Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.

Hello all,

I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list.
Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot
append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another
name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to
append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can
enter more than one in a cell from the dd list?

--
Thanks,

Geek using
Office XP Professional

0
geek1668 (53)
9/6/2004 2:32:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Hi Geek

Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this

Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in the
same cell. DataValMultiSelect.xls 39kb

Cheers
JulieD

"Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list.
> Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I
cannot
> append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another
> name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to
> append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can
> enter more than one in a cell from the dd list?
>

> --
> Thanks,
>
> Geek using
> Office XP Professional

0
JulieD1 (2295)
9/6/2004 2:39:45 PM
Hi Julie,

Thanks for the prompt reply! You are a lifesaver. Take care.

--
Thanks,

Geek using
Office XP Professional
"JulieD" <JulieD@hctsReMoVeThIs.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi Geek
>
> Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this
> http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html
>
> Select Multiple Items from Dropdown List-- Select multiple items from a
> dropdown list; an event macro stores selections in adjacent cell, or in
> the
> same cell. DataValMultiSelect.xls 39kb
>

> Cheers
> JulieD
>
> "Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list.
>> Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I
> cannot
>> append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another
>> name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to
>> append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I
>> can
>> enter more than one in a cell from the dd list?
>>

>> --
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Geek using
>> Office XP Professional

0
geek1668 (53)
9/6/2004 2:48:59 PM
Just curious on a slow day.
Why do you use the word "utilize" when use will do the same thing?

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software
"Geek" <geek@geek.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list.
> Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I
cannot
> append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another
> name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to
> append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can
> enter more than one in a cell from the dd list?
>

> --
> Thanks,
>
> Geek using
> Office XP Professional

0
Don

Outlook data files
Can someone tell me and where Outlook saves its data files -- contacts, e-mail, notes, etc. All data is stored in a file with a .PST extension. Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Replies sent to my e-mail address will probably not be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:00b301c39beb$88cb98d0$a401280a@phx.gbl, Doug Maples wrote: > Can someone tell me and where Outlook saves its data > files -- co...

Spreadsheet name in a Cell
I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spreadsheet name and display it in a cell - more or less as "=CELL("row";A1) function is able to return the line number of cell A1 or as "=CELL("filename";C18)" will return the full path of the Excel workbook housing cell C18... Thanks a lot - Alain79 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0002.html -- HTH Bob Phillips "Alain79" <desaivresanospam@free.fr> wrote in message news:ddsce3$94f$1@s1.news.oleane.net... > I am looking for a cell formula that would recover the spre...

sort certain datas in a wide range of datas
Say I have 3 columns with lots of datas: Column A: Order # Column B: Part# Column C: Catergory # A2: Order# 021006 B2: 111 C2: Wire A3: Order# 021006 B3: 222 C3: Machine A4: Order# 021006 B4: 333 C4: Tool A5: Order# 021006 B5: 444 C5: Tape A6: Order# 021007 B6: 222 C6: Machine A7: Order# 021007 B7: 333 C7: Tool A8: Order# 021007 B8: 444 C8: Tape A9: Order# 021008 B9: 111 C9: Wire A10: Order# 021008 B10:222 C10: Machine A11: Order# 021008 B11:555 C11: Bearing What I n...

HowTo add row to series data
1) insert row with ShiftDown 2) apply new data to the newly emptied cells 3) preserve original chart series range 1) after this code row 2 is empty cells Excel.Worksheet chart = (Excel.Worksheet)book.Worksheets["Chart Data"]; Excel.Range rngToday = chart.get_Range("A2", "D2"); rngToday.Insert(Excel.XlInsertShiftDirection.xlShiftDown); 2) this puts todays date into A2 rngToday.NumberFormat = "MM/dd"; rngToday.Value = DateTime.Today; 3) OOPS - the chart data is now A3..A7 because of the insert above How do I reset the souce data to A...

sum values from range of cells if cells correcponding have the sam
hiya, i have a small project and i've spent too much time on this already - can't figure it out myself. What i need to do is to create a formula which will find the same values in column A and will sum the corresponding to them values from columns B:E. this is a sort of result i want to get: A B C D E F RESULT: 1 A1 1 5 2 3 A1 31 2 B5 2 6 3 3 A2 19 3 C1 3 7 4 3 B1 22 4 A1 4 8 5 3 B5 37 5 B5 5 9 6 3 C1 33 6 C2 6 1 6 3 C2 16 7 A2 7 2 7 3 8 B1 8 3 8 3 9 C1 9 4 0 3 I would appreciate any ideas how to do this. Thanks and regards, Assume in G1 down are the unique item...

Transposing data from columns to rows
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3215780710_1600263 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Hi, I have cut and pasted a table from an online database into a spreadsheet. It has pasted into one column. How can I format the data so that each entry appears in one row across various columns. Currently I am transposing each entry individually by paste special. Help! I have 300 to do! --B_3215780710_1600263 Content-type: text/html;...

Exch2003: find unused distribution lists
Hi What's the best way to find which of our distribution lists have not had mail sent to them recently, say the last month? We have 3 Exch 2003 Std servers, single AD domain, 3 AD sites. Thanks, Graeme. On 20 Mar 2007 01:03:00 -0700, graeme.donaldson@gmail.com wrote: >Hi > >What's the best way to find which of our distribution lists have not >had mail sent to them recently, say the last month? We have 3 Exch >2003 Std servers, single AD domain, 3 AD sites. > >Thanks, >Graeme. Haven't got a way of telling you from Active Directory this information. I re...

smart list go tos
I am trying to change the documents: portion with a go to on the window "Purchase Order Processing Document Inquiry" Take a look at my response to this post. However, this was not entirely tested. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?&query=mariano+gomez+SLB&lang=en&cr=US&guid=&sloc=en-us&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&p=1&tid=37216782-e2be-45a4-8d28-6e3f73f11ca5&mid=37216782-e2be-45a4-8d28-6e3f73f11ca5 Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusines...

Something destroying Money data
My MS Money 2007 software was working fine, and then a few months ago, there were transactions missing. I went for backups, and it seemed every time I opened a MOney file there were fewer transactions--it was truly weird. Thinking a file had been accidentally deleted, I used a file recovery program and retrieved file and backup - also no data. So I just put the whole thing aside and out of mind, but tried again today and searched all partitions for mny and mbf files.. Same result, if anything fewer transactions. Is there some virus or other malware that eats Money files? I guess I can d...

XML into DataSet
Hi. I need some help. I have an xml file what will contain hundreds of groups and will have an associated xsd. My overall goal is to have a web application that allows a user to input a groupID from a webform, the application will than find that groupID in the xml file and display all the related information for that group only. I have read my xml into a DataSet and have been able to successful find groupID and display some of the information for that particular group. But I have been unable to navigate to the groupsItems node and subsequently the details of each groupItem found in gro...

Excel example-formula C4+C5 adds before data in C5 Can I get it t.
I'm trying to create a formula (for example): In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is data in C4 & C5? Right now its showing what I have in C4. =if(count(c4:c5)<2,"Not enough values!",c4+c5) New Excel User wrote: > > I'm trying to create a formula (for example): > In cell D5 I want it to add C4+C5. I would like it to work only after there > is data in C5, but not before. How can I get it to work only when there is > data in C4 & C5? R...

Paste Several Values into one Cell
Hi all. I have data in several cells (I2:GJ2) on one row. I want to copy all of this data into one cell as it appears now (in a particular sequence). Is this possible? Thx in advance. Not sure if this is what you want but to concatenate data from several cells into 1 cell, use formula =Concatenate(I2," ",H2," ",G2) just add more cell references with commas and " " to give a space between each cell value for all the cells you want. "sgarrett" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:110F5183-D1CE-4C5A-A7F8-90D01E500FBE@micr...

trouble with copying a cell to other cells.
Info adds +1 (so 3oo goes to 301) and in the same function, 2 stays a 2 when copied to another cell. How do I mark what changes and what doesn't? I found the info posted on a different post. by BenjieLop for Copying a formula 9/20/2004 I want to copy a formula from one cell to several others, it is a basic formula =c5*d12 when i copy and paste the formula changes..( =c6*d13 and so on...) I want the second part d12 to change but i want to anchor the first part somehow so the c5 is constant in every formula c5*d13 c5*d14 etc.. The formula =$C$5*D12 will do the trick ...

adds staff to access list to ALL PROJECTS if same as their departm
A procedure was written to update all projects, adds staff to access list to ALL PROJECTS if they are the same as their home department. It would be useful to know if there were a feature to define default projects by a given criteria - i.e. By department. [d]elete accesslest insert accesslest (PACONTNUMBER, PAPROJNUMBER, EMPLOYID, ContractEntry, ContractInquire, ContractReport, ContractReview, ProjectEntry, ProjectInquire, ProjectReport, ProjectReview, ALEntry, ALInquire, ALReport, ALReview, EEEntry, EEInquire, EEReport, EEReview, ELEntry, ELInquire, ELReport, ELReview, FFEnt...

Change paths to linked external data
Hello. I have a database that has 3 external links in it: 1 is to a table in another Access Database. One is to an excel spread sheet. And, the third is to a .csv file. Is there a way in VBA to change the paths to these? Basically, i want to set up a form where the user can specify the new paths in text boxes if any of these files are moved. Anybody help me out? (Access 2007) cyb3rwolf wrote: >Hello. I have a database that has 3 external links in it: 1 is to a table >in another Access Database. One is to an excel spread sheet. And, the third >is to a .csv...

Delete record(s) in other cells based on value of one cell.
What I have is a protected sheet, where all columns except for 3 are protected. I cannot delete the entire row with protection turned on. So, what I need is to be able to delete the value in these three columns, only when the value in column A is "d". Any clues? Protection must remain on, users are using this spreadsheet and I cannot allow them to have access to the formulas in these other columns. Help...Micheal Provide a macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the work and reprotects the worksheet is one way around the problem. MPope wrote: > > What I have is a ...

XL 2007 : Noty able to move data values in XY Scatter chart
Hi All, In Excel 2003 I can move data values (scattered points) in XY Scatter chart however this functionality is not working in Excel 2007. Any help? Tushar - Search Google for "excel 2007 deprecate chart" and one of the results is http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2006/08/28/724641.aspx which says "Direct Manipulation of Data Points on Charts In Previous versions of Excel, data points on a chart could be dragged, resulting in their source values being changed on the worksheet. This seldom used feature has been deprecated for Excel 2007." - Mike http://www...

Offline address lists Problem
Hi, I´ve a exchange 2000 clustered enviroment in the company, but outlook users didn´t syncronize offline address list, they receive a error. Everything it´s ok in the environment, I configured a server to host the offline address list and the DC´s are OK. What can be the problem? Thanks! -- Gustavo Z. Velozo ...

UI Data Validation using XML Schema
Has anybody done UI data validation usinf XML Schemas. Any pointers will help. Thanks! ...

Copy / Paste Merged Cells
Using Excel 2000, is is possible to copy and paste a range which has merged cells such that the pasted data displays only values. When using paste special and the "formula" option, merged cells will paste into the destination without problems but when using paste special with the "value" option, merged cells will not paste. Is there a way to do this easily and if so, what is it? Thx. Maybe you can copy from the formula bar and paste into the formula bar??? LPS wrote: > > Using Excel 2000, is is possible to copy and paste a range > which has merged cells...

Format Cell Problem #2
Hi, Sorry for all these dumb questions, but I never had any problems with Excel 97. This one is apparently just too complicated for me at my old age. Anyway, thanks for all the help; really appreciate it. So, using Excel 2007, and XP I select a cell that has a number in it with 5 decimal places. I go to Format Cells, and select Number, and tell it to go to 4 decimal places. It won't, and continues to show 5 decimal places. This is also true if I try it on a column of numbers. What am I not doing right ? (I am sure that what appears in the cell is truly a number, and not text.) T...

Cell fill color changes by itself
I have a user who has excel worksheets that they use fill colors. These are colors that they use all the time. Suddenly when she opens the sheets, the colors change by themselves even though no one has changed them. When another user opens the same document, they are the correct colors. It seems random as sometimes the document shows the correct fill colors. ...

Cell Phone/Laptop Client/CRM User Sync Architectural Question...
First let me apologize for this question. I am sure that there is something very simple and obvious that I am missing, but I am told that the only dumb question is the unasked one (said with tongue deeply in cheek!).... Current Situation: Small 25 person company Everyone has account on SBS server; i.e., active directory account All have CRM accounts (CRM V3 with all upgrades) Most have laptops with Outlook 2007/CRM client (with all upgrades) Most have Windows Mobile x (5 or 6) cell phones that sync with Exchange We Want: All of us want to be able to have contact info in our phones for each...

Finding max array value of variable cell range
Hi All, I'm currently stuck in trying to find out to get a max array value from a variable cell range, the data is divided in 5 collums, and the variable cell range should be dependent upon the first column. the maximum value should be available from column c to e. the first colums has blanks in between of variable spaces. I need to get the maximal amount of the array based upon the id code in first column (including the row of the id code, excluding the row of the second id code)... example: A B C D E 12341 data data data etc... 12341 42343 23432 etc.... does ...