Adding up numbers from columns.

How can I sum up multiple columns while not letting each cell
"associated values" sum to a number greater than one specified.

For example,

if I have sets of colums:

14 3
12 2
11 2
11 1
10 1

and

20 5
19 4
18 3
17 2

and

25 6
22 4
20 3
18 2

I want to know what 3 combination of numbers in the left 3 colums giv
me the highest value...WITHOUT letting the correspoding numbers in th
right hand column be greater than, say 10.

Thanks,

Larr

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

show columns on other worksheet without using formulas
Hi, I have 1 worksheet containing lot's records. Just like in access, each line is 1 record, and each column contains data. ex: WORKSHEET 1: name title address city 1 dfjw kjhk kjhkj kjhk 2 lmkj lkjlk lkjkuf guyg 3 drdtg xcx yjutuy hgyy Now I want to have a selection of columns on worksheet 2: ex, only name and title: WORKSHEET 2: name title 1 dfjw kjhk 2 lmkj lkjlk 3 drdtg xcx I will only add/modify rows in worksheet 1. And I want that this is filled automaticaly in worksheet...

Adding financial institution to....
Hi, I'm trying to add another finacial institution to the "online services" at the "logon to ....screen. I have set up a password, passport. If I go to Accounts/Bills, then Online Service Manager,select the financial institution I want to add, then I'm supposed to go to "modify services".....but I can't find that.... Does anybody have this problem? What am I doing wrong? I have set up this account online and can download into Money if I go to their website but I want to add it to the other accounts and that way I can save some time. I'm talking about...

Adding Additional Work to MS Project 2003
I would like to do some what-if analysis on my project schedule and am not sure how I can easily add say 30% additional work across the board on my project to show some best and worse case scenarios. Would I have to use a PERT chart to do this sort of filter? Hello Al, PERT analysis in project 2003 is based upon duration, not work. While work and duration are related through assignments, if you have changed the task type from the default of fixed units, adjusting duration will not necessarily change work. The PERT analysis tools are available on the PERT Analysis toolbar...

Migrating AD to new domain. How does Exch 5.5 fit in?
Over a weekend (hopefully) I will be migrating from one domain to another temporary domain. Then I will be taking the original domain out of it's current forest and into its own. I will then migrate back to the original domain. I'm using Exchange 5.5. What do I do with Exchange? Should I leave it with the original domain and assume that the appended SIDHistory of the users will still work correctly with it when they move back? I'm thinking this will work since it's happening over a weekend... I don't know anything about migrating Exchange 5.5 to a new domain... Any ...

Sequential Numbering in Word 2003 and Recycling unused numbers
Once again, I am stuck in Macro world which is quickly consuming me :) It is though, quite addictive and I am determined to win the fight I'm having with my PC. I work for a company which uses network servers so the document needs to be accessed by different people but not necessarily at the same time. We operate Windows XP Word 2003. I am trying to create a document that will open with a sequential number, but if the document is not used or opened accidentally then the number it has generated needs to be recycled for auditing purposes. I seem to be able to get the number t...

Case numbering 01-26-04
I have found the auto numbering in 1.2, but it only lets me change the prefix for the cases "CAS". I need to start my numbering at 3500 instead of 1000. Is there a way to change the starting number? Thanks, Stefanie ...

how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet
how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet Try going to the View menu and unchecking Page Break Preview On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 11:01:08 -0800, "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work sheet You may be in page break preview mode. Go to "View" and select "normal" Regards Bill K "parker1230" <parker1230@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A65FC73-CAA0-428D-8ECD-0C2A2E15B799@microsoft.com... > how do Ii remove the grey page numbers in a work she...

Excel 2007
When you set reverse categories for the horizontal axis, I noticed that the legend (which I normally placed at the bottom of the chart), did not correspondingly reverse. Is this WAD (working as designed) ? If not, how can i overcome this as the reader would have to mentally "remap" the legend to the bar chart. Thanks very much. Hi, Reversing the Axis categories will not effect the legend order. To do that you need to change the Series Order. In 2007 this is none via the Select Data Source dialog. Chart Tools > Design > Data > Select Data. Use the Up/Down arrows in the...

AD Computer object question
Hello, I have computer object within Active Directory for a specific server. Due to an issue, the link between the two has been broken. Is there any way to recreate the link without delete the AD object and join back the server into the domain? Thanks for your help, It's a really urgent matter, please help Dark Hello darkbol, Which kind of machine is it, Domain controller or member server or workstation? What is the exact error message? Did something happened before or is it just out of the blue? Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is pro...

Adding Values From Different Tabs
Is there a way to add values from different tabs on the same spreadsheet? For example A2 from tab 1 and A2 from tab 2 -- Flipkid2 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Flipkid2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17984 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398184 Assuming the name on Tab 1 is Sheet1 and Tab 2 is Sheet2, use thi formula: =Sheet1!A2+Sheet2!A2 note the name of the sheet is followed by "!" to indicate it is a shee name. HTH Bruc -- swatsp0 ------------...

how do i split a column
i have a worksheet with three columns but want to split column C in to two from row 37 down while keeping only three columns from rows 1-36. How can i do this? You can't. You could merge C1 & D1, C2 & d2 etc. but it seems a bit of overkill. What is the reason for this, there may be another solution? -- HTH RP "craig.d" <craig.d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:973F49DB-EF87-4F64-AA13-7AEB3563757A@microsoft.com... > i have a worksheet with three columns but want to split column C in to two > from row 37 down while keeping only three col...

How to you selectively sum on a series of numbers?
I have a column filled with numbers, but I only want to sum up a few of them. Let's say I have numbers filling A1:A10. Let's say I only want to sum up the numbers located is A3 and A4. I'd like to ability to enter something in the b column (e.g. "y" in cells b3 and b4) and have a formula that adds up the values in the "A" cells that have a corresponding "y" in the "B" column. This formula would allow me to selectively choose which cells needs to be summed. What is the best/cleanest way to write that formula? Thank you. =SUMPRODUC...

How do I reduce the number of data points I have??
Hi , I have some 10000 data points from which I need to reduce to something like 100 points before making an xy chart. Typically I would like to make a chart of every 10th point. So basically I need to reduce the length of my two rows. Is there any way I can do this easily?? Any help is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance -- swapan From the Microsoft Charting FAQ: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=209#jon024 - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ ssan...

email notification of AD expiring password?
Hi Does anyone know of a utility that will automatically email someone when their Active Directory password is about expire? Thanks, Jack Why do you want to do this? The user will get a pop up letting them know that when they log in. "Jack Black" <JackBlack@hat.com> wrote in message news:elN0llXoEHA.2852@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hi > > Does anyone know of a utility that will automatically email someone when > their Active Directory password is about expire? > > Thanks, Jack > > It's for remote users. Since they are not on the domain, the...

Chart
Hello, I created a line column chart on 2 axis. I have four data sets. The first 3 should go on the primary Y axis as columns and the 4th should go on the secondary Y axis as a line. However, Excel wants to automatically put both the 3rd and 4th data sets on the secondary axis as lines. I cannot find any command to change the 3rd data set to go onto the primary axis as a column. Any suggestions would be most appreciated! -Patty On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 13:27:33 -0800, Patty = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > I created a line column chart on 2 ...

Automatic number fill-in on Labels
Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 to 3500. Just wishing I didn't have to key in every number....0001-0005, etc. See http://www.gmayor.com/Numbered_labels.htm. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Bridgett" <Bridgett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D380870-FF28-4227-B724-301AC3EC9A8D@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to have word automatically fill in a series of numbers on > Labels. I need a set of labels, counting by fives, from 1 ...

converting from text to numerical number
I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: 1 2 3 .... 31 row 1 row 2 row 3 Jan row 4 row 5 Feb row x Dec I would like to replace column 1 up to Jan to 1. Replace the cell below Jan to Feb to 2. etc. Would anyone help. Thanks in advance. You could select cells A1:A3, type a 1, then press Ctrl+Enter Select A4:A5, type a 2, and press Ctrl+Enter And so on, till all twelve months are done. james wrote: > I have a spread sheet of entire year schedule. The format as following: > > 1 2 3 .... 31 &...

Dex runtime error after adding modified smart list to vba
My first go round I had added the "original" Smartlist lookup for Inventory/Items to visual basic instead of adding a "modified" Smartlist Lookup for this screen. This worked fine, but I realized I didn't want all users to use the modified Smartlist. I then removed all these changes and tried to start fresh. I then added the original smartlist to Modifier. This was ok. I changed security to use the modified window. However, after adding the modified window, when I try to exit the screen, I get the Dexterity runtime error. I have repeated this seve...

Adding Fields 02-14-06
Is there a way to add a picklist programmatically ? If there is, a sample code would be greatly appriciated. Thank You in advance ...

Exchange 2003 AD Forest Trusts
OrgA has a forest and domain named OrgA. Exchange 2003 server is running happily at this location. OrgB, who has a forest and domain named OrgB is brought online. An external forest trust (2003 domain) between OrgA and OrgB is established. How can OrgB "mailbox enable" their existing user accounts, adding mailboxes on the OrgA Exchange 2003 server? Is this possible? Thanks, Phil Yes this topology is basically a resource forest. Some good resources. Planning for a Complex Exchange Organization http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/E2k7Help/0bd2ffaa-88c7-4dc1...

Splitting multiple cell contents from 1st column into 4 columns
n my first column I have 4 cells (1-4) (5-8) etc. with general content. The content from each of these 4 cells needs to be placed in a separate column to make a list that I can sort etc. Example: COLUMN A 1 01-04-425-001 2 Heatherridge Road #301 3 Harry Smith 4 H25 Condo Fairfax Place 5 01-05-356-041 6 McGrath Street # 56 7 Mary Jones 8 B45 Condo Lemon Circle . . . . . . and so on and so on every 4 cells. I have hundreds of 4 cell descriptions. I just can't do this one by one. Can anyone help, PLEASE, PLEASE. I am really a novice at Excel though I use it for e...

Activate email column to hyperlinks
I have a colume of email addresses in an excel 2002 document. I need to make them active hyperlinks - How ? Microsoft instuctinos are useless here. can't they be converted in one batch to active hyperlinks so when the email address is clicked on, the email program opens in a fresh email ? Many thanks for any help http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/buildtoc.htm#MakeHyperlinks -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "DixieWins" <DixieWins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F59C7F2-63DE-410B-B6FF-0EA29ECC8A35@microsoft.com... > I have a colume of email addr...

Column names are 1,2,3,....
I just noticed today that the column names in my excel spreadsheets are no longer alphabetical, but are numerical. The column marked "1" is defined by excel as column "1C", and row "1" is defined as row "1R". How can I get the column names to change back to the alphabet? Thanks Hi! G! Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good...

Converting a number to Hour & Min format
I am attempting to take a basic number, say 2000, and convert the number into an hour and minute format (i.e. 33:33) only. Everytime I use the custom format tab or the time/date tab I get a date included or an AM/PM setting. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance. Hi, For any number to be converted into time format you need to divide tha number by 24, since Excel time code is 24 (hr) code. then you forma the divided answer (83.33) into time, you will get 8:00 regards sazi -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use Format/Cells/Number/Custom [hh]:mm In article <...

Invalid column name 'ASSN_ENTSUMPROJID'
I have Project Server 2003 with SP3, SQL2005 database When i am saving a project to the Project Server, i am getting the following message: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Invalid column name 'ASSN_ENTSUMPROJID' This is happning to just one project. Please help me understand the reason behind this and if you have a solution to fix this issue. Thanks VM Find the stored procedure executing that SQL command, name of the stored procedure is in the same line of the log (ULS). Go to the procedure and re-compile it, ensure there are no red-underlined lines. ...