Add-in function has #NAME error

I am using Excel 2000 and after I loaded my first custom-written addin, the
addin function is apparently not recognized because when I put the function
into a cell I get a #NAME error.

The function name appears in the function drop-down list (I think this is
called the Name Box) under "user defined" as you would expect. And I can
pick it from there to put it into a cell. This eliminates any typo problem,
but as I said I still get a #NAME error.

In summary, I can pick the addin function from the Name Box and yet I get
the #NAME error. I think "#NAME" means the item is unknown and yet it's in
the Name Box. How could it be unknown? Makes no sense.

Any ideas?

0
don87109 (87)
2/20/2009 11:18:37 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

It is not called Name Box, it is called Function Wizard.
What is your formula? It would help to give the code of your function.
Anyway, you need an opening and closing bracket after the function name in
your formula, even if the function has no arguments.
Do post the code of the function; we may be able to help.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Don" <don87109@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I am using Excel 2000 and after I loaded my first custom-written addin, the
>addin function is apparently not recognized because when I put the function
>into a cell I get a #NAME error.
>
> The function name appears in the function drop-down list (I think this is
> called the Name Box) under "user defined" as you would expect. And I can
> pick it from there to put it into a cell. This eliminates any typo
> problem, but as I said I still get a #NAME error.
>
> In summary, I can pick the addin function from the Name Box and yet I get
> the #NAME error. I think "#NAME" means the item is unknown and yet it's in
> the Name Box. How could it be unknown? Makes no sense.
>
> Any ideas?

0
nicolaus (2022)
2/20/2009 11:25:58 PM
Maybe you mistyped something else in the the function?

=myfunc(a1,averag(c3:c6))

Would cause an error because =average() was spelled incorrectly.

Do you have any workbook/worksheet names that are the same?

Did you name a module by the same name as the function name?

--

Dave Peterson
0

The worksheet where it doesn't work originally had these same functions
explicitly coded and then removed when I made the addin. So I'm guessing
there is a conflict somewhere. I'll try changing the addin function names
and see what happens.

Thanks again.

> Maybe you mistyped something else in the the function?
>
> =myfunc(a1,averag(c3:c6))
>
> Would cause an error because =average() was spelled incorrectly.
>
> Do you have any workbook/worksheet names that are the same?
>
> Did you name a module by the same name as the function name?
>
> Don wrote:
>>
>> I am using Excel 2000 and after I loaded my first custom-written addin,
>> the
>> addin function is apparently not recognized because when I put the
>> function
>> into a cell I get a #NAME error.
>>
>> The function name appears in the function drop-down list (I think this is
>> called the Name Box) under "user defined" as you would expect. And I can
>> pick it from there to put it into a cell. This eliminates any typo
>> problem,
>> but as I said I still get a #NAME error.
>>
>> In summary, I can pick the addin function from the Name Box and yet I get
>> the #NAME error. I think "#NAME" means the item is unknown and yet it's
>> in
>> the Name Box. How could it be unknown? Makes no sense.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
don87109 (87)
2/21/2009 3:48:47 PM
That is a problem and one you can avoid by developing in a test workbook--one
that can be deleted after you move the code to its real home.

But you can "fix" the workbook that had the UDF and now returns that Name error.

In the workbook that lost that function (call it myFunc).

Insert|Name|Define
MyFunc
refers to $a$1
(of the activesheet)

Then delete that newly created name via Insert|Name|define.

Then finally, select the cells with the function (or all the cells)
edit|replace
what: =  (equal sign)
with: =  (equal sign)
replace all

Did it work?

--

Dave Peterson
0

I simply copied the functions that were explicitly defined in workbook A
into the new workbook (let's call it workbook B). Then I saved the addin
created in workbook B and deleted the associated modules in workbook A.

After I loaded the addin into Excel it did not work in workbook A (the #NAME
error). It did work in other workbooks.

Anyway, I re-created the addin with new names and now it works in all the
workbooks.

Thanks again.

P.S. I did the above before reading your note so I was not able to try your
latest suggestion.

> That is a problem and one you can avoid by developing in a test
> workbook--one
> that can be deleted after you move the code to its real home.
>
> But you can "fix" the workbook that had the UDF and now returns that Name
> error.
>
> In the workbook that lost that function (call it myFunc).
>
> Insert|Name|Define
> MyFunc
> refers to $a$1
> (of the activesheet)
>
> Then delete that newly created name via Insert|Name|define.
>
> Then finally, select the cells with the function (or all the cells)
> edit|replace
> what: =  (equal sign)
> with: =  (equal sign)
> replace all
>
> Did it work?
>

> Don wrote:
>>
>> Thanks everyone for the ideas. I just noticed that the addin works
>> correctly
>> in other worksheets. Apparently it doesn't work in just one worksheet.
>>
>> The worksheet where it doesn't work originally had these same functions
>> explicitly coded and then removed when I made the addin. So I'm guessing
>> there is a conflict somewhere. I'll try changing the addin function names
>> and see what happens.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> "Dave Peterson" <petersod@verizonXSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> > Maybe you mistyped something else in the the function?
>> >
>> > =myfunc(a1,averag(c3:c6))
>> >
>> > Would cause an error because =average() was spelled incorrectly.
>> >
>> > Do you have any workbook/worksheet names that are the same?
>> >
>> > Did you name a module by the same name as the function name?

>> > --
>> >
>> > Dave Peterson
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
don87109 (87)

Registry error after reinstall in 2002
I upgraded to a new hard drive and the setup software copied my old C drive to the new one. Outlook would not get new messages and trying to access the email accounts gets a message about the registry. I downloaded and used the Windows install clean utility because I got an error about not finding the patch when I tried to reinstall. Then was able to reinstall Office XP but still cannot access the email account menu selection. I still get the error message, "The operation failed due to a registry or installation problem...." I ran the repair. Still get the message. What's...

Certificate error suddenly showing up.
I have one user that is getting the following error each time he starts up Outlook on his system. Security alert autodiscover.domaain.com Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there is a problem with the site's security certificate. (Check mark) The security certificate is from a trusted certifying authority. (Check Mark) The security certificate date is valid. (Red X) The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site. Do you want to proceed? Yes No View Certificate. The certificate f...

How do I name categories of a pie chart
I am creating a pie chart of numeric values. I would like to add the names of each category. I don't seem to be able to find out exactly how to do it. HELP!! Right click within the chart, select "Format Data Series..." Go to "Data Labels" tab. Select "Series Name" or "Category Name" "RGC" wrote: > I am creating a pie chart of numeric values. I would like to add the names > of each category. I don't seem to be able to find out exactly how to do it. > HELP!! ...

Run-time error 438
I'm trying to find out why this code is not working. With Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").ListBox1 .Clear For FillCount = 1 To Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("E1") .AddItem Worksheets("ClassCodes").Range("C1").Offset(FillCount, 0) Next FillCount .ListIndex = Worksheets("Multi-period Code data").Range("O1").Value End With Just to clarify, there is a sheet named "Multi-period Code data" and ListBox1 exists on the sheet. The err...

Add-on for Sales Question
Hello, I need to add sales functionality to Outlook, for a single user. I was told about BCM. Do you use BCM or a similar product? I would appreciate any recommendation on this. Thank you very much. Talal Itani "Talal Itani" <titani@verizon.net> wrote in message news:10QTh.20$Da6.3@trnddc02... > Hello, > > I need to add sales functionality to Outlook, for a single user. I > was told about BCM. Do you use BCM or a similar product? I would > appreciate any recommendation on this. Thank you very much. Read replies to the prior thread you already ...

WMS Idle
In recent weeks, when I log out of Windows XP Pro (SP1 with all updates), I sometimes get an End Program error on WMS Idle, with the system saying it can't shut down WMS Idle. Whenever this occurs and I use the Task Manager to check processes that are still running, I find that OUTLOOK.EXE is still running even though I've previously closed Outlook 2002 (SP2 with all updates). There are no other symptoms and the only software updates I've done for many months are just Windows updates and McAfee updates. ...

Re: Add email address to outlook
Ben, Thanks for the reply. When I right click on the sender's name I don't have the option to "add sender to address book". Is there a way to add it. I did have that option when I used Outlook Express. thank you ...

How do you point to a named range in linked workbooks?
Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2? Is this what you're looking for...? In workbook 2 enter "=[Book1]Sheet1!$A$2" in cell A2. Do the same for cells B2 through K2 with the correct respective links. Hope this helps. -Chad "KG" wrote: > Workbook #1 has a range named "Gross Sales" in Sheet1 Cells A2:K2. How can I > point to this range so that I can link it to Sheet1 Cells2:K2 in Workbook #2? Or, if you don't like to ...

API TO get User Name
What is an Win32 call to get the user name in the form of COMPUTER\\User ? >What is an Win32 call to get the user name in the form of COMPUTER\\User ? Have a look at GetUserNameEx NameSamCompatible Dave Hi Michael, Yes, just as David provided, GetUserNameEx will help you to retrieve the user or other security principal associated with the calling thread. If you got a different token other than the current calling thread, you may first call ImpersonateLoggedOnUser by passing the token to impersonate the token in the current thread and then use GetUserNameEx to obtain the user ...

E-commerce add in?
I have a customer who is looking to implement RMS as well they are going to put some items in on there website. Is there a good/reccomended shopping cart site that would allow them to integrate the store and virtual store together. I have never done anything on the web side of things so I am looking for some info. Thanks. Zack Anderson ...

keep getting error message when importing clipart
While in Publisher I am trying to import clipart and keep getting this error message: The appropriate graphic converter is not available. I have reinstaleld my software using the full install setting. I have downloaded all updates and it still won't work. Can somone help me? Clear your cache, in IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. If that doesn't cure your issue, post back. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Karon" <Karon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6A2A64FD-B544-4...

Outlook 2003 error when trying to use WordMail
Hi, Outlook 2003 has recently started reporting the following error, when trying to use Word 2003 as the MAil Editor. I have tried all the uslal things including Uninstalling Office, clearing the main registry settings and re installing, but nothing seems to work, does anyone have any idea what is causing this and more importantly how to solve it: "Word is unavailable, not installed, or is not the same version as outlook. The outlook email word editor will be used instead. an OLE registration error occured. The program is not correctly installed run Setup program again" Gavin,...

Error when I open Outlook 2000
Error when I open Outlook 2000 (Windows 98 SE): OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module OUTLLIB.DLL at 0167:3a456262. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=0167 EIP=3a456262 EFLGS=00010202 EBX=00000004 SS=016f ESP=0056eba8 EBP=0056ebb8 ECX=0056ebc0 DS=016f ESI=006900d0 FS=4747 EDX=00000005 ES=016f EDI=00000000 GS=0000 Bytes at CS:EIP: ff 10 85 c0 7c 07 8b c6 5e 5d c2 04 00 33 c0 eb Stack dump: 006900d0 3a456278 0056ebc0 006902f0 0056ebd0 3a45cfd2 00ff0bc0 fff9721b 00584240 00690314 0056ebe4 3a45d100 00ff0bc0 00000000 00584240 0056ebf4 ...

Install error on GPD-only XPS printer driver
I'm trying to create a very basic GPD-only XPS printer driver, but when I try to install it through the Add Printer wizard I get an error 0x00000002. I'm primarily a business application developer, so my knowledge of printer drivers is rather limited, and any help on this will be greatly appreciated. My INF file is: [Version] Signature="$Windows NT$" Provider=%AS% ClassGUID={4D36E979-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Class=Printer DriverVer=10/17/2008,6.1.6930.0 [Manufacturer] %Microsoft%=Microsoft,NTx86,NTamd64,NTx86.6.0,NTamd64.6.0 [Microsoft.NTx86] &qu...

An error occured and this feature is no longer functioning properly. help!
This is what I get when saving my workbook. also it offers install some soft to repair the "feature". A runtime error happens when installing. I don't understand what feature is it about. Before that I made a copy of this book in csv format (when saving as csv, I also got a message that some features will not be compatible with csv format and I agreed because I guessed it was about a command button in the worksheet). When I opened xls book next time and tried to save it, it gave me the subj message, but saved after all in the end. I wonder if it is likely to cause me problems i...

vlookup or other function
I have two sheets with data on them. Sheet two contains item numbers and monthly usage: Item Usage Month ABC 8 1 ABC 0 2 ABC 2 3 DEF 5 1 DEF 2 2 DEF 1 3 Sheet 1 contains the item numbers and I want to add two columns Avg and Total. Is there a function that I can put on sheet one to total the usage and another to average the usage from sheet 2? Dan Im not sure if this answer is what you mean but.... =average(c2:c8) =average(sheet2!c2:c8) Im not sure if I am unders...

Change Name of Command Button
How can I change the name of a command button to text entered in cell a1? -- comotoman ------------------------------------------------------------------------ comotoman's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27292 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=477556 try this highlight the cell edit-copy right click commandbutton while in design mode click <properties> highlight name now edit -pastespecial hit enter toggle design mode "comotoman" <comotoman.1x5sih_1129741514.3488@excelforum-nospam.com&g...

Error in Mail Merge when selecting Edit Individual Labels
We are noticing an interesting error when trying to perform a mail merge within CRM and Microsoft Word. We have created a view in contacts and we perform all the typical mail merge functionality using the Labels option. At the end, instead of printing the labels without any edits, we click on “Edit Individual labels” and we get the following error… C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are on CRM v4 Update Rollup 8 using Outlook 2007 and the CRM Outlook (Online only) client. Has an...

Payee name field too small
When downloading transactions from my PNC Bank account, all check card purchases appear as, "CHECK CARD PURCHASE XXXXXXXX1583". Obviously the purchase amount appears as well however, unless I go to the banks website and pull up my statement, there is no way for me to know who the actual Payee is. Is there a way to make Money 2005 IGNORE these first 32 characters when reading the downloaded transactions? That way I would be able to set up a more efficient and accurate Payee list & Rules Manager without having to go to the web and look up each individual transaction. In ...

Text to Column Function Rejects Zeros
Hello, As part of a project, I was conducting a survey (administered online) using Snap survey software. Snap automatically sends results into an Excel file, which is great. However, several of the questions allowed participants to select more than one item ("Check the top 3 things..." etc.). These responses were coded in Excel into a 10101 format, where 1=checked and 0=not checked, all in one cell. Since 0 represents a response, I selected the cell formatting of these columns as Custom (Format->Cell->Number tab->Custom), so any 0s before the first 1 would not drop o...

I cant use englisch function names in a swedich version of excel
Hi, Why can't I use Englisch named function names, like =ROUND(...) in a sheet when I have a Swedich version of excel. Excel will tell me the error "#Name?" when I open an Englisch version worksheet or if I try to enter an englisch function name. But if I write a macro with the englisch function name inside the code and I call that macro in the sheet the function will be translated to the swedich function name. Thanks Pelle Hi this is just the way Excel works. For a function translation see: http://www.contextures.com/functions.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany ...

Formula to pull last name error (Excel 07)
In A1 I have Joe Smith, I would like Smith to be in B1. I tried using the function =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(“*”,SUBSTITUTE(A1,” “,”*”,LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,” “,””))))) but am getting the #NAME? error. FYI: I can't use the Text to Columns function because I have some names that have at least 2 middle names... Thanks -B Maybe something like that... [Start typing the formula(s) in column C first] http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/346/nonamer.png Micky "Outlook, eh?" wrote: > In A1 I have Joe Smith, I would like Smith to be in B1. > > I t...

Add event to menu item
How do I add an event to the click of a menu item? I've looked on Google but couldn't find what I'm looking for (probably too simple a question). http://www.codeproject.com/menu/MenusForBeginners.asp -- Regards, Nish [VC++ MVP] "Si" <si@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:WnR9f.25742$6i4.18667@newsfe7-gui.ntli.net... > How do I add an event to the click of a menu item? I've looked on Google > but couldn't find what I'm looking for (probably too simple a question). > Hi, In VC6, call ClassWizard, find the menu item's id and in ...

Create List/Add Row
Hello, I used the "Create List" function for a number of columns in a worksheet - but not all. I need to add a row, and I keep getting a message that says, "This operation is not allowed. The operation is attempting to shift cells in a list on your worksheet." I can add a row IN a list, but it only adds it in one column and doesn't carry it across the worksheet. It's when I try to add a row outside of a list that I get the error. Is there a way to correct this, so I can add/delete rows as needed? Thank you, in advance. Maybe you can convert e...

Copy and paste two named ranges together.
I am attempting to copy and combine two named ranges of equal size into a blank spreadsheet. How does one copy the first named range and concurrently seperate each copied row with a blank row into the blank spreadsheet, and copy the second range and paste those copied records into the blank rows? I am looking for a systematic way of doing this consolidation. There can be hundreds of rows of data. Also the named ranges can very in size month to month. The end result is to combine two ranges for a journal entry upload into a financial accounting entry. The two arrays represent the ...