Arrangement of text in a cell

I have text in a cell of my spread sheet. It has last name then first
name. Is there a way to re-arrange this so the first name appears
first??

Brett

--
brettg
brettg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33879

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If they are separated by a space:

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"brettg" <brettg.26w1rn_1146083101.2526@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

| I have text in a cell of my spread sheet. It has last name then first
| name. Is there a way to re-arrange this so the first name appears
| first??
|
| Brett
|

| --
| brettg
| brettg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=33879
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=536583

0
nicolaus (2022)

If any cell in a range is blank question
Hello. I have two sheets in a workbook. One is a Summary sheet, and the next is titled "Bldg 5". What I am trying to make sure is that the range A1:K20 on the Bldg 5 sheet has had data entered to them (ie, they are not blank). The question that corresponds to Summary sheet A1 is "Has the data for Bldg 5 been updated?" If ANY blank in Bldg 5's range A1: K20, then put a "NO" in Summary A1's cell. If ALL of the Bldg 5 range had data in it, then put a "YES" in Summary A1. I also need A1 to update as data is entered into the Bldg 5 range (a...

Splitting a cell that has word wrap as the delimiter
Hi - I have an excel cell that has name on one line, then alt+enter, address on the next line, then alt+enter, state on the next line, etc... I want to split them - I tried using Data Text to Columns, but I can't figure out to use the Alt+enter as the delimiter. Any ideas? Check other and place the cursor in the box, hold down Alt while typing 010 on the numpad, release the Alt key -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Leslie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:074301c3c3f9$59b12340$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - > > I have an excel cell that ...

Changing color of a range of cells dending up on a value in anothr
Hi, I need to change the color of a range of cell, depending up on the value in another cell. I am using Excel 2003. And it allows me to give only 3 conditions when using conditional format. But I have 7 differnt conditions. Thanks in advance for any help. Srajes. Unless you move to XL2007, you will need to use VBA. Here are some sites that will help http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/excel-conditional-formatting-limit.htm http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/condfmt.htm Alternatively, there is an add-in here http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.CFPlus.Download.html -- Steve "Srajes&qu...

Text Box Linked To Cell
My goal is to have a text box that displays the contents of a particular cell. How do I link the text box to the cell? Thanks, Denise Hi denise, Make a Text Box from the drawing toolbar. Select the box and in the Formula Bar, type = and then select the cell, press enter. ( IE: =$C$5 ) The cell can also be on a different sheet, just do the same. ( IE: =Sheet2!C5 ) Dave denise Wrote: > My goal is to have a text box that displays the contents of a > particular > cell. How do I link the text box to the cell? > > Thanks, > Denise -- Piranha --------------------------...

Modify Exchange undeliverable email text
Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that is sent for an undeliverable email address? Thank You Jason Shaw Not natively. James Chong MCSE + Messaging, MCTS msexchangetips.blogspot.com Jasons9745 wrote: > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that > is sent for an undeliverable email address? > Thank You > Jason Shaw Not easily done. Jasons9745 wrote: > Is there a way in Exchange 2003 to modify the text of the message that > is sent for an undeliverable email address? > Thank You > Jason Shaw > > -...

Change order of fields in a report to a custom arrangement
In a report, I want to list sections in a certain way that is not alphabetical or numerical. Is there a way to do this? Curerntly, it is alphabetical as below: **Staff Section** Chief of Staff Command Counsel G1 G2 G3 Public Affairs Special Staff ** I would like for the fields to be organized as below: ***Staff Section*** G1 G2 G3 Chief of Staff Command Counsel Special Staff Public Affairs Thanks! Glen Try going to Sorting and Grouping. It is one of your buttons on the command bar. You should be able to set it anyway you wish. -- Milton Purdy ACCES...

Disappearing Text
Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has the subject line and the from populated, but the body of the message won't come up. We get the hourglass and it never goes away. Any ideas? Please email answers to kevinbrand@earthlink.net. Thanks Kevin Hi, Start --> Run --> Regsvr32 inetcomm.dll Hope this helps !!! With Regards, Sudharson.AN "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1284e01c41826$c0787480$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Hi. All my new and existing mail in Outlook Express has > the subject line and the from populate...

Truncated Merged Cells
Actually, I have truly MERGED cells that contain LINKS to other workbooks. The merged cells were created exactly as you described and the data within them (text) comes from several other workbooks, with the appropriate references. We created them in 95 and later converted them to 97. We can use them in Excel XP but they lose the data that would be displayed on 2002 and 2003. Have not tried 2000 yet. Thanks for the help. We are very concerned about this problem. Our workbooks are complex with many links. Elsa I only have the ideas that I already posted. And you can find posts in goog...

Is there a way to Sort Data by font color or cell shading?
I have a long list of items that I sort by either item number or date depending on what I'm looking for. From time to time these items status will change and I will gray them out by just shading the background of the cell gray. Is there a way I can sort these items by the background/shading of the cell first and then the secondary sort be date? So all the cells which contain gray shading will be first in the list (sorted by date if possible) then the rest of the list without the gray shading will follow by date as well. Thanks. Take a look at this link: http://www.cpearson.c...

Cell identity when printing comments on separate page

Inserting a string of text in front of existing text in excel
How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text cells on a multiple cell basis ? Hi try something like the following macro (works on your selection): sub foo() dim rng as range dim cell as range dim str_part set rng=selection str_part="precede_" for each cell in rng if cell.value<>"" then cell.value=str_part & cell.value end if next end sub >-----Original Message----- >How do I insert a word or words in front of existing text >cells on a multiple cell basis ? >. > If a formula will do, try something like this (with the existing text...

OWA
OWA text field is always 'grayed out' - on new messages and replies. Small "x" button in upper left of text field seems to have no functionality. Subject field is OK. Bummer - do you have a question? If yes, then try asking it in an Exchange news group as Outlook Web Access is a function of Exchange, not Outlook. Microsoft.public.exchange.admin is a good place to start. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted w...

Problem creating full text index
I seem to be unable to create a full text index of either my public or private store. When I try to creat the index I get the error; The directory name is invalid. Facility: MSSearch.Admin.1 ID no: 8007010b Exchange system Manager This seems to be happening for both the public and private stores. The directory does exist. I have looked over the permissions and tried to compare to known working servers and I haven't moticed any obvious differences. Any ideas? Did you follow this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822932/en-us Nue "Jonathan Huber" <JonathanHu...

Assigning a color to a cell
I saw some other post about kind of the same problem but not this way. I have a risk evaluation formula in a cell. Output range is between 1 and 9 If between 1 and 3, I want to assign the color lightgreen to it If between 4 and 6 I want to assign the color yellow to it and red if 7 to 9. Is this possible within the Function use ? If not, How can I apply that automatically ? a macro ? How ? TIA Hi See menu Format > Conditional format. It has a very helpful wizard. (Remember to consider what should happen at exact numbers 3, 6, 9.) HTH. Best wishes Harald "Junkyard Engineer&qu...

Inserting an image into a cell
Is there any way to insert an image (or a series of images) into a cell rather than onto a worksheet? Many thanks hi unless they have changed something in 2007, about the only way you can do that is insert it as a comment. http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments02.html#Picture Regards FSt1 "Trent SC" wrote: > Is there any way to insert an image (or a series of images) into a cell > rather than onto a worksheet? > > Many thanks > > > Hi, Not into the cell but maybe you could use the comment to hold your image. http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments0...

Running macros for different cells at the same time
Hi all, Is it possible to run different macros on different cells at the sam time? If so how do I go about setting it up? Cheers Michae -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi not really sure what you're trying to do. Could you give an example? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany > Hi all, > > Is it possible to run different macros on different cells at the same > time? If so how do I go about setting it up? > > Cheers > > Michael > > > --- > Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Yes it is possible to run different m...

randomly scatter text
I have pub. 2003, I need to know how to take a phrase and randomly scatter it allover the page, with out placing it manually. I was able to do it on the last version of publisher but I can't seem to find the random button on this one. PLEASE HELP!!! Tabs? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "jenice" <jenice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2C51271-D425-4E3E-8A71-55365A05D774@microsoft.com... >I have pub. 2003, I need to know how to take a phrase and randomly scatter it > all...

converting from text to numerical number
I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: 1 2 3 .... 31 row 1 row 2 row 3 Jan row 4 row 5 Feb row x Dec I would like to replace column 1 up to Jan to 1. Replace the cell below Jan to Feb to 2. etc. Would anyone help. Thanks in advance. You could select cells A1:A3, type a 1, then press Ctrl+Enter Select A4:A5, type a 2, and press Ctrl+Enter And so on, till all twelve months are done. james wrote: > I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: > > 1 2 3 .... 31 &...

Word Wrap in Cells
Hiya, Have a strange one. Have word wrap set to on in cell format and have text in paragraphs (using alt-ret) within the cell. Some sentences (all within the same cell)are wrapped but others aren't. Any ideas? New one on me this. Many thanks, Shaun Hi if you have lots of text in your cell (>1000 characters) this could happen -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Shawk" <shawk@clara.co.uk.3guesses> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1103641104.32476.1@demeter.uk.clara.net... > Hiya, > > Have a strange one. Have word wrap set to on in cell format and ha...

Input text message (dialog box) for data validation
Hello all: This may sound idiotic to some, but I've already been wasting too much time with this option, and am looking for some guru insight. I am trying to input text into the Data Validation Text Box that looks something like this: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q3) Was this a prospective or retrospective analysis or study documenting the effects of XYZ that compared and reported the data in the Marketing Strategy Program? a) Yes b) No c) This appears to be a concise comparison, but ot...

Splitting multiple cell contents from 1st column into 4 columns
n my first column I have 4 cells (1-4) (5-8) etc. with general content. The content from each of these 4 cells needs to be placed in a separate column to make a list that I can sort etc. Example: COLUMN A 1 01-04-425-001 2 Heatherridge Road #301 3 Harry Smith 4 H25 Condo Fairfax Place 5 01-05-356-041 6 McGrath Street # 56 7 Mary Jones 8 B45 Condo Lemon Circle . . . . . . and so on and so on every 4 cells. I have hundreds of 4 cell descriptions. I just can't do this one by one. Can anyone help, PLEASE, PLEASE. I am really a novice at Excel though I use it for e...

Access 2007 Special Effect Text Box Won't show Sunken with Windows XP
Hi All I am just getting to grips with Access 2007 and one of the quirks I have found is that when I design using Windows in XP Windows-Classic colors and set the text boxes on forms' special effect property to "sunken" They appear as sunken in the correct manner. However, when I change to the Windows XP color scheme the forms text boxes appear flat even though the special effect property has not changed. Any ideas or is it a new quirk we have to live with. I haven't tried it with Vista yet. That should be interesting Thanks Bob I am quite sure this is the same for acce...

Sorting imported text
I have a spreadsheet into which I've imported a great deal of data in two columns only. I set out rows one, three and five of hundreds of such rows. The cells in column A consist of place names. (The "C" following the place name stands for "City", the "A" for "Area".) The cells in column C represent the population of the city or area, as the case may be. I've formatted the cells in column C as numbers. Albury (C) 44887 Armidale Dumaresq (A) 24596 Ashfield (A) 40258 I want to sort the placenames in order of their po...

how read value from last selected cell? It is possible? how get adress last selected cell?
for example. I write to cell A11 value "hello", and next: IF I click "ENTER" or IF I click mouse in any different cell (A15, B10, C1... free choice) I wont to display: MsgBox "Value in your last selected cell = ???" On this example MsgBox "Value in your last selected cell = hello" it is very important for me. I try with event of Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) ?? but :( thanks everybody, Andrzej Andrzej You have little choice but to use the Worksheet_Change() event as the Worksheet_SelectionChange() event, give you the cell ...

How do I pass series data x-value range to a chart from a cell?
I have a series on a line chart (x-values "=Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10"). I also have two worksheet cells (B1 & B2) that contain the start and end date for the x-axis of the chart. I want to be able to link the chart series data to the start and end date values so that the chart automatically adjusts when I change the dates in the worksheet cells. I can create a string or address for the x-values but how do I do not know how to pass this to the chart series?? I know I can do this using a macro, but I want to do it without macros so that friends who use MicrosoftCharts (the cheap, n...