Adding values

I have a spreadsheet with one column of names
the names are repeated down
column :A    Colum :D
rob                5
rob                2
martin            5
rob                6
martin            5
etc:
in another column D I have values of numbers

Is it possible to add up all the values in column D associated with Rob

i.e. Rob =13
     Martin =10

Thanks Rob

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Look in the help index for
SUMIF

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"CrashMatRob" <crashmatrob@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I have a spreadsheet with one column of names
> the names are repeated down
> column :A    Colum :D
> rob                5
> rob                2
> martin            5
> rob                6
> martin            5
> etc:
> in another column D I have values of numbers
>
> Is it possible to add up all the values in column D associated with Rob
> i.e. Rob =13
>     Martin =10
>
> Thanks Rob

0
dguillett1 (2487)
2/8/2009 5:44:39 PM
Try SumIf()
=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,"rob",$D$1:$D$5)
0
davesexcel (61)
2/8/2009 5:47:49 PM
Thanks allot worked a treat

Rob

"Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
> Look in the help index for
> SUMIF
>
> --
> Don Guillett
> Microsoft MVP Excel
> SalesAid Software
> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
> "CrashMatRob" <crashmatrob@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

Glad to help you help yourself

--
> Thanks allot worked a treat
>
> Rob
>

> "Don Guillett" <dguillett1@austin.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Look in the help index for
>> SUMIF
>>
>> --
>> Don Guillett
>> Microsoft MVP Excel
>> SalesAid Software
>> dguillett1@austin.rr.com
>> "CrashMatRob" <crashmatrob@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

0
dguillett1 (2487)
2/8/2009 6:01:23 PM
try

=SUMIF(A:A,"Rob",B:B) or

better to use cell to hold the criteria,
eg. type the name "Rob" in C2 without the quotation mark.

=SUMIF(A:A,C2,B:B)

--
HTH

Pls provide your feedback by clicking the YES button below if this posting
is helpful
This will help others to search the results in the archive better

cheers, francis

"CrashMatRob" <crashmatrob@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

> I have a spreadsheet with one column of names
> the names are repeated down
> column :A    Colum :D
> rob                5
> rob                2
> martin            5
> rob                6
> martin            5
> etc:
> in another column D I have values of numbers
>
> Is it possible to add up all the values in column D associated with Rob
> i.e. Rob =13
>     Martin =10
>
> Thanks Rob

0
xlsmate (17)

Adding a project reference in VC++ 6
How does one add a reference to a Windows DLL project from a Windows Console Application? If you are talking about unmanaged code, there is nothing like a reference to a DLL. You will include the include files in your source and link against the library provided by DLL. There is another option of using a DLL functions at run time (no linking) but I am certain you are not talking about that. There is another option of using a COM server in your project. There you can import the type library in your project. Is that what you want? Is your project unmanaged by any chance? --------- Ajay K...

Adding Web Parts in Bus Portal 3
I have a demo environment I created. Bus Portal 3 is up and running. I'm trying to add web parts of any type to a page and keep getting a Sharepoint page with an error. Does anybody know why you wouldn't be able to add web parts. -- Charles Allen, MVP SharePoint can be one frustrating..... Are you mixing SharePoint web parts? Trying to use an Office SharePoint Server web part on a wss 3.0 server? Are you trying to view the page with Anonymous access? Does it work with a logged in user? VinceV "Charles Allen" wrote: > I have a demo environment I created. Bus ...

Need to select rows to average based on a value in a different column
Below is an example of my spreadsheet. I'd like to find the average number of users for each "Day of the week" hour combination but I'm not even sure where to start. Date Hour DoW # Users 10/27/2003 10 Mon 11 10/27/2003 11 Mon 11 10/27/2003 13 Mon 10 10/27/2003 14 Mon 11 10/27/2003 15 Mon 9 10/27/2003 16 Mon 9 10/28/2003 8 Tue 5 10/28/2003 9 Tue 6 10/28/2003 10 Tue 4 10/28/2003 11 Tue 8 10/28/2003 13 Tue 7 10/28/2003 14 Tue 7 10/28/2003 15 Tue 7 10/28/2003 16 Tue 10 10/29/2003 8 Wed 7 10/29/2003 9 Wed 10 10/29/2003 10 Wed 11 10/...

Adding Text To A Column
Hello, Last one for today; I promise. I have a long column of numbers, such as: 456 567 321 784 etc. The worksheet is formatted as .csv Is there any easy way to convert this column to: 456 MHz 567 MHz 321 MHz etc. And, would they (still) be interpreted as numbers, or would it now go a text format (automatically) ? Thanks for the help, Bob Hi Bob If you want it to stay numbers, do a custom formating ###" MHz" or if you want text, you can do it this way assuming you data starts in A1 in the other cells put =A1&"MHz" and copy down. HTH John "Bob" <rg...

concatenate more column value #2
Hi All Any function can be simply below function , No VBA? Next time, I will try add 26 column value. =IF(TRIM(H2)&TRIM(I2)&TRIM(J2)&TRIM(K2)&TRIM(L2)&TRIM(M2)&TRIM(N2)&TRIM (P2)&TRIM(Q2)&TRIM(R2)&TRIM(S2)&TRIM(T2)<> "", "Y","N") moonhkt Looks like you want to return "Y" if there is a value in any of your cells range and return "N" if only blank values in all cells... if it is what you need try this =IF(COUNTBLANK(H2:T2)<>13,"Y","N") '13 number of cells. ...

Changing the value of one field based on the value of another field
I have two fields in my database 'driver' and 'loader'. As the driver loads his own vehicle 80% of the time I want the value of the 'loader' field to equal the value in the 'driver' field after the 'driver' field is updated. I have tried a number of options in AfterUpdate but without success. Can anyone help. <barrycrone@eircom.net> wrote in message news:1191205424.828591.46110@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have two fields in my database 'driver' and 'loader'. As the driver > loads his own vehicle 80% of the time I want...

Formating Hex Values
Guys/Gals I need to display byte values in Hex format and preserve leading zeros. so I came up with : format(hex(SomeByte),"00") to perform the deed. I just noticed an inconsistency with that code and changed it to : right("00" & hex(SomeByte),2) which fixes my problem. But I do not understand why the first form gives an incorrect result. I just hate not knowing! Can someone please help out? from the immediate window try this: for i = 89 to 91 : ? i, format(hex(i),"00") : next 89 59 90 00 <--- What's...

What UAC default setting if W2k8 join AD (assuming GPO not yet been configured in AD)
Dear all, Could you please tell me, after Win server 2008 joined AD domain, what is the default setting for UAC ? ( gpedit.msc >> Computer Configuration >> Windows Settings >>Security >> Local Policy >> Security Options .. look for UAC setting) My current Windows Server 2008 UAC setting, before join AD domain, http://img687.imageshack.us/img687/4971/20091114sfwin2008uacset.png I would like to know if after join domain the default setting for UAC ? assuming the AD environment is has not yet configured the GPO policies. Thank you in advance. Hell...

Calculate max value in specific range
Hi all, I've got a table with specific date values (start & end dates) like this: 3/23/00 Start 3/26/00 End etc. note: the length of days will vary from time tot time. -- I also have a table with all date values and corresponding numbers, like this: Column: A B Row: 1 3/23/00 1101.16 2 3/24/00 1106.16 3 3/25/00 1143.07 (=MAX) 4 3/26/00 1137.54 -- How can I calculate the max value from all those corresponding numbers between a Start- & End date? (1143.07 in this case) I've already tried the Vlookup and Max function but that only refers to 1 value (as...

#VALUE error add'g formulas
Trying to add two rows of times with the result in one cell, but having trouble. When I try to add the two rows together, I get a “#VALUE” result. The result for each row displays fine in the HOURS WORKED column on an individual/per-row basis –– but I need to display just one result for both rows - in the “Row 2” cell of the “HOURS WORKED” column for that day. The formulas for each row are shown below. Times are written in standard AM and PM format. The IF statement are for controls to display standard (12-hr.) time format, a text option for writing in notes, and so that &...

Data Validation enter values with VBA
I currently have a Spreadsheet running a tipping competition which works well, however would like to add additional functionality to it. I have cells setup which are data validated to a list on the sheet and have four values to select from which are None, Team 1, Draw, Team 2 These come up in a drop down box. What I would like to be able to do is to have the data filled automatically in a group of cells dependent on the value in another cell. For example In Cell A10 i put in H and Cell F10 which has the data validated list always has the value None to start with the l...

AD Schema change
Hi all, Does MS CRM make any AD schema changes? Yes, it will add an Org Unit that it controls. "Ivan Miljan" <ivan.miljan@msan.hr> wrote in message news:da4401c3828f$929972d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... Hi all, Does MS CRM make any AD schema changes? No CRM only adds an OU or Organizational Unit, it does not modify the active directory schema "Ivan Miljan" <ivan.miljan@msan.hr> wrote in message news:da4401c3828f$929972d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > > Hi all, > > Does MS CRM make any AD schema changes? > ...

New user not added to TWO database
Hello, I've recently noticed that newly created users are not added to the TWO database when they are created in GP. This prevents the user from being able to log in (they get an error message saying to contact the system administrator). Is there a SQL query I can run to fix this problem? Thanks Josh Josh, No SQL. Go into Tools > Setup > User Access and add the user to the companies that you want them to access. -- Lyle U Josh Kandiko wrote: > Hello, > > I've recently noticed that newly created users are not added to the > TWO database when they are cre...

Novice trying to sort the values on a radar graph
Hi, I need the values on a radar grapgh to show as 0, 3, 6, and 9 as the outside of the 'web'. However the values in my data only go up to 5, how can I make the graph show up to 9 and only show the 3 radiating lines I want i.e. 3, 6, & 9? really new to this, so feel free to treat like an idiot! Good question. Here's what you do: * Slide the cursor over the rib of the radar graph until you see a little box open up saying "format axis". * Right-click on the axis. * A little dialog box opens up, and you should click the 'format axis' option. * A bigge...

INSERT INTO Table, values derived in code from separating a name
Hi, I have a field called [Contact Name] which is the result of a combo box. On not in list the user is asked if the name they enter is too be added to the list. The name is separated into two strings "str1l" and "str2" in code form a module as the function is called up from the not in List on the Combo box. str1 is FIRST_NAME str2 is LAST_NAME The fields in tblCUSTCONTACTS are "FIRST_NAME" and "LAST_NAME" Now I wish to INSERT into the tblCUSTCONTACTS the two strings. strsql = "INSERT INTO [tblCUSTCONTACTS] " _ ...

Adding Accounts
I can easily import Leads or Contacts into CRM - but is there a way to import Accounts ? At the moment, we import leads and then convert them - but it takes a long time to do this. Thanks Ian You can use the MSCRM Data Migration Framework for first time import of accounts. This fw is not "easy" and cannot be used to update existing records, only to import new records. Check out http://www.scribesoft.com/Products/InsightForMSCRM.asp for a solution that supports continuous data integration. KjellSJ http://kjellsj.blogspot.com "Ian Kelsall" wrote: > I can ea...

How to delete a user from AD without CRM troubles?
Hello! Can you state the recomended procedure in CRM before a user is deleted from the AD (eg. when someone leaves the company) so that there will be no troubles in CRM? Is there a way to retrieve the license of a user that was deleted from AD before been disabled in CRM? -- SiEBEN Innovative Solutions http://www.sieben.gr ������� ������ 28, 141 21, �. ��������, ����� ���: +30 2 10 2724433 Fax: +30 2 10 2724439 Hi, here is a procedure: 1. Remove CRM license of the user 2. Disable the user in CRM 3. Delete the user from the AD. Erik "SiEBEN Innovative Solutions" <newsgrou...

ADDING SUM TOTAL OF MORE THAN 30 CELLS IN A COLUMN TOGETHER
I am not able to add more than 30 cells in a column and need to add at least 70 - what do I do? will this work for you? =sum(a1:a100000) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Robin" <Robin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EBEA34A-10D3-4F58-AE0E-E9FF2EE0F73B@microsoft.com... > I am not able to add more than 30 cells in a column and need to add at least > 70 - what do I do? You can add much more than that, if indded you are using non adjacent cells like =SUM(A1,B3,C4 etc) then you can use 30, then another 30 like =SUM((1,3,5,...........

Search for values between two sheets
Hi again I think I've confused everyone with the previous thread. Is it at all possible to do something like a VLOOKUP or anythin similar to search between sheets/ workbooks I appreciate any help you can give guys Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Joey I gave you one answer for two sheets. If you have several this becomes more complicated. What do you want to return? - text values - numbers For the latter one there could be a solution using SUMPRODUCT, etc. So you may explain this with a little bit more detail :-) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

Adding a Column to a table
I have a Make Table query. Once this table is created, later in the process, I would like to add a field to this same table. I need to do a calculation using some of the data in other fields within this same table and place the results in this new field. Normally, I would append the data in this table to another table and include this new field and then do the calculation in this new table. However, this table that was created in the 'Make Table' query is used in a lot of other process and I am wondering if there is a command similar to the RunSQL macro command Alter Tab...

Pass a Report Value to a Form?
Hi guys, I want to run a report in the background, take a final value from the report, and pass it back into my form, to be displayed. I know I can easily do this from one form to another form, but as I already have the report, I was being lazy, and figured I could just take the value from the report using a macro.... but it doesn't seem to work. Is there a way of doing this? Or am I being stupid (as well as lazy)? Thanks! Russell. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-forms/200911/1 Pascoe, Well, it's...

pivottable does not sort date values?
Anyone know why excel 2000 does not sort date values? it lists in the following way: 01-2001 01-2002 01-2003 02-2001.... or=20 2001-01 2001-10 2001-11 ..=B7.. Yes. Your dates have been input as text. It is simply=20 sorting them by alphabetical order. Go back to your original data and find the column with the=20 dates. Create a new column and use =3Ddatevalue(a1) where=20 a1 is the reference to the cells with the misinterpreted=20 dates. Display the cells in the new column as dates. Now recreate your pivot table including this new column=20 and you will find you will be able to sort i...

Combination Bar Charts, Bars shrink when X-values inserted
I am generating several bar charts that show multiple series of data in both bar and line format. I can get the two together just perfectly. However, when I add the secondary Y axis, my bars shrink to about half of that size. Then, when in the source data box I select the values for the X Axis, it shrinks my bars to a miniscutle line. I have played with all combinations of gap and overlap with only minimal success. I need the x-values and the data table to display. Any suggestions? If Excel interprets the category values as dates, it may change the axis type from category to time...

What VBA function returns cell 2 from which cell 1 gets its value?
This is a simple and possibly embarrassing question. In Excel 2002 SP3, cell 1 is on ProfitSheet and depends on cell 2, on a different sheet. Cell 1 has a UDF, so it looks like: "=MassageData(SalesSheet!$A$1)" Given that I know cell 1 at runtime, what VBA function returns cell 2? I have tried: Set Cel2 = Cel1.Precedents(1) Set Cel2 = Cel1.Precedents.Cells(1, 1) etc. but that only seems to return Cel1 itself (at least that's what the Debug Window shows). 1) Is my syntax wrong? 2) Is Excel's lack of external dependent/precedent functionality in my...

Adding Extra Fields or More Options in Drop Downs
For the benefit of others just thought let me update this post with the information that i just managed to get and implement. In view of adding extra fields or adding extra options in drop down fields i managed to do so. If you have been given the Administrative Privilages then you can customise the order form using the system customisation and add extra fields or ammend the ones that are there or even add extra options in Drop Down Fields. I did this for the Order Screen because I wanted to have a Status 'Closed' when Invoices were paid for in full. I added the option Closed and you...