Assigning a color to a cell

I saw some other post about kind of the same problem but not this way.

I have a risk evaluation formula in a cell. Output range is between 1 and 9

If between 1 and 3, I want to assign the color lightgreen to it
If between 4 and 6 I want to assign the color yellow to it
and red if 7 to 9.

Is this possible within the Function use ? If not, How can I apply that
automatically ? a macro ? How ?

TIA

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi

See menu Format > Conditional format. It has a very helpful wizard.
(Remember to consider what should happen at exact numbers 3, 6, 9.)

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
> I saw some other post about kind of the same problem but not this way.
>
> I have a risk evaluation formula in a cell. Output range is between 1 and
9

> If between 1 and 3, I want to assign the color lightgreen to it
> If between 4 and 6 I want to assign the color yellow to it
> and red if 7 to 9.
>
> Is this possible within the Function use ? If not, How can I apply that
> automatically ? a macro ? How ?
>
> TIA

0
innocent (844)
6/6/2005 5:52:19 PM
Take a look at Conditional Formatting in XL Help.

In article <ua6x1$raFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>,
 "Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I saw some other post about kind of the same problem but not this way.
>
> I have a risk evaluation formula in a cell. Output range is between 1 and 9
>
> If between 1 and 3, I want to assign the color lightgreen to it
> If between 4 and 6 I want to assign the color yellow to it
> and red if 7 to 9.
>
> Is this possible within the Function use ? If not, How can I apply that
> automatically ? a macro ? How ?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
6/6/2005 6:04:06 PM
thanks :)

"Harald Staff" <innocent@enron.invalid> a �crit dans le message de
> Hi
>
> See menu Format > Conditional format. It has a very helpful wizard.
> (Remember to consider what should happen at exact numbers 3, 6, 9.)
>
> HTH. Best wishes Harald
>
> "Junkyard Engineer" <jevandenbroucke@hotmail.com> skrev i melding
> > I saw some other post about kind of the same problem but not this way.
> >
> > I have a risk evaluation formula in a cell. Output range is between 1
and
> 9
> >
> > If between 1 and 3, I want to assign the color lightgreen to it
> > If between 4 and 6 I want to assign the color yellow to it
> > and red if 7 to 9.
> >
> > Is this possible within the Function use ? If not, How can I apply that
> > automatically ? a macro ? How ?
> >
> > TIA

protecting only a few cells????
Hello, Excel wants me to define which cells I do NOT want to block for input. I want to select a few cells and tell Excel to lock only these, since entered data that I want to protect. How to -- fren ----------------------------------------------------------------------- frens's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1505 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=26840 "frens" <frens.1e06ta@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:frens.1e06ta@excelforum-nospam.com... > > Hello, > > Excel wan...

Macro that looks at cell contents
I have a column filled with ID numbers. Some begin with E. example E12353. Other ID numbers are 5 digits long. example 12345. Every day I copy and paste these numbers from a program and into my excel spreadsheet. Along with these numbers is important data that I also copy and paste into the spreadsheet. On the other side of the company they use the same ID's but add "00" to the end of all 5 digit ID numbers. It is not important to either side that these numbers dont match so they dont care. I have to deal with combining these ID's to get good information multiple times...

Repeat value from cell above
Setting up a data entry screen with 9 columns. The first 3 columns (Entry date, salesman, customer) might repeat several times: How do I repeat and display the value from the cell above if there is no value entered in the current cell? Thank you! Carl Try this: Select from the first category down through the last relevant blank cell Press the [F5] key......a shortcut for <edit><goto> Click the [special cells] button Check: Blanks Click the [OK] button (that will select all of the blank cells in that range) WHILE THOSE CELLS ARE STILL SELECTED... Type: =...to start building a...

Word wrapping paragraphs within cells
Hi everyone, I support a user who stores narrative data within a spreadsheet. They want to know why Excel 2000 SR-1 inconsistently wraps text within a cell after the narrative exceeds 8 lines. This occurs regardless of cell height. They also want to know how to fix it so the text wraps consistently regardless of narrative length. I know the obvious answer (store the data somewhere else) - but does anyone have any more politically acceptable ideas? Thanks in advance. I don't store that much text in cells, but you may want to have them try putting some alt-enters in their text. Exce...

Return blank cell using a formula
Here is my formula: =if(iserr(h3/g3),"",h3/g3) The problem is I am using this data in a line chart and whenever there is a "", my line drops all the way down to zero. Can I make the formula completely blank the cell rather than filling it with a space? Try =if(iserr(h3/g3),NA(),h3/g3) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "asach" <asach@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15E33E9F-6AE0-4028-B2C5-27BDD580701D@microsoft.com... > Here is my formula: =if(iserr(h3/g3),"",h3/g3) > > The problem is I am using this data in a line c...

Printing of cells in Excel with conditional equations?
How do I suppress printing of cells in Excel that have a conditional equation in the cell and appear as blanks in the worksheet, but when I print I get a blank label. I am setting this up for a user and I don't want them to have to highlight the cells and then use SELECTION in the print parameters? Can you pick out a column that always has data when the row should be printed--and is always blank when the row should not be printed? If yes, then I'd apply Data|Filter|Autofilter to that range/column. Filter to show just the non-blanks and then print, then data|filter|showall to get...

pictures in table cells
I am using publisher 2003. I created a table in publisher that I want to add pictures to. I need to be able to insert more rows into the table and I want the pictures to move down with the rows. Is there any way to link a picture with a cell or table row? With your cursor in the cell, fill, fill effects, picture tab... you may have to check the aspect. If you add rows the picture will stay in the cell where you inserted it. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Dan" <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A099BA8-9FFD-46BC-ACE7-0732679F4C54@microsoft...

Validation Criteria & Ignore Blank (cells at bottom)
Hi All, I have a named list that has a bunch of blank cells at the bottom so the user can grow the list as needed. The ignore blank check box in data validation looks tempting, but I still get all the blank cells at the bottom of my drop down list. Does anyone know how to get it so the blank cells don't show in the list. Worksheet called License_Only has data from C2:C210. The data is pulled from a second file as follows: C2 - =IF(ISBLANK([Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2),"", [Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xls]License_Only!C2) C3 - =IF(ISBLANK([Ontario_MGS_Price_List.xl...

Grouping random cells..............................can it be done????? TIA
I have an Excel sheet with data. I want to select cells at random and group them together so at a later time I can select one of the group members and it will select all the members in the group. I tried to do it and Excel complains back that this can not be done with non adjacent cells. Hope someone can help. Thank you. Boll Weevil, what you can do is select the cells and define a name for them (Insert > Name > Define). Then at any time you can press F5 (Go to), click the name, click OK, and Excel will select them all. -- DDM "DDM's Microsoft Office Tips and Tricks"...

How do I change fill colors to transparent fill colors
I'm trying to highlite different parts in a visio drawing. But by filling a shape de original disappears. Is there a way to color a shape but leaving it transparent to show the original? It depends on your version of Visio. In Visio 2003, there is a slider to control the transparency. This feature is not available on older versions of Visio. John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm "Krentenbol op reis" <...

Show blank cell if less than 1
If a cell's number is less than 1 (negative number), how can I make it show a blank cell? TIA ....Will 0.9 is less then 1. Do you really want a negative to activate the blank cell result ? What the cell contains will determine which is the best solution. If the cell contains a formula : =A1*B1, you could try: =IF(A1*B1<0,"",A1*B1) If the cell will contain only user entry, you could try either DataValidation (Do not allow negatives), or Conditional Formatting, where any negative entry will change the cell color to white, giving it the appearence of "blank". -- ...

Align left and Align right in the same cell
Hello! In a new workbook, take cell A1 and widen it to 7" long. Now, is there a way I can align "To:Mom" to the left and the date to the right in the same row and column? So for A1, it would look like"To:Mom Jan 11, 2009"?? I only want to use one column.And without VBA. Maybe, if you can't do a flush left and right in the same line, is there a code for tab similar to CHAR (10)? I was thinking something like ="To:Mom"&CHAR(tab)&CHAR(tab)&NOW ?? Thanks! VR/ Lost Cell enter A1 Mom B1 the date (if today use <Ctrl>...

Sorting by color
Is it possible to sort a spreadsheet by the color of the highlights used on the spreadsheet? Hi Andrew, Color, Sorting on Color, not recommended because changing the color of a cell will not cause an event to occur that you can pick up automatically at least not in any Excel through Excel 2000, but the topic does come up. Also there is the problem of color perception. However the following will help... http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/colorsort.htm You will probably want to look at the Case Statement example to reassign a color index number to something more s...

How to diffrentiate Text & number from a single cell????
:( Hi ther guyz............i a have small problem with the execl sheets........... my problem is e.g. i have alot of cells with a number and some text in it........and they both are in one/single cell (e.g. "878 queen st" in A1)....now what i want is to remove let's say "queen st" from each cell so that there is only number left in it.....................i cannot figure out any formula........if there is any..............need help imediately -- pack_card2000 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pack_card2000's Profile: http://...

How to keep the cell borders of the pivot table?
Is there any way to not lose border formatting after refreshing a Pivot Table? Thank you. On Aug 8, 2:26=A0am, "=C1=F7=C0=CB=B5=C4=CB=AB=D3=E3" <rover...@hotmail.com= > wrote: > Is there any way to not lose border formatting after refreshing a Pivot > Table? > Thank you. Make sure you have selected "Preserve Formatting" in the table options Yes. I am sure I have selected "Preserve Formatting" in the table options "David Heaton" <dheaton@stanleyworks.com.au> ??????:3c91c9ce-2759-4d28-a7c9-053433508082@u20g2000prg.googlegroups...

Cell Selection Bug!!
Not sure if anyone has seen this before: if a selection in BookA is copied to BookB whatever was originally selected in B stays selected aswell as what is copied in e.g say you select A16 in BookB then go into BookA and copy A1:C1, go back to BookB and paste into A1:C1 - the bug is that A16 is still selected (and stays selected whatever other cells you select) Is this an Excel;2003 bug?? Any help greatly appreciated Jason. Not a bug. You can open several books at the same time. You can Select a different cell in each book. By Activating each book in series, Selection will become the s...

Adding every third cell in a column
I need a formula for a cell that will add the value in every cell in a specified column that has the name "Plan" in the cell in the previous column. On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 14:23:02 -0700, "Jack Thiel" <JackThiel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I need a formula for a cell that will add the value in every cell in a >specified column that has the name "Plan" in the cell in the previous column. Check HELP for SUMIF. If "Plan" may or may not be in Column A; and your values to be added are in Column C, then =SUMIF(A1:A1000,"Plan",...

Cell Reference locking
I am trying to lock a cell reference from one sheet to another. i.e. Cell A1 on "sheet 1" needs to ALWAYS be referenced by cell D5 on "sheet 2." I have tried using $ signs and using the sheet protection to no avail. What happens is when ever a user moves the information via drag and drop or copy and paste (other than copying and pasting up in the tool bar) the cell reference moves with it. i.e. User highlights the cell B1 on "sheet 1" and drags it to cell A1. On my machine what happens is that Cell D5 is now referencing B1 and the cell that was refe...

How to one cells variables as a serie to a column
I cant find the way out. I have a daily variable data in a single cell (say in A1) ant I want to form a serie with using daily values of that cell. (Variable) Date Value 21.12.2006 400 (Series) 01.12.2006 300 02.12.2006 350 .... .... 20.12.2006 420 21.12.2006 400 "noyau" wrote > That is first step. Thnx a lot. You're welcome. Glad it helped. > Now the point is to do the same thing for a > daily variable next to the date. > The problem is that the second variable is > not increasing or decreasing. > Still working but no result. ...

How to distribute characters in a cell?
How can I distribute in a cell text characters with even spaces? Select the cells and run this macro: Sub SpaceUm() b = " " For Each r In Selection v = r.Value l = Len(v) t = "" For i = 1 To l t = t & Mid(v, i, 1) & b Next r.Value = t Next End Sub Data like: abc12333 will become: a b c 1 2 3 -- Gary''s Student - gsnu2007g "churin" wrote: > How can I distribute in a cell text characters with even spaces? > Thank you for your response. I have never used macro so that this is a good opportunity for m...

Shading or background color on selected item
I am using Outlook 2003 on a new Windows 7 machine. In the mail view, I have the navigation pane that shows folders on the left, then a column in the middle that shows the messages, then the message on the right. If I select a folder, then the background of the text is blue. If I then select a message, the folder has a faintly shaded background. If I then click inside the message, the message title in the middle column has a faintly shaded background. I want this faintly shaded background to be darker. I have searched most menus to try to find how to change this. In Windows 7, I...

255 chr limit in cell
I am exporting a query from Access to Excell - One of the fields is over 255 chrs long and it is being trunkated in Excel Does anyone know a way round the 255 char limit in Excel Thank AlanW I don't speak the Access, but can you split that field up into smaller pieces (while in access). Then retrieve each little bit and recombine? AlanW wrote: > > I am exporting a query from Access to Excell - One of the fields is over 255 chrs long and it is being trunkated in Excel. > Does anyone know a way round the 255 char limit in Excel. > > Thanks > > AlanW -- Dave P...

Unable to make Formula Hide in Cell
Hello Everyone - OK, here's what it is: I cannot make a formula in a cell hide when th cell is de-selected. Instead of returning some sort of result, all see is the actual formula. I tried CTRL + ` but that doesn't d anything but change the width of the columns (I do not know what tha is all about, either). Thoughts? Thankx, C -- theboatdud ----------------------------------------------------------------------- theboatdude's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1024 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31891...

cell shading pick a color feature grayed out
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) In the borders and shading pallet under the shading selection, the pick a color option is grayed out and I am only able to choose colors from the limited color tiles displayed. How do I get a broader color selection? Excel is limited to 40 colors in the color palettes. You can't add to them but you can select a different assortment in Excel> Preferences> Color. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 4/26/10 9:49 AM, in article 59bb77b0.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "suu@officeformac.com"...

Function to indicate the amount of characters in a cell?
Trying to do a conversion of data into a flat file. Using excel we have a column called Project Description. I want to run a function to ensure that the project descrption in each cell does not exceed 70 characters. Is there a function that I can use for this? For example A project for all to review This title has 28 characters (counting from A to w), other than manual not sure if this can be done Thanks Try this: This function returns the number of characters in Cell A1 =LEN(A1) This function returns up to 70 characters from cell A1 =LEFT(A1,70) Does that help? *********** Re...