Are macro sheets and macro functions no longer available?

At one time I used Excel for some rather fancy programming. In those
days I was getting reasonably skilled at using macros. This included the
possibility of defining a function on a macro sheet that had an argument
and returned a result. As far as I can tell, that ability is no longer
present.

I realize that Visual Basic is now used for macros. I do not have
experience with that. I do not know if it worth investing the time to
become proficient at it. I have so little use for that that I have
virtually forgotten all my regular BASIC.

Bill

--
As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has merit.
0

Hi Bill,

XLM Macros and XLM functions are still available even in Excel version 2010,
but nobody knows if they will be still there in the following version.

(right-click a worksheet tab-->Insert--> Macro Sheet or Dialog)

Charles
___________________________________
The Excel Calculation Site
http://www.decisionmodels.com

"Salmon Egg" <SalmonEgg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> At one time I used Excel for some rather fancy programming. In those
> days I was getting reasonably skilled at using macros. This included the
> possibility of defining a function on a macro sheet that had an argument
> and returned a result. As far as I can tell, that ability is no longer
> present.
>
> I realize that Visual Basic is now used for macros. I do not have
> experience with that. I do not know if it worth investing the time to
> become proficient at it. I have so little use for that that I have
> virtually forgotten all my regular BASIC.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has
> merit.

0
Charles740 (233)
11/2/2009 12:09:48 PM
In article <4aeecc22$0$2540$da0feed9@news.zen.co.uk>,
 "Charles Williams" <Charles@DecisionModels.com> wrote:

> XLM Macros and XLM functions are still available even in Excel version 2010,
> but nobody knows if they will be still there in the following version.
>
> (right-click a worksheet tab-->Insert--> Macro Sheet or Dialog)

Thank you.

I am using Excel X for Mac Service Release 1. Your clue helped a lot. It
seems difficult enough to get to the macro sheet so as to suggest that
Microsoft is trying to rid itself of macro sheet legacy.

I am using a Macally mouse. I have it programed so that the various
buttons allow me to get single, double, and triple clicks directly. I
find that that programming puts minimum strain on my wrist. It is the
multiple clicking that generates the most repetitive stress. No problem.
Ctrl-click is my right click.

Bill

--
As the years go by, dying just before having to fill out a tax return has merit.
0
SalmonEgg (56)

Qn on Restricting a public function overriding in base classes ?
How do we achieve the following : Class Baseclass { public: int funXYZ(); ..... }; Now, How do I modify the definition of the above class to restrict any other Class which derives from Baseclass, from over riding public function funXYZ(); Note that, the function funXYZ() needs to be public. Is it possible ? "satlal" <satish.lalam@gmail.com> skrev i meddelandet news:dg942b$67e$1@news.mch.sbs.de... > How do we achieve the following : > > Class Baseclass > { > public: > int funXYZ(); > ..... > }; > > Now, H...

range of data from different sheets
I'm having trouble creating a graph because the data is spread on different sheets. I've got a new sheet for each month and I'd like to produce a trend graph. Do I have to bring each set of numbers onto the same sheet, or is there a way to have a range of data spread over various sheets? I hope that makes sense! For any given series, for any given set of values (x or y) the data must be on the same sheet. Other than that, you can have data on multiple sheets. So, for one series you could have the series name on one sheet, the x- values on a 2nd sheet, and the y-values on a...

Importing Data In A Macro
I need to use Access a little like an ETL tool, and want to run a macro that imports data from an ODBC source (Sybase in this case) and then uses insert and update queries in Access for manipulation. The macro will be scheduled using the Windows Scheduler. Anyway, I am trying to use the "Transfer Database" action in the macro. The only thing I don't understand, is how do I keep from importing the entire table from Sybase, i.e. I want to import using a query, looking at the Access database, getting a maximum existing date and then just importing anything newer than that. The Syba...

Using the mail merge function from excell
Is there a way of using the mail merge function in word to set up a three column format of names and addresses. I need to do this without using the "label" format - as I need it in word domument format in order to be able to add and make changes in word. Thanks Sheila You may want to look into storing your data in excel (already has nice columns and rows) and using MSWord's builtin MailMerge to create the labels. You may want to read some tips for mailmerge: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from Davi...

Can no longer cut/paste ranges in chart "edit data" fields?
In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y datasets using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? Also the chart range resets itself to the current length of the data, however, in many instances I want to set an exact future range. Is there a way to have excel not reset the range to what it "thinks" I want. > In Excel 2007 I can no longer cut/paste cell ranges into the x and y > datasets > using the edit data tool. Is there a way to turn this back on? I have no problem doing what you can't. Could you provide more det...

auto sum function
I just realized my final sum changes if I use the "sort ascending" function..... How do I fix this ? thank u Hi where is your sum formula located? -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > I just realized my final sum changes if I use the "sort > ascending" function..... > > How do I fix this ? > > thank u Down a colum But also, i just found out info changes on each lines when i use the "sort ascending" tool... >-----Original Message----- >Hi >where is your sum formula located? &...

Protect sheet #3
I am working on an Excel document witch is a big database. I would like to set a password with the "protect sheet" option in the Tools/Protection menu. "Normal" users who will open the database won't be able to edit the document, but will rather open it in "read only" mode. The problem is that I still want these users to be able to use the "auto filter" and also use the "sort A-Z" option. I have tried to select these options in the configuration of the protection (protect sheet window) but it doesn't work. I can't do any of those tw...

Len Function
Would appreciate some help as I'm a novice Access user. I have a table with employee numbers. The majority are 7 characters (text) that start with a letter and then 6 numbers. However the remainder are 9 digit - all numbers. I'm trying to extract only the 9 digit employee numbers. I thought the LEN function would do it for me, but it's not working. Thanks -- JR Paste this in the SQL view of the query design panel. SELECT tblEmployees.EmplNumber, Len([EmplNumber]) AS LengthOf FROM tblEmployees WHERE (((Len([EmplNumber]))=9)); Regards Kevin "Ja...

How do I change the $ currency symbol in a balance sheet template
Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' option is not open to me. The sheet must be protected. You will have to unprotect the sheet first from the Tools>Protection>unprotect sheet. If it asks for a password, then probably you are not meant to fiddle around with the format of the template! "Dave" wrote: > Can someone please help me remove the $ symbol from a template. > > I've set thre area settings but the 'format' and then 'Cells' opt...

Macro Action Fails on Duplicate Record
I have a form with a subform whose visibile property is set to no. I have a macro that runs when a choice is made in a combo box that sets the visible property of the subform to yes when the selection=2. The macro sets the visible property of the subform to no when the selection does not =2. This is how I have the macro: Condition: [Appearance]=2 Action:Set Value Item: [Forms]![Appearance Request Basic]![OffSiteApp].[Form].[Detail].[Visible] Expression: True Condition:... Action:StopMacro Condition:(this I left blank) Action: SetValue Item:[Forms]![Appearance Request Basic]![OffSiteApp...

Macro to find a row and delete it and the 9 rows above it. #2
Thanks alot that did the trick. This forum and you guys are life saver -- Rusty_n ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Rusty_nl's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=671 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31376 ...

Is there any way to use the MATCH function with more than 1 column
For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value 215, but my data set spans more than one column. My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) returns an #N/A error. What can I do? Do you want both the row and column ? Two separate values? -- Gary's Student "Mr. Snrub" wrote: > For example, =MATCH(215, Y3:Y51, 0) will search from Y3 to Y51 for the value > 215, but my data set spans more than one column. > > My data set ranges from A3 to Z51, and the function =MATCH(215, A3:Z51, 0) > returns an #...

Macro inside another macro?
I like to refer to another macro within another macro. Is this possible? Does this work? sub macro1() .... .... sub Macro2() .... .... end sub ..... ..... end sub ? Yes this does work. >-----Original Message----- >I like to refer to another macro within another macro. > >Is this possible? >Does this work? > >sub macro1() >.... >.... > > sub Macro2() > .... > .... > end sub > >..... >..... >end sub >? > >. > thank you >-----Original Message----- >Yes this does work. > > >...

How not to display any pop up message for macro?
When macro imports an external links into sheets, it pops up a message is about the pasting area is larger then worksheet for confirmation, does anyone have any suggestions on how not to display any pop up message for running macro? Thanks in advance for any suggestions qryConnect = "URL;http://www.mmacycles.com" Set anySheet = Sheets("MMA") With anySheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:=qryConnect, Destination _ :=anySheet.Range("$A$1")) .Name = "o070104" .FieldNames = True .RowNumbers = False .Fil...

Disable Recovered Mail function
How do I disable the Recovered Message function? I have tried most of the fixes suggested in other threads, but it keeps coming back each time I open WinMail. Easiest fix for that: Upgrade to Windows Live Mail: http://download.live.com/wlmail=20 --=20 Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail) http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/vandermolen "Trw6142" <Trw6142@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message = news:1845A3B6-A9F4-45BC-BADF-A04A2F2CF03F@microsoft.com... > How do I disable the Recovered Message function? I have tried most of = the...

Replacing a subdirectory name in a macro
I am currently running a macro that every time I run the macro I have t replace the name of a subdirectory that a file is saving to. Is ther anyway I can name a cell in ecel that has the subdiectory's name store in it, and get the macro to accept that name in the address that th file is being saved to -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, Dim TodaysFolder as String TodaysFolder=cells(1,1).value 'cell A1. You should add the workbook & sheet names to make 'sure it's the right one ThisWorkbook.SaveAs "c:\thisfolder\andthatfloder\" & TodaysFolde...

Need Unprotect/Protect for Excel Macro
Hello there, I need the code to put into a macro to go in and unprotect a sheet (just long enough for me to insert some data)...then re-protect the sheet before saving. This way....the user cannot destroy the data or formula in teh protected sheet. How do I do this? Is there a global command or do I have to imput my password when I ask it to follow me recording the macro. Please help! Anyone!! Thanks!! Wade Previous post of J E McGimpseys will give you the syntax Sub Toggleprotect2() Const PWORD As String = "ken" Dim wkSht As Worksheet For Each sh ...

How to Remove a Button on sheet
Gidday, I do not like to use buttons on worksheets because I was fooling around and suddenly I have a button on the sheet that cannot be right clicked or deleted. Should I change something in the properties window before I close it? I am using Excel 2000 but also found this problem with Excel 97. Regards Mark PS This is why I only use Userforms or toolbar buttons to initiate macros. You need to get into design mode to edit controls in worksheets. If yo bring up the "control toolbox" toolbar and click the design mod button. This should then enable you to delect the button D...

How do I identify and delete macros
Before I got Windows XP, I used a macro I found through this site to set up a couple of documents to print as a booklet. With the new Office software, I don't need that macro anymore. Some of the documents I use are based on older documents containing the macro (in both Word and Publisher), and I get a dialog box asking me to enable or disable the macros. I would like to take out the macros all together, but I don't know how. Also, for all I know (which isn't much at all about programming), there may be macros built in to the program that I don't want to delete. How do I...

CRM Contact fields not available in Advanced Search
Why aren't all fields available to use in Contact advanced search? Some attributes of an entity are shown in the Attributes view in the customization area, but are not available to search on in the "Advanced Find" form. Why is this? Is there a way of making the fields available? There is one Contact field "relationshiptype" I use a lot for marketing campaigns. I want to use advanced search to filter "customers" and exclude competitors, partners, suppliers, editors, etc. from my search. This attribute is not available in advanced search. I have to expor...

Does anyone know of a template for bid estimate excel sheets? Is.
Check Microsoft Office Web Site or search google for "Bid Estimate" "Excel Template" "Lenora" <Lenora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00E08EC7-D926-49A2-9362-D59FC9088F88@microsoft.com... : ...

Is Hyperlinking available in Pub. 2002 or 2003
In Publisher 2000 you need to be in web mode to make a hyperlink. I'm writing a newsletter and want to stay in newsletter mode. Does version 2002 or 2003 address this problem, so I can make a hyperlink in regular Publisher newsletter mode? Thank you. John Schulte No - and if you think about it, it will make sense why not. (Kinda hard to click on a link that's on a piece of paper.) If you need links for an online version of the newsletter, you are probably creating a .pdf version of the newsletter. If that's the case, get Acrobat Standard. That's what I use for my onli...

Spread sheet to a Gif.
How do you convert an xls spread sheet to a gif. I want to put it in a word document and use arrows in work to point to the areas of the pic to talk about for instructions. IE explanations When I copy and paste, the image is too large. Thanks. You can use a screen capture program to create a graphic file. I use SnagIt (you can download an evaluation copy here): http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp and have used ScreenSeize, which you can download here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,26282,00.asp anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you ...

An unofficial FAQ for this newsgroup is available at http://umpmfaq.info. The source FAQ was last updated Wednesday, January 12, 2005. You may save yourself and those willing to spend their time helping you both time and hassle by consulting this resource before posting what may already be a FAQ. The unofficial FAQ answers 162 of the most frequently asked questions in this newsgroup. Note that only a limited number of FAQ items have been added or modified for Money 2005--those that are derive from my limited experience with the product and on very high profile items in the newsgroup. If you ar...

Modifiable propagation time of Excel's functions?
Hello, Does Excel, by any chances, allow for determining the propagation time of its functions? I am doing a project in which I need the logical operators to return their values after a certain predetermined period of time (e.g. the AND operator to return the value it computes after e.g. 1 second). Thank you very much for your time. Student P.S. If the answer is in the negative, what is the way to achieve it indirectly? ...