Autofilter - showing # rows found (or NOT)

Hi all,

When I am using Excel's Autofilter, often the statusbar shows the number of
selected rows as part of the total number of rows.
Often, but not allways.

How is this, and what can I do about it ?

Tia,

Bas Hartkamp.

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

When your list has many formulas, or if a cell in the list is changed
after a filter has been applied, the Status Bar may show "Filter Mode"
instead of a count of the visible records. You can use the Subtotal
function to count the visible rows.

The following MSKB article has information:

The AutoFilter status bar displays the "Filter Mode" message in Excel
   http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=213886

And there are a couple of workarounds here:
     http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Count

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)

how to freeze pane with only one row?
Hello all, I am trying to create a view so that I can see my header row as I scroll down a table with thousands of records/rows. When I select this row1 and then go to Window->Freeze Panes, I get a pane that contains the first 12 rows. I would like just the 1st row to be frozen in this pane. Have tried selecting the entire row and just the columns in the first row that are required - to no avail. Can anyone help me do this? Thanks! symp news, select a cell in row 2 then freeze panes -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups...

How do you change the rows to columns and columns to rows.
Ok, I am stumped on how to do this? I have a spreadsheed that has Dates in the A column and Data in the row. I want to make is so, the data is in the A column and Dates ru accross in the 1 column. How can I do this? Sound easy, but I am stumped??? :eek -- cc4digita ----------------------------------------------------------------------- cc4digital's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2656 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39843 Highlight your data and copy it into the clipboard. Move to an open spot in the sprea...

Item Not Found Screen
How can I attach a sound to "Item Not Found" pop up screen. I am a busy grocery store and the cashiers sometimes are not even looking at the screen and trying to scan the items as fast as they can. When "Item not found" pops up, sometimes cashiers don't see until later and then they have to go and try to figure out which item did not scan and rescan everything again. It would be very nice to attach a sound to that screen so the cashier would here right away that an item did not scan. Any suggestions? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextP...

Transposing data in columns into a single row?
Hi, Let us say we have data stored vertically in a column ($A2:$A6). Now is there a feature by which I can transpose that data into a single row; meaning get data in a row like A$2:E$2? --deostroll Copy then Paste Special>Transpose. Note: the transpose range cannot overlap the original range so select say B2 before transposing. Delete the original range after you're done. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 14:44:15 -0000, deostroll <deostroll@gmail.com> wrote: >Hi, > >Let us say we have data stored vertically in a column ($A2:$A6). Now >is there a ...

Hiding and Unhiding Rows.. Unhide does not work..

Select Query With Parents And Child's In one row
I have one table called "ParentList" like this: ParentID, FirstName, LastName, Address, 1001 John Duo 123 Main St. 1002 Cris Taylor 456 Maple St. then I have a table called "Children" Like this: ChildID, ParentID, ChildFirst, 1001 1001 Ab 1002 1001 Bryan 1003 1001 Dave 1004 1002 Jack 1005 1002 Bill So I want the sql results Like this: ParentID, FirstName, LastName, Address, Child(1), Child(2), Child(3), 1001 John Duo 123 Ma...

Deleting empty rows/cols?
Hi all, I have a workbook with 30+ sheets. None have more than 20 rows of actual text in cells but some sheets are 1000s of rows long with blank cells (indicated by the scroll bar). All of these blank cells are exported when I 'export to web page', which is where I need the data to go. How can I get rid of these cells? -- Sean. http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#Unused -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Sean S - Perth, WA" <SeanSPerthWA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71BAA0A1-15F3-4A19-A4B5-CD4ADCD9BC30@microsoft.com... > Hi all, > &g...

Have I found a bug in Outlook's filters?
I have two filters I use. I take my contacts and move them to a folder called "Friends". The second filter I use takes any message with my first name, last name, or my nickname in the subject/body and also puts them in the "Friends" folder. I month or so I started getting mail in my "Friends" folder that I could not understand why. Now there are more and more showing up. I found out that the reason I am getting unexpected mail in my "Friends" folder is because the mail is addressed to "friend" I thought that because friend was so close to...

extra rows
when i copy a file from Microsoft Word and paste the file to Excel, there are empty rows which are between the records. How can I delete these empty rows so that I will have continous list? Example: 1. 2562 2. nothing 3. 1212 4. nothing 5. 4545 6. nothing ..... so on like that. I like my list : 2562 1212 4545 Thank you Chi Is there truly nothing in the cells? If so, then select the entire area of data and blanks, do Edit / Go To / Special / Blanks, and then do Edit / Delete / Entire row. -- Regards Ken......

finding a row with border in VBA
i need to do 3things using excel VBA 1. finding the first row in a worksheet which have a border. 2. find the first cell which have contant. 3. is there a way to copy only partial cell contant? thank in advanced dana You can do all these 3 things with the "FIND" function provided you are running Excel 2003 1.Press Ctrl+F Click format and then specify the border type you want or select if from a cell and click "FIND ALL" 2.Pressing Ctrl+Left right arrow key would take you to the first cell with content. The same combination would be tried with up,down and right arrow ...

How to lookup data in a row and column
I have a chart in excel that shows salaries based on two criteria. You go down the column to find the first criteria, then across that row for the second (much like a mileage chart). How can I get excel to lookup this information? I only know how to use lookup to find data based on one cell location. a combination of match, match and index? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:05AA06C3-8ED3-4D8A-BBB8-47EDCD16CFBD@microsoft.com... > I have a chart in excel that shows salaries based on tw...

no records found
Hi folks, I'm new to the group and could not find an answer by searching your previous threads. Can anyone help? <!--#include file="include/conn2Open.asp" --> Set notesRS = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset") sql2 = "SELECT lovenote from LoveNotes" notesRS.Open sql2, Conn2, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly, adCmdText The above code does not produce errors, nor does it return records. The table has 32 records in it. lovenote is a text field, LoveNotes is an indexed table. This is an asp page, server side. What am I doing wrong? Thanks, C...

Help: Formula put into entire row creates large file size
Hi, I have a spreadsheet where I would like one column to be the concatenation of two other columns. For example, in column C I would have =A1&B1. This excel file will be given to people and they will fill in values into columns A and B. The trick is, I don't know how many rows there will be, so I don't know how many rows in column C should have this formula. If I paste this formula into the entire column C, the excel file blows up to 3 megabytes. (It's only 15KB without this column). Are there ways for me to accomplish this more efficiently? Thanks for any help Are y...

Attachment is not showing
Hi, I use OLXP with sp3, recently I have send an HTML message with an attachment, the send item showing the mail send with an attachment, but when I open the mail there is no attachment. I have checked with the receipient and he could not find the attachment even. where is my attached file. I use POP3/SMTP in windows 2000. help me Regards Maria Maria <Maria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I use OLXP with sp3, recently I have send an HTML message with an > attachment, the send item showing the mail send with an attachment, > but when I open the mail there is no attac...

Code to turn off autofilter
I am in the process of making several macros and I was wondering if there is code to place in the macro that can - if the autofilter is on, will turn autofilter off just prior to copying the work sheet? I am currently using the code in RDB_copy_sheet to copy the worksheets Thanks Hi Take a look at this: Sub aaa() If Worksheets("Sheet1").AutoFilterMode Then isOn = "Was on" Worksheets("Sheet1").UsedRange.AutoFilter Else isOn = "Off" End If MsgBox "AutoFilterMode is " & isOn End Sub Regards, Per "fgwiii" <fg...

Automatic row height problem
I am using Excel 2000. I have merged cells together and have a line of text within this new cell that runs longer than the new width. When I, through the Format-Font menu, wrap the text, the height does not automatically adjust to fit two rows of text. (although the text does wrap) Double clicking on the row border does not reformat the height. I can reformat the height individually, but I would prefer this be done automatically, as this situation happens continuously through the document, and reformatting the height each time it happens would be quite cumbersome. Can you help m...

Msn not showing emoticons
I checked the box in the customisation window, i checked it so i can see emoticons, but yet i still cant. i tried restarting the computer, but it still didnt work. Anyone help? Greetings, What exactly are you seeing instead? For instance, are you seeing the textual equivalent, like :)? Or are you getting a blank white area or what? Additionally, are these custom emoticons or the built-in ones? -- Jonathan Kay Microsoft MVP - Windows Live Messenger MSN Messenger/Windows Messenger MessengerGeek Blog: http://www.messengergeek.com Messenger Resources: http://messenger.jona...

Rotate row
Hi all, A friend has a huge workbook that her tutor has entered lots and lots of data into. She intends to use this data for her college project, but it's been entered across the book and she'd really like to turn all the rows into columns. Any way to do this? All at once or one by one? You can do it all at once as long as you have enough room on the sheet, where the new configuration will *not overlap* the old configuration. Select the rows and right click in the selection and choose "Copy". Right click in the top left cell of the new location (remember - no overlap), a...

removing rows but not based on a range
Hello: Below, I have code to which I have added to a macro to remove rows that contain either the word "Grand" or "#VALUE!" in column A. I got this code by "cheating". Specifically, I mimicked the use of Excel's Auto Filtering in a macro. This is the last piece of a very big puzzle that I have spent over two days working on. (I did not realize that this would take so long.) What I need to end this (hopefully once and for all) is to remove the two ranges that are mentioned in the code below. You see, I need for this filtering to remove ...

Summing filtered rows with 2 conditions
Expensescode is a range for items, Expensesmonth is a range for months. H7:H800 is a range of currency. First, I filter the cell B6 to select a month from the Expensesmonth. What formula do I need to have in cell H5 to do the following: have the sum of all filtered cells in range H7:H800 with all values of Expensescode except those values with relative expensescode of 999 and 888. Any help is appriciated Hi, What is a "relative" expense code? Thanks, Shane Devenshire "Khalil handal" wrote: > Expensescode is a range for items, > Expensesmonth is a range for m...

Formula bar not showing up again
I am still not able to display the formula bar. Is my only hope to reinstall Excel? When I first ran Excel from a cold start, O was able to get a workbook with now problem. The Standard tool bar showed up on screen. The View menu item Formula Bar is present. Clicking on it has no apparent effect on the display, but I can toggle the check mark next to Formula Bar in the View menu. The checked status is remembered in Excel preferences. Can anyone suggest what to do next? Bill -- Most people go to college to get their missing high school education. Not sure if this will help: http:...

New mail not showing up in inbox
I have new mail that is not showing up in my "live" inbox which is what I am using on my laptop (I can see it coming into outlook on my desktop). Any reason or fix for this? What is your "live" inbox, Windows Live Mail or Windows Live Hotmail? If you have Outlook configured to remove messages from the server after downloading them, that would explain them not be available elsewhere. Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) "Javatrader" wrote in message news:0263916C-3A10-442B-A642-642C56EF1BFE@microsoft.com... I have new mail that is not sho...

AutoFilter #5
How to return the Autofilter value into a specified cell Here is a UDF by Stephen Bullen that will do it Function FilterCriteria(Rng As Range) As String 'By Stephen Bullen 'use like =FilterCriteria(A3) ' The single-cell argument for the FilterCriteria function ' can refer to any cell within the column of interest 'do not use the cell with the arrows, it will not update Dim Filter As String Filter = "" On Error GoTo Finish With Rng.Parent.AutoFilter If Intersect(Rng, .Range) Is Nothing Then GoTo Finish With .Filters(Rng.Col...

showing several sheet names at once
hi everybody there, I have a workbook containing multibple worksheet said 35 sheet. I want to see all of them at a timem so dont bother myself scrolling across them. thanks in advance afshar You would have to create a new window for each sheet in the workbook and then tile the windows. I'm not sure that is very practical but if you want to see what it looks like run this macro: Sub WindowForEachSheet() Dim WS As Worksheet For Each WS In Worksheets ActiveWindow.NewWindow WS.Activate Next Windows(1).Close Windows.Arrange xlArrangeStyleTiled End Sub...

Using a modeless form to show status
Rather than use the status bar, I displayed a modeless form with just a label control. During the execution of a ton of code operating on a ton of data, I periodically wrote text to the control telling how far computation had progressed. It all seemed to work, except that the area where the label was was whit and no text showed up. When computation was complete and I stopped updating the control, the last message I had sent displayed correctly. Is there any way to use a user form (or anything similar) to display a rapidly changing message during execution? Thanks. Hi, The ...