calculations do not update unless page is saved

I have an excel 2003 workbook with 32 tabs the first set of tabs are named
according to the date 09-01-09 the last two tabs total all the important info
one is 1st - 15th other is 16th - 30th    on my total pages the first column
is the date 09-01-09 (as Text) and i use the indirect function in my formulas
to refer to the individual tab names..   everything works and calculates but
it doesnt happen On-the-fly like excel usually does i have to actually hit
save for any calculations to update even on the individual tabbed dates
formulas like A1+A2 dont display a result untill saved..  did i go wrong
somewhere or is this just something that happens with INDIRECT??

Thanks for your help

Barry
0
BarryAP (2)
8/13/2009 12:00:01 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It sounds like your file is set for Manual calculation - you can press
F9 to recalculate.

Alternatively, set it to Automatic Calculation by clicking on Tools |
Options | Calculation Tab then Automatic and OK. Save the file so that
it will open in that mode next time.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Aug 13, 1:00=A0am, Barry A&P <Barr...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have an excel 2003 workbook with 32 tabs the first set of tabs are name=
> according to the date 09-01-09 the last two tabs total all the important =
info
> one is 1st - 15th other is 16th - 30th =A0 =A0on my total pages the first=
 column
> is the date 09-01-09 (as Text) and i use the indirect function in my form=
ulas
> to refer to the individual tab names.. =A0 everything works and calculate=
s but
> it doesnt happen On-the-fly like excel usually does i have to actually hi=
> save for any calculations to update even on the individual tabbed dates
> formulas like A1+A2 dont display a result untill saved.. =A0did i go wron=
> somewhere or is this just something that happens with INDIRECT??
>
> Thanks for your help
>
> Barry

0
pashurst (2576)

Cant send urls, pages
Just upgraded from 2002 to 2003. Now I can not send interesting websites to friends, associates, or send links the way I used to. I went in and adjusted several security levels to no avail. It is probably something simple but I am not seeing it ~Thank Michele Katmido <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Just upgraded from 2002 to 2003. Now I can not send interesting > websites to friends, associates, or send links the way I used to. I > went in and adjusted several security levels to no avail. Include the URL in a plain text message and it will get through. Don...

Excel Simple Calculations help
Hi Guys, thanks for looking. Im creating an inventory stock list for m fresh produce company and have a list of products with a column o 'stock on hand'. I also have two other columns, one which takes awa sold Quantities of produce from the total stock on hand, and one tha adds to it. Now the problem is that as i sell the products i want t take away from the stock on hand, i use a simple formula whic subtracts the sold from stock on hand. but i want it doing 'calculato style' so that i can type a number, say i sold 7 of an item, i typed i in the sold cell, press enter and i...

Calculate total amount on continuous form line in sub-form
Hi, I’m on Access in Office 2003. I have a sub-form which has a default view of “Continuous Forms”. This form is comprised of a single line which has the fields: Work Date Hours Miles Other Expense Total The work date, hours, miles, and Other expenses are data entry fields. The Total field is equal to (Hours * HourlyRate) + (Miles * MilageRate) + Other Expenses. The rates are retrieved from the main form. That part is working fine. The Work Date, Hours, Miles, and Other Expenses are bound to fields on my table. The Total field is unbound. The problem ...

extra pages on reports
hello all. I have the same issue with 2 reports that I have created. They both have sub-reports attached to them. The problem is that each report has a blank page in addition to the report. How can I delete the blank page from the report format? Any help would be appreciated. ...

Background color on a tab page with XP theme
I have a dialog with a tab control on it. Tab pages are created from dialog resources. When the tab control displays, the tabs are "white" and the background of the tab pages is the COLOR_BTNFACE color. When I call EnableThemeDialogTexture for the dialog page object, now the background of the dialog appears to be "white" while the tab page has a white gradient getting darker toward the bottom. This leaves an outline around where my dialog resource is being displayed. How do I get the gradient to come out right? Do I need to call DrawThemeBackground on the page?...

Prevent Manual Calculation Mode
Is there a way to prevent the manual calculation mode. It seems 2003 "knows" when to set it. In most cases I find it annoying when results are obviously not what they're supposed to be, and I haven't set the manual mode myself. Hi, This 'feature' of Excel causes it to remember the calculation setting of the first workbook opened in a session so if that workbok was set to calculation manual then it picks up that setting. -- Mike When competing hypotheses are otherwise equal, adopt the hypothesis that introduces the fewest assumptions while still ...

Code Page problem in SetWindowText
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01C7EFB3.937325D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All, I've created a MFC project in MBCS. I need to show some set special = characters ( ASCII code > 128) in a CStatic controls. It shows correctly = in all English locale window. However all those special character = becames "?" in non-English window. How to solve this problem? Here's = part of my source code void MySprcialCharacterDlg::OnUpdate() { TCHAR stringToShow[10]; Ze...

Page Numbering #17
Hi, I'm working on my first newsletter using Publisher 2003. It is going well, but I have a confusing problem with page numbering. The newsletter is four pages long. I took the original page numbers off, and made new text boxes for the title and page #. Page 1 is fine (and not numbered) Page 4 is fine. But page 2 and 3 keep changing back and forth. If I save page 2, page 3 becomes page 2 also. Same if I save page 3 - page 2 changes back to page 3. I've tried everythinig I can think of. Any ideas? Thanks -- LeslieJ You are changing the Master page, by doing so you are ...

Calculated field 02-05-08
I am trying to calculated the number of days between to manually entered dates.Example.... Start date=02/05/08 and due date=02/08/08.... 3 days right? how do i get it to show on my form and entered into my table? Jim, It is bad practice to store calculated fields in your tables. If you need to store is somewhere you typically use a query for this. You'd then use yhis query as the source for your form. Calculation in the query: create a new field called difference like this difference: datediff("d",[firstdatefield],[seconddatefield]) hth -- Maurice Ausum "jim"...

calculations in a query
Hi there I am doing a query with calculations and the 2nd set is not working. The calculations are as follows: 1LoadTime: DateDiff("h",[starttime],[Finishtime]) This is done for 3 ports -- all the same formula and it works. But then I do a formula to sum the 3 ports as follows: TotalTime: ([1LoadTime] + [2LoadTime] + [3LoadTime]) and it doesn't work. There is no error message. It just shows a blank where a number should be. Please let me know how to make it calculate properly -- Thank-you! Ruth TotalTime: Nz([1LoadTime],0) + Nz([2LoadTime],0) + Nz([3LoadTime],0) ...

2 questions on POS 2009. 1. Decimal places 2. Tax Calculation
I am a user of RMS 2.0, and I have 2 questions on POS 2009 1. Decimal places. How many decimal places are you allowed in the price field on the item card ? In RMS 2.0 you are allowed 2, 3 if you change the type to 'gasoline'. I am looking for 5 decimal places 2. Tax calculation. Normally you enter in the price excluding tax, and then RMS calculates the tax for you. Is there an option in POS 2009 where the price can 'include' the taxes? And then when you select the item for sale, POS 2009 would 'back calculate' to break out the taxes ? Thanks i...

Converting from page-layout program to Word
I'm using Microsoft Office Word 2003. I have a document that was formatted for some ancient page-layout program that won't even run under Windows XP, so I'd like to put it all into Word. It's currently in a tag-style format; for example, to italicize some section, it needs surrounding tags, like this: <W0I>Passage to be italicized.<D> The document is huge, so I need to use Replace all to turn all of these into italics in Word. Is there a way to turn such passages, wherever they occur, into italicized text in Word, dropping the tags on either sid...

Print multiple pages per Sheet in Excel 2003
I have a spreadsheet with 12 rows that goes for many columns ( with formulas). Is there a way to print this where three pages are on each piece of paper? How about inserting a new worksheet, then copying and pasting (as values) to that new sheet. Then print that "helper" worksheet. If you have to do this lots, this may be worth the trouble. Insert a new sheet. select a nice range on the original sheet Edit|copy go to the new worksheet shift-edit|Paste picture link Repeat so that you have pictures of the ranges so it prints the way you want. Then print this helper worksheet. Th...

Where does entourage save email?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: imap Hello, I'm new to the forum but have recently experienced some issues with Entourage. My Sent Items were mysteriously deleted yesterday. When I started poking around, and did a search for some email using Spotlight, I found an email message then hit &quot;Get Info&quot; and saw that all my email are located in Users/***/Library/Caches/Entourage/2008/Main Identity/Messages/. I don't know if this is just the way it is, of if I need to do something, but thought I should see if anyon...

Page Break in Access Report
How do I get rid of the last page break in a report? The last page of my report is always followed by a blank page. Hi CC, How many pages is your report? If it is normally only one page, then the last page would be page 2. One possible cause of this symptom is having a report that is too wide. For example, if you are printing Portrait, on 8 1/2" X 11" paper, the following applies: 8.5 <= Left Margin + Report Width + Right Margin If your report is more than one page of data, and the sum of the above three settings is greater than 8.5 inches, then the classic sympto...

Errors exist in the page of http://runonce.msn.com/runonce3.aspx
So i can't save my options. When i open the IE browse, it will always pop up this page. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) as well as your IE version when posting in an IE-specific forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running in the background when you inst...

Trouble with Save as Webpage
I am making a webpage from an XLS file. Somehow the process picks up a text box that I deleted days ago - I cannot find it on the worksheet but it's on the webpage Is there a VBA procedure to do a total cleanup? Many thanks -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email Try this If you want to delete all objects/controls on a worksheet you can do it manual like this: 1. Press F5 2. Click on Special 3. Choose Objects 4. OK 5. Press the Delete button -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Bernard Liengme" <bliengme@stfx.TRUENORTH...

Save chart (that's on a chart sheet) to html file?
In Excel 2007, is it no longer possible to publish a chart that is on object in a worksheet to an html file? In Excel 2003, you had the option to choose a chart as the item to publish. That no longer seems to be available. ...

Excel worksheet saved as web page--trouble printing
I have an worksheet that uses a graphic for a background, which I hav also saved in HTML using the Save as a Web Page option. The web pag looks great--but just like the excel background graphic, th "background" graphic in the webpage won't print out for me. Is there any way to fix this so that the graphic will print when print the web page? Thanks--Ki -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com check the background printing options within the tools, options menu and also the printer properties. hope that helped. >-----Original Message----- >I have an workshee...

Need program to ask me to save changes when closing
Hi My wife has excel 2003 and she at times closes the program and the file she is working on will close without saving the changes. My machine always asks me if I want to save the changes made. I can not find out how to enable this, please help. My auto save is also not working any ideas. Thank you. Some functions are volatile, if you are using a workbook with any volatile function in it regardless if you do anything it will ask you if you want to save the changes or are you saying that if you open up a new workbook, then close it again it will ask you to save it? -- Regards, Peo ...

Formula calculation in a Shared Excel File
I have a Shared excel workbook which has data entered though the month by multiple people, in this file I have a number of formulas producing data about the entries. The issue I am facing is that when any of the users open or save the new entries the file takes quite a while to re-calculate the formulas. I know I can use the Calculation tab in options to manually calculate the fields but this only works at an individual level rather than in the actual workbook and it also will apply to evey excel file we work on. Does anyone know a solution to have a selected range of cells with formua...

How do I print save as files?
Someone sent me an excel spreadsheet. I made some corrections and saved it in the save as option. Now its in OLKD and I can not print it or send it back to the customer with the corrections because it can not open. I am totally new at this.Please can someone help me open it for review and to print and maybe move it? Thanks in Advance.Molly You didn't do a Save As and change the directory. It was a temp directory and may or may not be available. If there's any hope, this is it: http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] ~~~~~ How...

Calculate difference between 2 date and times with average
I have used the formula: Start time End time 6/9/2007 10:35 AM 6/9/2007 3:30 PM 4:55 Formula Description (Result) =Text(b1-a1,"d:h:) But when I use the text function, I cannot calculate an average. Also, if you know a way to calculate the difference and exclude weekends... As for excluding weekends, investigate the NETWORKDAYS formula in Help. But if your workday is not 24 hours long, and you have holidays to contend with in addition to weekends, the problem is fairly complex. Here are the steps: 1. If StartDate and EndDate are on the same date, hours worked = number of hou...

Import data from a web page
I've read the suggestions about this topic and none of them work. The only thing I am able to do is manually copy and paste data from a website to my Excel worksheet. In the past, with the previous version of Excel I had a web query that worked but now I just get an error message that says the query retrieved no data. Following the instructions in the error message window yields no results. Has anyone else had this problem and arrived at a solution? What version of Excel, previous version is not descriptive of what you had what you have now. And it possibly does not matter. In...

If I update my xml schema, how to update associated xml?
If I update my xml schema, for example if I rename one of the elements, how do I modify the xml file based on that schema (that is, short of doing it manually). I open the xml file, right click, click on properties, for targetSchema-> the new update schema is not listed, when I enter "<" in xml doc, the intellisense brings up old schema names of original schema element names. ...