safe to delete those mailboxes (not the Windows account)? Can I just ignore them and proceed with decommissioning the server? Thanks i...

Insert a link to external email message
I want to insert a link to an email message in an excel file. I know I can save my Outlook message to a .msg file and then link to that. Is it also possible to somehow just point to that message if outlook is open? I'd like to do away with the step of saving the file somewhere. Thanks ...

Finding records between two dates
I have a table of data, and I have created a UserForm for me to enter a start and finish date. These dates should then be used as criteria for finding records between those two dates (and including them: >=startdate and <=enddate). I've tried using Data/Filter/Autofiler and the custom option to specify the "greater/less than or equal to" options, but I have to pick the startdate from the list of dates shown. I've tried creating a criteria range, but can't find how to specify after the startdate AND before the enddate - using more than one row creates an ...

Clicking Links in OL2K+3
In OL2K if you clicked a hyperlink in Email #1 you got a browser window. If you clicked a link in Email#2, then it opened the site in the original browser window. Just upgraded to OL2K+3 and noticed that each email link will open a new browser window. Where is the controls for these settings. I am sure it's easy, just overlooking the obvious. TIA. Because of complaints about reusing windows, Outlook 2003 opens the pages in new browser windows. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickS...

Limitation of Find and Replace Text in Excel
Location: Posts: 1 Limitation of Find and Replace Text in Excel I am trying to reformat some data in Excel to make some downloade information more easily readable. The information to be manipulated i a. In the download the different items of History are joined togethe with a | delimiter to produce a long wrap around string. I have an Excel macro which finds the | delimiter in the string an converts this to a line break (i.e. vbLF or Alt+Enter). The expecte result is that wherever | occurs, subsequent text is pushed to a ne line. I have found that the macro worked perfectly if the length of...

A great tip to find folders quickly using Favourite Folders in Excel
Hi everyone. I came across this great little feature in Windows 7 to add folders and locations to the =93Favourites=94 in the Excel open/create dialog. With this neat little shortcut, you can add any folder you use often, and save you having to continually hunt around for it. I've blogged it here for you http://voato.com/office/find-folders-quickly-using-favourite-folders-in-win= dows-7/ ...