Can a form update a database?

I need to create a conference call agenda/meeting minutes template. On it
I'd like to use check boxes to note who of the invitees showed up. I'd like
to be able to get a listing of all the people (who may or may not be invited
to all meetings) and the dates they attended. Can a form in Excel populate a
database or could the form populate another Excel file?  I'm real stupid
about how to do things like this - does anybody have advice or maybe even a
simple example?

Thanks!

0
nowhere (47)
12/10/2003 5:38:46 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'd put the checkboxes in column A (say A1:A20) and link each checkbox to the
cell underneath the checkbox.  (And format the cell as ";;;" without the
quotes--so it looks pretty.)

Put the names in B1:B20
and put the date of the meeting in C1

Then after you've checked all the boxes, you could run a macro:

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

    Dim myCell As Range
    Dim myRng As Range
    Dim LogWks As Worksheet
    Dim oRow As Long
    Dim MeetingDate As Range

    Set LogWks = Worksheets("sheet2")
    With LogWks
        oRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
    End With

    With Worksheets("sheet1")
        Set MeetingDate = .Range("c1")
        Set myRng = .Range("a1:a20")
        For Each myCell In myRng.Cells
            If myCell = True Then
                With LogWks.Cells(oRow, 1)
                    .Value = myCell.Offset(0, 1).Value
                    With .Offset(0, 1)
                        .Value = MeetingDate.Value
                        .NumberFormat = "mm/dd/yyyy"
                    End With
                    oRow = oRow + 1
                End With
            End If
        Next myCell
    End With

End Sub

If you like the idea, but don't like the code:

Apply data|filter|autofilter to your linkedcell range.  Filter on True and then
just copy|paste the names where you like them.

I used the checkboxes from the forms toolbar.  When I wanted to reset them to
unchecked, I just selected that range and hit edit|clear|Contents.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

While not quite addressing your specific requirements in terms of the
meeting schedule, ExcelLink is a product that allows Excel users directly
update database tables from within Excel. Its useful for data takeon, data
cleansing or global changes (e.g. applying product price uplifts) where the
alternative is custom code or working through an application interface.

It supports both relational database and non-relational data sources and
avoids the requirement to re-key data.

Drop me a line if you are interested in exploring the possibilities further.

Rgds,
Declan

"Sherry" <nowhere@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I need to create a conference call agenda/meeting minutes template. On it
> I'd like to use check boxes to note who of the invitees showed up. I'd
like
> to be able to get a listing of all the people (who may or may not be
invited
> to all meetings) and the dates they attended. Can a form in Excel populate
> database or could the form populate another Excel file?  I'm real stupid
> about how to do things like this - does anybody have advice or maybe even
> simple example?
>
> Thanks!

0
dbuckley1 (1)

How can I insert a cell reference in a footer (eg for variable foo #2
Any ideas on how to do this? I'm trying to create a template with the doc reference number in the footer However, I'm trying to avoid users having to edit the footer (because this just wont get done). Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.LeftFooter = .Range("A1").Text End With End Sub This code should go in the ThisWorkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "wngg001" <wngg001@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8A0F9D9E-269F-45CF-A6E3...

I can send but not receive emails in outlook
I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to Outlook Express which was installed with Microsoft Works I can still access my incoming mail from there Do you receive any errors when trying to receive? "TeeJay" <TeeJay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1BA6E6F-2C25-460E-9F4F-8A6EB8C9CA96@microsoft.com... >I have just installed Outlook 2003. I can send emails but cannot receive > them. I have confirmed my internet settings with my ISP. If I return to >...

Data Entry Form 03-20-08
Hi, I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. This time, the form doesn't allow me to enter new data. In fact, all text boxes didn't let me to enter new information. Please help Thanks Chi Several things to check: In form properties: Allow Additions = Yes Allow Edits = Yes If the form's record source is a query, be sure the query is updatable. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Chi" wrote: > Hi, > > I created a form to use for viewing currently records and entering new data. > > This time, the ...

Need help with Excel Form & ComboBox Tutorial
At http://www.excel-vba.com/v-forms-controls.htm I have followed instructions... my code on the form is below but it won't run... I've marked the error... Can anybody give me any help with this? thanks Code is below-------------- Private Sub cmdBtnSubmit_Click() shReport.Range("C4").Value = cbxCity.Value cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub cmdCityCancel_Click() cbxCity.Value = "Select a City" frmCity.Hide End Sub Private Sub UserForm_Activate() shParameterst.Activate '<-----Run Time Error 424 - Object Required...

How do I install when "file ZF561407.CAB can not be found"

Owner draw buttons : 2D look...Can it be 3D?
hi, Priyanka here... i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click on the CButton, it gives a 3D feel as the text shows some offset and the button gives a pressed look. but in the owner draw buttons, there is no such 3D effect i can see. can we make it possible? Thanks Priyanka priya wrote: > hi, > Priyanka here... > i created owner draw buttons in my application. but the feel and look > of these buttons is not the same as the CButtons. i mean when i click > on the CButton, it gives...

Offline database cant be viewed
Outlook CRM Successfully copied all datas to local database for offline browsing. but when trying to browse the offline database, it first shows authentication error and clicking on Try again shows an empty page and no records. For your information, the CRM offline database MSCRM_MSDE.mdf is now more than 450MB but still couldnt browse any records in it. How to rectify the problem? On Feb 25, 11:43 am, TNa <T...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook CRM Successfully copied all datas to local database for offline > browsing. but when trying to browse the offline datab...

Can not create Matrix Item please Help RMS 2.0
RMS 2.0 Can not create Matrix Item please Help When trying to create any new items I receive error message This is the message (-2147217864) Row Cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been change since it was last read. Manger still creates standard items but still receives message with out this number in message -2147217864 ...

SQL update.
Hi NG. I have a: Table_1 Query_1 Query_2 Report_1 Form_1 Module_1 with 1 macro. In my Formula_1 I have a ButtonA to activate Module_1 where I Delete all records in Table_1 and import a txt-file to Table_1. With ButtonB I can activate Report_1. Next to this Button I want count from Query_2. Query_2 (Count records in Table_1 (by using Query_1) and is also for Excel): SELECT Count(Ellos_SE_Alm_Q.Postby) AS SE_Alm FROM Ellos_SE_Alm_Q; I have Query_2 as a SUBform in Form_1. My problem is that I must close/open Form_1 for update and that is annoying. I do hope for a...

expand and Collapse form
I am trying to make a form that will serve as a sort of navigation pane. I want the form to expand and collapse when I click on a subject this will display other forms I am wanting in that catagory. any idea on how to do this? Not sure exactly what you have in mind, but have you thought of hiding and showing the form. That is easy to do. There are some switchboard examples around if you search. One way is to use a form with a listbox down the left side. Clicking on an item in the listbox, opens a form inside the subform on the right side of the main form. Your code just change...

Is there a work-a-round i can use for making a datagrid....
Hey all, I am trying to make a datagrid on a form that the user would input info, and once completed, it would be put in correct area's of the workbook. I cant use a datagrid as job doesn't alw downloads for net so i cant get the update needed to alw me to use datagrids( see post sugj: "Missing Control In Addin") is there a way i can use a text box or some other box or tool to do this? When you say "form", do you mean UserForm or worksheet set up to look like a data input form? If a UserForm, then yes, you can use TextBoxes, but you didn't supp...

Database ADO and simulate a critical section
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to implement a kind of critical section by locking a table in a database. I mean that while I write in the table I don't want another process being able to read it. If what you want to do is to lock the table so as to gain some kind of performance edge or exclusive use then look in the documentation for the DBMS concerned. EG in SQL Server there is the TABLOCK hint. If you want to comminucate a 'lock' across processes on a network to indicate something (EG the xxx table is being changed - don't touch it) then consider using a singl...

Empty copy of database
G'Day All,I have a back-end database that contains both client data tables andsupporting tables with lists (e.g. Languages, Income Ranges etc) forcombos on the Forms. All relationships are defined, including twowith cascading deletes.I would like to take a "clean" copy of the database with client dataremoved and all autonumber key fields reset (to 1 for the first record).How may I achieve this?-- Regards,Pat GarardMelbourne, Australia_______________________ Create a new (blank) database.Import all tables: File | Get ExternalIn the Import dialog, click the More/Options button (...

Change Default When Selecting New Message From Form
Whenever I select New -> Choose Form, it defaults to "Organizational Forms Library" (which is empty). How can I make it default to "User Templates in File System"? Thanks. I've been looking for a way to do that for years, but have never found = one. FYI, there is a newsgroup specifically for Outlook forms issues = "down the hall" at microsoft.public.outlook.program_forms or, via web = interface, at = http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?dg=3Dmicroso= ft.public.outlook.program_forms --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Con...

Opening a new record form but allowing searches
I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up so that it allows for both? On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 17:54:06 -0800, Fallout <Fallout@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I changed the "Data Entry to Yes" to have my forms open for new records, but >it seems to have disabled my ability to move from record to record or allow >for searches. Is there another way that I could have set it up ...

Can anybody tell me what is wrong ...
/* I am trying to practice multidimensional array in a managed class using dynamical allocation. If I tried to compile the following codes, I would get the under mentioned c2440 error message. It is only practice. You may notice that I am not using "private" or constructor here. Can anybody tell me what is wrong and how I can rewrite that line right? Thanks a lot. */ #include "stdafx.h" #include <string.h> #include <string> #using <mscorlib.dll> #include <tchar.h> using namespace System; using namespace std; __gc class Month { public:...

scanner can't read barcodes on paper
My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. I will not barcodes on receipt either. any suggestions will be great. Thanks I had the same problem. I only had this problem with certain barcodes. When I looked at the ones that the scanner wasn't reading, I noticed that they all used lower case letters. As soon as I changed the letters to upper case I was able to scan the labels. "country" wrote: > My barcode scanner can't seem to read barcodes that I printed out. > I will not barcodes on receipt either. > > any suggestions will be g...

Change color on date field in form for re-certification
My main form has two different date fields on it. One date field needs to be re-certified every 6 months, and the other field needs to be re-certified every 12 months. I would like each of those fields to automatically change color depending on how much time as elapsed since that training. For the 6 month field, months 1-5 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow and anything expired should be red. For the 12 month field, months 1-11 should be green, 1 month left should be yellow, and anything expired should be red. Thank you in advance for your help! messingerjc wrote...

Migration: Migrated custom fields can't sync with plan
We migrated a set of enterprise global fields from 2003 to 2007. However, some of the post migration changes to these fields can't be reflected into project professional for all plans. Example, we have a project outline code in 2003 called Portfolio, which is a hierarchical set of values. In 2003, we allowed selection of non-leave node and didn't allow multi-selection. After migration, we changed the settings of the field to allow only leave node and multi-selection. However, these changes are neither picked up by migrated project plans nor newly created project plan....

Can you work this backwards
Previously I used 3 simple formulas (if statements) to calculate a charge, so if E9 =3D=A33000 then the formula for the charge was =3DIF(E9<=3D1000;E9*1.1;"=A3100") then =3DIF(AND(E9>1000;E9 <=3D2000);(E9-1000)*0.9;"=A3200") =3DIF(E9>2000;(E9-2000)*0.5;) Total Cost ... of above 3 items plus E9 (=A33000) Now people are asking to spend a total of =A33000 including the charge, so now Total Cost is to be =A33000 and then I have to work back to find E9. How is the best way to do this please. Bob Hi, Use the "Solver" utility in Excel. Let us suppose ...

Macro to update information if date changes
using Exel 2000.. I want excel to compare dates on two seperate worksheets and if the date on the first is greater than the second to insert rows and than copy cells on the second to different cells also on the second page. ie..main sheet date is 11-05-08 compared to sheet2 date is 11-04-08...insert cells at a21:d21 and shift cells down (on sheet2) then copy cells b13:h13 to a21:b21 The description seems a bit inconsistent, but here is a shot With Worksheets("Main Sheet") If .Range("A1").Value > Worksheets("Second Sheet").Range("A1&q...

Form Not Visible
I have a very simple form with two combo boxes & two text boxes that feed selection criteria to a query & then a command button that opens another form based on the query. This form is in the front end of a database that I have installed on multiple users's PCs, some using 2007 & some using 2003. Some users can open the form just fine while others seem to be unable to open the form. However, when I tried to delete the form, I got a message that Access was unable to delete the form while it was open. So it's opening--its just not visible for some users eve...

Can't view jpg attachments
All of a sudden, I can't open jpg attachments to email in my Outlook 2000. I have reinstalled Outlook, but with no change. If you can solve this problem, I'll dance at your wedding. Harlan HH <hhhague@comcast.net> wrote: > All of a sudden, I can't open jpg attachments to email in my Outlook > 2000. What happens when you try? Use Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder Options menu to reestablish the association between JPEG files and whatever application you want to use to open them. -- Brian Tillman I have just discovered that I can look at attachment in a rou...

System Sound I can't stop!
I have a clicking sound which I can't stop, I have gone through all the System sounds from Control Panel and done the test for every sound and it isn't there. I've even tried turning off all sounds, but it still keeps on clicking! It's driving me nuts! effdee wrote: > I have a clicking sound which I can't stop, I have gone through all the > System sounds from Control Panel and done the test for every sound and > it isn't there. > > I've even tried turning off all sounds, but it still keeps on clicking! > > It's driving me ...

Can you set up a Word document to accept present tense only?
I was told that you could set a document up using Microsoft Word 2007 to only accept present tense. Is this true? If so, how do you do it? Word 2007 has a "Find all word forms" option in the Find and Replace dialog. This, among other things, will let it search for all verb forms (among other things). That might be what the person was talking about. For example, with this option enabled, if I search for "have", it will also match "having". If I search for "is", it will also match are, be, was, and were (for example). But, there's nothin...