Can't edit SQL question in MS Excel/Query

Hello,
I'm running Win2k SP3, Excel 2000 SP-1 and have created SQL questions
that fetch data from an Oracle 8i DB via ODBC.
Sometimes (or actually quite often) I can't edit the SQL questions in
MS Query. The MS Query icon just flashes in the taskbar and disappears.
Any wiz got any idea what can be done about it?

Regards

Hans

0
hanblo (1)
4/19/2004 12:10:13 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hans

I'm not sure about the MS Query icon you are talking about in the taskbar but the way I can get to MS Query using Excel 2000 and connectiong to Oracle database is choosing 'Data' followed by 'Get External Data', and then choosing 'Run saved query' or 'New database query' from the top menu selection in Excel.  You can then choose either the 'Queries' tab or the 'Databases' tab in the 'Choose Data Source' box. In this box you have the option to use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries by checking or unchecking the checkbox. From here you can either edit a saved MS Query or create a new one and bring the data to Excel after connecting to Oracle using the ODBC driver

Mand

     ----- Hans Blom wrote: ----

     Hello
     I'm running Win2k SP3, Excel 2000 SP-1 and have created SQL questions
     that fetch data from an Oracle 8i DB via ODBC
     Sometimes (or actually quite often) I can't edit the SQL questions i
     MS Query. The MS Query icon just flashes in the taskbar and disappears
     Any wiz got any idea what can be done about it

     Regard

     Han

0
anonymous (74722)
4/20/2004 9:01:02 PM
Hello,
my problem is, I create a query exactly the way you describe, but after
I saved the query, I can never be certain that I can edit it at a later
time. It might work 4 times out of 10 or so. The other times as I said,
the MS Query icon just flashes in the taskbar and disappears and I'm
back staring dumbly at my EXCEL worksheet.

Hans

Mandy wrote:

> Hans,
>
> I'm not sure about the MS Query icon you are talking about in the taskbar but the way I can get to MS Query using Excel 2000 and connectiong to Oracle database is choosing 'Data' followed by 'Get External Data', and then choosing 'Run saved query' or 'New database query' from the top menu selection in Excel.  You can then choose either the 'Queries' tab or the 'Databases' tab in the 'Choose Data Source' box. In this box you have the option to use the Query Wizard to create/edit queries by checking or unchecking the checkbox. From here you can either edit a saved MS Query or create a new one and bring the data to Excel after connecting to Oracle using the ODBC driver.
>
> Mandy
>
>      ----- Hans Blom wrote: -----
>
>      Hello,
>      I'm running Win2k SP3, Excel 2000 SP-1 and have created SQL questions
>      that fetch data from an Oracle 8i DB via ODBC.
>      Sometimes (or actually quite often) I can't edit the SQL questions in
>      MS Query. The MS Query icon just flashes in the taskbar and disappears.
>      Any wiz got any idea what can be done about it?
>
>      Regards
>
>      Hans

0
hans.blom (1)

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Question -Problem

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Reporting from Project Server

Document Template question
It's legal for a document to have multiple views into it's data, but when CMultiDocTemplate is created, it is only passed one runtime view class. How are multiple views handled in the document template context? Should all views of your document be derived from the class passed to CMultiDocTemplate? This is confusing me because MDI AppWizard did the work of setting up a document view class for me, but now I'm just using a child window with an imbedded static splitter window to show two different views of my document, and these views have nothing to do with CMyProjectView that...

Pivot Table Question #5

get a result of an sql into a field

learning Excel #3

question on os authenticity
I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher. There was no COA attached to the body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he owns the license to it, not me. Is this correct? -- julesrh77 Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to www.microsoft.com. -- Charles Allen, MVP "julesrh77" wrote: > ...

nested OR in queries
I have a table that has 20 date fields for each record. I need to select any record that has a matching date in at least one of those fields so it becomes a huge OR in a query and I have noticed that I am limited to 9 in a query. Is there a way to do this efficiently or will I need multiple queries to test all 20 date fields? If your table uses multiple date fields, the first thing you'll want to consider is coming up with a new table! In a spreadsheet, adding 20 date fields may be the only way to handle a situation, but you won't get the best use of Access' features and funct...

MS POS = RMS? Also, SQL Connectivity...

SQL 2005 Great Plains 9 issue
I will try to keep this succinct. I am running Great Plains 9 with SQL 2005 on separate servers. Recently I brought up a new SQL server(called sql02) to replace the old SQL server(called sql01). After installing SQL 2005 on the new server and restoring all the databases I renamed the new server(sql02) to the name of the old Server(sql01). Great Plains worked happily after that. On the new SQL server now called SQL01 there are two database engines in SQL Studio, one is called SQL02 and the other is called SQL01. I would rather not have SQL02 there, but I'm not sure how to delet...

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook

Excel VBA