Big Help Needed Excel '95

A friend has a simple spreadsheet with 6 tabs along the bottom.  Win 95 and
Office 95 installed.

One of the Tabbed sheets had a HUGE list of items and he "hit some key" and
wiped out the data in the sheet.  Doesn't know what he did and worse still
saved the file and exited.  Has no back-up!  He can't duplicate what he did
or even know what he did.

I appreciate the data is probably lost, but my query is that the sheet, when
you click the Tab shows no cell lines at all, no data obviously, but no
cells at all?  There are line numbers down the left side that you can click
on but no column letters along the top?

What on earth has happened?

Nothing is "Hidden" via the menu system.  The other tabbed sheets are fine
and in fact this sheet has its total sent to a summary sheet (from a cell
H1125) and that summary is showing in the other sheet, yet there is no
visible cell H1125 or the mass of other data.

It is formatted as GENERAL, and that is how it would have been before, as
there were names of wine and stock and price in the sheet.

This is a struggling friend in a small business and rather than him have to
type 30 pages of data back in (he has a print out but not a saved file!)
would like some clues as to what has happened.

Worse still, as this sheet no longer seems to be a sheet with cells, then he
can't even type the data back in here?  Deleting the sheet is going to screw
the rest of his simple workbook up, which I would prefer not to do.

I have tried copying the blank sheet to another workbook and it comes up the
same, no cells and blank.

Appreciate any assistance

Frenchy

Yeh, and I have lectured him on backing up the file and NOT saving the
workbook after an error of this magnitude and showed him the UNDO button
<smile>

0
invalid460 (432)
7/25/2005 8:18:33 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Have him send the file, Frenchy. I'm fairly certain we'll get his data
back---all in strictest confidence.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Frenchy" <invalid@invalid.com> wrote in message
> A friend has a simple spreadsheet with 6 tabs along the bottom.  Win 95
and
> Office 95 installed.
>
> One of the Tabbed sheets had a HUGE list of items and he "hit some key"
and
> wiped out the data in the sheet.  Doesn't know what he did and worse still
> saved the file and exited.  Has no back-up!  He can't duplicate what he
did
> or even know what he did.
>
> I appreciate the data is probably lost, but my query is that the sheet,
when
> you click the Tab shows no cell lines at all, no data obviously, but no
> cells at all?  There are line numbers down the left side that you can
click
> on but no column letters along the top?
>
> What on earth has happened?
>
> Nothing is "Hidden" via the menu system.  The other tabbed sheets are fine
> and in fact this sheet has its total sent to a summary sheet (from a cell
> H1125) and that summary is showing in the other sheet, yet there is no
> visible cell H1125 or the mass of other data.
>
> It is formatted as GENERAL, and that is how it would have been before, as
> there were names of wine and stock and price in the sheet.
>
> This is a struggling friend in a small business and rather than him have
> type 30 pages of data back in (he has a print out but not a saved file!)
> would like some clues as to what has happened.
>
> Worse still, as this sheet no longer seems to be a sheet with cells, then
he
> can't even type the data back in here?  Deleting the sheet is going to
screw
> the rest of his simple workbook up, which I would prefer not to do.
>
> I have tried copying the blank sheet to another workbook and it comes up
the
> same, no cells and blank.
>
> Appreciate any assistance
>
> Frenchy
>
> Yeh, and I have lectured him on backing up the file and NOT saving the
> workbook after an error of this magnitude and showed him the UNDO button
> <smile>

0
ng1 (1444)
7/25/2005 8:30:27 AM
Maybe he hid the rows/columns???

Ctrl-a (to select all the cells)
Format|Row|Unhide
and then
Format|column|Unhide

or maybe he froze panes and just can't scroll up to see the data.
Window|Unfreeze Panes

--

Dave Peterson
0

PLUS, there are no cells available for CTRL-A.  The sheet is there (as a
clickable Tab at the bottom) but nothing visible when you get there.  And
neither can you select (click) anywhere in the sheet.

Got me stumped!

Frenchy

:
: Ctrl-a (to select all the cells)
: Format|Row|Unhide
: and then
: Format|column|Unhide
:
: or maybe he froze panes and just can't scroll up to see the data.
: Window|Unfreeze Panes
:
:
: Frenchy wrote:
: >
[...]
: --
:
: Dave Peterson

0
invalid460 (432)
7/25/2005 6:16:55 PM
Can you post a screen shot somewhere - I'm having trouble picuring what
the worksheet looks like.

Also, if you think the dat ais there for some reason, try this, insert
a new worksheet, go to the mysterious woksheet, select all, copy, then
paste into the newly added worksheet.

0
comish4lif (34)
7/25/2005 7:30:49 PM
Will post later today (I don't have the file)

Have tried to copy the sheet, nothing happens

Frenchy

<comish4lif@verizon.net> wrote in message
: Can you post a screen shot somewhere - I'm having trouble picuring what
: the worksheet looks like.
:
: Also, if you think the dat ais there for some reason, try this, insert
: a new worksheet, go to the mysterious woksheet, select all, copy, then
: paste into the newly added worksheet.
:

0
invalid460 (432)
7/25/2005 7:35:18 PM
If you put a formula like:

=counta('sheet2'!a:iv)

in another worksheet, what answer do you get?

If it's 0, then there's nothing on that sheet.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Problem was solved when I brought the file to my computer and was able to
actually see the screen (this file was being managed on a 10 year old
Toshiba with Win 95 and I think a failing screen!)

Seems he had somehow gone beyond the range of the available Columns.  He was
at column IV and that was just blank space and no column header letters but
you could see it when you clicked the row number.  On my computer (MS Office
2003) I was able to return to Column A and voila, all the data (about 1300
lines, so that was a real long job to re-type)

Your help was much appreciated

Frenchy

: If you put a formula like:
:
: =counta('sheet2'!a:iv)
:
: in another worksheet, what answer do you get?
:
: If it's 0, then there's nothing on that sheet.
:
: Frenchy wrote:
: >
: > Will post later today (I don't have the file)
: >
: > Have tried to copy the sheet, nothing happens
: >
: > Frenchy
: >
: > <comish4lif@verizon.net> wrote in message
: > news:1122319849.195114.191020@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
: > : Can you post a screen shot somewhere - I'm having trouble picuring
what
: > : the worksheet looks like.
: > :
: > : Also, if you think the dat ais there for some reason, try this, insert
: > : a new worksheet, go to the mysterious woksheet, select all, copy, then
: > : paste into the newly added worksheet.
: > :
:
: --
:
: Dave Peterson

0
invalid460 (432)
7/25/2005 10:53:04 PM
Darn. I was sure hoping for that free bottle of wine. :)
Glad you got it sorted!
*******************

> OK, my thanks to Dave and Anne for their prompt and helpful input.
>
> Problem was solved when I brought the file to my computer and was able to
> actually see the screen (this file was being managed on a 10 year old
> Toshiba with Win 95 and I think a failing screen!)
>
> Seems he had somehow gone beyond the range of the available Columns.  He
was
> at column IV and that was just blank space and no column header letters
but
> you could see it when you clicked the row number.  On my computer (MS
Office
> 2003) I was able to return to Column A and voila, all the data (about 1300
> lines, so that was a real long job to re-type)
>
> Your help was much appreciated
>
> Frenchy
>

> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
> : If you put a formula like:
> :
> : =counta('sheet2'!a:iv)
> :
> : in another worksheet, what answer do you get?
> :
> : If it's 0, then there's nothing on that sheet.
> :
> : Frenchy wrote:
> : >
> : > Will post later today (I don't have the file)
> : >
> : > Have tried to copy the sheet, nothing happens
> : >
> : > Frenchy
> : >
> : > <comish4lif@verizon.net> wrote in message
> : > news:1122319849.195114.191020@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> : > : Can you post a screen shot somewhere - I'm having trouble picuring
> what
> : > : the worksheet looks like.
> : > :
> : > : Also, if you think the dat ais there for some reason, try this,
insert
> : > : a new worksheet, go to the mysterious woksheet, select all, copy,
then
> : > : paste into the newly added worksheet.
> : > :
> :
> : --
> :
> : Dave Peterson

0
ng1 (1444)

SQL in Excel data
Hi all, Is there a possibility/way to run an SQL query in an excel data sheet? I have quite some data like the sample below, now i would like to have the sum of spending for each person. Like it is possible in Access. A1 B1 Field1 Field2 Chuck 12,89 Mike 23,09 Jean 9,34 Chuck 30,00 Mike 3,80 Chuck 22,00 Mike 7,23 Jean 10,55 Jean 10,75 Jean 31,45 Chuck 19,99 Result Field1 SumOfField2 Chuck 84,88 Jean 62,09 Mike 34,12 Advice would be appriciated. Cheers, Ludovic Hi You could use a formula like this ...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

excel spreadsheet
How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" isn't highlighted, so it doesn't work. Is the sheet protected or shared? -- Regards, RD ===================================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all may benefit! ===================================================== "Ang" <Ang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:418A7E09-1E8E-41E1-9988-82460B633629@microsoft.com... How do I delete columns from my spread sheet? When I right click the word "delete" is...

URGENT HELP NEEDED! Need to restore email account
A friend of mine has just deleted her primary email account (listed as Microsoft Exchange Server) from her Outlook 2003 (she's running Win 2000) as she has just got a new internet provider but on doing that all her inbox, address book etc has disappeared. She desperately needs to recover it as soon as possible .. can it be done and if so how? Would really appreciate any help as she has urgent messages which need to be sent The mail and contacts would still be on the Exchange Server. She can use = the Tools | E-mail Accounts command to add the Exchange account back to = Outlook.=20 ...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

please help with this query

Office 2010 Buying Question Assistance Needed
I've been looking through the MS Office 2010 web site to try to determine what my new small company would require, but I can't find the information I need. We for sure would need Office Pro Plus, but other than that I'm not sure. We want to run it on our own server. We will initially have 3-5 people using it and perhaps more later on. Would we need to purchase site licensing? Unfortunately, our programmers are MS haters (I'm not) and I can't get any assistance from them on this, but I have power of the pen. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. Th...

Excel 2000 macro security Level
Hi! I am running an ASP.NET application which ideally opens an Exce spreadsheet with a macro included in it. When I try opening spreadsheet without a macro, everything works fine, but with macros, i hangs on the opening command. I tried to go to Excel 2000 and go t Tools->Macros->Security Level->Low but it still hangs when I try t open the macro spreadsheet. All works fine with the spreadsheet no containing macros, so it really is a question of macro security. But put it to low, so I don't understand how it is still not opening!! An help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and...

Do I need download service ? if I already got trial version office 2008 for mac.
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel as title. <edchai@officeformac.com> wrote: > as title. Well I'm not sure I get it. What download service?? You mean you are buying onoine and they are offering you some sort of "online backup"?? It's up to you, but you can probably live without it if it's a simple matter of redownloading the trial and entering your key in it (don;t know - I have the CD version) Corentin -- --- Office:Mac MVP http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ --- http://www.mvps.org - http...

Running an Excel Macro from an Access Command Button
Hi , Can anyone help me with this, I am trying to run an excel macro from an access command button. I want the macro to Bold the Headings on a excel spreadsheet. The code runs without any errors but the macro doesnt seem to work, I think I have got the line ExcelApp.ExecuteExcel4Macro "RUN(""PERSONAL.XLS!BoldHead"")" wrong The code: Private Sub cmdRunMac_Click() Dim ExcelApp As Excel.Application Dim ExcelBook As Excel.Workbook Set ExcelApp = Excel.Application ExcelApp.Visible = True Set ExcelBook = ExcelApp.Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Backup Excel file

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...

Secure Area Needs Password
Hi, I have Outlook installed. When i start it up a popup box comes up and asks for my windows password. I type this in and it says it is wrong?? i have no passwords on folders, calendars etc.... Any ideas? ...

Excel Histogram -- Incorrect Bins
I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am finding that = Excel is shifting all my data one bin to the right. =20 For example, with data... 2,2,2,7,7,7 and bin range selected as 0,5,10 I am EXPECTING 3 items in bin 0 (between zero and five) and 3 items in = bin=20 5 (between five and ten). Excel is RETURNING a histogram with nothing in the zero bin, and 3 items = each in the 5 bin and the 10 bin. This is driving my bonkers! I can't find a solution...can somebody = please=20 help? Eric Anderson - > I am using the Histogram tool in Excel 2004 for Mac -- I am...

Hyperlink File Help