Any utilities to remove the ALL the Microsoft formatting tags?

Hi

Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
and export an HTML format file?

This is driving me NUTS.
And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
plus the minimal table structure
and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
and I cant remember what it was called.

I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 2:54:05 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?

have you considered exporting to csv?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/15/2003 3:07:40 PM
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in news:3f65d1e2$0$24105
$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk:

> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is driving me NUTS.
> And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>
> I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> and I cant remember what it was called.
>
> I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

Easiest way to do this is with a text editor that has search-with-
replace, such as UltraEdit.

Here's what ya do:

Save the Excel file as a character delimited file. Lessay you use the
pipe as the separator:           |

So file.xls becomes file.txt

Open file.txt in your text editor and do the following:
(In Ultra Edit,^p is a NEWLINE, ^t is a TAB)

Search for: |
Replace with: </TD><TD>

Next,

Search for: ^p
Replace with: </TD></TR>^p<TR><TD>

Then put a <TABLE> at the top of the file and a </TABLE> at the bottom of
the file.

Voila: A compact, HTML-ized excel table :)

--
Marc Bissonnette
/ Perl / CGI / Database / Dynamic Web Content Control /

Ian M

Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is driving me NUTS.
> And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>
> I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> and I cant remember what it was called.
>
> I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

0
ian1877 (5)
9/15/2003 3:25:22 PM
"William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?
> >

> have you considered exporting to csv?

That's an interesting question - I must
confess I dont think I'd considered it...

But do on then, how does one create a compact
HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
..HTML export)...

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 3:29:15 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:54:05 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is driving me NUTS.
> And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>
> I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> and I cant remember what it was called.
>
> I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from Excel
and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
which is still valid.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since

I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
in it...

Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

> Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) does a pretty good job on Office
> documents. I use TidyUI for my day to day editing, and like it a lot!
>

> Ian M
>

> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?
> >
> > This is driving me NUTS.
> > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
> >
> > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> > plus the minimal table structure
> > and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
> >
> > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> > and I cant remember what it was called.
> >
> > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
> >

> > Ship
> > Shiperton Henethe
> >
> > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 3:38:31 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:29:15 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
>> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>> and export an HTML format file?
>>>

>> have you considered exporting to csv?
>
> That's an interesting question - I must
> confess I dont think I'd considered it...
>
> But do on then, how does one create a compact
> HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
> Dreamweaver (v4)? And then cut and paste into
> the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
> of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
> keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
> .HTML export)...
>
> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
HTML. Access produces clean html.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
Karim
9/15/2003 3:41:29 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe <shiphen@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> what the heck I'm looking at...
>
> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
> in it...

Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux.  You will blow up.  Probably
literally.

Grey

--
The technical axiom that nothing is impossible sinisterly implies the
pitfall corollory that nothing is ridiculous.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=209ADBEE-3FBD-482C-83B0-96FB79B74DED&displaylang=EN

--
McWebber
No email replies read

0
mcwebber (7)
9/15/2003 3:42:23 PM
Shiperton Henethe schrieb:

> "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> > Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> > > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > > and export an HTML format file?
> > >

> > have you considered exporting to csv?
>
> But do on then, how does one create a compact
> HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
> Dreamweaver (v4)?

Yes, you can import csv into DW4.
And don't mix up CVS (Concurrent Versions System)  with CSV (Comma
Separated Value file format).

> And then cut and paste into
> the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
> of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
> keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
> .HTML export)...

You could try the Microsoft Office2000 HTML filter
<http://office.microsoft.com/Assistance/2000/htmlfilter.aspx>: It allows
you to "export to compact HTML", and after that you can run a
customizable filter over your file to remove even more fluff.

But 2500 rows of data in one HTML file seems a bit excessive. Can't you
put that in a database and then only show e.g. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sets
at a time?

Matthias
0
worte (1)
9/15/2003 3:45:05 PM
GreyWyvern wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe <shiphen@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
>> what the heck I'm looking at...
>>
>> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
>> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
>> in it...
>
> Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux.  You will blow up.  Probably
> literally.

Have you used any recent desktop distribution?  They are about as simple to
use as anything else.

Anyway, if you don't want to use a command prompt, try this:

<URL:http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy.html#tidyui>

You see, tidy is a program without a GUI; a lot of Unix software is like
that for various reasons.  End-users usually want a GUI, so people create
wrappers around the base application, Tidy UI is a wrapper for the tidy.exe
program.

--
Jim Dabell

GreyWyvern wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:38:31 +0100, Shiperton Henethe
> <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
>> what the heck I'm looking at...
>>
>> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
>> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
>> in it...
>
> Whatever you do, never, EVER run Linux.  You will blow up.  Probably
> literally.

hoot ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/15/2003 4:10:57 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
>> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>> and export an HTML format file?
>>>

>> have you considered exporting to csv?
>
> That's an interesting question - I must
> confess I dont think I'd considered it...
>
> But do on then, how does one create a compact
> HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
> Dreamweaver (v4)?

d/w and pre-procesing editors have been covered elsewhere in this thread.
Which server-side facilities do you have available?

what are you trying to achieve with this?  surely not display 2,500 rows on
one page?

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/15/2003 4:14:29 PM
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Karim <karim3411@!!yahoo!!.com>
writing in news:1698l7nnvxmh3$.9x4r6v2evc9f.dlg@40tude.net:

> If you have MS Access, you can read in the xls or csv file and export to
> HTML. Access produces clean html.

In what world does Access produce clean code?  Access produces the same
bloat that MS Word and Excel produce.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com

> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> what the heck I'm looking at...
>
> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
> in it...
>
> Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
> What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

IIRC Tidy also works as a plug in for Dreamweaver.  Check the Dreamweaver
documenation.

>> Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) does a pretty good job on Office
>> documents. I use TidyUI for my day to day editing, and like it a lot!
>>

>> Ian M
>>

>> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>> > and export an HTML format file?
>> >
>> > This is driving me NUTS.
>> > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>> >
>> > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data, plus the
>> > minimal table structure and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>> >
>> > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
>> > and I cant remember what it was called.
>> >
>> > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
>> > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>> >

>> > Ship
>> > Shiperton Henethe
>> >
>> > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
>> > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com
0
arbpen (4)
9/15/2003 4:33:16 PM
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Shiperton Henethe"
<shiphen@yahoo.com> writing in news:3f65d1e2$0$24105$afc38c87
@news.easynet.co.uk:

> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is driving me NUTS.
> And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>
> I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> and I cant remember what it was called.
>
> I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

You can use ASCII to Tab at
http://www.jafsoft.com/asctotab/?home&p=asctotab
to convert delimited (csv, asc, txt) to a clean table.

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com
Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?

http://www.finertechnologies.com/index-xls2html.html
http://www.jafsoft.com/doco/a2tdoco.html?help&p=AscToTab

0
nschuyt (2)
9/15/2003 5:01:06 PM
In article <3f65dc4b$0$10774$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, one of infinite monkeys
	at the keyboard of "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> what the heck I'm looking at...

AccessValet will do it for you.  I wouldn't normally recommend it over Tidy
for this particular task, but it does come with a full GUI:-)

http://valet.webthing.com/access/

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html
0
nick1478 (2)
9/15/2003 5:46:11 PM
Hi Shiperton,
Why generate it and strip it out.

If you are into writing your own HTML,  I would suggest taking a look
at my webpage    on  HTML conversion from Excel
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm

I write my own HTML code and the macro to generate the tables
needed   without gray row and column headings   XL2HTML
or with the headings  from macro  XL2HTMLx
based on the current selection.

If you seriously want values without formatting you can use
..value   instead   of   .text    but your dates are not going to
look like dates, for instance.

Most of the tables on my pages were generated with earlier versions of
the macro.   I broke down and did add color, and alignment justifications,
which is a simple tradeoff compared to  3 to 10 times the amount from
Excel or Front Page.

No trial versions,  you have the macro to change for your own use.
The code is at
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/xl2htmlx.txt

Instructions to install macro coding

The current  Microsoft Office solution is to generate all the
horrendous code with all the round-tripping code and then
run the    Office 2000 HTML Filter
to remove the round tripping code.  But it is still going
to have the junk to make it look just like an Excel page,
overriding formatting that HTML generally does much better
left to it's own devices..
---
HTH,

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote ...
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/15/2003 6:35:25 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> what the heck I'm looking at...
>
> I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
> it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
> in it...
>
> Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
> What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!

The original tidy is a command line program. There is a windows GUI
version downloadable at
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/ablavier/TidyGUI/TidyGUI-exe.zip

You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
done - but not make the changes to your original until you click 'replace'.

Hope that helps,

Ian M

PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!

0
ian1877 (5)
9/15/2003 6:39:44 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:55:35 +0100, Ian Miller
<ian@overmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> Hope that helps,
>
> Ian M
>
> PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!

But double-posting is okay, right? ;P

Grey

--

version downloadable at http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy/tidyui.zip

You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
done - but not make the changes to your original until you click 'replace'.

Hope that helps,

Ian M

PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!

>>Tidy (http://tidy.sourceforge.net/) does a pretty good job on Office
>>documents. I use TidyUI for my day to day editing, and like it a lot!
>>

>>Ian M
>>

>>Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>>
>>>Hi
>>>
>>>Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>>Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>>and export an HTML format file?
>>>
>>>This is driving me NUTS.
>>>And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>>>
>>>I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
>>>plus the minimal table structure
>>>and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>>>
>>>I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
>>>and I cant remember what it was called.
>>>
>>>I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
>>>for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>>>

>>>Ship
>>>Shiperton Henethe
>>>
>>>p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
>>>to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

0
ian1877 (5)
9/15/2003 6:55:35 PM
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3f65d1e2$0$24105$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...

> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?

This is Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0.

"The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved as
HTML."

I don't know how it works.
Made by MS, so don't expect miracles.
http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

You can also use HTML Tidy.
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

altamir
0
altamir (1)
9/15/2003 7:01:06 PM
GreyWyvern wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 19:55:35 +0100, Ian Miller
> <ian@overmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Hope that helps,
>>
>> Ian M
>>
>> PS - apologies for top-posting earlier - i don't know what came over me!
>

> But double-posting is okay, right? ;P
>
> Grey

Grrr - first one had wrong url. I cancelled it but clearly it hasn't
propagated properly.

Ian M

0
ian1877 (5)
9/15/2003 7:20:51 PM
"Matthias Gutfeldt" <worte@gmx.at> wrote in message
> Shiperton Henethe schrieb:
> >
> > "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > have you considered exporting to csv?
> >
> > But do on then, how does one create a compact
> > HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
> > Dreamweaver (v4)?
>
> Yes, you can import csv into DW4.
> And don't mix up CVS (Concurrent Versions System)  with CSV (Comma
> Separated Value file format).

No that's the whole point. It crashes my DW4!
(Even on small files...)

> > And then cut and paste into
> > the file where I need it. (There are 2500 rows
> > of data, mind you, which may be why Dreamweaver
> > keeps crashing whenever I try read msExcel's
> > .HTML export)...
>
> You could try the Microsoft Office2000 HTML filter
> <http://office.microsoft.com/Assistance/2000/htmlfilter.aspx>: It allows
> you to "export to compact HTML", and after that you can run a
> customizable filter over your file to remove even more fluff.

Is that safe to run in Office 2002?!
Have Micro$oft genuinely neither built it into Office2002
nor created a filter for 2002?   Pah!   :-[

> But 2500 rows of data in one HTML file seems a bit excessive. Can't you
> put that in a database and then only show e.g. 10, 20, 50, or 100 sets
> at a time?
Nope!

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 7:33:26 PM
> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> > "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
> >>>

> >> have you considered exporting to csv?
> >
> > That's an interesting question - I must
> > confess I dont think I'd considered it...
> >
> > But do on then, how does one create a compact
> > HTML table from CVS? Can you import it into
> > Dreamweaver (v4)?
>
> d/w and pre-procesing editors have been covered elsewhere in this thread.
> Which server-side facilities do you have available?
None.
Client side only.

> what are you trying to achieve with this?  surely not display 2,500 rows
on
> one page?
Yes. Why not?!
We are trying to make a point about how many successful bids have
been made on our site. If our customers REALLY want to see them all
then that's fine we let them. The first 100 or so are in their own
table so the appear first...

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 7:36:04 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> "William Tasso" <ngx@tbdata.com> wrote in message
>>Which server-side facilities do you have available?
> None.
> Client side only.

pity

>> what are you trying to achieve with this?  surely not display 2,500
>> rows on one page?
> Yes. Why not?!
> We are trying to make a point about how many successful bids have
> been made on our site. If our customers REALLY want to see them all
> then that's fine we let them. The first 100 or so are in their own
> table so the appear first...

it can be good to shine a little light on your successes but 2,500 rows
seems a little OTT - but it's your site ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/15/2003 7:43:16 PM
> > Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> > what the heck I'm looking at...
> >
> > I downloaded something called tidy.exe, and when I ran
> > it all I got was a big black box. With a flashing cursor
> > in it...
> >
> > Maybe I'm too stupid to use this thing...
> > What do I download for msWindows2000 (and WinXP)?!
> >

> > Ship
> > Shiperton Henethe
>
> The original tidy is a command line program. There is a windows GUI
> version downloadable at http://users.rcn.com/creitzel/tidy/tidyui.zip
>
> You should be able to download this, unzip it, and run the program. Then
> load your exported HTML, then click 'Tidy!'. It will tell you what it's
> done - but not make the changes to your original until you click
'replace'.

> Hope that helps,

I tried this (twice) but for some reason it didnt change anything
when I saved it. (I am using win2K)

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 7:54:51 PM

> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?
> >
> > This is driving me NUTS.
> > And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
> >
> > I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> > plus the minimal table structure
> > and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
> >
> > I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
> > and I cant remember what it was called.
> >
> > I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
> > for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
> >

> > Ship
> > Shiperton Henethe
> >
> > p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> > to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!
>
> I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from
Excel
> and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
> tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
> which is still valid.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!   >>>:-[

Is it just me?

This kind of persistent Microsoft-dominate-the-planet
-and-screw-who-is-inconvenienced (by having to
download bloated HTML...)

....makes me so cross I can scarely speak.

Gads!

If they want to take over the planet
all I can say is that they need to
do so a damned site more ethically.

Frankly it's the sort of thing that spawns terrorists.

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 8:00:35 PM
"McWebber" <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> >
> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=209ADBEE-3FBD-482C-83B0-96FB79B74DED&displaylang=EN

Is there a version for Office 2002?

How are we supposed to know if this will work in Office 2002?
*Why* isnt this built into 2002?  Pah.

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 8:02:11 PM
"Nico Schuyt" <nschuyt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?
>
> http://www.finertechnologies.com/index-xls2html.html

Absolutely no way!
I am NOT going to spend over 20 dollars let along 100
on this f***ing microsoft-created problem.

> http://www.jafsoft.com/doco/a2tdoco.html?help&p=AscToTab
No use.
I tried it but it failed to align much of the data
in their correct TDs.

Ship
Shiperton Henether

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 8:14:24 PM
"Altamir" <altamir@wp.pl> wrote in message
> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> > Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> > Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> > and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0.
>
> "The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
> Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved as
> HTML."
>
> I don't know how it works.
> Made by MS, so don't expect miracles.
> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx

Nope. it wont even install with Office 2002!!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 8:20:18 PM
"Nick Kew" <nick@fenris.webthing.com> wrote in message
> In article <3f65dc4b$0$10774$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, one of infinite
monkeys
> at the keyboard of "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Sounds promising but - Gad streuth!! -  I cant understand
> > what the heck I'm looking at...
>
> AccessValet will do it for you.  I wouldn't normally recommend it over
Tidy
> for this particular task, but it does come with a full GUI:-)
>
> http://valet.webthing.com/access/

As far as I can tell it cost GBP 40 or 60.

Am I mad or deranged or something?
But I find it somehow sticks in my gullet to
have to lash out hard earnt cash
simply because Microsoft are scr*wing us.

They obviously felt guilty enough to produce
a compact HTML version for Office 2000 but
guess what? No Office 2002 version!

Those b*st*rds!

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 8:26:08 PM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:20:18 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> "Altamir" <altamir@wp.pl> wrote in message
>> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>> and export an HTML format file?
>>
>> This is Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0.
>>
>> "The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
>> Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved as
>> HTML."
>>
>> I don't know how it works.
>> Made by MS, so don't expect miracles.
>> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx
>
> Nope. it wont even install with Office 2002!!
>

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe

Use Access 2002 ti import, then export.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
Karim
9/15/2003 10:01:53 PM
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?

I just add new columns with the HTML codes and save as a tab-separated text
file.

In other words, I add a new column 'A' and each cell in that column is
each line and add another at the end... "</td></tr>".  Save as a text file
and it's easy to work with.

0
anon1 (58)
9/15/2003 10:05:14 PM
In article <3f661fb4$0$24110$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, one of infinite monkeys
	at the keyboard of "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> As far as I can tell it cost GBP 40 or 60.

Indeed, and I said I wouldn't normally recommend it over Tidy for
this particular task - which is the primary function of Tidy but a
secondary function of AccessValet.

> But I find it somehow sticks in my gullet to
> have to lash out hard earnt cash
> simply because Microsoft are scr*wing us.

Huh?  So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?  Does that extend to
embracing M$'s viruses and refusing to use any antivirus?

> Those b*st*rds!

Can't help that.

[1] unless you're proclaiming yourself a pirate?

--
Nick Kew

In urgent need of paying work - see http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html
0
nick1478 (2)
9/15/2003 10:45:14 PM
"Karim" <karim3411@!!yahoo!!.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 21:20:18 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>

> > "Altamir" <altamir@wp.pl> wrote in message
> >> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> This is Office 2000 HTML Filter 2.0.
> >>
> >> "The Office HTML Filter is a tool you can use to remove
> >> Office-specific markup tags embedded in Office 2000 documents saved as
> >> HTML."
> >>
> >> I don't know how it works.
> >> Made by MS, so don't expect miracles.
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/Msohtmf2.aspx
> >
> > Nope. it wont even install with Office 2002!!
> >

> > Ship
> > Shiperton Henethe
>
> Use Access 2002 ti import, then export.

I've not tried it. But rumour has it that it leaves
microsoft crud as well.

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/15/2003 11:13:12 PM
Nick Kew wrote:

> So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
> software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?

Though I'm loath to come to the defense of MS, I think it fair to
point out that producing html is a secondary feature of Excel.  One
might, thus, fork over money for a functioning spreadsheet program,
and be disappointed with its support for html.  Note that I do believe
you should be paid for your work.  That is not the issue.

--
Brian
follow the directions in my address to email me

0
usenet11 (2)
9/16/2003 2:34:03 AM
S.T. wrote:
> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>and export an HTML format file?
>
> I just add new columns with the HTML codes and save as a tab-separated text
> file.
>
> In other words, I add a new column 'A' and each cell in that column is
> each line and add another at the end... "</td></tr>".  Save as a text file
> and it's easy to work with.

Clever.  And since Excel lets you hide columns, it can still be a
functioning worksheet.

--
Brian
follow the directions in my address to email me

0
usenet11 (2)
9/16/2003 2:54:24 AM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> Nico Schuyt wrote
>> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>> and export an HTML format file?

>> http://www.finertechnologies.com/index-xls2html.html

> Absolutely no way!
> I am NOT going to spend over 20 dollars let along 100
> on this f***ing microsoft-created problem.

LOL. The time you spent so far on this problem costs you a lot more then $20
:-)
But if you want a free solution:
- Create a suitable table in MySQL
- Import the CSV
- Create the HTML table with a PHP script.
Makes it very easy to reload new data.
PHP and MySQL are free.

Regards, Nico

0
nschuyt (2)
9/16/2003 6:49:22 AM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:

>>>Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>>>Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>>>and export an HTML format file?
>>>
>>>This is driving me NUTS.
>>>And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.
>>>
>>>I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
>>>plus the minimal table structure
>>>and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!
>>>
>>>I did have a utility but it was on my previous PC
>>>and I cant remember what it was called.
>>>
>>>I would be prepared to pay no more than say GBP 10.00
>>>for such a utility (which I only need every couple of months...)
>>>

>>>Ship
>>>Shiperton Henethe
>>>
>>>p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
>>>to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!
>>
>>I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from
>
> Excel
>
>>and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
>>tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
>>which is still valid.
>

> Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!   >>>:-[
>
> Is it just me?
>
> This kind of persistent Microsoft-dominate-the-planet
> -and-screw-who-is-inconvenienced (by having to
> download bloated HTML...)
>
> ...makes me so cross I can scarely speak.
>
> Gads!
>
> If they want to take over the planet
> all I can say is that they need to
> do so a damned site more ethically.
>
> Frankly it's the sort of thing that spawns terrorists.
>
> Ship

It's Karim. He is an expert at dispelling incorrect information.

If he says something, the truth is probably the opposite.

You are right :-)

0
davidvb (3)
9/16/2003 10:35:40 AM
> In article <3f661fb4$0$24110$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>, one of infinite
monkeys
> at the keyboard of "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > As far as I can tell it cost GBP 40 or 60.
>
> Indeed, and I said I wouldn't normally recommend it over Tidy for
> this particular task - which is the primary function of Tidy but a
> secondary function of AccessValet.
>
> > But I find it somehow sticks in my gullet to
> > have to lash out hard earnt cash
> > simply because Microsoft are scr*wing us.
>
> Huh?  So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
> software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?  Does that extend to
> embracing M$'s viruses and refusing to use any antivirus?

Happy?
No, not remotely happy.
But they've got me.
I am a freelance consultant. I am in business.
I live in the real world. I *have* to go with the
defacto standards when sharing files and data.
They own the operating system and the primarly business
applications. (No company should IMHO be allowed to make both)
It's a monopoly.
And realistically I have no choice.

Wrong, I am happy to fork out a few quid for utilities but no more.

If there was a decent fast alternative to MSIE I would use it too.
For a few quid. (Netscape blew that one badly!)

Other thinkgs being equal I would go to long lengths
to avoid Microsoft. But usually they arent equal.
FWIW, I use Norton Anti-virus, which seems okay so far.

The cost of catching a virus far exceeds the 100 quid
a year or so.

Again I have no choice but to USE an anti-virus utility.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/16/2003 10:49:02 AM
"Brian" <usenet1@mangymutt.com.invalid-remove-this-part> wrote in message
> Nick Kew wrote:
> >
> > So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
> > software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?
>
> Though I'm loath to come to the defense of MS, I think it fair to
> point out that producing html is a secondary feature of Excel.  One
> might, thus, fork over money for a functioning spreadsheet program,
> and be disappointed with its support for html.  Note that I do believe
> you should be paid for your work.  That is not the issue.

The issue is that Microsoft were bullied into producing
a compact HTML version, for Office 2000 but have deliberately
not produced an Office2002 version. Why not?
Because they want *their* standards to become defacto.

Just like the O/S and browsers have become.

This is the unacceptable face of capitalism.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/16/2003 10:52:16 AM

> If there was a decent fast alternative to MSIE I would use it too.
> For a few quid. (Netscape blew that one badly!)

Opera? http://www.opera.com/

Firebird? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/

Doubtless countless others too. You should try some and see.

Ian M

0
ian1877 (5)
9/16/2003 11:13:35 AM
"Ian Miller" <ian@overmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > If there was a decent fast alternative to MSIE I would use it too.
> > For a few quid. (Netscape blew that one badly!)
> >
> Opera? http://www.opera.com/
>
> Firebird? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
>
> Doubtless countless others too. You should try some and see.

As a professional web developer I'm only really very interested
in things with < 1 or 2% penetration...

I did try opera years ago but found it confusing/irritating.

Might try again sometime I guess

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/16/2003 11:37:33 AM
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?

Okay I think I've found it folks.

Detagger from
http://www.jafsoft.com/detagger/
At $20 that's at the top of what I'd be prepared
to pay, but I just got it to strip out almost everything
from Microscoft. XLnt! I shall propably buy.

Sadly it left behind some of the header, but you cant
have *everything* I guess. I've alerted the developers
in either case.

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/16/2003 11:40:50 AM
 On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:52:16 +0100 "Shiperton Henethe"
<shiphen@yahoo.com> broke off from drinking a cup of tea at [posted
via Easynet UK] to write:

>"Brian" <usenet1@mangymutt.com.invalid-remove-this-part> wrote in message
>> Nick Kew wrote:
>> >
>> > So you're happy to fork out large sums to Microsoft for defective
>> > software[1], but not to a third party to fix it?
>>
>> Though I'm loath to come to the defense of MS, I think it fair to
>> point out that producing html is a secondary feature of Excel.  One
>> might, thus, fork over money for a functioning spreadsheet program,
>> and be disappointed with its support for html.  Note that I do believe
>> you should be paid for your work.  That is not the issue.
>
>The issue is that Microsoft were bullied into producing
>a compact HTML version, for Office 2000 but have deliberately
>not produced an Office2002 version. Why not?
>Because they want *their* standards to become defacto.
>
>Just like the O/S and browsers have become.
>
>This is the unacceptable face of capitalism.

AKA "globalisation" as distinct from "free trade".

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencycloapedia.com

> Other thinkgs being equal I would go to long lengths
> to avoid Microsoft. But usually they arent equal.
> FWIW, I use Norton Anti-virus, which seems okay so far.
>
> The cost of catching a virus far exceeds the 100 quid
> a year or so.
>
> Again I have no choice but to USE an anti-virus utility.

Well, if you have a firewall and don't open attachments you should never get
a virus.
There are routers that will connect to your modem even if you're not on a
cable/DSL line.

--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 12:19:36 PM
"Ian Miller" <ian@overmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> > If there was a decent fast alternative to MSIE I would use it too.
> > For a few quid. (Netscape blew that one badly!)
> >
> Opera? http://www.opera.com/
>
> Firebird? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
>
> Doubtless countless others too. You should try some and see.

If you're designing sites for the rest of the world and don't run IE you
have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 12:20:20 PM
McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:
> If you're designing sites for the rest of the world and don't run IE you have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're using.

Alexander
--
___________________ ______________________ _____________________________
                   |                      |
"Alexander Johannesen" <alex@shelter.nu> wrote in message
> McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:
> > If you're designing sites for the rest of the world and don't run IE you
have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.

> I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
> pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're using.

No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has
< 1% penetration.
I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.
--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 12:48:30 PM
� tried:
>> I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
>> pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're
>> using.

McWebber replied:
> No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has < 1% penetration.

Ah, the arrogant and - more important - misguided angle.

> I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

So because *you* don't have Opera installed and because *you* don't
see a need for it, there are no others in the universe that should
have to use Opera because ... because - maybe - the universe really
spins around your axis?

Alexander
--
___________________ ______________________ _____________________________
                   |                      |
http://shelter.nu/ | alex at shelter . nu | http://shelter.nu/xsiteable/
___________________|______________________|_____________________________
0
alex7582 (5)
9/16/2003 1:06:33 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> "Ian Miller" <ian@overmill.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>>If there was a decent fast alternative to MSIE I would use it too.
>>>For a few quid. (Netscape blew that one badly!)
>>>

>>Opera? http://www.opera.com/
>>
>>Firebird? http://www.mozilla.org/products/firebird/
>>
>>Doubtless countless others too. You should try some and see.
>

> As a professional web developer I'm only really very interested
> in things with < 1 or 2% penetration...
>
> I did try opera years ago but found it confusing/irritating.
>
> Might try again sometime I guess

I suggest you do, because IMO (and theirs!) Opera is a very fast
browser. It also has some pretty cool tricks up its sleeve. 7 is a very
big improvement.

Mozilla/Firebird is also a good browser but I find it just an itsy bitsy
bit slower, which is very very annoying.

0
davidvb (3)
9/16/2003 1:13:45 PM
McWebber wrote:

> "Alexander Johannesen" <alex@shelter.nu> wrote in message
>
>>McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:
>>
>>>If you're designing sites for the rest of the world and don't run IE you
>
> have no idea what the rest of the world is seeing.
>
>>I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
>>pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're using.
>>

> No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that has
> < 1% penetration.
> I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.

Do you want a medal?

I do believe that has nothing to do with Ship's problem.

0
davidvb (3)
9/16/2003 1:14:41 PM
> � tried:
> >> I'm sure what you mean to say is that you should check that your
> >> pages don't fail in IE as an addition to whatever browser you're
> >> using.
>
> McWebber replied:
> > No, I mean you are wasting your time even bothering with a browser that
has < 1% penetration.

> Ah, the arrogant and - more important - misguided angle.
>
> > I don't have Opera installed, I see no need for it.
>
> So because *you* don't have Opera installed and because *you* don't
> see a need for it, there are no others in the universe that should
> have to use Opera because ... because - maybe - the universe really
> spins around your axis?

It's not my axis, it's reality. If you design a site and it doesn't work in
IE there's not much point in putting it online unless you don't want most of
the world to see the site.  You can use Opera. You can build your own
browser. It has no effect on anything if *you* don't use IE. I just don't
see the point in using Opera or any other browser as IE works fine for me
and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 1:48:02 PM
McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:
> If you design a site and it doesn't work in IE there's not much point in putting it online unless you don't want most of the world to see the site.

Uh, this is why I said at first that you test your pages in IE also.
It isn't hard as most Windows OS'es comes with one.

> You can use Opera. You can build your own browser. It has no effect on anything if *you* don't use IE.

Huh? What do you mean by "it", and that "it" has no effect on anything
I do? My choice of a non-IE browser effects a great deal of things
around me, so what are you referring to?

> I just don't
> see the point in using Opera or any other browser as IE works fine for me and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
you're missing? And if not in features, then in gained security and
standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?

Alexander
--
___________________ ______________________ _____________________________
                   |                      |
http://shelter.nu/ | alex at shelter . nu | http://shelter.nu/xsiteable/
___________________|______________________|_____________________________
0
alex7582 (5)
9/16/2003 2:03:48 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:35:40 +1000, David Venn-Brown wrote:

>>>I tried to use Dreamweaver MX 2004 to clean a html file produced from
>>
>> Excel
>>
>>>and it said "Nothing to clean up!". If there are no redundant or empty
>>>tags, a cleanup utility won't be of much help. Excel produces verbose html
>>>which is still valid.
>>

>> Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!   >>>:-[
>>
>> Is it just me?
>>
>> This kind of persistent Microsoft-dominate-the-planet
>> -and-screw-who-is-inconvenienced (by having to
>> download bloated HTML...)
>>
>> ...makes me so cross I can scarely speak.
>>
>> Gads!
>>
>> If they want to take over the planet
>> all I can say is that they need to
>> do so a damned site more ethically.
>>
>> Frankly it's the sort of thing that spawns terrorists.
>>
>> Ship
>
> It's Karim. He is an expert at dispelling incorrect information.
>
> If he says something, the truth is probably the opposite.
>
> You are right :-)

David.. you're a troll. Next time prove your ignorance by quoting the
misinformation I am posting.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
Karim
9/16/2003 2:42:21 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:40:50 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>> and export an HTML format file?
>>

> Okay I think I've found it folks.
>
> Detagger from
> http://www.jafsoft.com/detagger/
> At $20 that's at the top of what I'd be prepared
> to pay, but I just got it to strip out almost everything
> from Microscoft. XLnt! I shall propably buy.
>
> Sadly it left behind some of the header, but you cant
> have *everything* I guess. I've alerted the developers
> in either case.

Detagger is a good product. I use it myself. Note there's also a developer
edition with APIs if you want to incorporate it in your apps.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
Karim
9/16/2003 2:47:34 PM
> > You can use Opera. You can build your own browser. It has no effect on
anything if *you* don't use IE.

> Huh? What do you mean by "it", and that "it" has no effect on anything
> I do? My choice of a non-IE browser effects a great deal of things
> around me, so what are you referring to?

Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summber
because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the gas station? I
have never seen anything around me affected when I use Netscape. Maybe I'm
just not using the right browser.

> > I just don't
> > see the point in using Opera or any other browser as IE works fine for
me and I need to see what my sites look like in IE.

> Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
> you're missing?

I'm missing something? Will I see the winnning lotto numbers before they're
picked if I surf with Opera instead of IE? What features am I missing?

> And if not in features, then in gained security and
> standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?

I'm concerned with how sites look and what I can read and find online. I
have never had a security issue as my settings and hardware take care of
that.

--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 7:34:56 PM
> > It's Karim. He is an expert at dispelling incorrect information.
> >
> > If he says something, the truth is probably the opposite.
> >
> > You are right :-)
>
> David.. you're a troll. Next time prove your ignorance by quoting the
> misinformation I am posting.

Yes, be careful not to quote Karim's misinformation. You don't want to be
blamed.

--
McWebber
No email replies read
If someone tells you to forward an email to all your friends
please forget that I'm your friend.

0
mcwebber (7)
9/16/2003 7:36:24 PM
McWebber wrote:

> Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the
> summber because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the
> gas station? I have never seen anything around me affected when I use
> Netscape. Maybe I'm just not using the right browser.

pfft - don't be silly.  Temperature control is a hardware issue.  Change
your monitor not your browser ;o)

--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/16/2003 7:41:53 PM
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:40:50 +0100, Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>

> > "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> >> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> >> and export an HTML format file?
> >>

> > Okay I think I've found it folks.
> >
> > Detagger from
> > http://www.jafsoft.com/detagger/
> > At $20 that's at the top of what I'd be prepared
> > to pay, but I just got it to strip out almost everything
> > from Microscoft. XLnt! I shall propably buy.
> >
> > Sadly it left behind some of the header, but you cant
> > have *everything* I guess. I've alerted the developers
> > in either case.
>
> Detagger is a good product. I use it myself. Note there's also a developer
> edition with APIs if you want to incorporate it in your apps.

My main complaint about it is that I couldnt refind it
very easily when I'd forgotten it's name!!

I also think it's fractionally over priced at $20 USD.
I'd rather see it at $10 USD. And I'd rather see a 60 day
expiry time than 30 days, because I need it so rarely.
But when I need it I really need it!
Or maybe a completely voluntary $20...?

Also it didnt make it into tucows.com, apparently because
it doesnt *look* sexy enough.

But compared to anything else I could find in the time
available I found it totally intuitive and totally *EXCELLENT*.
And I am a very harsh critic!

All of which makes me dispare of tucows.com.
Can anyone recommend anthing better
than tucows.com?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)

http://www.sf.net/ ?

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
playing://the_beatles/blue_cd1/05_lucy_in_the_sky_with_diamonds.ogg

As I understand your question, you are specifically interested in
converting an Excel worksheet into HTML.   My macros are set
up to work from a selection but you can change them to whatever
you want on your own computer.

You looked at  tidy   http://tidy.sourceforge.net/
though what they gave you was a link to a zip file.
I use HTML-Kit which you will see as a link on the tidy webpage.   It incorporates
Tidy  and I am quite happy with it.  But   HTML-Kit is for
editing HTML code,  and (PF9) checking it's syntax (using tidy).   So I
doubt very much that tidy was what you are looking for as
you would have to provide it with your completed HTML code,
and it does not strip out Office code.

The  Office 2000 HTML filter should work with the HTML output
from  Excel 2002  just like it does with the HTML output from
Excel 2000.   Basically it has nothing to do with Excel, you run
it afterwards.  It is just going to eliminate the round-tripping code
(Excel --> HTML --> Word --> Access --> Excel --> Word ),  it is
not going to eliminate the extra garbage to maintain fontsize,
cell widths etc that you do not want.

If you are into writing your own HTML,  I would once more suggest
taking a look at my webpage    on  HTML conversion from Excel
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm

I have generated some sample HTML output from an Excel file
204 KB using Save As  HTML  from Excel,   using the macros
at my site was 59 KB,  you can check out the files yourself at:
  http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm#comparison

Instructions to install macro coding

The code is at
   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/xl2htmlx.txt

I write my own HTML code and the macro to generate the tables
needed   without gray row and column headings   XL2HTML
or with the headings  from macro  XL2HTMLx
based on the current selection.

Most of the tables on my pages were generated with earlier versions of
the macro.   I broke down and did add color, and alignment justifications,
which is a simple tradeoff compared to  3 to 10 times the amount from
Excel or Front Page.

The current  Microsoft Office solution is to generate all the
horrendous code with all the round-tripping code and then
run the    Office 2000 HTML Filter
to remove the round tripping code.  But it is still going
to have the junk to make it look just like an Excel page,
overriding formatting that HTML generally does much better
left to it's own devices..
---
HTH,

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote ...
> I literally just want "compact HTML" - ie just the data,
> plus the minimal table structure
> and *NO FORMATTING CODES* of any sort!!

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/16/2003 11:44:52 PM
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:34:56 -0400, McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:

> Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the summber because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the gas station?

No, but I *do* see happy customers during test-phases that realise that
the designs and pages I make looks perfect in *all* browsers. I *do* see
less pop-up ads. (In fact, I see none) I *do* see the lack of bloody
spyware that attaches themselves to the IE backbone. I *do* see an
increase in security, and the lack of needing to patch the browser
everytime I boot because some "Windows Update" tells me that there is
*yet* another _critical_ security issue with that piece of crap browser.
Oh, and I *do* see XHTML when application/xhtml+xml mimetype is used.
I *do* see an increase in productivity. I *do* see webpages much faster
than you. I *do* see people around me get impressed when I show them what
they are missing in their everyday surfing.

So there are many things around me that happens *because* I use this
browser, and they are all positive things.

> have never seen anything around me affected when I use Netscape. Maybe I'm just not using the right browser.

And of course doing something about it is beyond you? :)

>> Works for you? Are you sure that isn't because you don't know what
>> you're missing?
>
> I'm missing something? Will I see the winnning lotto numbers before they're picked if I surf with Opera instead of IE? What features am I missing?

Well, for starters, it would be good to keep the allegories to something
that slightly resembles the topic we're discussing, like features of
the browsers, security issues, speed and maintainability of them, and
so forth. *Any* browser that I know of has all these things better
than IE, so I'm still puzzled as to why use IE at all.

>> And if not in features, then in gained security and
>> standards-compliance? Or doesn't that mean anything to you?
>
> I'm concerned with how sites look and what I can read and find online.

We all are.

Alexander
--
___________________ ______________________ _____________________________
                   |                      |
http://shelter.nu/ | alex at shelter . nu | http://shelter.nu/xsiteable/
___________________|______________________|_____________________________
0
alex7582 (5)
9/17/2003 6:21:58 AM
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:05:14 GMT, "S.T." <anon@anon.com> wrote:

>"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
>> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
>> and export an HTML format file?
>
>I just add new columns with the HTML codes and save as a tab-separated text
>file.
>
>In other words, I add a new column 'A' and each cell in that column is
>each line and add another at the end... "</td></tr>".  Save as a text file
>and it's easy to work with.

I actually do this for one page I maintain as I find it convenient to
resort the data using Excel before updating the .html file when I've
appended more content to the Excel data.

I don't however bother to save as a text file as I simply select all
the data (including all the mark-up columns) and copy and then paste
between <table> and </table> in my text editor and then use replace
all to replace all the tab characters introduced with the paste from
Excel with nothing. You can safely do this to your .html file as it
shouldn't contain any existing tab characters.

--
Bob
Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but does it conflate two

Everyone seems to agree that the page designer must test pages on
IE. However, that does not dictate the development environment, for
which some other browser may be preferred. I have used Opera and
then galeon (mozilla) for several reasons, one simple one being that I
don't normally run Windows.

If I've designed something under galeon that does not look good with
IE, I go back to make it look as good as I can with both, which would
have been my goal if I had developed under IE. Also, my concern is not
necessarily which browser happens to be most popular now, but which
sticks closest to standards, for that seems to be the best way to
design for future use, rather than to rely entirely on guessing
popularity trends.
--
      Haines Brown
	brownh@hartford-hwp.com

0
brownh (1)
9/17/2003 1:38:52 PM
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:38:52 GMT, Haines Brown wrote:

> Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but does it conflate two
> different issues: a) with what browser should we check our pages, b)
> what browser do we find most comfortable to use as a design
> environment?
>
> Everyone seems to agree that the page designer must test pages on
> IE. However, that does not dictate the development environment, for
> which some other browser may be preferred. I have used Opera and
> then galeon (mozilla) for several reasons, one simple one being that I
> don't normally run Windows.
>
> If I've designed something under galeon that does not look good with
> IE, I go back to make it look as good as I can with both, which would
> have been my goal if I had developed under IE. Also, my concern is not
> necessarily which browser happens to be most popular now, but which
> sticks closest to standards, for that seems to be the best way to
> design for future use, rather than to rely entirely on guessing
> popularity trends.

You should design your site so that it shows properly in the most popular
browser, IE, using html standards regardless which browser is closest to
the standards. You want to have your audience be able to enjoy your site.
Take the 5 most popular browsers and make your site look good under them.
If you have more time, test under more browsers.

If you used standards and it doesn't show properly under IE, you will need
to fix it. Your audience doesn't care if you used html standards. THey care
about having a good browsing experience.

--
Karim
Recommended host: http://www.cheapesthosting.com - Affordable hosting since
Karim
9/17/2003 2:37:39 PM
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 15:34:56 -0400, McWebber <mcwebber@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
> > Really? Does the room stay warmer in the winter and cooler in the
summber because you don't use IE? Do you get special discounts at the gas
station?

> No, but I *do* see happy customers during test-phases that realise that
> the designs and pages I make looks perfect in *all* browsers. I *do* see
> less pop-up ads. (In fact, I see none) I *do* see the lack of bloody
> spyware that attaches themselves to the IE backbone. I *do* see an
> increase in security, and the lack of needing to patch the browser
> everytime I boot because some "Windows Update" tells me that there is
> *yet* another _critical_ security issue with that piece of crap browser.
> Oh, and I *do* see XHTML when application/xhtml+xml mimetype is used.
> I *do* see an increase in productivity. I *do* see webpages much faster
> than you. I *do* see people around me get impressed when I show them what
> they are missing in their everyday surfing.
>
> So there are many things around me that happens *because* I use this
> browser, and they are all positive things.

I give up. What is your browser called?

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/17/2003 5:30:54 PM
> > Maybe I'm missing something in this thread, but does it conflate two
> > different issues: a) with what browser should we check our pages, b)
> > what browser do we find most comfortable to use as a design
> > environment?
> >
> > Everyone seems to agree that the page designer must test pages on
> > IE. However, that does not dictate the development environment, for
> > which some other browser may be preferred. I have used Opera and
> > then galeon (mozilla) for several reasons, one simple one being that I
> > don't normally run Windows.
> >
> > If I've designed something under galeon that does not look good with
> > IE, I go back to make it look as good as I can with both, which would
> > have been my goal if I had developed under IE. Also, my concern is not
> > necessarily which browser happens to be most popular now, but which
> > sticks closest to standards, for that seems to be the best way to
> > design for future use, rather than to rely entirely on guessing
> > popularity trends.
>
> You should design your site so that it shows properly in the most popular
> browser, IE, using html standards regardless which browser is closest to
> the standards. You want to have your audience be able to enjoy your site.
> Take the 5 most popular browsers and make your site look good under them.
> If you have more time, test under more browsers.
>
> If you used standards and it doesn't show properly under IE, you will need
> to fix it. Your audience doesn't care if you used html standards. THey
care
> about having a good browsing experience.

Personally, my solution is to use incredibly old-fashioned
minimal clever-ness HTML. I dont even use CSS.
I concede that maybe the time has come that I should
but I cant spare the time learn up on them!

....So I just use (shock horror) font tags.

I never use rowspan if I can avoid it, I avoid TD widths
I control width instead with stretched pixels
I dont use frames....
....and everything is *incredibly* basic HTML.
No clever b*stard stuff what-so-ever!

I test with MSIE and Netscape/Win2K and that seems to do us fine.
I've never heard of any problems with our site on
different browsers /platforms.

But you guys may feel differently
Here is one of my sites I'm involved with:
www.auction-air.com

Any comments?

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/17/2003 5:39:03 PM
"Toby A Inkster" <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> wrote in message
> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>
> > Can anyone recommend anthing better
> > than tucows.com?
>
> http://www.sf.net/ ?

Detagger not there... so not looking good!

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/17/2003 5:42:03 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> I give up. What is your browser called?

I could guess quite easily, but if you need an extra clue, look at the
User-Agent header of his post.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

> The  Office 2000 HTML filter should work with the HTML output
> from  Excel 2002  just like it does with the HTML output from
> Excel 2000.

Should but doesnt!
It wont install on Office 2002
Thanks Bill Gates.

> Basically it has nothing to do with Excel, you run
> it afterwards.  It is just going to eliminate the round-tripping code
> (Excel --> HTML --> Word --> Access --> Excel --> Word ),  it is
> not going to eliminate the extra garbage to maintain fontsize,
> cell widths etc that you do not want.
>
> If you are into writing your own HTML,  I would once more suggest
> taking a look at my webpage    on  HTML conversion from Excel
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm
>
> I have generated some sample HTML output from an Excel file
> 204 KB using Save As  HTML  from Excel,   using the macros
> at my site was 59 KB,  you can check out the files yourself at:
>   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xl2html.htm#comparison
>
> Instructions to install macro coding
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm
>
> The code is at
>    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/code/xl2htmlx.txt
>
> I write my own HTML code and the macro to generate the tables
> needed   without gray row and column headings   XL2HTML
> or with the headings  from macro  XL2HTMLx
> based on the current selection.
>
> Most of the tables on my pages were generated with earlier versions of
> the macro.   I broke down and did add color, and alignment justifications,
> which is a simple tradeoff compared to  3 to 10 times the amount from
> Excel or Front Page.
>
> The current  Microsoft Office solution is to generate all the
> horrendous code with all the round-tripping code and then
> run the    Office 2000 HTML Filter
> to remove the round tripping code.  But it is still going
> to have the junk to make it look just like an Excel page,
> overriding formatting that HTML generally does much better
> left to it's own devices..

Thanks for all that.
However
a) The Office 2000 HTML Filter wouldn install with Office 2002

b) Eventually I managed to re-find "DETAGGER", from jafsoft.com
   I think, which seems to strip out almost all the MS crud admirably.
   $20 USD is at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay
   for a Microsoft drop-off (scam?)

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/17/2003 6:26:07 PM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> www.auction-air.com

Tested in two different browsers.

In Dillo 0.7.3 (the lastest release, AFAIK) the site mainly displays well,
although there are one or two random white gaps that I think aren't
supposed to be there.

In Lynx 2.8.5dev.12 the site is practically unusable.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

Opera - http://www.opera.com

--
Adrienne Boswell
http://www.arbpen.com
Shiperton Henethe <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I give up. What is your browser called?

No, don't give up; I was enjoying this. :) Besides, *any* non-IE
browser is worth switching to, although my favorite is the latest
7.10+ Opera browsers. But again, I'm biased.

Alexander
--
___________________ ______________________ _____________________________
                   |                      |
http://shelter.nu/ | alex at shelter . nu | http://shelter.nu/xsiteable/
___________________|______________________|_____________________________
0
alex7582 (5)
9/18/2003 6:19:44 AM
> Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>
> > www.auction-air.com
>
> Tested in two different browsers.
>
> In Dillo 0.7.3 (the lastest release, AFAIK) the site mainly displays well,
> although there are one or two random white gaps that I think aren't
> supposed to be there.
>
> In Lynx 2.8.5dev.12 the site is practically unusable.

Thanks. I know nothing about Lynx, however.
Does it get called in the Access logs "mozilla"
because I cant see *any* reference to it in our logs...

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/18/2003 9:16:55 AM
Hi Ship,
I don't understand not wanting to try a free macro that you run from
Excel so you never have the extra code to begin with.  You said
you wanted simple code which you are not likely to
get out of by generating everything and then trying to strip it out.

But here is another free option.    Open Office is fairly
much compatible with Excel 2000  no macros.   They you have
no complaints about about anybody gouging you,  you can just
use the free OpenOffice and be just a few years behind Excel. .

download OpenOffice from http://www.openoffice.org�[49MB],
and Java from http://www.sun.com [9MB] both are free.

you can create HTML from OpenOffice
 http://tools.openoffice.org/qa/assertions/file/sav_WebP.html

---
HTH,

"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3f68a690$0$10784$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk...
> b) Eventually I managed to re-find "DETAGGER", from jafsoft.com
>    I think, which seems to strip out almost all the MS crud admirably.
>    $20 USD is at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay
>    for a Microsoft drop-off (scam?)
>
> Ship

0
dmcritchie (2586)
9/18/2003 10:36:14 AM
Shiperton Henethe wrote:

> Thanks. I know nothing about Lynx, however.
> Does it get called in the Access logs "mozilla"
> because I cant see *any* reference to it in our logs...

No, it sends a user-agent of "Lynx/{VERSION}" where {VERSION} is the
version being used. Possible reasons for it not showing up in your logs:

	- you are only looking at logs of some image hit counter (Lynx doesn't
	dipslay inline images) instead of logs of the page itself; or

	- possibly there was some kind of caching going on and I was
	seeing a cached version of your page. (Although I don't think I'm
	behind a cache.)

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

 On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:05:57 +0100 Toby A Inkster
<UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> broke off from drinking a cup of
tea at goddamn.co.uk to write:

>Shiperton Henethe wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I know nothing about Lynx, however.
>> Does it get called in the Access logs "mozilla"
>> because I cant see *any* reference to it in our logs...
>
>No, it sends a user-agent of "Lynx/{VERSION}" where {VERSION} is the
>version being used. Possible reasons for it not showing up in your logs:
>
>	- you are only looking at logs of some image hit counter (Lynx doesn't
>	dipslay inline images) instead of logs of the page itself; or
>
>	- possibly there was some kind of caching going on and I was
>	seeing a cached version of your page. (Although I don't think I'm
>	behind a cache.)

You *probably* are behind a cache, though not directly. Many many
enroute ISPs cache pages.

Matt

--
The Probert Encyclopaedia - Beyond Britannica
http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com
Matt Probert wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:05:57 +0100 Toby A Inkster
> <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> broke off from drinking a cup of
> tea at goddamn.co.uk to write:
>
>> - possibly there was some kind of caching going on and I was
>> seeing a cached version of your page. (Although I don't think I'm
>> behind a cache.)
>
> You *probably* are behind a cache, though not directly. Many many
> enroute ISPs cache pages.

so do well configured web servers.
--
William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

0
ngx (6)
9/18/2003 1:16:07 PM
"Matt Probert" <www@probertencyclopaedia.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 12:05:57 +0100 Toby A Inkster
> <UseTheAddressInMySig@deadspam.com> broke off from drinking a cup of
> tea at goddamn.co.uk to write:
>
> >Shiperton Henethe wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks. I know nothing about Lynx, however.
> >> Does it get called in the Access logs "mozilla"
> >> because I cant see *any* reference to it in our logs...
> >
> >No, it sends a user-agent of "Lynx/{VERSION}" where {VERSION} is the
> >version being used. Possible reasons for it not showing up in your logs:
> >
> > - you are only looking at logs of some image hit counter (Lynx doesn't
> > dipslay inline images) instead of logs of the page itself; or
> >
> > - possibly there was some kind of caching going on and I was
> > seeing a cached version of your page. (Although I don't think I'm
> > behind a cache.)
>
> You *probably* are behind a cache, though not directly. Many many
> enroute ISPs cache pages.

FWIW, Opera 7.11 was 6 visits last month that's less than 0.01%

Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/18/2003 8:06:26 PM
Sorry I dont really have time/energy to learn about writing macros...
Someday.

Re open office. It's worth a thought though I dont really have
the luxury of being a few years behind excel as a point of
principle - just because I hate M$!

Strangely enough "Detagger" has done the job remarkably well.
I have, however, been in touch with the author (who is
extremely obliguing) and he is ironing out a couple
irritating (though not mission-critical) bugs. Should
be red-hot when finished. But I am a harsh critic so we'll see...
I'll keep you guys posted on this.

Ship

> Hi Ship,
> I don't understand not wanting to try a free macro that you run from
> Excel so you never have the extra code to begin with.  You said
> you wanted simple code which you are not likely to
> get out of by generating everything and then trying to strip it out.
>
> But here is another free option.    Open Office is fairly
> much compatible with Excel 2000  no macros.   They you have
> no complaints about about anybody gouging you,  you can just
> use the free OpenOffice and be just a few years behind Excel. .
>
> download OpenOffice from http://www.openoffice.org�[49MB],
> and Java from http://www.sun.com [9MB] both are free.
>
> you can create HTML from OpenOffice
>  http://tools.openoffice.org/qa/assertions/file/sav_WebP.html
>
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > b) Eventually I managed to re-find "DETAGGER", from jafsoft.com
> >    I think, which seems to strip out almost all the MS crud admirably.
> >    $20 USD is at the upper limit of what I'm prepared to pay
> >    for a Microsoft drop-off (scam?)
> >
> > Ship

0
shiphen1 (58)
9/18/2003 8:24:02 PM
"Shiperton Henethe" <shiphen@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3f65d1e2$0$24105$afc38c87@news.easynet.co.uk>...
> Hi
>
> Know any good utilities to help me strip out the tags that
> Microsoft Excel 2002 leaved behind when you try
> and export an HTML format file?
>
> This is driving me NUTS.
> And really makes me hate microsoft with a passion.

Good :-)

Perhaps jedit http://jedit.org/ with the jtidy and xml plugins would do the trick?

> Ship
> Shiperton Henethe
>
> p.s. I do have Dreamweaver 4, but it crashes every time it tries
> to open the (2500 line) document exported from Microsoft Excel 2002!

---
Steve Ferguson - Founder
Illumit L.L.C. - http://illumit.com/
0
contact90 (1)

Conditional formatting help #4
My problem is that, that i want to ignore blank i mean i had set a conditional formatting say A B C D 24.9 25.9 25 25.8 22.6 23.4 22.5 23.3 If value in ColA is less than value in ColC, cell A1 is shaded blue OR if value in ColB is greater than value in ColD, cell B1 shaded blue. I have done above formatting but my problem is that if i dont enter anything in colC then also colA is shaded in blue similarly if i dont enter any value in colD then also col B is shaded.I mean i want to ignore the blank.I need , if col C is blank then the Col A must be normal .& if col D is blank & i ent...

Format>Row>Autofit
Hi in Excel 2003, I have a 380row x 2col sheet, all text, no functions so far. Text was imported from Word, other Excels etc. Up to 10 lines of text in some cells, word-wrapped, many new-line (Alt + Enter) breaks. No merged cells. Problem is, Format>Row>Autofit is unreliable. For 90% of cells works fine but some either show white space between text lines, or shrink too much, cutting off last text line(s). If adjusted manually, seems unstable - will revert for no reason. Looks like you need to remove the formatting before you pasted into the new spreadsheet. when youu paste - if you ...

Remove Add-Ins from Tools Menu
I installed an Add-In, used it an then uninstalled it. The Add-In still shows on the Tools menu. How do you get it off the menu? I exited and restarted the the program several times and the add-in is unchecked. Excel 2000, 9.04402 SR-1 Karl Does this add-in have a name? Some third-party applications are noted for sticking files in XLSTART. Visio comes to mind. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 16:31:17 GMT, "Karl Irvin" <88karl3200@comcast.net> wrote: >I installed an Add-In, used it an then uninstalled it. The Add-In still >shows on the Tools menu. How ...

VFW, webcam, image format
Hello, I'm trying to grab pictures from a webcam with Video For Windows (VFW). The source code I use is the following: HWND _capwnd = capCreateCaptureWindow("Capture",WS_POPUP,0,0,1,1,0,0); capDriverConnect(_capwnd,0); capGrabFrame(_capwnd); capEditCopy(_capwnd); OpenClipboard(NULL); HBITMAP hBmp = (HBITMAP)GetClipboardData(CF_BITMAP); CloseClipboard(); BITMAP bmp; GetObject(hBmp, sizeof(BITMAP), &bmp); int size = bmp.bmWidth*bmp.bmHeight*bmp.bmWidthBytes; unsigned char* data = new unsigned char[size]; GetBitmapBits(hBmp,size, data); ...

get empty data xml tag
Hi, All, I want to generate empty data xml tag, for example field name is Data1 but no data, when generating xml file, I need to generate <Data1 /> xml tag in xml file using Select Data1 from table for xml auto, elements query, can anyone help this out? Thanks, ...

Trying to install Microsoft CRM with OutLook on Windows 2000
When trying install MS CRM 1.2 disk 2 (Sales for Outlook), I am prevented from completing the install as I get the message "installation failed" "you must install SQL Desktop Server Engine separately". When trying to install it separately the setup seems to start running then stops after extracting files and doesn't complete. There are no error messages and nothing in the Event Viewer ? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for your help. Hi Installation take bit time,you have to wait.it updates with sp-3 etc.. Regards, Bhaskar.T "dhawgood" ...

Help with Excel Formatting macro
Could someone please help with a macro or any other suggestion to format an Excel sheet. Basically data is downloaded from a bank every week and the size of the file can vary but the formatting is constant. That is each record is 7 lines. So first record is line1-7, second record is line 8-14, third record is line 15-21 and so on. I need to format the sheet by taking specific column data from this source Excel worksheet and putting on to another blank sheet. The formatting required for each record is as follows. In the attached sheet the source data is on Sheet 1 and the formatted data is o...

Telephone format of Contacts in Outlook (public folder).
Hi, I've got lots of contacts stored in a Contact folder in my Public folders. All of these contacts have the phone specified with multiple format (UK, International.. other) depending who did enter the contacts at a given moment. I now have to uniform that to one single format (eventually reject and flag for manual update the contacts with non-recognizable number) I'm totally novice in Outlook / contacts / PF scripting, and I'll be glad to get any tips here. Thanks, Chris -- ______________________________________________ It's still better that if it would have been worst...

Microsoft Office Connector to MSN
I am so very confused. I purchased Windows XP Home Edition and Microsoft Works 7.0 and I still do not have Microsoft Outlook. Therefore, I cannot install the Microsoft Office Connector to MSN. I have Outlook Express and it's working fine. Do I "NOW" need to go buy Microsoft Outlook? Doesn't it come with XP or Works? Microsoft won't tell me anything without me giving them more money. Donna <holyjuicer219@msn.com> wrote: > I am so very confused. I purchased Windows XP Home > Edition and Microsoft Works 7.0 and I still do not have > Microsoft Outlook....

SDK for Microsoft POS 2.0
Does anyone know of an SDK for MS POS 2.0? I have noticed several companies making add-ons for modules for MS POS, are they standalone products that integrate with the POS database or are they actually integrated into the MS POS itself? Thanks for your comments. On Nov 22, 4:46=A0am, NetKnight <NetKni...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone know of an SDK for MS POS 2.0? > Thanks for your comments. they are standalone products integrated with the database, and also add-on integrated with SO POS/SO Manager via COM antonio ...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

Microsoft Money Deluxe 2004 #2
How do I install on a drive other than C? I am running Windows XP Home Edition. In microsoft.public.money, Don wrote: >How do I install on a drive other than C? I am running Windows XP Home >Edition. Early in the install process, Money has a place to click to change where the installation is to take place. If you install in a drive other than the system drive, there could be an issue. I was thinking there might be, but I don't find a reference. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/79917/en-us implies that should work. There is no problem. I have always installed Money (from M...

Why is my program loading stuff from ...\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders\...
One of the programs I am developing is loading a lot of stuff. Here is part of the list that has me puzzled. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VERSION.DLL', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCRT4.DLL', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders \PKMWS.DLL', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Folders \MSONSEXT.DLL', no matching symbolic information found. Loaded 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SHFOLDER.DLL', no matc...

Conditional IF Or Format
Hi All, Can I turn a cell=92s contents orange If G100>today() and G101=3D0 Or If H100>today() and H101=3D0 Or If I100>today() and I101=3D0 Or If J100>today() and J101=3D0 This will help me not forget to pay my taxes when they are due - easy to do with my crazy life. I know how to do IF AND, but Not IF OR. Thanks for any help, Michele The syntax for the OR function is shown in Excel help, just as is the syntax for the AND function. =OR(AND(G100>today(),G101=0),AND(H100>today(),H101=0),AND(I100>today(),I101=0),AND(J100>today(),J101=0)) N...

Upgrading Microsoft Office when switching to OSX
I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 in 9.x. Do I have to buy new software to have the version of Office that is compatible with OSX or can I download an upgrade? You can run Office 2001 inside Classic in OS X, or you can purchase Office X or Office 2004 as OS X-native programs. Office 2004 is the latest version. Owning Office 2001 qualifies you for the discount on an upgrade copy, but not for a free new version. On 3/8/05 8:02 PM, "anonymous" wrote: > I recently upgraded my Mac from 9.x to OSX. I was running Office 2001 > in 9.x. Do I ...

Is your microsoft office outlook download update looping?
-- PackersFAN In article <3F7B4D82-187F-4022-BF52-C085A98CF410@microsoft.com>, lambeau@discussions.microsoft.com says... > If you're talking about the outlook (hotmail) connector - yep - that's what it does for several of us it seems. Use this link: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=39db2b89-af2e- 41f9-a175-f93e1377959f&displaylang=en Or if you cannot unwrap, get the link is connected to from this page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/outlook/HA102225181033.aspx -- Duncan. Yes, I am experiencing same thing. "...

If and formatting
Is it possible to use the IF statement to analyze a cell? =IF(A1 = GoldColor, 1, 0) I hope that makes sense. If cell A1 has a particular attribute, then 1 or 0. thanks Hi not possible without VBA. See: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:e$uRjFVjEHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Is it possible to use the IF statement to analyze a cell? > =IF(A1 = GoldColor, 1, 0) > I hope that makes sense. If cell A1 has a particular attribute, then 1 or 0. > > thanks...

No clipart on microsoft site
When I tried accessing the clipart on Microsoft's site, no results ever come up. Why is this? The photos come out, but it doesn't show any clipart. Thanks Jo Jo Dude You are supposed to click on that little box below those pictures and then click on download. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jo Dude" <not@here.com> wrote in message news:%23X4JimUbGHA.1008@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I tried accessing the clipart on Microsoft's site, no results ever > come up. Why is this? The photos come out, but it doesn't show any > ...

Check boxes and conditional formatting
I'm still working with a worksheet, and I got it so if you type or select from a list the word "TRUE" into a cell in column G, then columns A-F in that row will have their font changed to bright red. So that's figured out. But if I want to get all fancy and put a checkbox or radio button in each cell of the G column that will do the same thing (change the font color of the row to red, then back to black when unchecked) how do I do that? I got a macro to work on checking the box, although I don't know how easily I can copy and paste it all for 1500+ rows) but I...

Can't remove Read Only
Since I installed Windows7 all my Word and Excel documents are Read-only. The only way I can save any changes to a document is to rename it. The documents are Read-only despite the fact that Read-only is not checked in the Properties of the individual files or of Word 2007 or Excel 2007. How do I remove this Read-only restriction when there is nothing I can do in the Properties windows? Hi ellarjee, If you've transferred the files via CD/DVD or you're working with files on a CD/DVD, that would explain the read-only setting. To change it, you need to copy the files ...

Mail Format #2
I have been able to send rich text emails via outlook for some months. In the last few days any rich text email is either returned or delivered minus the attachment. Can anyone help me with this? Hamish ...

Formatting with MFC
I have an MFC application but I have left the formatting of the controls at the default setting. How do I do the following formatting operations: - Change font size and colour of static text controls - Change edit controls to be 'flat' - Change height/width of edit box - Change text size in edit control - Change background color on dialog box Thanks. >How do I do the following formatting operations: > >- Change font size and colour of static text controls >- Change text size in edit control Make use of WM_SETFONT & handle WM_CTLCOLORSTATIC. >- Change edit c...

Microsoft KM 279431 and reset .pst file
How do you reset a .pst file as Microsoft KM 279431 states to resolve appointments being updated to the incorrect calendar? ...

Remove Convert Activity from Appointment
Is it possible to remove the Convert Activity tool bar item from the Appointment Activity Tool bar? I do not see this in the isv,config? Hi, You would need to use OnLoad event of the Form and do some scripting. Use IE Developers Toolbat to find the id of the button, and put buttonId.style.display = 'none'; in Onload event. Hope this helps, Jevgenij "Sixty4" <bradlaw@gmail.com> wrote in message news:71f3cb9c-325d-437e-b562-2d07bc613f06@v1g2000pra.googlegroups.com... > Is it possible to remove the Convert Activity tool bar item from the > Appointment Activity ...

Problem Upgrading To Microsoft CRM 3.0c
I am trying to upgrade from 3.0.5300.0 SBE to 3.0c on my laptop for the Outlook Client. I keep getting to the point where it tells me that I have to install the required Microsoft SQL Server Express Edition with the minimum version of 9.00.2407 and when I try to do that by clicking on the Install button it looks like it is trying to do that for a while then I get a message "Extraction Failed: Data Error (cyclic Redundancy Check) and I can go any further. I have tried this several times and I can only get to this point. I had installed v3.0c on this laptop using the same cd that I...