Access/Excel: Create multiple Lines/Column out of one mulit-line Column?

Hallo everyone!

I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but
I had unfortunately no success.
The problem is the following:
I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one
corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly
multi-line (separated by a Return).
It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in
Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters.
I considered three solutions:
The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the
following two ways:
- Multiple Comment Columns could be created and then be filled by an
automatism which splits the one Column according to the CR-Signs.
 - A new Worksheet could be used to contain n lines for each Employee
whereas n is in accordance with the number of lines of the original
multi-line column comment.
Something like
ID 	Comment
10	a long comment\newline\more text

Would result in:
ID	Comment
10	a long comment
10	more text

The second solution would be the best due to the further handling of
the data.

Another solution would be programming something like this directly in
Access. Sadly, I have nearly no skills neither in programming access
nor in programming something like that in Excel.
I would be so delighted if someone could help me!

Regards,

Julian

PS: Excuse me for my "German English"

excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

I'm not sure this will solve your problem, but it is an approach I often
use for reformating data.  It does not require any programming.

As I understand it, you have an ACCESS data table, and one of the data
fields includes a RETURN. From what you say, it also appears that you
are able to copy the contents of that table into an EXCEL spreadsheet.

My approach would be to paste that EXCEL data into a Microsoft Word
document as a TABLE.  Then using WORD's Search and Replace tool, remove
all of the "RETURNS." You can search for "RETURNS" using ^p . Once you
have all the "RETURNS" removed, you can copy the table back into Excel
and process as I believe you desire.

WindsurferLA

Julian wrote:
> Hallo everyone!
>
> I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but
> I had unfortunately no success.
> The problem is the following:
> I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one
> corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly
> multi-line (separated by a Return).
> It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in
> Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters.
> I considered three solutions:
> The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the
> following two ways:
> - Multiple Comment Columns could be created and then be filled by an
> automatism which splits the one Column according to the CR-Signs.
>  - A new Worksheet could be used to contain n lines for each Employee
> whereas n is in accordance with the number of lines of the original
> multi-line column comment.
> Something like
> ID 	Comment
> 10	a long comment\newline\more text
>
> Would result in:
> ID	Comment
> 10	a long comment
> 10	more text
>
> The second solution would be the best due to the further handling of
> the data.
>
> Another solution would be programming something like this directly in
> Access. Sadly, I have nearly no skills neither in programming access
> nor in programming something like that in Excel.
> I would be so delighted if someone could help me!
>
> Regards,
>
> Julian
>
> PS: Excuse me for my "German English"

0
ps144nyc (65)
2/28/2006 4:05:17 PM

Julian wrote:
> Hallo everyone!
>
> I spent a lot of time today searching for a response to my question but
> I had unfortunately no success.
> The problem is the following:
> I have got an Access-table called Employee with an ID and one
> corresponding Field/Column called comment. These comments are stupidly
> multi-line (separated by a Return).
> It's my aim to have access (he he, wordplay) to these two fields in
> Excel whereas the field shouldn't be longer that 255 characters.
> I considered three solutions:
> The table could be changed after being exported to excel in the
> following two ways:
> - Multiple Comment Columns could be created and then be filled by an
> automatism which splits the one Column according to the CR-Signs.
>  - A new Worksheet could be used to contain n lines for each Employee
> whereas n is in accordance with the number of lines of the original
> multi-line column comment.
> Something like
> ID 	Comment
> 10	a long comment\newline\more text
>
> Would result in:
> ID	Comment
> 10	a long comment
> 10	more text
>
> The second solution would be the best due to the further handling of
> the data.
>
> Another solution would be programming something like this directly in
> Access. Sadly, I have nearly no skills neither in programming access
> nor in programming something like that in Excel.
> I would be so delighted if someone could help me!
>
> Regards,
>
> Julian
>
> PS: Excuse me for my "German English"

0
ps144nyc (65)

Converting QuatroPro to Excel
How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel spreadsheet. Any help? Thanks, Bob Open the file in Quattro Pro and save it in one of the supplied Excel formats. -- Regards Andy Wiggins www.BygSoftware.com Home of "Save and BackUp", "The Excel Auditor" and "Byg Tools for VBA" "Bob" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:36c601c40128$9e26a970$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How can convert a quatropro spreadsheet to an excel > spreadsheet. Any help? > Thanks, > Bob ...

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Excel 2007

Excel not Access

Counting number of X's in a column