Adjacent Cell to Last Cell in a Row

I am creating two columns where data is continually added.  In one
column I have units either lbs or kgs listed.  In the second column I
have a price. I want to create a formula that will pick the last entry
in the units column and depending on whether it was lbs or kgs
multiply the number in the cell beside it in a further calculation

lbs    3.34                          kg   5.67
kg     4.50                          lb    8.94
lbs    8.94                          kg   5.82
lbs    4.33                          lb    6.22
lbs    2.68
kg     7.48

In this case in the first example the formula would determine that kg
was the last entry and use 7.48 for further calculation.

In the second example the formula would determine that lb was the last
entry and use 6.22 and multiply by 2.2046 in a further calculation.

Thanks

Tom

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

If there are no gaps in the column you can use COUNTA(A:A) to get the row of
the last collumn, then INDEX of that column to get the item. Example:
=INDEX(A:A,COUNTA(A:A)) would pick up "kg", or INDEX(D:D,COUNTA(D:D)) would
pick up the "lb".
Then multiply as you wish.
Further example:
=IF(INDEX(A:A,COUNTA(A:A))="kg",INDEX(B:B,COUNTA(A:A)),INDEX(B:B,COUNTA(A:A))*2.2046)

"Tom" <tsanders123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am creating two columns where data is continually added.  In one
> column I have units either lbs or kgs listed.  In the second column I
> have a price. I want to create a formula that will pick the last entry
> in the units column and depending on whether it was lbs or kgs
> multiply the number in the cell beside it in a further calculation
>
> lbs    3.34                          kg   5.67
> kg     4.50                          lb    8.94
> lbs    8.94                          kg   5.82
> lbs    4.33                          lb    6.22
> lbs    2.68
> kg     7.48
>

> In this case in the first example the formula would determine that kg
> was the last entry and use 7.48 for further calculation.
>
> In the second example the formula would determine that lb was the last
> entry and use 6.22 and multiply by 2.2046 in a further calculation.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

make colour in rows stay
How can I lock the fill colours in a row even when I change around the data or sort alphabetically? Thanks and God Bless, Harley Use CF http://www.cpearson.com/excel/banding.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Crowraine" <Crowraine@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED158D7D-62AB-4DA8-A948-2A6556D8047C@microsoft.com... > How can I lock the fill colours in a row even when I change around the data > or sort alphabetically? > > Thanks and God Bless, > Harley ...

Need Syntax for "AND" to Evaluate 2 Cells
I need to evaluate 2 cells while inside an "Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)". I thought AND would work but I cannot get it to work; I receive a syntax error on the AND(Range... line. Can someone please provide me the proper syntax to evaluate the 2 cells? Here's my code... Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then And(Range("I3") <> "", Range("K4") = "") Then Range("K4") = Range("K3") End...

Enter "1", cell show ".01". Why?
Any number typed into a cell is divided by 100. If proceded by "=" the number is correct. What caused this and how can I fix it? Try this .. Click Tools > Options > Edit tab Uncheck "Fixed decimal" > OK Things should be back to normal now .. (it's a fixed decimal setting !) -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "Yonian" <Yonian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:40499CA4-7FAF-42A6-8B19-A90881735C50@microsoft.com... > Any number typed into a cell is divided by 100. > If p...

selecting a cell
I seem unable to select a single cell, or a single row--click on one in the normal manner, and the two below also highlight, then delete or whatever command is given. If I input a number/text, that just goes into the one cell. tapping F8 increases this to two wide and three high automatically selected. Also, very slow to do almost anything. Thanks Pat, Are you by any chance using Excel 2007? If so there is a known bug that causes multiple cell selection and I understand this has been reported to Microsoft. If you take the zoom level up and down this is reported to cl...

Why is Excel changing the last 2 digits of a 17 digit num to 00.
When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to 00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this 'feature'. How do I make Excel recongize the large number? On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 19:09:01 -0700, "Allie" <Allie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When I enter a 17 digit number in a cell in Excel, the last 2 digits turn to >00 when I leave the cell. Format - Cell does not have a setting to stop this >'feature'. Excel Specifications and Limits: Calculation specifications Feature Maximu...

One Entry to Multiple Rows

cell will not center
Hi. I have a user with an Excel worksheet. There are multiple rows and columns and they are all set on center alignment, (center alignment icon on the toolbar as well as Format Cells --> Horizontal Alignment --> Center.) The alphabetical characters align correctly but the numerical don't, as they will only left align. Format Cells --> Number is set to General, so I don't know why it won't change the alignment. Other than the worksheet being corrupted, I don't know what could be wrong with it. Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks! Hilary =?Utf-8?B?SG...

Count # of cells b/w cells ...
Hello, I have the following data in a column: 7 0 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 7 0 0 7 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 etc. The number of zero's between the 7's is random. I want a formula tha would count the number of zeros between the 7's. Thanks, Ari Bar -- AriBar ----------------------------------------------------------------------- AriBari's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2504 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38806 Assume A5:A20 is the data, try this: B5 = A5+B4 (copy formula down) Now make a table with 2 column...

Too many different cell formats #6

format cell #4

Create individual files from a row

Determine number of rows with data

Find and replace with bold in cells

Conditional Formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen
Is it possible to do conditional formatting on cells beginning with a hyphen? Thanks, Greg 1. Place the cursor in A1 cell and select the Range 2. From menu Format>Conditional Formatting> 3. For Condition1>Select 'Formula Is' and paste the below formula =LEFT(A1,1)="-" 4. Click Format Button>Font>Color select your desired font & Background Color pattern and then give ok Change the cell reference of A1 to your desired cell, if required. But keep in mind that when applying the conditional formatting the Active cell should be in the ce...

Formula to find last monday (tue, wedn, thu or friday) for a given month
Hi, I need a formula to calculate the date of the last monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday or friday of a given month. Can't seem to find the answer anywhere. example: day: wednesday (or corresponding nr) month: 3 year: 2004 Result: 31/03/04 Who can help? Thank you for reading and eventually answering my question.Back Visit http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeWS.htm#DaysInMonth -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Michele" <mw001@pandora.be> wrote in message news:b30b6913.0402090708.556d0faa@posting.google.com... > Hi, > I need a...

modify linked cells without breaking link
I have a workbook with a number of worksheets (2003.) The 2nd and 3rd worksheets have cells that are linked to the 1st worksheet. This workbook will be used to schedule production. The 1st worksheet has a list of products that we produce. The 1st worksheet has a column for the min # of cases we need to keep in stock at all times and the max # of cases we must keep in stock at all times. The 1st worksheet also contains a column where the production scheduler would enter the actual # of cases in stock. The 2nd worksheet in the workbook takes the actual cs in stock and compares ...

Add data to cell w/o loosing initial data
I would like to know if there is a way to add data to data without retyping. For example I have a colum of 18015555555 and I want to add [rfax:(cell #)@/fn=(phone number)] So I would like to add the brackets - copy from a cell - @/fn= and not loose the data already in the spread sheet. Example 2. Add [rfax:company name@fn/=(saved data here) then close bracket. So I want to add data to cells without loosing the data already in the cells. I have about 600 of them to do and I really don't want to do each one by hand. Please let me know if anyone knows how to accomplish this. Tha...