I have a data table that looks like this:

Code
-------------------

  STR-S	SNK-S	STR-K	STR-F	SNK-S	STR-3	STR-2	STR-F	SNK-S	SNK-4	SNK-S	STR-3	SNK-F	STR-4	STR-O

-------------------

"STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example
The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run,
3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge
it.

How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can'
think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas?

THANK YOU!!  :confused

--
AVERAGE(user
AVERAGE(user)'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2829

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think you need more information.

SNK-4
may be a homerun, but how many were on base?

It could be 1 RBI (bases empty) to 4 RBI (bases loaded).

--

Dave Peterson
0
>how many were on base?

Looks like there was a guy on second for the first homerun.

If someone hits a double and that is followed by a sngle does the runner on
second base score?

Good luck with this!

Biff

>I think you need more information.
>
> SNK-4
> may be a homerun, but how many were on base?
>
> It could be 1 RBI (bases empty) to 4 RBI (bases loaded).
>
> "AVERAGE(user)" wrote:
>>
>> I have a data table that looks like this:
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>>
>>   STR-S SNK-S   STR-K   STR-F   SNK-S   STR-3   STR-2   STR-F   SNK-S
>> SNK-4   SNK-S   STR-3   SNK-F   STR-4   STR-O
>>
>> --------------------
>>
>> "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example.
>> The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, a
>> 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you get
>> it.
>>
>> How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can't
>> think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> THANK YOU!!  :confused:
>>
>> --
>> AVERAGE(user)
>> AVERAGE(user)'s Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28294
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478641
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/24/2005 3:24:52 AM
Sometimes.  But if it's an infield hit, probably not.

And the opposite is true, too.  A single followed by a double may score a runner
from first (or maybe not).

--

Dave Peterson
0

In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
player will advance only the number of bases of the hit; so there would
be players on 1st and 3rd. So I need to find a formula to calculate
this, which I'm stumped on. Maybe some of you advanced users know a
way?

I will have to try and change the format if there isn't a way, but I
still need the data to all be in one string, I was thinking like:

STR0102

'STR' is the pitch type
'010' would be who's on base, the first digit would be 1st base, next
would be 2nd, and then 3rd for the third digit
'2' would be the play, a double for example

So I would go through a formula for '010' like:

IF(0*1 > 0, 1 + 2, 0) - 0*1, the 0 would be a 1 if someone was on base
IF(1*2 > 0, 2 + 2, 0) - player was on 2nd, so 2+2 = 4, meaning he
scored
IF(0*3 > 0, 3 + 2, 0)

Would this work or is it flawed?

THANKS!

--

AVERAGE(user) wrote:
> Thanks for your replys,
>
> In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
> player will advance only the number of bases of the hit; so there would
> be players on 1st and 3rd. So I need to find a formula to calculate
> this, which I'm stumped on. Maybe some of you advanced users know a
> way?
>
> I will have to try and change the format if there isn't a way, but I
> still need the data to all be in one string, I was thinking like:
>
> STR0102
>
> 'STR' is the pitch type
> '010' would be who's on base, the first digit would be 1st base, next
> would be 2nd, and then 3rd for the third digit
> '2' would be the play, a double for example
>
> So I would go through a formula for '010' like:
>
> IF(0*1 > 0, 1 + 2, 0) - 0*1, the 0 would be a 1 if someone was on base
> IF(1*2 > 0, 2 + 2, 0) - player was on 2nd, so 2+2 = 4, meaning he
> scored
> IF(0*3 > 0, 3 + 2, 0)
>
> Would this work or is it flawed?
>
> THANKS!

I take it these aren't real baseball games. In a real game you need more
information about whether the runner on second scores on a single or
only advances to third base. Suppose the runner scores on an error or a
double-play ball, in which case there's no RBI. How about a fly ball to
the outfield, where the runner on third base may or may not score after
the catch. There are all sorts of possible combinations that may or may
not result in RBI's with a particular pitch outcome.

I think you need an extra item that specifically covers one of more
RBI's. For example, if the batter hits a home run, you need an extra 1,
2, 3, or 4 entry to determine how many runs scored. I suppose you don't
need the one -- if the batter hits a home run at least one run scores.

Bill
0
billsharpe (44)
10/25/2005 12:14:43 AM
The best way to still record RBIs (or any other baseball stats) is t
use the old fashioned scoresheet (same as those used by the T
announcers). It may still be done the old-fahioned manual way but
AFAIK, this is still the most accurate way of recording a basebal
game

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47864

Hi!

>In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
>player will advance only the number of bases of the hit

If that's the case then:

RBI = total bases / 4

So, if you have these entries in a range, A1:O1 -

STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3
SNK-F STR-4 STR-O

Try this array formula entered using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INT(SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1:O1,1)),--RIGHT(A1:O1,1)))/4)

Biff