Another simple "average of..."?

(Using Excel 2002)

Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with
entries in them) into another cell.

A simple example:
Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank. I
have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled in),
but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in)
automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another value
into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on...

Is there a way Excel can do this?

My spreadsheet is more complex or I wouldn't need to figure this out...I
could just enter it in myself...lol.

THANKS...

0
no (445)
10/6/2005 9:05:47 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

(Oops, wrong title to this thread, sorry. I also had a question about the
averages of a range of cells, but solved that one.)

"FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote in message
> (Using Excel 2002)
>
> Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with
> entries in them) into another cell.
>
> A simple example:
> Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank.
> I have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled
> in), but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in)
> automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another
> value into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on...
>
> Is there a way Excel can do this?
>
> My spreadsheet is more complex or I wouldn't need to figure this out...I
> could just enter it in myself...lol.
>
> THANKS...

0
no (445)
10/6/2005 9:08:38 PM
Fish

In D15 enter =COUNTA(D5:D14)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:05:47 GMT, "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>(Using Excel 2002)
>
>Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with
>entries in them) into another cell.
>
>A simple example:
>Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank. I
>have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled in),
>but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in)
>automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another value
>into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on...
>
>Is there a way Excel can do this?
>
>My spreadsheet is more complex or I wouldn't need to figure this out...I
>could just enter it in myself...lol.
>
>THANKS...

0
Gord
10/6/2005 9:49:41 PM
Thank you. One more question if you don't mind:

Is there a way to only count numerical entries? Some cells will have numbers
in them and some will have an x (for no entry for that week). Can the
formula be altered to only count numerical entries?

Thanks again !!!

> Fish
>
> In D15 enter =COUNTA(D5:D14)
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:05:47 GMT, "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>
>>(Using Excel 2002)
>>
>>Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with
>>entries in them) into another cell.
>>
>>A simple example:
>>Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank.
>>have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled
>>in),
>>but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in)
>>automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another
>>value
>>into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on...
>>
>>Is there a way Excel can do this?
>>
>>My spreadsheet is more complex or I wouldn't need to figure this out...I
>>could just enter it in myself...lol.
>>
>>THANKS...

0
no (445)
10/6/2005 10:06:43 PM
Use COUNT Function for numerics.

BTW.....these Functions and their uses are found in Excel Help under "Count"

Gord

On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 22:06:43 GMT, "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote:

>Thank you. One more question if you don't mind:
>
>Is there a way to only count numerical entries? Some cells will have numbers
>in them and some will have an x (for no entry for that week). Can the
>formula be altered to only count numerical entries?
>

>Thanks again !!!
>

>"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
>> Fish
>>
>> In D15 enter =COUNTA(D5:D14)
>>

>> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>>
>> On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:05:47 GMT, "FISH" <no@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>(Using Excel 2002)
>>>
>>>Is there a way to have Excel automatically enter the number of cell (with
>>>entries in them) into another cell.
>>>
>>>A simple example:
>>>Let's say I have values entered into D5, D6, and D7, but D8-D14 are blank.
>>>have the total number of entries in D15 now as 3 (3 entries are filled
>>>in),
>>>but I'd like that to change (to 4, as 4 entries are no filled in)
>>>automatically when I enter a value into D8. Then when I enter another
>>>value
>>>into D9, I'd like D15 to change to "5", and so on...
>>>
>>>Is there a way Excel can do this?
>>>
>>>My spreadsheet is more complex or I wouldn't need to figure this out...I
>>>could just enter it in myself...lol.
>>>
>>>THANKS...

0
Gord