Automatically enter current date in cell.

Hello,

I have a column in my spreadsheet, which should always have current
date mentioned in it.

When a user adds a new row to a spreadsheet, I want current-date
(MM/DD/YYYY) to be automatically entered in the cell, just by tabbing
over the cell.

In general, how can we specify default values for a column (i mean,
values which EXCEL will automatically generate if user chooses not to
update the cell)

Thanks for the help.
0
mail_ssb (3)
8/16/2004 1:39:18 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

take a look at

In article <de8e098d.0408160539.2eed5558@posting.google.com>,
 mail_ssb@yahoo.com (ssb) wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a column in my spreadsheet, which should always have current
> date mentioned in it.
>
> When a user adds a new row to a spreadsheet, I want current-date
> (MM/DD/YYYY) to be automatically entered in the cell, just by tabbing
> over the cell.
>
> In general, how can we specify default values for a column (i mean,
> values which EXCEL will automatically generate if user chooses not to
> update the cell)
>
> Thanks for the help.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Automatic Updates and System Restore failure after installing SP3, XP Pro
1. I installed SP3 successfully, but the installation process got stuck on the �Initializing installation�. 2. I did the Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144. Nothing changed. 3. I did the Method 2: Download and install the Windows Update Agent. It didn�t fix the automatic update process. When I tried to do manual update I got �Access denied� error. The System Restore stopped working, as well as Search for files and folders. They ware marked as Not Responding in Windows Task Manager. 4. I ran WindowsUpdateAgent30-...

Why does viewing a MDB file change the modified date?
This has probably been asked many times before but I haven't come up with anything on google. Why does opening/viewing a MDB file change the modified date? This implications as far as our backup stratgey goes. Thanks. On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 01:32:51 GMT, wawork@hotmail.com (Randy K) wrote: >This has probably been asked many times before but I haven't come up >with anything on google. Why does opening/viewing a MDB file change >the modified date? This implications as far as our backup stratgey >goes. > >Thanks. The detailed "why" would require inside...

Looking for cells containing numbers
Hi, in a column with cells containing either text or numbers I have to exclude those with text in an arithmetic formula as is runs through the whole column, hence avoiding an error as a result when reading text cells. A cloumn holding an intermediate result of the reading as "0" or "1" or something will be just fine. How to? Cheers, Thorkild You might be thinking of something like this ? Assuming the col with text/numbers is col A, A1 down Put in B1: =IF(ISTEXT(A1),0,A1) Copy B1 down Then use col B instead of col A for downstream calcs -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, ...

Appen " ' " to all cells
I need to import my 'excel based' contact list into Outlook2003. However, to do this the character ' needs to be appended to all cells if Outlook has to read the data. Any idea on how to do this? Regards Hi Try entering in another column to the right of all of your contact fields ="'"&A1 where A is the column you wish to change. Change letter for each successive column you need to alter. Copy down the column(s) Copy the whole range of new Data >Paste Special>Values to "fix" the values as absolute values instead of formulae. You did say a...

auto date: cond. format Question
have code for auto date entered to cells, but need to tweak conditional format to change color for new item today, tried "=" sign, <now(), but can't get. using: =IF(AF9="","",(AF9+AF$7)<TODAY()) to get x day old change color 1. trying to flip to get to change color if new today 2. is there a way to exclude weekends (sat/sun) in x days old, for conditional format, so don't have to use absolute cell, to switch from 1 to 3 days?. thanks in advance. ...

Unwanted excel conversion text to dates
I am copying an HTML table from a web page into excel when a series of internal phone extension is being translated into dates ( 5-4357 becomes May 4357 for example). I have tried to format the cells as text prior to the copy, I have tried to use the paste special feature but it is unavailable because of I am cutting and pasting from another app. I turned off calculations on the sheet hoping that the paste operation would not screw-up the data but that didn't work either. Any suggestions how I can do this without having to resort to some other application to clean up the data first ? ...

I need to have my graph automatically update...
I have a workbook with about 10 different sheets. Each sheet is linked to a main stats sheet. From there, an average for each stat is calculated. From the averaged calculation I have created a pie chart. What I want to do is have the pie chart update everytime I update one of the 10 data pages. Unfortuntately, the program only suggests that I write the new value in the specific cell that is used in the pie chart, then press "enter." If I do that, I lose the formula that has it update automatically. Is my request even possible???!!!! Any and all suggestions will be greatly ap...

System Date Wrong Format
Hello, I just did a new install of GP onto my desktop and the date format is different from the date format on my laptop. On my laptop, and on 95% of the company's systems, the date is displayed as MM/DD/YYYY. However, on this new install, and on another user's laptop, the date is displaying as DD MM YY. Any idea how to change this? I've looked through a bunch of settings, but didn't see anything. I also double checked the system date on my laptop and PC and they're the same. Any ideas? Thanks so much for your help! Alyssa I don't know if this is what'...

How do I automatically save incoming contact details?
I'm using Office 2003 and in particular OUTLOOK. In my time with Outlook Express there was a facility which automatically saved a senders email address in the Address Book but I can't find a similar function in Outlook.How do I address this problem? Surely you jest. I can't imagine anyone would want to save senders addresses automatically. Mercifully, no such feature exists. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bigredpilot" <Bigredpilot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:341B2ED9-4B00-48ED-8E48-C8B9E536F092@microsoft.com... > I'm using Office ...

XL 2k
In Excel 2000 numbers in having over 15 digits in a cell results in each digit from 16 on turn into zeros (0). How can I enter numbers over 15 digits? XL only calculates to 15 digit precision! To enter numbers larger then 15 digits, that will *not* be used for calculation (credit card #'s - part #'s), you can enter an apostrophe ( ' ) first, which will not display in the cell, but will be visible in the formula bar. On a larger basis, simply *pre-format* the column to "Text". Changing the format to "Text" *after* entering the long numbers will *not* work....

Populating Cells from a delimited string
Hi I am trying to fill the values parsed from a delimited string on t Excel Spread sheet. Being relatively new to VBA programming, I woul appreciate it if someone would tell me how to populate the cells in spread sheet with the values parsed from the string. Thanks - -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com HI, assuming you have ABC-123-Done in cell A1 for example, the following code will parse out ABC, 123, Done and put in C1, C2, C3. Play with it to expand capabilities to do what you need. (I know it's not sophisticated, but it's a start) Sub ParseIt() Dim StrToParse A...

Help
My boss will have my head if I don't figure this one out tonight. He wants the text from the document (which can be long in some cases) embedded in the cell - does not want the floating document. is there any way to do this? And if so, is it a case of cut and paste each individual document? There are about 70 of them. Thank you! i dont know how long your documents are but i tried pasting some words into a cell which didnt work very well.Paste them straight into the formula bar.My sample was only 1016 characters including spaces.4056 characters worked too -- paul remove nospam for...

copy and paste named cells
Is there a way to copy a whole sheet. Then paste it into a new sheet. Including the named cells and values? in paste special? or somewhere else? thanks Copy to the same workbook: Click on the tag of the source worksheet; hold CTRL; drag the tab to the new position Copy to another workbook Use Windows | View | Arrange so bat workbooks can be seen Use the technique above best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "greg" <iuouh@ghfhg.com> wrote in message news:%23jjKpeLzIHA.2220@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... >...

how to sum cells that already have formulas
I am using a lookup formula thats retrieves information from a list on a different sheet. The RESULT i am getting is working. But when I try to use a simple adding formula in another cell to add my RESULTS together I get an error (VALUE!) Can anyone help? It sounds like the data you're returning is really text. I think I'd try changing the base data to real numbers. If you want to try, one quick way is to copy an empty cell select your range to convert edit|paste special|check Add Now '123 will be 123 (text vs numbers). And your formula that adds should work ok. Nigel Let...

how can i automatically insert cell values into a comment field?
am trying to insert specific (other) cell values into another cell comment field. Pretty general question. If it's only one cell, copy the value and insert/edit the other cell's comment and paste. If it's lots of cells, you could use a macro. But since you didn't give any real details, here's a pretty generic userdefined function that might help you: Option Explicit Function CopyValToComment(FCell As Range, TCell As Range) Application.Volatile If TCell.Comment Is Nothing Then 'do nothing Else TCell.Comment.Delete End If T...

Trouble with Cell/Worksheet Protection...
I have a file with an input sheet where all cells are protected except for the few that require user input. When I am in this input sheet, the <CTRL>-Page-Down(and Up) keys do not work properly. Instead of moving to the next worksheet it scrolls to the right (or left) in the input sheet. Is this problem due to the cell protection in this sheet (it works properly in other sheets that are not protected in the same file)? If so, is there a way to correct this? Thanks! ...

A chart that allows for new data to be entered
I have a set of data that I need to put into a simple line graph. need the chart to recognize and add new data points into its data se as I enter the new values. I have tried to extend the data range by another 40-50 empty cells s that they will automatically be included when data is entered. Th graph keeps coming up basically blank. If anyone knows a fix for this, please let me know. Thanks, Wil -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Will - You can set up a dynamic chart, based on a dynamic range that updates as data is added. For a few examples and a lot of links, check ...

Syntax to set cells to be zero
Actually i have created a button for retreiving teh data (numerical figure) from one worksheet to another worksheet but that requires some addition and subtraction on the original value. I now would like to make every "to be filled cells" to be "zero" which can help me to do the subtraction later on. So I wonder if there is anyone can teach me some the syntax for that operation. ( i would like to make a button to set those cells zero first) Anyone please help! Good morning, Chermaine- Just to make sure I understand: you have a "Source" spreadsheet, and you'...

Excel should merge cells without removing content of any cell
In MS Excel, when we merge cells, content of only one cell exists. But is MS word, in a table, we can merger any number of cells without removing content of any cell. If this feature is dependant on certain settings, please let me know. Otherwise, it will be good to introduce this functionality in MS Excel also. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion...

Automatically sorting names alphabetically.
Hello, I may be asking for to much on this one! I have a list of names in a column, they are in column B2 on up to B90. I know how to select the entire column B and then hit the sort "A-Z" button to sort alphabetically. What I would like to know is if there is a way to automatically sort a name alphabetically after typing it into the next availabel cell, B91. For example, if cell B90 is filled with a name and I enter a new name into B91 and hit enter I want this new name to automatically alphabetize itself throughout the entire B2 through B91 column. This list will be continually a...

validation of cells
Hi!!! I'd like limit value of cells. I want that the cells contain only 1 or 0. How can I do this? Zanks. ARdn "ArDn" <ArDn@NOSPAMono.com> wrote in message news:Upzjb.54556$FN3.3813198@news.ono.com... > Hi!!! I'd like limit value of cells. I want that the cells contain only 1 or > 0. How can I do this? Select the cell or range. From the Data menu, choose Validation. Settings - Allow whole number between 0 and 1. Tim Why Tablet PC? see http://www.itwriting.com/tablet.php I've tried that but the sheet is protected., so ... "Tim Anderson" &...

How do you automatically forward recurring email?
I receive a weekly email, but would like to have it instantly and automatically copied (forwarded) to another email address, without my interference. Is there a way of automatically sharing a specifically marked email with another contact? Right-click one of these messages, choose Create Rule, and follow the prompts to create a new Rules Wizard rule with a forwarding action. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/article.aspx?id=54 "Card Scanner&q...

Excel calculate the z factor automatically
How do Excel calculate the z factor automatically EggHeadCafe - .NET Developer Portal of Choice http://www.eggheadcafe.com ...

can I automatically insert a page break after subtotals in Excel?
Trying to take a large sheet of data, subtotal and print separate sheet for each subtotaled group without manually inserting page break before printing. Using Excel 2002. thanks Hi Teri when you do your subtotals, check the box for inserting a page break between groups "Teri" wrote: > Trying to take a large sheet of data, subtotal and print separate sheet for > each subtotaled group without manually inserting page break before printing. > Using Excel 2002. thanks ...

Splitting Date and time field
Hello I have a general date field which stores both date and time. Is there a way I can split the two for a query? Many thanks Use the DateValue and TimeValue functions. -- Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP http://I.Am/DougSteele (no e-mails, please!) "Hicksy" <Hicksy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:74942CE3-7829-44FD-A0A1-B603069BF5B0@microsoft.com... > Hello > > I have a general date field which stores both date and time. > Is there a way I can split the two for a query? > > Many thanks > Could you explain how as i have tried...