Can i use Windows Search to find a number within Excel?

If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in
Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found.  But, it does
not appear to me that numbers can be found.  Of course the number as Excel
stores it may differ from how it is displayed.  But, does anybody know if
this is possible?

For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears
in Excel (as formatted).  I tried typing the number both with and without
the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find the
Excel file that contains that number.

So, any knowledge of how this could be done, if it is possible, would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
tom

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

>>i have a cell with the number 3,709,227

As I understand it, Excel stores such numbers in 'IEEE 64 bit' format, not
as literal text.  So it is probably not possible to find them with Windows
Search.

--
Jim
"TomCon" <someone@verizon.net> wrote in message
| If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find
in
| Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found.  But, it does
| not appear to me that numbers can be found.  Of course the number as Excel
| stores it may differ from how it is displayed.  But, does anybody know if
| this is possible?
|
| For instance, i have a cell with the number 3,709,227 in it, as it appears
| in Excel (as formatted).  I tried typing the number both with and without
| the commas, into WIndows search, but Windows search still does not find
the
| Excel file that contains that number.
|
| So, any knowledge of how this could be done, if it is possible, would be
| appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
| tom

0
jrrech (1932)
10/3/2007 1:23:45 PM
On 3 Oct, 07:43, "TomCon" <some...@verizon.net> wrote:
> If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in
> Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found.  But, it does
> not appear to me that numbers can be found.  Of course the number as Excel
> stores it may differ from how it is displayed.  But, does anybody know if
> this is possible?

As Jim says, this is probably not going to work with Excel 2003 or
earlier, but as far as I know in the new XML format for each worksheet
it stores formulae as well as the value last calculated in a normal
decimal representation (along with any errors due to inability to
convert exactly from a stored binary value). So you might be able to
search for Excel 2007 files by their content, assuming the search
function can get inside the compressed file container to the XML
itself.

0
adam.vero (6)
10/3/2007 4:53:14 PM
In the settings dialog, you can select the file types and how they are
indexed.  One of the options for Excel files is to index file content.

I would put an Excel file with a known value into a folder, and after
it has provably been indexed, see if the known value shows up on
search.

On Oct 3, 12:53 pm, adam.v...@gmail.com wrote:
> On 3 Oct, 07:43, "TomCon" <some...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > If i use Widnows search of the CONTENTS of files (not file names), i find in
> > Excel, that for cells that contain text, they can be found.  But, it does
> > not appear to me that numbers can be found.  Of course the number as Excel
> > stores it may differ from how it is displayed.  But, does anybody know if
> > this is possible?
>
> As Jim says, this is probably not going to work with Excel 2003 or
> earlier, but as far as I know in the new XML format for each worksheet
> it stores formulae as well as the value last calculated in a normal
> decimal representation (along with any errors due to inability to
> convert exactly from a stored binary value). So you might be able to
> search for Excel 2007 files by their content, assuming the search
> function can get inside the compressed file container to the XML
> itself.

0
iasafiev (57)

formula within IF function
How do I use a formula within the IF function? What I want to do is check if a number is less than or equal to an amount, calculate one thing, if it is not, calculate another. I tried this: IF(B21<=150,"=B21*E32","150*E32) But I only get text returned. Please help!! Thanks -- Shirley Try... =IF(B21<=150,B21*E32,150*E32) Hope this helps! In article <FB9680A4-1BB7-46AD-BF6D-0088535AE979@microsoft.com>, "Shirley" <Shirley@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > How do I use a formula within the IF function? What I want to do is check if >...

find action on log file

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

how to find an item in a list control?

learning Excel #3

random number generator
Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a random order for those? Use the RAND() function. If 1-10 are in A1:A10, enter =RAND() in cell B1 and copy it down through B10. Recalc (F9), then sort by column B. Hope this helps, Hutch "pat67" wrote: > Hey is there a way to generate random numbers like you would for a > draft. In other words, i have numbers 1 through 10 and generate a > random order for those? > . > You would have to generate 10 random numbers ...

using the journal on outlook

Including and Executing JS and CSS from an ASPX within a Master Pa
I am running into all kinds of difficulties LINKing/Inserting JavaScript and CSS on an ASPX that is inside a MasterPage. I'm not sure what the rules or even what the life-cycle is. Here are the actual issues: 1. Do I have to use code and "RegisterStartupScript()" and all that? Is there no way to do the insertion of these in the actual HTML mark-up of the ASPX page? 2. If I am including jQuery from the MasterPage and *then* want to include a ..JS file from one of the child ASPX pages, I'm running into trouble where it would seem that jQuery has not been insta...

Excel VBA

HOWTO: Customizing CRM