Apply a mutiple to a range of cells?

I have a range of cells spanning multiple columns and rows.  I would
like, in my fantasy, to just hightlight all of them and say "multiply
by x" where x is an integer.  Now, I know I can't do that because my
microphone doesn't work, so, other then a macro, is there a way to do
it?

Thanks,

-Jim
0
jtpryan (5)
9/30/2008 1:57:15 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

In an unused cell enter the numnber that you want to multiply by - it can be
an integer or a floating point number - then highlight the range to you want
to mutiply and then right-click and select Paste Special > Multiply > Ok

Don't forget to say "Multipy by x" as you do it. <G>

--
HTH

Sandy
and the crowning place of kings

sandymann2@mailinator.com

"jtpryan" <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a range of cells spanning multiple columns and rows.  I would
> like, in my fantasy, to just hightlight all of them and say "multiply
> by x" where x is an integer.  Now, I know I can't do that because my
> microphone doesn't work, so, other then a macro, is there a way to do
> it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Jim

0
sandymann2 (1054)
9/30/2008 2:19:50 PM
After entering the number in an unused cell, COPY it. Then continue following Sandy's instructions

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Sandy Mann" <sandymann2@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:%23Ss0aewIJHA.3932@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
| In an unused cell enter the numnber that you want to multiply by - it can be
| an integer or a floating point number - then highlight the range to you want
| to mutiply and then right-click and select Paste Special > Multiply > Ok
|
| Don't forget to say "Multipy by x" as you do it. <G>
|
| --
| HTH
|
| Sandy
| In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
| and the crowning place of kings
|
| sandymann2@mailinator.com
| Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
|

| "jtpryan" <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message
| >I have a range of cells spanning multiple columns and rows.  I would
| > like, in my fantasy, to just hightlight all of them and say "multiply
| > by x" where x is an integer.  Now, I know I can't do that because my
| > microphone doesn't work, so, other then a macro, is there a way to do
| > it?
| >
| > Thanks,
| >
| > -Jim

0
nicolaus (2022)
9/30/2008 2:26:53 PM
Thank you for pointing out my faux pas Niek - I was concentrating so much on
the Magical incantation that I omitted to include the vital part!

--
Regards,

"Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> wrote in message
> After entering the number in an unused cell, COPY it. Then continue
> following Sandy's instructions
>
> --
> Kind regards,
>
> Niek Otten
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> "Sandy Mann" <sandymann2@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> | In an unused cell enter the numnber that you want to multiply by - it
> can be
> | an integer or a floating point number - then highlight the range to you
> want
> | to mutiply and then right-click and select Paste Special > Multiply > Ok
> |
> | Don't forget to say "Multipy by x" as you do it. <G>
> |
> | --
> | HTH
> |
> | Sandy
> | In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> | and the crowning place of kings
> |
> | sandymann2@mailinator.com
> | Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> |

> | "jtpryan" <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message

> | >I have a range of cells spanning multiple columns and rows.  I would
> | > like, in my fantasy, to just hightlight all of them and say "multiply
> | > by x" where x is an integer.  Now, I know I can't do that because my
> | > microphone doesn't work, so, other then a macro, is there a way to do
> | > it?
> | >
> | > Thanks,
> | >
> | > -Jim

0
sandymann2 (1054)
9/30/2008 2:31:30 PM
On Sep 30, 10:31=A0am, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Thank you for pointing out my faux pas Niek - I was concentrating so much=
 on
> the Magical incantation that I omitted to include the vital part!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandyma...@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>
> "Niek Otten" <nicol...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> > After entering the number in an unused cell, COPY it. Then continue
> > following Sandy's instructions
>
> > --
> > Kind regards,
>
> > Niek Otten
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> > "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > | In an unused cell enter the numnber that you want to multiply by - it
> > can be
> > | an integer or a floating point number - then highlight the range to y=
ou
> > want
> > | to mutiply and then right-click and select Paste Special > Multiply >=
 Ok

> > | Don't forget to say "Multipy by x" as you do it. <G>
> > |
> > | --
> > | HTH
> > |
> > | Sandy
> > | In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> > | and the crowning place of kings
> > |
> > | sandyma...@mailinator.com
> > | Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> > |

> > | "jtpryan" <jtpr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

..

Thank you all.  Just what I needed.  I did have to stand up when I
spoke though...

-Jim
0
jtpryan (5)
9/30/2008 3:15:11 PM
:-0)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"jtpryan" <jtpryan@gmail.com> wrote in message news:a5dfacf8-4446-45ad-9a3e-27ac26fb1d3a@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
On Sep 30, 10:31 am, "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Thank you for pointing out my faux pas Niek - I was concentrating so much on
> the Magical incantation that I omitted to include the vital part!
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Sandy
> In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> and the crowning place of kings
>
> sandyma...@mailinator.com
> Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
>
> "Niek Otten" <nicol...@xs4all.nl> wrote in message

> > After entering the number in an unused cell, COPY it. Then continue
> > following Sandy's instructions
>
> > --
> > Kind regards,
>
> > Niek Otten
> > Microsoft MVP - Excel
>
> > "Sandy Mann" <sandyma...@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> > | In an unused cell enter the numnber that you want to multiply by - it
> > can be
> > | an integer or a floating point number - then highlight the range to you
> > want
> > | to mutiply and then right-click and select Paste Special > Multiply > Ok
> > |
> > | Don't forget to say "Multipy by x" as you do it. <G>
> > |
> > | --
> > | HTH
> > |
> > | Sandy
> > | In Perth, the ancient capital of Scotland
> > | and the crowning place of kings
> > |
> > | sandyma...@mailinator.com
> > | Replace @mailinator.com with @tiscali.co.uk
> > |

> > | "jtpryan" <jtpr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thank you all.  Just what I needed.  I did have to stand up when I
spoke though...

-Jim

0
nicolaus (2022)

Excel 2000: allow users to edit ranges
I have Excel 2002 SP3 but another user has 2000 SP3. I created a big worksheet but only want him to be able to edit 1 column, so I used the Tools > Protection > Allow users to edit ranges and gave him access to that 1 column. When he opens it in 2000, he can not edit anything without first removing the protection from the entire worksheet. When I go to his Tools > Protection, he only has 3 options: protect sheet; protect workbook; protect and share workbook. He has no allow users to edit ranges option. Was this option not included in Excel 2000? Is there an update or add in f...

deselect cells within a range of cells
I have found this to be most frustrating!!! Windows Explorer allows you to select an entire list of items and then deselect individual items by holding the ctrl key down and clicking the items you wish to deselect. Why does this not work in Excel??????? I have a list of 100 items and wish to deselect about 10 that are randomly dispersed in the selection. This seems to such a simple thing, but I've found no solution. Try this: =INDIRECT("E"&C1) -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all correspondence within the Group, so all m...

Specifying next cell to "jump" to
When a user completes as much of a specified cell range as necessary an wishes to move on to the next range, I would like to give them a option to go "automatically" to the first cell of the next range a opposed to having to tab through the remainder of the range or click i the first cell of the range they wish to go to. For example, the firs range is A10 through D25. After inputting data in D15, the user want to go to the next range, the first cell of which is A30. How can th user most quickly and easily go from D15 to A30? I appreciate your help -- Message posted from http://...

"De-name" cell references in formulas
Hello, I'm working in Excel 2003 SP2, and I'm trying to replace all references to named ranges used within my formulas within a workbook with the underlying absolute cell references. I found a solution in the archives of this newsgroup ( http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.excel/browse_frm/thread/4ebb9d1ee0076045/a0d6406155d03ccc#a0d6406155d03ccc ) , but I can't get it to work (neither the manual version nor the macro version). My only guess is that the behavior has of TransitionFormEntry has changed in Excel 2003. If so, is anyone aware of any other solutions. I found...

simple range problem
what am i doing wrong dim myRange as Range dim iNum as integer iNum= 6 Set myRange = Cells(iNum + 2, 1) myRange.Value = 34 trying to set a cell myRange to cell(8,1) then putting the value 34 into the cell I just tested with xl2002 and it worked fine but why not just cells(inum+2,1)=34 or cells(8,1)=34 -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "cantonarv" <arvindev@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1132661208.982429.309000@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > what am i doing wrong > > dim myRange as Range > dim iNum as integer > iNum= 6 > > Set m...

Locking certain cells
I have an expense reporting template which I have locked certain cells that I do not want changed while allowing input into other cells. This is under the tools functions but its not coming to me right away how I did this. The users do not need to use any passwords --its just certain cells are read-only and cannot be changed unless unlocked. How'd I do this I need to update? Disregard- figured it out again "Scott" wrote: > I have an expense reporting template which I have locked certain cells that I > do not want changed while allowing input into other cells. Th...

IF number is grather than 100 color the cell red
I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 , I want the sell to have the color red. Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? THanks Take a look at format|conditional formatting. Ron Boetger wrote: > > I did this before but I can't remember how I did it. I want to have a > column of numbers and if they are greater than a certain value ie: 120 > , I want the sell to have the color red. > > Any ideas how to do this in Excel 2007? > > THanks -- Dave Peterson ...

Subscript out of range error?
I keep getting a subscript out of range error with this macro. Any help would be great. Public Sub AddSheetToEnd() 'Create a new sheet Dim NewWorksheet As Worksheet Set NewWorksheet = _ Applicaiton.Sheets.Add( _ After:=Worksheets(GetLastSheet), _ Type:=XlSheetType.xlWorksheet) ' Rename the worksheet NewWorksheet.Name = "Added Worksheet" ' Place a title in the worksheet. NewWorksheet.Cells(1, 1) = "Sample Data" ' Add some headings. NewWorksheet.Cells(3, 1) = "Lable" NewWorksheet.Cells(3, 2) = "Data" NewWorksheet.C...

Removing Excess Digits From Cells
I have two lists of numbers that I'd like to use to join two tables in Access. One list has an extra "Check Digit" at the end. I'd like to know how to remove the "Check Digit". (It may not matter but one of the characters in the list of "numbers" is a letter.) I tried to "Format Cells" by typing in one less ###-##-#### but it did not do anything. Hi Raquel, try using the formula =LEFT(E6;1) for a column next to the list and use E6 for every cell... so you get rid of the last digit. Best Markus >-----Original Message----- >I hav...

Named Range launches VB?
Hi, when I start a brand new workbook, enter some numbers in a column and attempt to name the range by typing the name directly into the Name Box (Price), Excel launches VB and prompts for a password to access the VB file. If I use any other name for the range, it works fine. If I create the named range (Price) in Insert-->Name-->Define... it also works. But, why when directly typing Price into the Name box, does it launch VB? Thanks, please post replies here only. Brian in NY Typing a name in the Name Box and pressing Enter does a GoTo if the name exists in the workbook or, s...

Copying Info Into Numerous Cells
I have just completed creating and entering data into thousands of worksheets. Now someone has decided they want to change and add columns to my worksheets. Is there any way to have data copied from 1 cell to another in several worksheets at a time, even if the data is different? If there isn't...I'm going to have a melt-down right here at work! :eek: -- calimari ------------------------------------------------------------------------ calimari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24537 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthr...

external (not remote) data ranges using defined names
I have created a Source file containing information that I want to access from multiple Destination files. From time to time I will need to add rows or columns to the Source file and have this reflected in the Destination workbooks. I am using Validation lists and Defined names to do this and it works OK. As long as the two workbooks are open any changes to the Source file are reflected in the Destination file. But if the Destination is closed while the Source file is being changed, when the Destination is open the reference in the Defined Name has not changed even if the program ask...

How to select a sheet and input data into certain cells
I have 36 sheets, sheet1 is my menu, also on sheet1 I created in colum AB1=1stQTR AC1=2ndQtr AD1=3rdQTR AE1=4thQT AA2=2004 Sheet2 Sheet3 etc . . . AA3=2005 Sheet6 Sheet AA4=2006 Sheet8 Sheet AA5=2007 Sheet4 Sheet I would like to be able to select a year and a quarter and it goes to the sheet, i.e 2005 2ndQtr goes to sheet5 and in a couple of cells input 2005 and 1st Quarter I would also like to be able to print sheet5 and ask me if I want to print it agai or close and upon closing go back to sheet Is there an...

Contacts & accounts searches criteria apply only to active status
When a search criterion is entered in 'look for' field of contacts and accounts search windows, regardless of filters set up in the view the list displayed contains only active accounts. Extarct from recent support advice 'the results show that the filter is hard coded to be active Contacts. Even changing the value of “IsQuickFindQuery” attribute did not affect the behavior.' This fault may be present in all search windows, leads, opportunites etc. An urgent hot fix is required to allow user defined filters in the views (as well as default views) to be 'honoured...

Inserting extra info into a cell
I currently have three columns in a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is used as a bilingual glossary of terms. The first column simply contains the following: ** Now the second column contains my Spanish words and the third column my English words. So, it looks something like this:- ** Hola Hello Now, I wish to import this data into some new software I have however, it requires me to put the word <Spanish> before every words in the second column and <English> before every word in the third column. So, in essence, it will be ** <Spanish>...

Conditional Formatting Across Multiple Cells
I have data file that I want to conditional format Red/Green fill based on >= conditional on a single row of data. In Excel 2003 it was fairly simple to lock a row but not a column and by selecting all the cells to format it would change the column relative to the cell. Just having an issue transitioning to conditional formatting in 2007. Sample Data a b c d 1 goal 10 245 125 2 day1 8 200 76 3 day2 8 250 125 4 day3 15 250 130 5 day4 15 300 150 6 day5 0 100 0 7 Avg 9 220 96 Cells Rows 2 - 7 should be conditional on Row ...

Ignoring blank cells in a combo box...
Is there any way I can ignore blank cells when using a combo box fro the forms menu? For instance, my combo box is being filled by th range A1:A5. However, if A3 is blank, I don't want it ( a blank) t show up in the drop down box. Is there is a more efficient way to d this or it might it be more simple to use a combo box from the contro toolbox? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The combobox from the Forms toolbar is also called a DropDown. And you could use a little code that filled up that dropdown: I chose to put it into the...

Sum values over range of dates
Need Help!!!! PLEASE! Here is the example... If I have a huge table of dates and values for those dates and need to sum based on a given date range, how do I sum it up? date 1 date 2 date 3 date 4 date 5 Sate 1 12 7 8 1 1 State 2 10 4 6 2 8 State 3 5 4 2 3 7 start date end date Sum would be??? Sate 1 2 5 17 State 2 1 3 20 State 3 2 4 9 But what is the formula I can use for this??? How can I set it up so I just need to change start and end dates and it will calculate automatically???? Please help! Thank You!!!! Assume: This data is in the range A1:F4. > date 1 date...

Return a number in one cell to long hand text in another.
Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D9B8E3-3D66-4EA0-9184-57762BD663D6@microsoft.com... > Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Go to Google and search the newsgroups for "spell number" On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:07:02 -0700, "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents ...

Locking cells #3
hi there, I was wondering if it is possible to Lock a cell so that no-one ca enter data into it, the reason behind this is because the cell i update from a different worksheet. Thank you for your time Kind Regards Swmasso -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi It's possible. Simply protect the sheet - by default all cells are locked then. When you want to allow users to access some cells, unlock them before protecting the sheet (Format.Cells.Protection). When you want to restrict the access to some cells only, and to allow for rest of worksheet, then unlock all cells ...

What is the warning triangle in a cell and how do I get rid of it.
I'm using the new Office 2004 for the Mac and first, I hate it! But, how do I get rid of the green (warning?) triangle in the cells. I haven't entered a equation and I have no idea where it came from. Please help. I don't have a Mac but you may be seeing the background error checking flag. If so, you can turn off this feature (in Windows versions at least) under Tools, Options, Error Checking. -- Jim "confused" <confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:71CF7B27-CD53-4E18-805A-7F8FFE79FB27@microsoft.com... > I'm using the new Office 2...

Multiplying cells
I am creating a spread sheet that with each Monday in a calendar year, I am needing to multiply 8 weeks, 13 weeks, and 26 weeks out. Please help =if(weekday(Today()) = 2, date+(8*7),"") format as date Change 8 to 13 and 26 for your other dates. if you need it to show these dates for the remainder of the week =Today()-(weekday(Today())-2)+(8*7) format as date. Again, use this formula and change 8 to 13, then 26 for the other dates. the date would actually advance a week on Sunday. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "jamie" <tscharbrough@quest-grp.com> wrote in message...

help with dynamic range
I wanting to know if this is possible without switching the way I have data entered into a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet I have has column headings of each month, Jan thru Dec, with a total column at the end. Down Column A are row names for several departments. So basically there is a chart that is 12 columns wide (one for each month), and about 30 rows longs (one for each department). Data is entered into this as each month is completed for overtime hours, so as of now, anything past Column August is blank (not including the Total column). I really want to make a chart that would ...

pasting of variable cell value into macro
I have written a macro that runs an autofilter which grabs cell info from a different worksheet within that workbook (an entered date). It then uses that date to autofilter. It works fine the first time, but aparently plugs that info permanently into the macro and will not work on subsequent runs. I need a macro that will grab variable info from a certain cell each time and run with that new cell value each time. Any ideas?. (& yes, I am a newbee) sorry.. Your problem is refreshing the autofilter. It is best to clear the old filter before applying the new filter. Here ...

Problem with Chart drawing blank cells as zero
Hi I am currently trying to create an excel line chart showing cumulative baseline vs Cumulative Actual vs forecast actual lines (the forecast line is a continuation of the Actual to date line) which I have done - but am trying to automate it so it is 'more user friendly' and can be created at the touch of a macro. The problem I am having is that one of the formulae i am using looks up a date in the timescale and if it is in the future I want it to leave the cell bank (using the "" option" - problem is the chart then decides this is not a blank cell it is a zero ...