Average- Expanding column length

I have a range of data from A16 to K??.
In cell A15 I have a COUNTA function which returns the number of rows of
data (the range is continually being added to).

In F10 I would like to have an average function for the numeric values in
the Range(F16:F(whatever the COUNTA value is)+15). How can I do this?

Thanks
Sandy

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

One way:

    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(F16,,,A15,1))

In article <uLoqtwA4HHA.2108@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
 "Sandy" <sandy_stephen@DELETEhotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a range of data from A16 to K??.
> In cell A15 I have a COUNTA function which returns the number of rows of
> data (the range is continually being added to).
>
> In F10 I would like to have an average function for the numeric values in
> the Range(F16:F(whatever the COUNTA value is)+15). How can I do this?
>
> Thanks
> Sandy
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/16/2007 1:58:31 PM
Thank you - simpler than I was expecting.
Sandy

"JE McGimpsey" <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote in message
> One way:
>
>    =AVERAGE(OFFSET(F16,,,A15,1))
>
> In article <uLoqtwA4HHA.2108@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>,
> "Sandy" <sandy_stephen@DELETEhotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a range of data from A16 to K??.
>> In cell A15 I have a COUNTA function which returns the number of rows of
>> data (the range is continually being added to).
>>
>> In F10 I would like to have an average function for the numeric values in
>> the Range(F16:F(whatever the COUNTA value is)+15). How can I do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sandy

Vlookup with variable column reference
Help! I am trying to link two workbooks with a vlookup that searches for the last populated columns' entry in a range (see example below). 27/03 28/03 29/03 30/03 31/03 Data 6 4 Is there a way of doing this in a function? In a macro I would use the Range().End(xltoleft) code but I cannot figure out how to do something similar in a worksheet function. I basically want the lookup column to start at day 31 and make its way backwards until it finds a value. Another issue is that the seemingly blank cells contain formula - ie. not empty. Any ideas? Thanks!! Jen 1 ...

variable column names in a report
i have an application where the user can enter self selected column names which then in turn are added to a table... application works fine. however, when it comes to reporting, how do i go about adding those self entered columns in a report? any help would be appreciated Do you actually need this in a report or can the results be pushed to Excel for printing? -- Duane Hookom MS Access MVP Help me support UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.htm "k2sarah" <k2sarah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C56B6FD1-2F5B-45D5-8760-A61E3CA41495@microsoft.c...

Reporting an Average
How do I average the field “Minutes” from the query “qryUrban” and display the average in a report? I would like to find the (mean) average, but I have no experience with the AVG function. Thanks -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com pushrodengine via AccessMonster.com wrote: >How do I average the field �Minutes� from the query �qryUrban� and display >the average in a report? > >I would like to find the (mean) average, but I have no experience with the >AVG function. Without seeing your query, if the query is the report's record source and if the Minute...

Hide Cell Content if no data in previous columns
I've made this work many years ago but now can't remember how. I have a job invoice to where the rate is 40.00/hour. This 40.00 is used in calculation to determine the total amount of pay owed. (20 hours worked * 40.00/hour). The boss requires that the hourly rate be shown for each job on the invoice, so that means it is in a column to where the amount is repeated all the way down. All I want is for the contents of that particular column NOT to show (show as blank), if no job has been entered. In other words, if there is no data entered on that particular row, hide the cont...

Copy one Column Across One Row
Hey guys, I would like to take one column of data and copy it across one row., so, I want the data to go left to right across the spreadsheet instead of top to bottom. If you have a suggestion to solve this, macro or whatever, could you please email it to me at: krea@dslextreme.com thanks, kevin rea Kevin If the column contains no more than 255 rows of data(256 if you are pasting below row 256) you can copy it and select B1 and Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:23:46 -0700, <krea@dslextreme.com> wrote: >Hey guys, > &g...

How do I stop expanding cells in excel
I have a file that when opened on a Mac, the cells expand to a larger box when you select one for data entry. Can anyone tell me how to turn this feature off? Thanks Eric Hi Eric- AFAIK there is no 'standard' setting in XL (either platform) that causes cells to expand simply because you click one. Can you supply more specifics about XL & OS versions, as well as how the file is being transported from one to the other? Regards |:>) "Diverej" wrote: > I have a file that when opened on a Mac, the cells expand to a larger box > when you select one for data...

Is there code to export to standard fixed length text file?
I can do this manually but it's more than a couple clicks. I'd like to automate this from the MDB that I can call from my C# process call or an OLE call. Thanks much! AFAIK the choices are: 1) write code in your C# application that opens a recordset, assembles the fixed-length records and writes them to a text file. 2) use the Jet Text ISAM to write the file, either by automating Access or by writing to the DAO library. Either way you'll need to provide a schema for the text file. The options are an Access import/export specification stored in the mdb file, or a schema.ini f...

Remove Publisher's 255-character limit on merge field length
How frustrating to fight with Publisher and Access to get a catalog merge working, and then only at the very end of the process be notified that my memo field will be truncated to 255 characters. This should be documented in bright blinking letters in the merge help. Better yet, just make the thing work as a user will expect, and not limit the length. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,...

Totals in Stacked Column?
I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. Never mind - Andy Pope's website had the answer. "EllenM" wrote: > I can't display the totals in a stacked column chart. I'm trying to show the > total amounts for each column but the data labels only apply to each series. ...

Fitting lengths into a longer length #2
Bernie Thanks for the help but I don't have you e-mail address to send you on to. If you send me your email by private message (if you don't want you e-mail displayed) I will email you. Thanks Mat -- Chise ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Chisel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=935 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26637 Chisel, Reply to this message, and edit the email address by taking out spaces and changing the dot to a . in my address, which is deitbe @ co...

Creating Labels, Missing Column
I'm trying to create address labels. In my file I have the columns for "Street Address", "City", "State", "Zip Code" and "Country". The street address does not show up in the window to select what info I want on the label. Anyone know how to fix this??? Hi In your table you "may" have IDfield, 1stName, 2ndName, Street Address, City, State, Zip Code and Country. Create a query based on the table. Bring all the fields in the query and create a calculted culumn with something like Capital: Left([1stName],1) Create a new re...

Clustered column graph with mixed data in 2nd column
I'm trying to create a clustered column graph with mixed data in the 2nd column and I cannot find a way to do it. Any suggestions? What's "mixed data"? Do you mean you want to build a stacked column for the second column in the cluster? If so, look here: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - http://PeltierTech.com _______ "drhatt" <drhatt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:648BC5CE-4DE9-433C-A824-325B6995D...

How to update a portion of rows and columns between two files
I have a Master file with 20 columns of data for each of approximately 700 rows. Each month, I receive an update file that I need to use to update 10 columns of data for 3/4 of the rows in my Master file. There is a unique identifier in each file. Not all rows in the update file will be copied into the Master file and not all rows in the Master file will have updates. What is the best way to do this? I am familiar with VLookup. Shall I write aVLookup for each of the 10 columns in each row that need to be replaced so that I can grab the cell from the new file? Or, is there an easier way? ...

Columns on wrong side
When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Excel on the right side of the sheets, meaning it looks like this: P-O-N-M-L-K-J-I-H-G-F-E-D-C-B-A How do I change it to look the normal way from left to right when I open a new book in excel? Hi Seems you have set Excel to read from Right to Left - as is done in Arabic language. To set it right Go to menu Tools->Options Choose the International Tab In Right-to-Left Default direction choose Left-to-Right The order of column will be A-B ... Regards Sukhjeet "Drew" wrote: > When I open a book in excel, why is column A in Exce...

how do i expand and collapse rows
I need to expand and collapse ROWS, I want main info seen and rows below it collapsed so I can expand as needed, How do i do that?? i keep trying but it's not working out very well! >>i keep trying but it's not working out very well! ?? -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "office wreck!" <office wreck!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F406B2CA-EEA3-4C29-98E7-2A4C22895C3B@microsoft.com... >I need to expand and collapse ROWS, I want main info seen and rows below it > collapsed so I can expand as n...

Checkbox column #2
Hi, How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? Regards Bo "Bo Rasmussen" <krogenlund@hotmail.com> wrote in news:OtsOMgl6DHA.3648 @TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl: > How do I create a checkbox column to contain boolean values ? > Excel doesn't support this directly. To get a checkbox you need to use VBA Forms or OLE controls, create a bunch of checkboxes, then link them to the cells. Check out View/Toolbars/Forms and View/Toolbars/Control Toolbox. Could you describe in more detail what you're looking for? -- My email address has an extra @ (s...

Wrapping text in column
In Excell 2007, how do you set a column to wrap text? I tried it and even though it seems to allow me to do it when I select column and check wrap text from Format Cells, it doesn't work. It only works when I select one cell and select wrap text. This is a bit irritating as I have many cells in a column to do this to. Thanks, Tom I find that this happens when I paste from Word. If I have the fields set as Vertical/Top and Wrap Text - then I paste any data from Word, it goes to Vertical/Bottom and NOT wrap text. If I paste data from my Textpad program that spans multiple line...

How do I make multi column stacked graphs in Excel
-- Ed Hi, See the links on Jon's page for Cluster Stacked charts. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/ClusterStack.html Cheers Andy Ed B wrote: ...

Subtotaling on column with IF statement results
I created a spreadsheet with one column having an IF statement - it calculates how much we should re-order per store based on what was sold. I asked it to subtotal for each store - the formula appears in the cell, but it does not calculate the subtotal. I tried saving the column as the values, but it still does not subtotal. When I typed in the numbers, it DID subtotal. What do I need to do so it will subtotal? Thanks for your help. -- STK By any chance are you importing the data from another application? Check out your numbers: does the cell contain an apostrophe and then the numb...

Lines Between Columns
Publisher 2003 I have a newsletter page that is formatted to be double column. I want to place a 0.5 point line between the columns. Right clicking within the double columns then clicking on format text box>colors and lines then clicking the box in preview that is for the center line only nothing happens to the menu on the left. The "dashed", "style" and "weight " boxes are grayed out. Out of the six boxes shown there, the only two that activate the above quoted boxes are the two on the right of the bottom row (frame and frame with line down the middle). I ...

Footer Average
I would like to average two columns in a footer: [Number_of_Calls] and [Sales] =Sum([Number_of_Calls) works in the footer but =ave([sales%]) does not. It gives me an average of an average... I just need a true average of the data. I also used the following but they don't work =Sum([Number_of_Calls])/[Sales]) and... =([Text23]/Text24]) Text 23 represents =Sum([Number_of-Calls]) and Text 24 represents =Sum([Sales]). These function are entered in the footer of the report... Any suggestions? Mike "Do the math" in your footer, rather than trying to use calculated contro...

stop returning column headings from DB query
I put together a query to go against Oracle that returns a block of data to the spreadsheet. Is there an option somewhere to have the "Return Data to Excel" do so without also returning the column headings? I want the data only. thanks - Russ There are 2 places that you can change that setting..... 1)When you return data from MS Query the dialog where you select the location for the data has a Properties button. Click that button UNcheck: Include Field Names.......click [OK] Continue selecting the query destination OR 2)After the data has been pulled from Oracle Right-click...

Incrementing/decrementing column characters using only worksheet functions?
How can I increment and decrement column characters/letters using worksheet functions? I have a list of 5 characters corresponding to columns. The first character might be A, for column 1. How can I get the second character in the list to automatically configure itself to be B, the third C, the fourth D and the fifth E? That is, I want to set this up so that the second character is linked to the first, the third to the second and so on. That way if I change the first character from A to D then the second character in the list will automatically become E, the third will change to F, the f...

Locking rows (not columns)?
Hi I download and store my bank statements in an Excel spreadsheet. This is maintained in conventional 'bank statement' format; ie columns for date, payee, amount, account balance, with one statement entry per row in chronological order. I find it very useful to be able manipulate the spreadsheet eg by sorting alphabetically by payee, so I can easily see all payments made to a particular company grouped together. However, it's very easy to use the 'sort' function incorrectly, so that the date/payee/amount columns become completely dissociated from each other, and if some...

Excel 1997 Formula Box length
I have a summary file that has 15 links to 7 files in a single cell. When all the files that are being linked to are open, there is no problem. When just the summary file is open however, the formula box displays the entire path and filename which gets quite lengthy. In Excel 1997, the formula box cuts off after 1,054 characters I believe, so some of the links get cut off in the formula box. However it does appear Excel maintains the links as long as no changes are made. (Changes can be made safely with all linked files open) The end result is I'm not sure how much faith I can have tha...