Bloomberg add-in anomalies

A discovery was reported at work today: a user has the Bloomberg add-in
(http://about.bloomberg.com/software/index.html - the DDE Server and
Excel Add-Ins file) installed on his computer, and Excel seems to have
been affected in two ways that he's noted so far:

1. When trying to apply a name to a range using the input area on the
top left of the workbook space, the input box kicks the user out after
a short while (as if the Esc key has been pressed)

2. When programming in the VBE, the Auto List Members box (the list of
properties etc that pops up as an aid after inserting a ".") pops up
only momentarily, again as if the Esc key has been pressed.

This only happens in the Excel VBE (not in any other Office
application), and the same does not happen when trying to input a
formula (i.e. this is not due to the Esc key on the keyboard being
jammed).

I tried this on three different PCs at work, running Excel 2003.  One
had Bloomberg anywhere installed, one was a Bloomberg terminal, and
another had no access to Bloomberg - only the add-in.  I have now just
tried this on a laptop with Excel 2000 installed, and the same problem
occurs.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Bloomberg are presently denying all
responsibility and are falling back on the claim that nobody else has
reported such an issue.  Try it out for yourselves!

Any suggestions?

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Peter

I've not tried it, but it sound like Bloomberg is refreshing the data every
x seconds, which would 'take focus'.  Is there a setting to refresh say
every hour?

You could also try to put something on the clipboard and see if the ability
to paste it disappears at the same frequency, as certainly pressing esc
would do that.

I stress I haven't looked at the add-in but suspect Bloomberg are at fault

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

<peter.loggie@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>A discovery was reported at work today: a user has the Bloomberg add-in
> (http://about.bloomberg.com/software/index.html - the DDE Server and
> Excel Add-Ins file) installed on his computer, and Excel seems to have
> been affected in two ways that he's noted so far:
>
> 1. When trying to apply a name to a range using the input area on the
> top left of the workbook space, the input box kicks the user out after
> a short while (as if the Esc key has been pressed)
>
> 2. When programming in the VBE, the Auto List Members box (the list of
> properties etc that pops up as an aid after inserting a ".") pops up
> only momentarily, again as if the Esc key has been pressed.
>
> This only happens in the Excel VBE (not in any other Office
> application), and the same does not happen when trying to input a
> formula (i.e. this is not due to the Esc key on the keyboard being
> jammed).
>
> I tried this on three different PCs at work, running Excel 2003.  One
> had Bloomberg anywhere installed, one was a Bloomberg terminal, and
> another had no access to Bloomberg - only the add-in.  I have now just
> tried this on a laptop with Excel 2000 installed, and the same problem
> occurs.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  Bloomberg are presently denying all
> responsibility and are falling back on the claim that nobody else has
> reported such an issue.  Try it out for yourselves!
>
> Any suggestions?

Thanks Nick,

Yep, it's the Bloomberg add-in.  It runs a macro every x seconds and
that's the issue.  The guys at Bloomberg (eventually) said they knew
about it  - the "bug" was introduced a couple of versions ago.  They
said they knew about it, but they figured that it wouldn't bother too
many users...

Anyway, they've now got the task of finding a way to get rid of the
bug...

Nick Hodge wrote:
> Peter
>
> I've not tried it, but it sound like Bloomberg is refreshing the data every
> x seconds, which would 'take focus'.  Is there a setting to refresh say
> every hour?
>
> You could also try to put something on the clipboard and see if the ability
> to paste it disappears at the same frequency, as certainly pressing esc
> would do that.
>
> I stress I haven't looked at the add-in but suspect Bloomberg are at fault
>
> --
> HTH
> Nick Hodge
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Southampton, England
> nick_hodgeTAKETHISOUT@zen.co.ukANDTHIS
> www.nickhodge.co.uk
>

> <peter.loggie@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> >A discovery was reported at work today: a user has the Bloomberg add-in
> > (http://about.bloomberg.com/software/index.html - the DDE Server and
> > Excel Add-Ins file) installed on his computer, and Excel seems to have
> > been affected in two ways that he's noted so far:
> >
> > 1. When trying to apply a name to a range using the input area on the
> > top left of the workbook space, the input box kicks the user out after
> > a short while (as if the Esc key has been pressed)
> >
> > 2. When programming in the VBE, the Auto List Members box (the list of
> > properties etc that pops up as an aid after inserting a ".") pops up
> > only momentarily, again as if the Esc key has been pressed.
> >
> > This only happens in the Excel VBE (not in any other Office
> > application), and the same does not happen when trying to input a
> > formula (i.e. this is not due to the Esc key on the keyboard being
> > jammed).
> >
> > I tried this on three different PCs at work, running Excel 2003.  One
> > had Bloomberg anywhere installed, one was a Bloomberg terminal, and
> > another had no access to Bloomberg - only the add-in.  I have now just
> > tried this on a laptop with Excel 2000 installed, and the same problem
> > occurs.
> >
> > Has anyone else experienced this?  Bloomberg are presently denying all
> > responsibility and are falling back on the claim that nobody else has
> > reported such an issue.  Try it out for yourselves!
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Timesheet Add Lines function ?
There are times when filling out the timesheet, folks will need to add lines to the timesheet via the "Add Lines" button. Does the list that holds the projects/tasks to choose from get larger and larger? Is there some event or trigger that causes a project/task to no longer display in the Add Lines dialog box of the timesheet? Thanks, Andy Novak UNT Andy -- To the best of my knowledge, the Add Lines feature will continue to show every project to which a user is assigned at least one task until the Project Server administrator deletes the project. This means the l...

Vote: Add Item messages to Items by Inventory Wizard
We would like to have a feature to Add Item messages to Items by Inventory Wizard. -- Jason Clements ===================================================== ===================================================== ------=_NextPart_0001_3178B8C4 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Good morning Jason, Thank you for posting your product suggestion. However, to ensure that your suggestions are seen you would want to submit them via one of the below methods: 1. Use one of the following links: CustomerSource https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/productsuggestions...

Add Actual End Date to Resolved Cases view
Hi We would like to add the actual end date to the Case General Tab or possibly to the Resolved Cases and/or My Resolved Cases view. I know that the Actual End Date is available on the Service Activity and Case Resolution but this field is not available for the Case. Any workaround for this? Thanks Mark Mark, if the field is not available I would go ahead and add a new date field. You can then expose the field on any of the views. Hope that helps. "Mark Braithwaite" wrote: > Hi > > We would like to add the actual end date to the Case General Tab or possibly >...

how to add a textbox if user chooses yes in response to msgbox.
Hi, Request: I seek help to figure out is how to manage multiple quantities in a quote. I have a userform--userform4 with a command button--commandbutton1, with the code shown below. I'm trying to use an input box to collect the first quantity and then store it in a variable and display it in a text box. I don't understand how to loop if the user has more than one quantity. I tried to add a new textbox if the user answers yes to the msgbox, "Do you have another quantity to enter?" I don't know if it is better to calculate the price for each quantit...

HOW DO I ADD
I'M REAL NEW TO EXCEL..... I NEED TO ADD D11 + D12 + D13+ D14+ D15 + D16 + D17 WITH THE ANSWER IN D19 I'VE BEEN WORKING FOR ABOUT 1 HR. AND STILL IT DOES NOT ADD UP NO TOTAL IN D19......HELP....THANK YOU.... -- CHEROKEE Enter this formula in D19: =SUM(D11:D17) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "CHRIS" <CHRIS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84FF551E-3B4B-4A2B-9F5B-F48612BC39C6@microsoft.com... > I'M REAL NEW TO EXCEL..... > > I NEED TO ADD D11 + D12 + D13+ D14+ D15 + D16 + D17 WITH THE ANSWER IN D19 > I'VE BEEN WORKING FOR ...

Add on Suggestions after every Item
Is there an easy way to have the POS suggest jewelry and shoes after the purchase (without editing every item in the register?) Thanks in advance... Scott Santorio Director of Operations ...

add my email address when replying to all
when replying to a message, how do you include your email address when selecting reply to all? melissa <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > when replying to a message, how do you include your email > address when selecting reply to all? Um, type it at the end of the address list? -- Brian Tillman >-----Original Message----- >melissa <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >> when replying to a message, how do you include your email >> address when selecting reply to all? > >Um, type it at the end of the address list? >-- ...

Transaction Entries add function
I can add Items to a transaction using the add function. Is there a way to tell if my item has been sucessfully added? When the lookup code does not exist in RMS my application crashes but I'd rather handle it elegantly. Thanks Debra hi John, I think if you said that your applicaiton crash when you create hte item, i better say is that you use the sql profiler tool or the event vewer to find why this app is crashing, it could be problem of database creation. Akber "Debra Johnston" wrote: > I can add Items to a transaction using the add function. > > Is there a ...

Outlook 2003 Add-ons
Hello, is there any Outllok 2003 Add-Ons that i should look at? Microsoft or no Microsoft. Can anybody send me some links? Thank You Very Much, Miguel What do you want your add-in to do? Anyway; http://www.howto-outlook.com/addins http://www.slipstick.com/addins -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Miguel Dias Moura" <web001@27NOSPAMlamps.com> wrote in message news:uU9GmtYaEHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > is there any Outllok...

add up numbers !!!
hi i am having some differculties by putting some numbers in a column going down and i have another column nex to it and i want the numbers from the first column so that everytime i add some numbers to that column it will add them up in he column next to it so its like a continues adding senquence if a picture is needed email me ur email and ial email it to u thanks ryan. :) Right click sheet tab>view code>insert this>adjust to your column>SAVE workbook Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Column <> 16 Then Exit Sub Target.Offset(, 1) = _ Appli...

MFC app
Hello, I have a MFC app source and am adding some TCP/IP functionality. The current design is not multithreaded and sending/receiving sockets interferes with timeouts (waiting for client to connect, receiving messages, etc.). I'd like to spawn a thread to handle the TCP/IP then signal an event and the app will take care of the rest. I'm new to MFC; have never used it before looking at this app's source. Can I create a worker thread to handle my socket communications? Thanks, Chris CBudz wrote: > Hello, I have a MFC app source and am adding some TCP/IP fu...

Examples of Add-ons
Does anyone have examples of add-ons for Visio? dave There is a full SDK for Visio complete with code examples on MSDN. The SDK for Visio 2003 is not yet available, but here is a link: http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/understanding/visio/ Meanwhile, look at the SDK for Visio 2002 and earlier here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/office/previous/visio/default.aspx -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "dave" <shollas@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:u$YI1rz0DHA.208@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... &...

How do I add an integer to an existing integer?
If I have the # 123456, How do I add the # 7 to the end of it. So the end result will be 1234567. Aaron =A1&7 Mike "Aaron" wrote: > If I have the # 123456, How do I add the # 7 to the end of it. So the end > result will be 1234567. =A1&"7" if you want text =--(A1&"7") if you want a number -- David Biddulph "Aaron" <Aaron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2A3B09FB-EE3B-47BA-B30A-B6AE32CD5CAC@microsoft.com... > If I have the # 123456, How do I add the # 7 to the end of it. So the end &...

Form File Explorer add-in ???
Good Morning Folks, I am trying to find either an add-in or code to automatically put a file explorer inside an Access form. I would like to browse thru a database table that contains a directory and the file explorer displays the contents (files and folders) in a form window. Other things I would like to do inside of the file explorer is double click word docs to open or move thru the directories inside of the file explorer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance, Mike ...

how do I add phone extension information so dials correctly?
is there some way to add a pause between the number and then the extension so when you dial from a contact it connects, and then inserts the extension number so you get connected? Just adding the digits for the extension after the number has been making it think its an international call. "MarieSbux" <MarieSbux@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3E8C0711-9289-408C-82BE-A2908888747F@microsoft.com... > is there some way to add a pause between the number and then the extension > so > when you dial from a contact it connects, and then inserts...

How to call a function from a third part com add-in?
How to call a function from a third part com add-in at excel 2007. The COM add-in created a new tab with some buttons.. how can i see with function each button is calling? Thanks ...

index when to add
hello all, my understanding is that an index should be added to fields that are often searched or sorted, and can be added to individual fields, or to a group of fields. if fields a, b, c, & d are typically sorted and used in joins, should i add an index to field a, field b, field c, field d, fields a & b & c & d, fields a & b & c, fields a & c & d etc etc? is there a disadvantage to adding too many indexes? what is the general rule as to whether or not an index should be added? is there any harm in deleting an index after it has already b...

Auto Add formated Row on Enter key
I'm trying to do a sales report that has a solid continuous border and a dotted interior. When i get to the last formatted row within the borders(columns A-G, rows 9-50) and i press enter in row 50 column G i want it to add another row that pushes the solid continuous border down to row 51 and does the dotted interior. Can anyone provide insight or code? ...

How do I add vertical lines to separate columns in Outlook 2003
In Outlook 2000, all columns were separated by a gray vertical line. I can't seem to set this up in Outlook 2003. Any help would be appreciated ...

Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed
I have encountered a problem with an Commercial Addin program by J-Wal and Associates "PUP2000". I have used this Addin for years and hav never had a problem with it, ever. I also have a fine addin by Ron d Bruin "Google 6.0" which is great. The reason I mention both of thes addins is because Ron's Google 6.0 is working fine, but John's (Joh Walkenbach) PUP2000 menu does not load at all when I start Excel. Ron' Google 6.0 does get added but perhaps it's because Ron's product onl adds an item to the existing Help menu. The actual error message tha shows ...

Cannot Add a new facility or equipment
Hello, We are trying to deploy CRM 3.0 on a SBS 2003. I read in help how to create the above, but when I click Business Unit Settings there are no options for Facilities/Equipment. At the end of this post are the directions. Am I missing something? Did the program install correctly? Is this available for the Small Business Server Version? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Ed Podowski ------------Add a new facility or equipment ------------- For help gathering the right information, see the Fadllity/Equi/ment worksheet in the Microsoft CRM 3,0 Implementation Guide o...

Very slow Add Member Variable Wizard in VS2005
Hi, I've upgraded to VS2005 and find the wizard to be very slow. Adding a member variable from within the dialog editor takes ~5 seconds or longer. I noticed that CPU usage shoots up to 100% during this period. I have AMD Turion 64, 2.19 GHz, 1GB RAM. Does anyone have any idea what could cause the slowdown? Or, is this because VS 2005 is not that great for MFC/C++ development? Thanks, Bogdan I made a mistake in my original post. It takes ~15 seconds to add a member variable and not 5. Bogdan "Bogdan" <nobody@nospam.com> wrote in message news:OjJyBoNgGHA....

How can I add more background colors or stationary to Outlook temp
How can I add more background colors, stationery, animated watermarks, etc. to Outlood email? I go to Outlook> Actions> New Mail Message Using > More Stationery but there are only a templates as options. I would like to add templates. For example green for St Paddys, bunny backgrounds, animated (moving) hearts, etc. Thank you Create pages in an HTML editor and save to %appdata%\microsoft\stationery -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by ...

Add Trusted Code DLL Outlook Security Settings
I'm trying to add a trusted code DLL to my outlook security form, but if I click on the add button nothing happens. So I'm not able to browse and add any files as trusted code. We're using Exchange / Outlook 2003 and I've registered the trusted code files on my admin PC as it's described. Other configuration changes to the programmatic or outlook security settings tab are working just fine. Can anyone help??? ...

add ticker symbol money 2003
Set up investment accounts with mutual funds but did not enter ticker symbols when I set them up. I need to go back and add them but can't seem to find that option. Is there an easy way to add them by looking them up or entering them? Which screen? On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 09:56:10 -0700, "s" <shelbyite@hotmail.com> wrote: >Set up investment accounts with mutual funds but did not >enter ticker symbols when I set them up. I need to go >back and add them but can't seem to find that option. Is >there an easy way to add them by looking them up or >e...