Can't add a 0 (zero) to the beginning of a number in a cell

I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.

Scott

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

You can format the cell to be text and it will then allow a 0 to be
added to the front of a number however this may cause problems if you
are using that number in inequalities.

Scottrow wrote:
> I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
> After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

Scott,

The first answer is correct however it may be alot easier if you add an
apostrophe ' before the number.  It won't show it is excel's way of
letting you start cells with a 0.

On Nov 22, 9:36 am, "Scottrow" <mistersalsaREM...@comcast.net> wrote:
> I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
> After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

0
PMC527 (2)
11/22/2006 2:48:13 PM
another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to 15

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Scottrow" <mistersalsaREMOVE@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am trying to put a serial number in a cell but it starts with a zero.
>After I type in 09867453 and move to the next cell the 0 disappears.
>
> Scott

0
dguillett1 (2487)
11/22/2006 3:03:30 PM
"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote

> another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to
> 15

That's the one I like because it data is still a number and can be
manipulated as such.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

0
gezgin (65)
11/22/2006 5:05:24 PM
glad to help

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Opinicus" <gezgin@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote
>
>> another way is to format>cutom format>00000000000 as many as you like to
>> 15
>
> That's the one I like because it data is still a number and can be
> manipulated as such.
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

0
dguillett1 (2487)

add cell
i have a long list all in one column. the data in the first fifteen ( thrue 15) is related and must be kept in sequence. the first fiftee cells repeats with changes in its data for the next fifteen (16 thru 30) and also must be kept in sequence. this repeats over and over for list of about 4000 cells. what i need to do is this: i need to insert an empt cell betwwn each group of fifteen cells.-to seperate them. between 15 & 16, 30 & 31 etc without disturbing the continuity of each 15 cel grouping.. thankyou so much -- ROL ---------------------------------------------------...

How to add a new domain to Exchange 2003?
Hey everyone, We are running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003. Our email domain is "mycompany.com". We would like to tell Exchange also except email for domain "newdomain.com". How do I add that at the Exchange level? I now about DNS, MX records and all of that. We don't need all of that, we are just running a test. Thanks for any and all help. Clayton Recipient Policy http://support.microsoft.com/?id=268838 -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT www.zenprise.com blog: www.suneja.com/blog ----------------------------------------- "Clayton Sutton" <n...

Importing Numbers
I imported a bunch of records that include an item number that begins with "0". Both the Excel spreadsheet cell and the Access table are marked as NUMBER. Nevertheless, when the item are imported the leading "0" was deleted. Why? How do I overcome that as I have to have the "0". -- KM Am 02.06.2010 16:44, schrieb Kevin M: > I imported a bunch of records that include an item number that begins with > "0". Both the Excel spreadsheet cell and the Access table are marked as > NUMBER. Nevertheless, when the item are imported the leadi...

xy scatter line goes below zero
The line drawn in my xy scatter chart goes below zero of the y-axis, is there any way I can stop this? My first 3 points are all zero and then there is a very steep increase, the line that connects them assumes that there is a dip into negative values before the increase when this is not actually the case. Hi, Have you got the Smooth line option ticked? Cheers Andy jon7 wrote: > The line drawn in my xy scatter chart goes below zero of the y-axis, is there > any way I can stop this? My first 3 points are all zero and then there is a > very steep increase, the line that connect...

Cell extraction from Multiple worksheets
Hi group, I am new to this newsgroup and am hoping that you can help me out. I took a software/hardware inventory of all the computers in my work's network and imported them all into excel, in their own worksheet. So I have one file, with 128 different worksheets, all containing similar information. What I would like to do is create a new sheet, a summary page, where I can pull the value of the same cell from each sheet and list them. I need to have a list of each computer, with computer name, cpu speed, video card, serial number, ect. If the values that I am searching for are in the same...

Find cell numbers in a table so I can multiply
Hello, I have a word document and in the documents header there is a table. This table a has diferent number of cells in each row like: Row one: 2 cells Row two: 4 cells Row three: 2 cells Row four: 10 cells Row five: 2 cells What I wanted to do is multipy 3 cells together thats in row four and show the total in the same row. I have a number in the 3rd cell that needs * by the number in the fith cell that needs * by the number in the seventh cell and totaled in the 9th cell. I know I have to select the ninth cell and select table/formula then what? -- Thanks, Chad I ...

add-in
When logging onto Outlook the following message show up: "The add-in 'C:\pavfn\exch\PavExCli.dll' could not be installed or loaded. THis problem may be resolved by using detect&repair on the Help menu. Unable to load c:\pavfn\exch\\pavExCli.dll. You may be out of memory, out of system resources, or missing a .dll file." I have done all of the things mentioned and am certainly not out of memory or system resources. I have asked this question before many months ago and had to cancel something. Just do not have the message that was sent to me. I have deleted ...

How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", bet
How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", between. Is it a formala I can use? HI Try this =A1&" "&""""&B1&" "&""""&C1, adjust range to your needs HTH John "JOF" <JOF@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BD2A42E-BCB9-4504-8454-727E366E25DD@microsoft.com... > How to combine text from 3 cells into 1 cell with space and ", between. Is > it > a formala I can use? ...

how do automatically change entire row color when cell changes
Hi, is it possible to change the color of the row cell1 is in when cell1 changes to a specified text? See Help under Conditional Formatting -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in email address "IOE" <IOE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:91738C3F-3BEB-4EAE-8551-99E60D8E8A21@microsoft.com... > Hi, > is it possible to change the color of the row cell1 is in when cell1 > changes > to a specified text? Hi - select the row (e.g. row 1) - goto 'Format - Conditional Format' - enter the following formula =$A1="T...

Socket relared problem (getting free port number dynamically) #2
Hi all, i have one problem related to thread. i am having my main thread running which will on some event create a thread for validation purpose and then will start working. and now this validator thread will create a socket and it will bind to port 20111. and then will wait for client to connect. but before waiting for client to connect it will send a message to the main thread that validation is done. but in this way i need to stick with port 20111.which i really don't want. Is it possible for me to get a free port from operating system or from winsock library and then i should bind t...

Locate a Cell based upon criteria
I'm trying to locate a cell based upon certain criteria. For example: =CELL("row",min(C6:C11)). What doesn't seem to work is using the Min function. Any thoughts on the best way to return a cell location? Many thanks for any help you can provide! Try... =CELL("row",INDEX(C6:C11,MATCH(MIN(C6:C11),C6:C11,0))) Hope this helps! In article <C598DBDD-0D25-48E3-AA44-6B6250176D67@microsoft.com>, "Stan" <Stan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm trying to locate a cell based upon certain criteria. For example: > =CELL("ro...

Add a number based on list of criteria ??
Example: Cell A = 50, Cell B = 96%, Cell C = Cell A + (Cell A x Cell B) = 98 I want to be able to compare the list of criteria and add a number to Cell C accordingly For example: If Cell B is between 95 and 100%, Add 1 to the total in Cell C If between 85 and 94%, add 2... etc. There are more than 7 so I know I can't simply nest If statements... Any advice on how I could fairly simply accomplish this? TIA! One way: Put your % bands in a table (say in J1:Kx, e.g.: J K 1 0 11 2 5% 10 3 15% 9 .... 10 85% 2 11 ...

numbers not correct
When I try to add numbers to a cell, they are converted to a date. How can I correct this? I have the "general" numbers tab selected. (Excel 2007) Think you could either precede the entry with an apostrophe ('), or pre-format the data entry col as text. -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Chicken Dogs" wrote: > When I try to add numbers to a cell, they are converted to a date. How can I > correct this? I have the "general" numbers tab selected. (Excel 2007) ...

USB RNDIS image is not downloading in wince 5.0
Hi, Thanks for all ur great support. Now I got bootme message from my device and my device is detected in PB (target->connectivity options->Ethernet settings). But when i give Target->AttachDevice, the image is not downloading, at that time bootme is transferred to host. i set ip address both side by manually. ping and ipconfig is working perfectly in PC side. Any idea. Regards - D. your device IP address and your PC IP address must be in same subnet. Means if your device IP address is 192.168.0.<some unique value > then your PC IP is also 192.168.0. <...

Count with Hidden cells
Is there a way to count the number of text filled cells excluding the cells that I have hidden? Depends on the version of excel, excel 2003 works like =SUBTOTAL(103,A1:A10) won't count hidden cells -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Stretch" <Stretch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F387E47-FC1F-4AEB-8A6C-2B37BC012DD1@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to count the number of text filled cells excluding the > cells > that I have hidden? What does the 103 stand for? "Peo Sjoblom" wrote: > Depends on the v...

Identifying Cell Colours
On the spreadsheet, random cells are highlighted with a particular colour. Is there any way to perform an 'IF' type statement to extract the value for cells of a given colour? What will you do with them once you "extract" them? If you want to sum them, take a look here: http://cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm In article <2090e01c459fc$6cd3d870$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Gary Gould" <gould.g@gll.co.uk> wrote: > On the spreadsheet, random cells are highlighted with a > particular colour. > Is there any way to perform an 'IF' type stat...

Old MS Mail 3.0 support
I am trying to find a way to support the old Microsoft mail postoffice. I have several cusotmers on small local LAn's using this with Outlook 97. If I convert/upgrade them to Office XP it continues to support the MS Mail Postoffice. However, a New install does not have this support. Anyone know how to get Office XP/2003 to support the old Microsoft Mail Postoffice? http://www.poremsky.com/msmail_xp.htm --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted witho...

AUTO NUMBERING #2
hi all,i have made an invoice template for my work.how can i get these invoices to sequentially number each time i use the invoice and save as iun the customers name?any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. thanks wyn. -- WYN Hi one way (using the Windows registry for storing the last number). Put the following code in the workbook module (not in a standard module) of your template: - It changes cell A1 of the first sheet - you may change the key identifiert according to your needs (e.g. DEFAULTSTART, MYLOCATION, etc.) Private Sub Workbook_Open() Const DEFAULTSTART As Int...

How can I add a caption for each data point in a bar graph?
When you place the mouse over a data point a pop up box appears with the series name and value. How can I add additional information to that box using excel...if its possible? See the Hover Chart Labels add-in on Tushar Mehta's web site: http://tushar-mehta.com - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ Lexy wrote: > When you place the mouse over a data point a pop up box appears with the > series name and value. How can I add additional information to that box using > exce...

Can some cells remain unprotected in a protected spreadsheet ?
I know that Lotus allows for spreadsheet protection, allowing the user to unprotect specific cells, thus protecting against overwriting a formula while entering variables into the spreadsheet. An example may be an amortization schedule, containing formula to be protected, while allowing the term, rate, and amount fields to be accessed? Can anyone help or do I have to use Lotus !!! Yes, check out help for sheet protection. I think its pretty well explained HTH Regards, Howard "Detenbeck3890" <Detenbeck3890@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9794120B-1BE3-...

how do i number gift certificates?
I read the help topics on this subject and it helped a little. Mine is still only printing the number 1 on each ticket. I have made one ticket and set the page setup to 4 per page. What else could be happening to make this not work? Do you have one ticket on your screen? Are you printing the tickets or only viewing print preview? Print preview will show all tickets the same, this is a bug. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Lhobbs06" <Lhobbs06@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0CAAC7C...

How can i link arrows with cell?
I had tables.. And in that some cells were pointed by arrows. (One value derived by content of other cell, TO give it a legibility arrow beteen these two cell is used). Now when we copy paste that cells in word.. and change size of area.. Arrow sizes are not scalled down or up. Please let me know how can we do this? TIA Sandip You could copy to Word as picture. Hold down SHIFT, select range and use Edit | Copy as Picture proceed form there best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Sandip" <Sandip@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

How to make comments move with cells when cutting pasting, or inserting rows
I have to insert / delete rows or move cells often. When I do this, my "comments" boxes don't move with the cells (they end up all over the place), and they often grow tremendously. Is there some way to make the comment boxes autosize and follow the cells??? Thanks! Debra Dalgleish has some code that does lots of things to comments: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html Including resizing them: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#Resize (and repositioning them to their original spot (just scroll up on that last link).) "anonymous@discussions.micr...

make a cell empty based on condition
I am trying to make a cell value be null with the following:=IF($C$2>=A18,A18,"") My goal is to make C18 be empty if this is false. I don't want it to be blank; I want it to be as if I never typed a value in the cell at all. When I try the above, C18 is blank when the above evaluates to false, but I am creating a chart and the chart recognizes the cell as having a value. It plots the data point. I've already gone to Tools/Options/Chart and set it to not plot empty cells. The problem is that it still shows the x-axis value though with no data. If I delete the c...

Insert contents of a cell into a title of a chart
Is there a way??? On 2/20/05 5:14 PM, in article BE3E75D8.5B9%gregstenzel@comcast.net, "greg stenzel" <gregstenzel@comcast.net> wrote: > Is there a way??? > Also...I use a Mac and office 2004 If the chart already has a title: Click on the chart to select it Select the chart title Type an equal sign -- you'll see it appear in the formula bar (you don't need to click in the formula bar before typing) Click on the cell that contains the text for the chart, e.g. C6 Press the Enter key. If the chart doesn't have a title: Click on t...