Autofilter Wildcards Not Working on Number Column

Hello everyone...n00b question.

I'm using Excel 2003 to split up a daily spreadsheet between me and 2
of my peers. We split the orders based on the last 2 characters of the
order. The orders are all 7 digits and all numerical. Exp... 3215453.
For example... my number range is 00-33.

Every morning I have to scroll through the spreadsheet and manually
select my orders to obtain my daily workload, which can take up to 40
minutes. I tried using auto-filter with wildcards * & ?, but they
don't work. I'm typing my custom filter values as follows ?????33 and
*33, but they don't work. Are they supposed to work on numbers?

There has to be an easier way... please assist.

Thanks in advance!!

Javier Cortes

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Do you have to post in all newsgroups? Multiposting is considered really bad
in these groups (in all newsgroups).

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"soke2001" <jay.cortes@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone...n00b question.
>
> I'm using Excel 2003 to split up a daily spreadsheet between me and 2
> of my peers. We split the orders based on the last 2 characters of the
> order. The orders are all 7 digits and all numerical. Exp... 3215453.
> For example... my number range is 00-33.
>
> Every morning I have to scroll through the spreadsheet and manually
> select my orders to obtain my daily workload, which can take up to 40
> minutes. I tried using auto-filter with wildcards * & ?, but they
> don't work. I'm typing my custom filter values as follows ?????33 and
> *33, but they don't work. Are they supposed to work on numbers?
>
> There has to be an easier way... please assist.
>
> Thanks in advance!!
>
> Javier Cortes

0
terre081 (3244)

Macro for Autofiltering certain dates
Code below: Summary per month is in column A, the month and year are in columns B and C respectively. in row 1 (columns H and I) I have the =DATE function to say what month it is. Using these variables I wish to autofilter the A:C column data for the latest month so I can present the latest column A number. I need the data criteria to check the latest A:C data has been imported for that month. Sub Macro3() ' Dim Retail Dim Retailtest Set Retail = Workbooks.Open("N:\mis\EXCEL\EoM\DW-Reports \Retailfigure.csv") Set Retailtest = Workbooks.Open("N:\mis\EX...

labeling work sheet tabs pls.help
HI I would like to know if I can label the tabs of the work sheet with a date then the next sheet seven days later, then is there a autocomplete or some way of labeling 50 more worksheet without having to typw them all by hand. like draging the days of the week or months of the year in the rows of a sheet. thanks for the help steve Steve You received several options yesterday. Are you not seeing the replies to your posts? If not, this one is a waste of time<g> Google search results here....... http://snurl.com/1uay Gord Dibben Excel MVP - XL97 SR2 & XL2002 On Sat, 19 J...

number formatted cell
If I am typing in 19 numbers in a cell (that has been formatted to number) to keep track of account numbers, it puts zeroes at the end and only 15 numbers are showing. If I go into another cell and choose text first before typing and then type my numbers you can see all the numbers, but when I try to go and change the number formatted cell to text the number still does not change unless I retype the number. Is this the way this works? yes excel only keeps track of the first 15 digits in a number, if you entered more digits as a number,they are now lost. "Pam Coleman" wrote...

Round up to next half number
I am trying to round up a number to what I recall from school days to be "correct to the nearest half". In other words, if the cell value is between 3.01 and 3.49 I want to round it to 3.5. If the cell value is 3.5 to 3.99 I want it rounded to 4.0 I have managed to round up and down to the nearest whole number but can't figure out how to get it to the nearest half! Can anyone help, please? RMB How's this =ROUNDUP(A1*2,0)/2 best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "rmb4253" <rmb4253@discussions.microsoft.com>...

Repost: cmdSwitchView doesn't work in 2002
My database has a search module that can retrieve multiple records based on specified criteria. If multiple records are retrieved, they are displayed in a subform in datasheet view. User can then click cmdSwitchView to view additional info in form view of a selected record then toggle back to datasheet view to see more records. Command has worked beautifully for 4 years in Access 97; won't work in Access 2002 conversion. When user selects a record in datasheet view, all records disappear. Code = DoCmd.Maximize Me![frmSearchSubformNew].SetFocus DoCmd.DoMenuItem A_FORMBAR, 2, 3 Tr...

Forwarding Rules don't work....
Hi all.. I've observed some bizarre behavior with outlook 2002. I have a rule to forward e-mail to an external account.. Here is the bizarre behavior 1. The rule won't work unless you run it manually 2. Even when the rule works, mail doesn't get forwarded to the external account A. You can even observe the mail going to the outbox.. B. A copy of the forwarded message is placed in my "Sent Items" folder, but it still doesn't arrive ...

Help on Stacked column graph
Hi, with the following group of data 1 2 3 4 a 10 10 30 5 b 30 5 32 42 c 10 12 15 28 I want to have a graph with 2 column s for each letter, one with the value of column 1 and another one with the sum of columns 2, 3 & 4 with different color for each value. I've seen that is possible in some built in graph but not sure how to make it Thanks -- Alvaro Alvaro wrote: > Hi, > > with the following group of data > 1 2 3 4 > a 10 10 30 5 > b 30 5 32 42 > c 10 12 15 28 > > I want to have a graph with 2 column s for each letter, one with the value > of ...

adding largest numbers
I want to add the largest five numbers in a range, which will change daily. I have put a condition on to highlight the top five and that is working. I don't know how to add the largest five numbers since the largest 5 numbers will change from cell to cell daily. I am assuming you would use a SUMIF, then range, but how do you write a critieria for the largest five numbers? Thanks for helping a beginner. Try this, =SUMPRODUCT(LARGE(A1:A100,{1,2,3,4,5})) HTH Regards, Howard "nrbrtsn" <nrbrtsn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5E0744A0-...

exmerge not working on some mailboxes
Hi All please help ive run exmerge on my exchange server, it works for most mailboxes but always fails on 2. the accounts are not disabled in any way. the administrator has full access to the mailbox etc. its exactly the same as all other mailboxes. any help would be appreciated. below is the log file from exmerge. one that works and one that doesnt please help Copying data from mailbox 'Con Kittos' ('CON.KITTOS') on Server 'EXCHANGE2' to file 'E:\EXMERGE\CON.KITTOS.PST'. [09:44:58] DN of object is '/O=JOBFIND CENTRES AUSTRALIA/OU=FIRST ADMINISTRATI...

automatic send/receive doesn't work
I have a user who is running Outlook 2002 on Office 2000 Professional. Her e-mail account is a POP account. The problem is that her e-mail messages do not come through unless she hits the Send/Recieve button. Her Outlook is set up so that when Outlook is Online an automatic send/receive is scheduled every 5 minutes. Any thoughts on what else I should check? Dan Create a new SRS group and make sure the user hasn't inadvertently set her profile to work offline. Why are you mixing Outlook/Office versions? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Dan" <anonymous@discussions.micr...

Deleting specific records from a column
Hi All I have a little problem. I have two sets of records - let's say for the purpose of this exercise they are titled "a" and "b". The record sets differ but do have many matching records. My objective is to extract all the "b" records that match up with an equivalent record from the "a" column. The final record set will have these "b" records and their matching "a" records deleted from it. Example Column a Column b Final column earth earth sky sky grain fire fire ...

Application.Evaluate (works with SIN but not RGB)
All, Direct Question: Is it possible to get the Long result of RGB from a string expression (reference Evalute) using built-in VBA functionality? The code below (comments included) illustrates that the SIN function works properly with Evaluate, but the RGB function does not. (See VBE help for more details on the Evaluate method). I believe that RGB does not work because, as far as I can tell, RGB is a VBA function and not a worksheet function. (Also, as far as I can tell, SIN is both a VBA and worksheet function). So, is it possible to get the Long result of RGB from a...

Text Wrapping not working as desired.
I have a workbook containing several worksheets. The specific worksheet of concern is set up to allow the user to fill in information and as such will be protected to eliminate the risk of changes. All cells have been set as Protected except those where the user is allowed to fill in data, AND those cells have had Wrapping enabled (actually, the whole row (NOT the whole worksheet) has had wrapping enabled). However the row is NOT auto expanding when the data is entered, rather the row remains the height of a single row and never displays more than the first line of text. This is an iss...

Difference between real number and a perfect fractions
In a nut shell I am looking to display the margin of error from a perfect fraction. So I can determine if a orbit is is too close to being in perfect resonance and hence unstable. 0.61518624 = Current real value = 1,922,457 / 3,125,000 0.615384615 = Exactly 8/13 two significant denominator digits. 0.032% <= difference express as a percentage. Anything in the denominator > 100 is statistical irrelevant how can i get an excel cell to do this automatically? "Matthew" <mkruer@gmail.com> wrote: > 0.61518624 = Current real value = 1,922,457 / 3,125,000 > ...

Work with view (advanced issue)
I add a new field to quote: "related_other_account_id". This field store the ID of an Account (different from the "Potential Customer" field) (lets call this Account: The Supplier) Now I need to show the "related quote" from the Supplier Account. I think I would need to build a query like: <all quotes having "related_other_account" field = the current Account ID value... but I don't know if it is possible. How can I handle this ? Where are you trying to show this? "Sebastiano Castrini" <[remove this]castrini@libero.it> wrot...

Why does "windows in taskbar" not work in excel 2003
I am running Excel 2003 on WindowsXP Pro and the Windows in Taskbar does not work. Sometimes the Excel icon in the taskbar will disapear when you click on it; I have to click Alt+Tab in order to see and get to the open Excel session at that point. I ran Excel /regserver and Detect and repair and no luck. Try: Tools > Options > View and ensure Windows In Taskbar is checked. HTH hey DNA, Thanks for the reply but it doesn't work. basically when I turn it off and apply and then switch it back on it works but when Excel is closed and reopend, it no longer works. Anybody? &...

Urgent help needed with continous page numbers but new footnotes!
Hello, I really really need some urgent help with a page numbering/footnote numbering/section breaks problem- I’m at my wit’s end! I’m not brilliant on computers and am trying to complete my dissertation using Word 2007. I need to start my page numbers within the footer on page 3 of the document, and I know how to do this using a section break, (although I seem to be having a bit of trouble with this too!). However, for each new chapter of my dissertation I need to start a new set of footnotes from number 1, while continuing the page numbering system throughout. So if the se...

email a queue from a user
Is there a way to email a queue from a crm user on the road and have it go to the queue? We have blackberries and would like to email support@ourcompany.com and get it posted there so we can assign it. Andy ...

I'm developing Custom POS button to process open Work Order using
This button should do some custom functionality like sending some data to payment processor (it's already implemented) after this order should be mark as Closed, Inventory should be updated etc. The problem is that I cannot find any mention of how to finalize the order (for some reasons Transaction.Post doesn't work). It's a code that I currently use. What else can I do to meet my purpose? int setDepositResult = Convert.ToInt32(transactionComType.InvokeMember("SetDepositTotal",BindingFlags.InvokeMethod, null,transaction,new object[1] {Convert.ToDecimal(tot...

"Customize Outllok Today" Button Does Not Work
When I click on the "customize Outlook Today" button in the upper right hand corner of Outllok Today, nothing happens. Why? OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 To change your Outlook Today setting by editing the registry, see: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/oltoday.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook...

Unable to send new mail in OWA- new message button not working
Hi, we are having problem when users are trying to use OWA on Exchange 2003. The problem is that we can not write new message or do reply on old messages. When we press new message nothing is happening. I think that the problem is on the server side because we have tried from different client PC's (different OS - XP, Vista, 7) with different web browsers ( IE 6,7, Firefox, Opera). Only in IE 6 I have managed to write new message but when you press send the message disappears.In the down left corner I get the message Page error The server is Exchange 2003 Standard with SP2 and al...

Columns to rows/ Rows to columns
How do I flip the format in a fully loaded worksheet? The data is there, but I would like to be able to reverse the column and row structure Thanks! ...

How do I remove page numbers in handouts?
I have tried to remove the page numbers in the print preview of a presentation (2007) by the normal options box which includes headers etc. This does not work - is this a bug in the program? If so how do I get it to work? I am trying to send a pdf version to someone. They are using 2003, on which it definitely works. Could be! Deleting the # from the slide number placeholder on the handout master seems to work though. -- john ATSIGN PPTAlchemy.co.uk Free PPT Hints, Tips and Tutorials http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoint_hints_and_tips_tutorials.html "Hil...

Log file sequence numbers
I am getting the warning saying I am about to run out of log file sequence numbering (ID 514). The stores are still up and running. Can I dismount the stores, and move the logs to a new location? Will that reset the numbering? Exchange 2003 SP2. Thank you. Ed On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 14:15:38 -0400, "Ed" <ed.jackson@americantower.com> wrote: >I am getting the warning saying I am about to run out of log file sequence >numbering (ID 514). The stores are still up and running. Can I dismount the >stores, and move the logs to a new location? Will that reset the numberin...

is RMS work with Vista?
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C8059F.4583E5B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Does anyone know that RMS 2.0 will work with windows Vista? Thanks ------=_NextPart_000_0014_01C8059F.4583E5B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"...