Being saved to a temporary document

I've got several users in a subnet who are experiencing an intermittent
problem when saving Excel files.  They get an error message:

Your changes could not be saved to '...', but were saved to a temporary
document named '...'.  Close the existing document, then open the temporary
document and save it under a new name.

The first '...' is the original file name; the second '...' is a bunch of
numbers.  The new file with the numbers in the name is saved in the same
location, and does not have an extension.

I've found a bit of information on Microsoft's support pages about this, but
it only tells what the result of the error is.  It doesn't tell me in any
way what is causing this problem.

The users all have full control of the network shares where these files are.
We are certain that files experiencing this problem are not being accessed
by multiple users simultaneously.  The files are not read-only.  The problem
is intermittent.  The client computers all have Windows 2000 Professional.
The share is NTFS.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

David
Stardate 4281.4

0
trimboli (3)
4/12/2004 7:05:41 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name.

If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful,
xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name.

Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are antivirus
software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or physical
problems.

But with intermittent problems, it could be difficult to isolate.  Can you
temporarily disable the antivirus software?

If you do and that doesn't correct it, can you isolate the problem to only a few
pcs?  Maybe something is wrong with that branch of the network.

Until you (or your IT department) determine the problem (and fix it!), I'd save
to my local harddrive and use windows explorer to copy to the network share.

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

David
Stardate 4283.7

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
> When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny
name.

> If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's
successful,
> xl will rename the funny named file to the original's name.
>
> Common things that get blamed for interruptions to this process are
antivirus
> software poking its head in or network errors--either permissions or
physical
> problems.
>
> But with intermittent problems, it could be difficult to isolate.  Can you
> temporarily disable the antivirus software?
>
> If you do and that doesn't correct it, can you isolate the problem to only
a few
> pcs?  Maybe something is wrong with that branch of the network.
>
> Until you (or your IT department) determine the problem (and fix it!), I'd
save
> to my local harddrive and use windows explorer to copy to the network
share.

> David Trimboli wrote:
> >
> > I've got several users in a subnet who are experiencing an intermittent
> > problem when saving Excel files.  They get an error message:
> >
> > Your changes could not be saved to '...', but were saved to a temporary
> > document named '...'.  Close the existing document, then open the
temporary
> > document and save it under a new name.
> >
> > The first '...' is the original file name; the second '...' is a bunch
of
> > numbers.  The new file with the numbers in the name is saved in the same
> > location, and does not have an extension.
> >
> > I've found a bit of information on Microsoft's support pages about this,
but
> > it only tells what the result of the error is.  It doesn't tell me in
any
> > way what is causing this problem.
> >
> > The users all have full control of the network shares where these files
are.
> > We are certain that files experiencing this problem are not being
accessed
> > by multiple users simultaneously.  The files are not read-only.  The
problem
> > is intermittent.  The client computers all have Windows 2000
Professional.
> > The share is NTFS.
> >
> > Does anybody know why this is happening?
> >
> > David
> > Stardate 4281.4
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com

0
trimboli (3)

clip art appears in publisher document blurred but prints clearly.
When I insert clip art into my newsletter it is blurry, making it difficult to edit, but when I print it the picture is clear. Could be one of two things: 1. Go to View > Pictures > and choose detailed display or 2. Update your video driver: Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 and older are critical about video drivers. Usually upgrading (or downgrading in some cases) will fix the problems you are encountering. I would recommend is restarting your computer in 'Safe Mode'. To get to Safe Mode, restart your computer and press "F8" at the beginning of the boot process. ...

I need an hourglass symbol for my word document
I have looked through the symbols section in microsoft word and cannot find one, I cvannot use clipart as it is for another document Wingdings has an hourglass character. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Mints" <Mints@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BB3AA679-6F5B-44E1-91BA-C1CEDD19A561@microsoft.com... >I have looked through the symbols section in microsoft word and cannot find > one, I cvannot use clipart as it is for another document ...

Creating a Word document from an ASP.NET application
Hello, I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can be used from an ASP.NET application (located on a IIS server without Office on it) to create a Word document based on a template (.dot) that is used only for the bookmarks properties (replaced momentarily with a personnal values). Best Regards, "Bruno MAIGNAN" <bruno.maignan@ca-atlantica.fr> wrote in message news:#ryAXWTELHA.4316@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > I just want to know if there is an existing DLL or Web Compasant that can > be used from an ASP.NET application (locate...

SOP Document Transfer Process
User inadvertently transferred the wrong quote to order. She transferred QTE534708 instead of QTE543708. Is there a way to correct using the interface? Do I have to void the order that was created and re-do the quote (using a different quote number)? What if I changed the type ID in the SOP10100 and SOP10200 tables and then ran checklinks - do you think the system will fix the data inconsistencies? Surely this has happened before........ No, checklinks will not fix that. You will need to create a new quote. However, void the order first and then you can copy the details from the voi...

save as #3
I have records done in Works 6.0 spreadsheet that I want to save to Excel but works won't let me. Can someone help me? Thanks, Eileen What happens? There is no save as excel file option? -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Eileen" <vanvan@piasanet.com> wrote in message news:%23m9CclyHEHA.3720@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have records done in Works 6.0 spreadsheet that I want to save to Excel > but works won't let me. Can someone help me? > Thanks, Eileen > > In Works DB: When I 'save as' I have these choices: Works DB Works for Windows 3.0 Works ...

how do I keep items grouped to save as a .jpg in Publisher?
I have designed an advert in Publisher using text boxes & a picture. I have grouped these but when I try to save them as a Picture in .jpg format only onetext box gets saved. How do I overcome this as I also need to save the image as a .pdf? Save the whole publication as a .jpg. File, save as, files of type, scroll down to .jpg -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "baffled32" <baffled32@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

Saving Formulas #2
What is the easiest way to save frequently used formulas within Excel for use? Select the formulas you wish to store then Edit>Replace What: = With: xx Now move them to a blank worksheet and place descriptive text next to them so's you know what they do. When you want to use one just reverse the Edit procedure. If I have read the question incorrectly, post back. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:06:07 -0800, "tojo107" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What is the easiest way to save frequently used formulas within Excel for use? ...

save a file with a preview
I am using EXCEL 2002 Core and Expert manual for training. I have a small item that is frustrating me! Page 38 of the manual ask me..."use EXCEL Help to look up how to save a file with a preview." I cannot find any information on this question. Will someone please provide guidance in this area? Thanks, Billy > Page 38 of the manual ask me..."use EXCEL Help to look up > how to save a file with a preview." I cannot find any > information on this question. Found it ; interesting. File -- Properties. On the Summary, check Save Preview Picture, click OK. ...

Energy Saving Tips
1. Reduce heater's room temperature For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will consume 7 to 11% more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your health. 2. Install a programmable thermostat You will be able to control the heater's temperature during specific hours every day. 3. Insulate your house Loss of heat is loss of energy. 4. Fix air leaks 5. Close the chimney of the fireplace when you don't use it It is designed to drive smoke (hot air) out of the house! 6. Get an energy audit to advice you about the necessary fixes and in...

Saving Pivot Chart Alterations
Hi, I am creating a pivot chart and then altering the colors, alignment etc. However, everytime I change a parameter from drop down lists, the colors default to original. How can I avoid this. Satya This is a known problem in Excel 2000. There's some info in the following MSKB article, which suggests recording a macro as you apply the formatting: XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting http://support.microsoft.com/?id=215904 satya wrote: > I am creating a pivot chart and then altering the colors, > alignment etc. However, everytime I change a paramete...

Auto Save Add-In
Dear "Guest" I can not understand your complaint, I think you need to read th thread from beginning to end. Dave suggested a macro to resolve my problem of Auto Save not retainin its settings; and I asked him for more details on how to enter th macro. As far as I am concerned it is all relevant to the query and you hav no need to slag us off. PS Be brave and Log I -- Charles ----------------------------------------------------------------------- CharlesF's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=874 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com...

How do I make a document editable?
I have eleven pages of text that I've transferred over on a USB port, from Word 2003 to Word 2007. When I open it, I can't edit it at all. I can only read it. How can I make the entire document editable? What happens when you try? Are there any warning messages, or status bar messages? Has your Word 2007 trial expired? -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<&g...

A strange error
Hi, I use Microsoft Office Word 2007 on Vista. When i try to open a document i get the below error - " You have exceeded the maximum number of pages supported by Microsoft Office Word" I wonder how can that document got saved if it is more than the maximum number of pages supporte by Microsoft Office Word. If i exceed the number of pages while creating the document, the error message appears valid. But, how does it appear while opening a document ? A strange error - Shouldn't the error message occur only while saving ? Any ideas ? Thx in advans, Karthik...

Great Plains (Dynamics) Webservices Version 9.0 where is documentation?
I've just loaded up GP9.0 into a Virtual PC to see what is going to be involved getting our customisations rewritten. I've noticed in the Release 9.0 Enhancements document that a number of webservice end points should be now available, however I can not see any documentation relating to them or notes on the installation of the webservices. Can anyone give me any pointers as I'd like to see what has been exposed in the webservices as it may change the way we tackle some of the mods? regards, Tim W Web services will be released shortly as part of the Developer Toolkit. (long nam...

Password protected wordperfect document
Is there any way of opening a 1991 document - created in wordperfect - which had a password. I change dover to Word in 1995 but now need this doc again. It is now saved as a Word .doc but I get the message "cannot convert password protected documents". I have the passsword. Do I need to buy and install Wordperfect again to open it? What do you mean by 'it is now saved as a Word .doc'? My guess is that it has a doc filename extension, but it is still a Word Perfect document. You will need access to a copy of Word Perfect in order to remove the password before it...

POP3 Settings not saving
Outlook 2002 POP3 settings do not save. When I configure outlook as a POP3 client to my ISP, the POP3 server settings and the login name settings change when closing and re-opening outlook. The POP3 server setting always changes to localhost. Any ideas? Thanks in advance, Scott ...

How do I change (and save) the page style in Outlook 2003?
I put in a backround color, and a format style for my text. I want to change it back and save it. But it keeps returning to the way I first set it. How do I save the new changes???? ...

Save multiple files as RTF files on C drive ?
I need to save about 2000 e-mails that are in my inbox to my C drive as individual RTF files. I know how to open them one by one and do a FILE-SAVE AS, but I am looking for a way to select them all at once or import them all at once into 2000 individual RTF files on my C drive. I tried selecting all the e-mails and doing a File-Save As, but it puts them all into one big TXT file on the C drive. What I need is for them to each be sent into an individual file. Any ideas? Thanks. ...

Saving Excel files as PDFs or vector files
Is anyone certain whether Excel files can be saved in either PDF or vector format (e.g., Adobe Illustrator)?? Thanks, Chuck Hi Chuck - If you have Acrobat, you can convert an Excel file to PDF. If you copy something in Excel and paste into PowerPoint (or other app), you can ungroup the object into its component elements, so the vector information is there. Have you tried pasting into Illustrator to see what you get? - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP http://www.geocities.com/jonpeltier/Excel/index.html _______ Chuck wrote: > Is anyone certain whether Excel files ca...

HOWTO: Protecting a Document???
Hi... I'm still using Office XP (Word 2002). I'm just about finished making a FORM document which I plan to turn into a template (.DOT). I've turned on the "Forms Protect"... which moves the user around the "protected text" but I also want to disable anyone from changing the original .DOT itself (this will be a standard form and don't need some smart-ass altering something that I'm, ultimately, responsible for). I'm still GOOGLE'g but... how can I allow a user to OPEN this file to enter data/check boxes into the FORM FIELDS......

In Word how do i remmove a hperlink to a page in the document?
Hello, Any help would be great! Thanks Frank Right-click and choose "Remove hyperlink"? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2711E212-E7DF-43C8-B502-5735F155992E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > Any help would be great! > Thanks > Frank > ...

Errors when saving under CRM 3.0 within Outlook
I am getting errors while trying to save any type of record in Leads and Activities. The error message gives me the option of Retry or Cancel. 25% of the time Retry works. More often - I am forced to Cancel and I loose the information in the Lead or Activity that I am trying to save. Config - Outlook 2003, CRM 3.0 running on IBM notebook with Windows XP and latest Service Packs. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions? -- Teddy Burriss ...

Recovery of unnamed document
Hi Friends, Yesterday, in a flurry of opening and closing XL documents, I closed the program without naming the book1 document I had been working on (for 4 hours). Yes, I know, I've learned my lesson, but is there any way to recover the unnamed document? I have run searches for "book1", searched for words I used in the spreadsheet, and looked in the file menu for the last open files, but to no avail. I have not yet turned off or rebooted my computer, hoping this thing is still in a temporary file. My guess is that when the application closes, it cleans up after it...

How do I save a narrated (sound embedded) PPT07 file in SCORM form
I want to allow my company's LMS (Learning Management System) to store, push, and report viewership of narrated (Isound embedded) PPT 2007 files. The LMS has two APIs for content: SCORM 1.2 or AICC. Has anyone found a way to store narrated PPTs (or take intermediate steps) to create SCORM-format output so an LMS can manipulate it? ...

Money-Saving Offer (All 3400 Exams Q&A's) Just in $49
Money-Saving Offer (All 3400 Exams Q&A's) Just in $49 ITRealExams is the leader in supplying certification candidates with current and up-to-date training materials for Cisco Certification and Exam preparation. ITRealExams Cisco resources are constantly being revised and updated for relevance and accuracy. We 100% guarantee the materials with quality and reliability which will help you pass any Microsoft certification exam. http://www.ITRealExams.com ...