I have a data table that looks like this:

Code
-------------------

  STR-S	SNK-S	STR-K	STR-F	SNK-S	STR-3	STR-2	STR-F	SNK-S	SNK-4	SNK-S	STR-3	SNK-F	STR-4	STR-O

-------------------

"STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example
The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run,
3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you ge
it.

How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can'
think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas?

THANK YOU!!  :confused

--
AVERAGE(user
AVERAGE(user)'s Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2829

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I think you need more information.

SNK-4
may be a homerun, but how many were on base?

It could be 1 RBI (bases empty) to 4 RBI (bases loaded).

--

Dave Peterson
0
>how many were on base?

Looks like there was a guy on second for the first homerun.

If someone hits a double and that is followed by a sngle does the runner on
second base score?

Good luck with this!

Biff

>I think you need more information.
>
> SNK-4
> may be a homerun, but how many were on base?
>
> It could be 1 RBI (bases empty) to 4 RBI (bases loaded).
>
> "AVERAGE(user)" wrote:
>>
>> I have a data table that looks like this:
>>
>> Code:
>> --------------------
>>
>>   STR-S SNK-S   STR-K   STR-F   SNK-S   STR-3   STR-2   STR-F   SNK-S
>> SNK-4   SNK-S   STR-3   SNK-F   STR-4   STR-O
>>
>> --------------------
>>
>> "STR", etc at the beginning are pitch types, SNK is Sinker for example.
>> The end character is the result of the pitch, a 4 would be a home run, a
>> 3 a triple, and so forth. O is out, F is foul, S is strike --- you get
>> it.
>>
>> How can I figure the amount of RBI's? I know that it's 5, but I can't
>> think of any automated way to calculate this, anyone got any ideas?
>>
>> THANK YOU!!  :confused:
>>
>> --
>> AVERAGE(user)
>> AVERAGE(user)'s Profile:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28294
>> View this thread:
>> http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478641
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
biffinpitt (3172)
10/24/2005 3:24:52 AM
Sometimes.  But if it's an infield hit, probably not.

And the opposite is true, too.  A single followed by a double may score a runner
from first (or maybe not).

--

Dave Peterson
0

In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
player will advance only the number of bases of the hit; so there would
be players on 1st and 3rd. So I need to find a formula to calculate
this, which I'm stumped on. Maybe some of you advanced users know a
way?

I will have to try and change the format if there isn't a way, but I
still need the data to all be in one string, I was thinking like:

STR0102

'STR' is the pitch type
'010' would be who's on base, the first digit would be 1st base, next
would be 2nd, and then 3rd for the third digit
'2' would be the play, a double for example

So I would go through a formula for '010' like:

IF(0*1 > 0, 1 + 2, 0) - 0*1, the 0 would be a 1 if someone was on base
IF(1*2 > 0, 2 + 2, 0) - player was on 2nd, so 2+2 = 4, meaning he
scored
IF(0*3 > 0, 3 + 2, 0)

Would this work or is it flawed?

THANKS!

--

AVERAGE(user) wrote:
> Thanks for your replys,
>
> In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
> player will advance only the number of bases of the hit; so there would
> be players on 1st and 3rd. So I need to find a formula to calculate
> this, which I'm stumped on. Maybe some of you advanced users know a
> way?
>
> I will have to try and change the format if there isn't a way, but I
> still need the data to all be in one string, I was thinking like:
>
> STR0102
>
> 'STR' is the pitch type
> '010' would be who's on base, the first digit would be 1st base, next
> would be 2nd, and then 3rd for the third digit
> '2' would be the play, a double for example
>
> So I would go through a formula for '010' like:
>
> IF(0*1 > 0, 1 + 2, 0) - 0*1, the 0 would be a 1 if someone was on base
> IF(1*2 > 0, 2 + 2, 0) - player was on 2nd, so 2+2 = 4, meaning he
> scored
> IF(0*3 > 0, 3 + 2, 0)
>
> Would this work or is it flawed?
>
> THANKS!

I take it these aren't real baseball games. In a real game you need more
information about whether the runner on second scores on a single or
only advances to third base. Suppose the runner scores on an error or a
double-play ball, in which case there's no RBI. How about a fly ball to
the outfield, where the runner on third base may or may not score after
the catch. There are all sorts of possible combinations that may or may
not result in RBI's with a particular pitch outcome.

I think you need an extra item that specifically covers one of more
RBI's. For example, if the batter hits a home run, you need an extra 1,
2, 3, or 4 entry to determine how many runs scored. I suppose you don't
need the one -- if the batter hits a home run at least one run scores.

Bill
0
billsharpe (44)
10/25/2005 12:14:43 AM
The best way to still record RBIs (or any other baseball stats) is t
use the old fashioned scoresheet (same as those used by the T
announcers). It may still be done the old-fahioned manual way but
AFAIK, this is still the most accurate way of recording a basebal
game

--
BenjieLo

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1101
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=47864

Hi!

>In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
>player will advance only the number of bases of the hit

If that's the case then:

RBI = total bases / 4

So, if you have these entries in a range, A1:O1 -

STR-S SNK-S STR-K STR-F SNK-S STR-3 STR-2 STR-F SNK-S SNK-4 SNK-S STR-3
SNK-F STR-4 STR-O

Try this array formula entered using the key combo of CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER:

=INT(SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(--RIGHT(A1:O1,1)),--RIGHT(A1:O1,1)))/4)

Biff

"AVERAGE (user)" <AVERAGEuser.1xfiia_1130195101.8343@excelforum-nospam.com>
wrote in message

> Thanks for your replys,
>
> In the event that there is a guy on 2nd, and a single is hit, the
> player will advance only the number of bases of the hit; so there would
> be players on 1st and 3rd. So I need to find a formula to calculate
> this, which I'm stumped on. Maybe some of you advanced users know a
> way?
>
> I will have to try and change the format if there isn't a way, but I
> still need the data to all be in one string, I was thinking like:
>
> STR0102
>
> 'STR' is the pitch type
> '010' would be who's on base, the first digit would be 1st base, next
> would be 2nd, and then 3rd for the third digit
> '2' would be the play, a double for example
>
> So I would go through a formula for '010' like:
>
> IF(0*1 > 0, 1 + 2, 0) - 0*1, the 0 would be a 1 if someone was on base
> IF(1*2 > 0, 2 + 2, 0) - player was on 2nd, so 2+2 = 4, meaning he
> scored
> IF(0*3 > 0, 3 + 2, 0)
>
> Would this work or is it flawed?
>
> THANKS!
>

> --
> AVERAGE(user)
> AVERAGE(user)'s Profile:
> http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28294
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478641

0
biffinpitt (3172)

Can't open a Publisher 2K file in Publisher 2002, edit text only .
Why can't I open an existing Publisher 2000 file with Publisher 2002, then make minor text edits and re-save the file in Publisher 2000 without getting the error message, "There is a picture on page 1 that is too large to be converted to previous versions of Publisher." Publisher 2000 did not use compression... PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly When You Insert Picture http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;253973 -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Art Frustrated with Publisher...

Newbie questions
Hi there After many years of using Outlook express I am locking at moving over to Outlook. What I am about to ask has probable been asked a thousand times on the group, but I'm new here so I'm sorry. I am using Outlook 2000 I have run Outlook for the first time and said yes to the default directory where the files are held, thinking that I would be able to change it after like in express, but I can't see how, where or how do I change this directory? I have a main pc and a notebook, don't know if this can be done but can I sync the data between the 2 systems? If ...

Getting class name(MFC)
Hi All, In InitInstance I need a class name but before assigning to m_pMainWnd. InitInstance() { .. .. .. //Here i need a classname to check the instance of the application is not already running // FindWindow(,,) .. .. .. CFileWriteDlg dlg; m_pMainWnd = &dlg; .. .. .. } How should i get the Class name? Thanks and regards Amar See here: http://flounder.com/nomultiples.htm Amar wrote: > //Here i need a classname to check the instance of the application is > not already running > // FindWindow(,,) I like this class for this sort of thing. It's really easy to implem...

upgraded to office pro can't open outlook
I just uninstalled office basic and loaded office xp pro. I have xp media running on my machine. I can't open outlook. every time I try I get the following: Cannot start microsoft outlook. Unable to display the selected folder or item. could not open the item. try again. That is when I try to open outlook from start menu under the explorer icon. If I go to all programs and try to start it that way, I get: Unable to open your default email folders could not open the item try again. I click ok and get: would you like to open your default file system folder instead? I click no it all goes awa...

2 Questions #3
What are some -strategies- to testing formulas? :confused: Please describe the steps to creating a chart. :confused: Thank you! :cool -- shein ----------------------------------------------------------------------- sheiny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1509 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26857 Hi Sheiny If you want to know the correct way to create a chart - these are the steps. Enter ytour data into the cells. Select the data and then click on the Chart Wizard on the Standard Toolbar - (the one w...

can't delete record
I am trying to use a command button on a form to delete the current record displayed on the form. The record has several related fields in other tables, but I believe I have successfully deleted all related records with delete queries. When I run the code DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdDeleteRecord the confirm delete message comes up, and after clicking through it the form goes blank, appearing like a successful deletion. No error messages. However the record is still in the table. In table view there isn’t any problem deleting the record in question i.e. no related records. I’ve tried using a w...

OWA, Can View Folder/Mail, but Cannot Send.. Why ?
When using OWA, I can View my Emails on the company's 5.5 SP4 Exchange Server, I can use Find Name, and it will Search.. But I cannot send an Email, I get a window that pops up and says: "Failed to Send Item" Thanks... my_email@is_private.com (XP User) wrote in news:aFtYb.86583$cE3.30504327 @news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net: > When using OWA, I can View my Emails on > the company's 5.5 SP4 Exchange Server, I can > use Find Name, and it will Search.. > > But I cannot send an Email, I get a window that pops > up and says: "Failed to Send Item&quo...

Capabilities Question
Hi, Being a developer I thought I would go to the source! Sorry if this is a sort of sales question. Do you think the Service module would cater for a Web Design Company job system? We currently use a SharePoint service to do this but like the looks of Dynamics. Core parts of the system should; 1. Jobs Description 2. Time & Cost Management 3. Job Status (New, Awaiting Customer, etc) 4. Reporting 5. Task logging etc 6. Maintenance Contracts (Ie Pay $x up front and service times deducted from allowance) Do you think Dynamics can handle this and would I need to mod it? Thank...

FRx question-selecting amount from account
I have the following account in my report with the following data: W-TOC-3850- -US 1/29 (3,520.00) 1/30 (261.84) I only want the 1/30 amount to show up in the report. How would I set that in the row area (or would it be set in the row area)? Thanks for all help in advance. -- Dave Christman System Developer On Mar 22, 10:59=A0am, Dave Christman <DaveChrist...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have the following account in my report with the following data: > W-TOC-3850- =A0 -US > 1/29 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0(3,520.00) > 1/30 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A...

Can't print web documents
If I open a document from, say, http://www.domain.com/document.xls, using the address field in Outlook's Web toolbar, print is not available. Open the same document in Internet Explorer and print is a viable option. This happens with any Office document. However, print feature works fine with any other type of documents - .pdf files work with no problems. Any suggestions? ...

How do you sen the email at outlook ? I can't find the word send
That seems a pretty basic requirement for the application... File-->New-->Email Message or CTRL-N Send button should be top left. "OP" <OP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C5D011FC-369A-4A4C-86B1-A82CCF8F43D3@microsoft.com... > OP <OP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: <nothing> Ask your queston in the body of the message, including exactly what you're trying, your version of Outlook, and account type. It appears you have not configured Outlook with a mail account. -- Brian Tillman ...

Quick Formula Question
Dear Excel 2003 users, I have a user in the field that likes to start formulas with a plus sign (becasue she uses a numeric keypad without an equal sign). Sometimes the formulas work, sometimes they do not. Here is an example: she enters +150/2 she could get: =150/2 or 75 Why does Excel sometimes run an immediate result on the entry and sometimes convert it to a proper formula (which is the desired result)? Thanks! Kevin Any chance she's hitting F9 after entering the formula (but before the enter key)? Or is there any chance she has a helpful macro that's jumping in where i...

Can't open excel or word documents (says insert sm bus cd?)
I have been running Windows XP for over a year without a problem, but now I can not open any of my Excel or Word or Outlook documents because it says that I need to insert my small business cd. I don't have that cd. This has happened once before and I just used my system restore function and it was fine, but that won't even work this time. HELP!! ~~Angela @ angela27@iglide.net ...

TILE can help you to edit RMS or POS 2009 items in seconds
TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. With TILE, you will simply open your RMS records in a grid-like view (as we have in MS-Excel), quickly apply one or more filters, use your mouse to select the records, right-click, enter the desired value and update. All 100 records will be updated in a flash! For details, visit: http://www.24sevencart.com/tile.htm On Apr 22, 4:55=A0pm, Mark Antonio <antonio.mark...@gmail.com> wrote: > TILE can make the task of record editing and updating extremely easy. > With TILE, you will simply open your RMS recor...

Credit card charge can not be voided
Hello. I am running Franchise nail salon business. We tried to void service charge made couple days ago but I was not able to do it. It does void transaction in the system but it did not give the authorization number. According to bank, I can not void the transaction that already batched but I did that for couple years. Did credit card law changed or something? Bank told us to return instaed of void but I couldnt make return because it is non inventory item. Is there anyway I can give money back to customer? Please be advised. Thank you. Voids can only be done on the same day that the charge ...

Can not open attachments in Outlook Express 2000
After downloading the most current Windows security patches Outlook Express now blocks any attachments including documents with .doc extensions. How can I go back to the way it was before the patch? Click on tools, options, security, then remove the check mark next to Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus. HTH Gavin... "Bobbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2cb401c42883$95e2c4b0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > After downloading the most current Windows security > patches Outlook Express now blocks any a...

get warning office live add-in sign-in stopped working
Whenever I come out of any of the microsoft office programs, word, excel etc., I get a message box stating "Microsoft Office Live Add-in Sign-in has stopped working". Nothing seems amiss when I use office. Can anyone help as to why I get this message. Have you tried uninstalling the add-in via Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Swift" <Swift@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8E480EF-DA3E-4FEA-90C7-5B702FF67C6A@microsoft.com... > Whenever I come out of any of the microsoft office pr...

IMF Content Filter question.
All email comes through our Email Gateway Appliance named IronPort. It then forwards the email to our front end servers where IMF is then applied. Some emails from our Remedy Ticketing system are getting caught by IMF with an scl rating of 7. I tried adding the IP address to the Accept list on the content filter tab but it is not working. Is it because the email is being forwarded from our IronPort system and that's the Sending IP it's looking at??? Here's a portion of the header. the 192 address is the one I would like to allow. It would be nice if I could use an email ad...

Font question
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3340869347_6249885 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I�ve downloaded a new font onto my system and I get it to show up everywhere except in Entourage, do I need to do something special to be able to use it for e-mails? --B_3340869347_6249885 Content-type: text/html; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable <HTML> <HEAD> <T...

Question about AutoUpdaterFE
I am using AutoUpdater FE by Tony Toews and everything seemed to be going just like I thought it should...until today. Here is my understanding of how this whole thing works. When you launch Auto Updater FE it checks the server to see if a newer version is available. If so, it copies the new version to the user's workstation and then launches the new version from that workstation. If no new version exists on the server, AutoUpdater just launches the existing version. Somehow while working on a new version of my database frontend, I seem to have modified the version on the server. D...

Installed first Ex2003 server in 5.5 site, mail enabled PF getting messages stuck in queue
I have installed our first Ex2003 server to begin our migration. I have used pfmigrate to confim that I have a replica of all public folders on the new server. I have three mail enabled PF's for mailing lists. All of the mail for those lists is getting stuck in the local delivery queue on the new Exchange 2003 server and not delivered to the public folders. The mail is still being received by the Exchange 5.5 IMC. I do not see any errors in the event logs for either the Exchange 5.5 server or the 2003 server. Any ideas on where to look next to resolve this would be most helpful. This is l...

get mails when user makes space in inbox
How can i configure exchage, so that messages to a user whose mailbox is full, will be stored in the server till he frees up his mailbox with some space. Do not set "Prohibit send and receive" storage limit. miza wrote: > How can i configure exchage, so that messages to a user whose mailbox is > full, will be stored in the server till he frees up his mailbox with some > space. ...

Can't enter new transactions
Please help...I can't enter new withdrawals..I get the message "This transaction cannot be entered" Haven't changed any settings just started with this message today. In microsoft.public.money, Diane wrote: >Please help...I can't enter new withdrawals..I get the message "This >transaction cannot be entered" Haven't changed any settings just started >with this message today. Make a repaired version of your file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2. If that does not do it, restore a backup that predates the problem. ...

DATAMAP question
Hello! I have a question about DADAMAP. This program exist in EXCEL 97 but no in EXCEL 2003, isn't it? Thanks. Excel 2002 and Excel 2003 don't include the map tool. (Microsoft now sells a separate mapping program named MapPoint.) However, if you still have your Excel 97 or Excel 2000 disks, you can try the tip on this page: Getting What's Missing in Excel 2002 http://www.winplanet.com/winplanet/tips/3997/1/ anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > Hello! > > I have a question about DADAMAP. This program exist in > EXCEL 97 but no in EXCEL 2003, is...

SQL apostrophe question
i have an insert into SQL issue where a user may be using an apostrophe and it's messing with the SQL. here's the code: strSQL = "insert into tblNewoptions (optiondesc, optionCode, AllocGroup) values('" & Me.txtboxOption & "'" & ", '" & Me.txtboxOptionCode & "'" & ", '" & Me.txtboxAllocGroup & "')" and here's the debug.print line from it: insert into tblNewoptions (optiondesc, optionCode, AllocGroup) values('Power Driver's Seat', 'AE8', '12...