Can I change the Comment Box arrow connection point?

Is there any way to change the point on a Comment Box where the tail
end of the arrow it attached?

Until today, all of the arrows in my workbook had been attached to the
upper left-hand corner of the Comment Boxes. Today, I noticed that one
of them is attached to the upper right-hand corner. I have no idea how
that happened, but it seems to indicate that the attachment point can
be moved.

Can the arrow be attached to the center of the Comment Box so that
when it is moved around, the tail always comes from the closest point?
0
SquarePeg (160)
9/23/2008 2:08:27 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Comments have a habit of moving around.

To reset all to default position run the macro you will find at Debra
Dalgeish's site.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlcomments03.html#Reset

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 07:08:27 -0700, Square Peg <SquarePeg@Round.Hole> wrote:

>Is there any way to change the point on a Comment Box where the tail
>end of the arrow it attached?
>
>Until today, all of the arrows in my workbook had been attached to the
>upper left-hand corner of the Comment Boxes. Today, I noticed that one
>of them is attached to the upper right-hand corner. I have no idea how
>that happened, but it seems to indicate that the attachment point can
>be moved.
>
>Can the arrow be attached to the center of the Comment Box so that
>when it is moved around, the tail always comes from the closest point?

0
Gord
9/23/2008 3:00:37 PM
If I understand your question right, Excel does attach the tail of the arrow
to the comment box's closest corner to the cell. For instance, if you move
the comment box on the top left of the cell it is attached to, the tail will
be linked to the bottom right hand corner of the comment box.

Does this answer your question?
Markus

"Square Peg" wrote:

> Is there any way to change the point on a Comment Box where the tail
> end of the arrow it attached?
>
> Until today, all of the arrows in my workbook had been attached to the
> upper left-hand corner of the Comment Boxes. Today, I noticed that one
> of them is attached to the upper right-hand corner. I have no idea how
> that happened, but it seems to indicate that the attachment point can
> be moved.
>
> Can the arrow be attached to the center of the Comment Box so that
> when it is moved around, the tail always comes from the closest point?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:05:17 -0700, Markus Fischer
<MarkusFischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>If I understand your question right, Excel does attach the tail of the arrow
>to the comment box's closest corner to the cell. For instance, if you move
>the comment box on the top left of the cell it is attached to, the tail will
>be linked to the bottom right hand corner of the comment box.

So it does -- more or less. I didn't notice this because Excel's
definition of "closest" is different than mine.

1. Click on D4.

2. Click on Insert Comment. A comment box will appear with arrow tail
attached to the upper lefthand corner, which will be in E3.

3. Click on the comment box border.

4. Use the down arrow key to nudge it down two rows until the upper
lefthand corner is in E5.

5. Use the left arrow key to nudge it left until the left border of
the comment box crosses into column D. The arrow tail will jump to
attach itself to the upper righthand corner of the comment box. Not
the "closest" corner in my opinion.

6. Grab the right border of the comment box and drag it 8-10 columns
to the right so that the comment box is very wide, but the left border
is still just in Column D. The arrow tail will stretch all the way
across the sheet to attach to the upper righthand corner.

7. Use the right arrow key to nudge it one pixel to the right. The
arrow tial will jump back to the upper lefthand corner.

I guess my question still stands. Is there any way to get Excel to
attach the arrow tail to the center of the comment box (and go behind)
so that it attaches to the point on the border that would lead to the
center? This is how Visio works.
0
SquarePeg (160)

drop down arrows only show up when in the field
Is there any way to format a drop down list on a form so that the drop down arrow appears all the time, and not just when you tab or click into that field? I'm trying to give my users an idea of which fields are drop down versus free text. Thanks for your help. No, not if you're using a protected form and dropdown formfields. If you change the template to display a userform (http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm) and just insert the resulting values into the document, the dropdowns in the userform do always show the arrow by default (althoug...

Log changes to full access permission
Exchange 2007 SP1. Is there a log, or is it possible to log, whenever anyone is granted full access to a mailbox or mailboxes? Thank you. Adrian What do you mean by "anyone"? Please make your request more specific. -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Adrian" <NoSpam@Hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23eQ58rEaKHA.1640@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Exchange 2007 SP1. > > Is there a log, or is it possible to log, whenever anyone is granted full > access to a ma...

How to change the return of a textbox from TRUE/FALSE to YES/NO?
I have a long colum full of textboxes in excel. When the boc is checked it returns true, and false for unchecked. I would like to change this so that it returns Yes for checked and No for unchecked. How can I make this happen You mean Checkboxes? You can use a helper cell: =if(a1=true,"Yes","No") Then hide that linkedcell (if you want). Gldenboy2 wrote: > > I have a long colum full of textboxes in excel. When the boc is checked it > returns true, and false for unchecked. I would like to change this so that > it returns Yes for checked and No for un...

Multiple Sections of a Circle Shape/text box to follow circle patt
Help! 2 part question, and I've been to Help, Google, and MVP blogs for hours and can't find an answer. As a Visio 11 Standard (2003?) user newbie, I'm having trouble resizing and aligning the 'partial' shapes of a circle, when attempting to make a circle with more than 4 sections. (Partial circles work well when you have four distinct sections, as the rotate/flip function is adequate.) My frustration is mounting, as I'm dealing with these sections as part of an 'onion' template of concentric circles, and I've now got sections for each circle all...

How to change The height of the Split Window in a frame?
Hi: Every one, I make a 2-rows , 1 col CSplitterWnd i n a frame, Now i want to hide one of them, Or change the height of the window to 0, How to do,? Thanks Hi Jerry, Check SetRowInfo() and RecalcLayout() Normand "Jerry" <tghu@163.net> a �crit dans le message de news: eCW9GVIoEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi: > Every one, > I make a 2-rows , 1 col CSplitterWnd i n a frame, > Now i want to hide one of them, > Or change the height of the window to 0, > How to do,? > Thanks > > > ...

Excel asking for save with no changes #5
Dave Peterson Wrote: > And xl2002 added an option that allows you to have more control: > Edit|links|startup prompt button. > check the "don't display the alert and update links" This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for! Unfortunately, I' running an older version of Excel. I'll have to hit up my IT perso for an update. Thanks! -Tomm -- tommy2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- tommy20's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=281 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/sh...

Windows Mail can't see incoming message
I thought I posted about this about a week ago, but I can't see my message anymore. I am on Vista Home Premium with Windows Mail. There was a particular incoming message, which I could see in my ISP's webmail and I could see on my local machine in MailWasher, but which was completely ignored by Windows Mail - it just didn't see it. That's still happening, but now there are three incoming messages behaving in this way. All are from the same site (user@site) but not all from the same user, and I have no problem with still other users at that site. What shou...

HOW CAN i DEVELOP A FORMULA THAT RESTRICY SYMBOLS CHARACTERS TO B
I am trying to developt a formula that restrict symbol characters to be entred as data, help me! This will limit data entry to alphanumeric characters: =SUMPRODUCT((MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("$1:$"&LEN(A1))),1)>="A")*(MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("$1:$"&LEN(A1))),1)<="Z")+ISNUMBER(-MID(A1,ROW(INDIRECT("$1:$"&LEN(A1))),1)))=LEN(A1) Are there any other characters which you may wish to enter? Steve D. "Rodrjua" <Rodrjua@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:61E5CBBC-B00E-4BCF-B46D-8A9B5D247836@micr...

How Change default "look in" location in EXCEL for Importing Exte.
I am importing data contained in a text file. When I get to Import Data, the "Look In" folder location always defaults to "My Data Sources". How do I change that to the folder where my data is? (files are on my computer). thanks ...

Track Changes Query
Hi I wonder if someone could help me please with a problem that's been baffling for a few weeks now. I am trying to create a query, which in turn feeds a report, that shows tracked changes. I have previously posted on this forum and got some great advice that's really helped me along but I'm really struggling with the query to extract the data. I am relatively new to Access in particular VBA but I am willing to learn. What I would like to do is to use a date parameter to extract those fields with an updated time stamp within a given time period, which in turn I can sho...

How can I change background color of DateTimePicker?
I know that subj is possible because of Borland C++ Builder allow to change background color of DateTimePicker just assigning a color to Color property of TDateTimePicker component. When I try to make this subj using MFC I've got nothing. Can anybody help me? My code : m_date.Create(WS_CHILD | WS_VISIBLE | DTS_SHORTDATEFORMAT, CRect(36, 0, 116, topHeight), this, 1006); m_date.SetFormat("dd.MM.yyyy"); m_date.Invalidate(TRUE); CDC *dc=m_date.GetDC(); assert(dc->SelectObject(&greenBrush)); ReleaseDC(dc); With best regards, Sergiy Yakovyn. "Sergiy ...

Change size of name box
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3D233.5A184190 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it possible to change the size of the name box ? And how do you do it = ? Some of my range's names are to long to fit in the actual name box. Thanks in Advance, and may all of you have a healthy 2004 Gilbert ------=_NextPart_000_003C_01C3D233.5A184190 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HT...

Can't shut down outlook
When I shut down my computer after having used my outlook program I have been getting an "end program" notice for outlook.exe giving me a few seconds to click "end now" before I can shut down. I have closed outlook and all other programs before I shut down. I ran outlook "detect and repair" but to no avail. Windows seems to think that outlook is still running when I shut down. What should I do? ...

why i can't see Send button in my outlook for applying a job in cr
why i can't see Send button in my outlook for applying a job in craiglist "ruchie" <ruchie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:56CA25CA-151E-4488-81A2-28805B4E5F80@microsoft.com... > why i can't see Send button in my outlook for applying a job in craiglist Did you set up an email account in Outlook? ...

changed time and date and messed up appointments
Hi I recently went to UK from Australia, then to italy, I must have changed the time zones, and now my appointments are all over the place, Is there a way of getting them back to original times and dates. for the future is there a better way of handling time zones. i also use a pocket pc where i probably changed zones as well. thanks tim See the following MSKB article for a workaround: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=197480 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the mes...

Change to foreign currency in POS 1.0 SP 1a
I am new to MS Dynamics POS and would appreciate assistance in changing the default currency from US$ to Nigeria currency. Simply, I would like the $ symbol change to N. Thanking you for your assistance. Thank you folks. I found the answer in Junaid Idrees'response to Tim Simth's post on 7/24/06. "Sokan33" wrote: > I am new to MS Dynamics POS and would appreciate assistance in changing the > default currency from US$ to Nigeria currency. Simply, I would like the $ > symbol change to N. > > Thanking you for your assistance. ...

Cell comments
I have already created the code using VBA to pull the data from the M Access table. Is there a way to set it up so that when you pass ove the cell it will automatically run my routine -- LA ----------------------------------------------------------------------- LAF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26920 Hi not possible AFAIK as there's no event which got triggered by just moving over a comment field -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany LAF wrote: > I have alr...

How can I just count the records where the check boxes are "No"
I have a audit form and when something is not completed then it is not checked. I need to have a total at the end of each item to count how many records are out of compliance. Please HELP need by this afternoon Julie Gilliam <Julie Gilliam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a audit form and when something is not completed then it is not >checked. I need to have a total at the end of each item to count how many >records are out of compliance. Use a text box with an expression like any of: =Count(IIf([check field], Null, 0)) or =Sum(IIf([check field...

How can you tell "To" address used for spam?
I have a few exchange email addresses on my account. Spam level is to the point that I want to delete the affected account. How can I tell which address is being used? Nick You mean you have multiple addresses for the same mailbox? The easiest way to pin-point the address would be the create multiple mailboxes for these addresses. Emails will get sorted for you automatically. -- Alexander Zammit WinDeveloper Software IMF Tune - Unleash the Full Intelligent Message Filter Power http://www.windeveloper.com/imftune/ "Nick" <nickmirro@spamarrest.com> wrote in message...

Re: How can I search for a ? in Publisher?
I just sent my suggestion to the shredder. <G> -- Don - Vancouver, USA "May your shadow be found in happy places." - Native North American "Don Schmidt" <Don Engineer@PNB.Retired_1987> wrote in message news:... >I see you problem; don't know if your search can be done in Publisher but >here's a way of finding the "?s" in your file. > > Save the file as a PDF and do the search in your PDF viewer program. This > works for me using PDF-XChange to create the file and PDF-XChange Viewer > to do the searching....

Dynamic range does not appear in name box
I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the define name box. The name works fine in my formulas, but does not appear in the drop-down name box on the formula bar. Is there a way to get this name to appear there? Thanks. Dave Nope. But you could use Jan Karel Pieterse's (with Charles Williams and Matthew Henson) Name Manager: You can find it at: NameManager.Zip from http://www.oaltd.co.uk/mvp DaveNadler wrote: > > I have defined a dynamic range using the offset and counta functions in the > define name box. The name works fine in my ...

who can I protect with password the Interchange entry
Hi, I'm trying to protect the Interchange entry with a password, in GP8 I used the general password but, I did update to GP9 and this protection was eliminated and all the user can change or entry a new interchange rate. Who can protect this?. Armando Sanchez This was removed in GP 9.0 because it was accidently added to the window in 8.0 (it wasn't previously). You can use regular GP security to keep everyone you want out of the window. The only other solutions I can think of are: 1. Dexterity customization - pretty easy 2. VBA coding but not as secure but would work. 3. I thi...

Sometimes can see all text in a cell, sometimes not.
Hello On Sheet1, I can see all text in cells that have lots of text in them, but have cells to the right that are empty. On Sheet 2, I pasted the following formula into cell A1, and copied this into all of the cells on Sheet2: =IF(Sheet1!A1=0,"",Sheet1!A1) Now I can't see all of the text in a cell, even if the cell to the right of it is empty. Is there anything that can be done? I am copying these cells and pasting them into Word as a picture. Thanks! Its because if you type text into a cell it will spill over into empty cells so it can be read. If you then enter in a...

Can't open XP file in Windows
We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. The error message is "You cannot open a file from a different version". I would appreciate any assistance on this issue. Hi gwen (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the Microsoft� newsgroups you posted: || We have XP machines and Windows machines. A Publisher file || was created in XP and I am unable to open it in Windows. || The error message is "You cannot open a file from a || different version". I would appreciate any assistance on || this issu...

Can I purchase just Outlook 2007 without the entire office?
I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there anywhere I can download Outlook instead of getting it mailed to me? I have tried Microsoft but they only offer full suite downloads. Thanks Joey Joey wrote: > I want only Outlook 2007, so that I can synch with my Motorola Q. > Will this product work alone? I have the trial version and it seems > to work, but it's the trial of the entire office suite. Is there > anywhere I ...