Calculating values for empty cells.

Hello.

I have a very simple problem that I cannot find the answer to. I have data
in two columns, some of the data in one of the columns is missing and I want
to automatically extrapolate what the data should be based on the trend. How
can I get Excel to fill in empty values without overwriting the known
values. Below is a sample of my data.

      4000 1887
      5700 1900
      5500 1910
      7300 1912
      8100 1920
      8800 1926
      10100 1930
      11900 1936
      12200 1938

--
Ryan Taylor
rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com

0
rtaylor (2)
12/22/2003 7:04:56 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Not sure what you mean by "automatically", here, but you can
extrapolate the values using this array-entered formula
(CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER or CMD-RETURN):

Assume data in A1:B13. Select B1:B4 and array-enter

=TREND(B5:B13,A5:A13,A1:A4)

If the series is an exponential growth series, use GROWTH() instead.

In article <##Ol#5LyDHA.2064@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>,
 "Ryan Taylor" <rtaylor@stgeorgeconsulting.com> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I have a very simple problem that I cannot find the answer to. I have data
> in two columns, some of the data in one of the columns is missing and I want
> to automatically extrapolate what the data should be based on the trend. How
> can I get Excel to fill in empty values without overwriting the known
> values. Below is a sample of my data.
>
>      1500
>      1600
>      1700