A way to increase a number in a cell by using the + key

Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
eg
Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
2            5           4

I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
of detailed explanations, lol.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Tim
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

That would require VBA

How far are you willing to go with that?

Have a look at the Forms Toolbar and create spin buttons linked to
each cell.

Gord Dibben    Microsoft Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Tim <timbo2009au@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
>number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
>new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
>the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
>eg
>Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
>2            5           4
>
>I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
>Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
>of detailed explanations, lol.
>
>Any assistance would be appreciated.
>Tim
0
phnorton (279)
9/9/2011 2:11:57 AM
In article
<7b3c1ea4-e007-4ea5-bdc0-564e36b17e3d@e20g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
 Tim <timbo2009au@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
> number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
> new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
> the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
> eg
> Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
> 2            5           4
>
> I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
> Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
> of detailed explanations, lol.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Tim

I have not been able to understand  what you wanted even after reading
your post three times. Please realize that we only have what you typed
to go by. Wo you gave the example of values  2  5  4  in what I presume
are three cells somehwer. What next?

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
0
SalmonEgg (56)
9/9/2011 8:44:32 PM
Tim formulated the question :
> Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
> number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
> new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
> the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
> eg
> Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
> 2            5           4
>
> I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
> Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
> of detailed explanations, lol.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Tim

As Gord suggests, it would require VBA to do what you ask. *However*,
assigning a keyboard shortcut to a macro requires at least the Ctrl key
plus another key. That means you may be able to use 'Ctrl' and '+'.
Since the '+' key is used in formulas I'd suggest you pick an alpha key
like 'Crtl+i', for example, which could be shorthand for 'increase'.
Similarly, 'Crtl+d' could be used to 'decrease' the value. Optionally,
you could prompt the user for the amount to increase/decrease a
quantity of selected cells.

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)

Using Publisher for long reports
Hi. I write long reports (50 pages) in which layout and style are very important. I'm thinking of switching from Word to Publisher since Word's management of pictures and layout drives me wild. Can anyone advise me if Publisher might be the right choice? Does anyone have some long document templates they could show me? -- Giles It sounds like Publisher would be perfect for you since you indication that the layout is important. I can't help with a sample tho because (1) the longest I've done is about 24 pages and (2) my newsletters contain personal contact information and...

How can I use my calendar and other features wo using Outlook emai
I have Windows7 OS. I upgraded to MSO 2007. I cannot access the calendar, etc. without setting up an email profile which my ISP will not allow using the email address. How can I use my calendar and other features without using Outlook email? I could use the calendar on previous versions without setting up an email account. Why can't you use Outlook w/o a mail profile? What happens when you try? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft....

Can I delete OE and just use Microsoft Outlook 2002
I would like to delete Outlook Express is this advisable? I am going to be using Microsoft Outlook 2002 which I recieved w/Toshiba PDA and already have it set up on the same PC as OE. Can I use Microsoft Outlook for multiple e- mail accounts? Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q257824 With Outlook, you can integrate and manage e-mail from multiple e-mail accounts, personal and group calendars, contacts, and tasks. "Delia Marlowe" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:780901c4025...

Need VB code to edit cell values
I need some VB to do the following please (My VB is not good enough yet) Starting from the active cell (call it the StartCell) In the cell to the left.. ThreeChars = Value.right(3) (the last three chars) Value = Value - last three characters (assume value is text & at least 3 chars present) In StartCell.. value = ThreeChars (as text, overwrite any contents of StartCell) move active cell one down from StartCell Examples of before/after -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Stephen Ford" <Stephen_Ford_no@spam_uwclub....

How do I open doc's from Publisher 2000 when I am using Pub 2003?
I recently purchased Publisher 2003 and can't seem to edit any document from a previous version. Are you running Norton AV? Try disabling NAV Script Blocking ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Start NAV Click Options. If a menu appears when you click Options, then click NortonAntiVirus. The Norton AntiVirus Options dialog box appears. Click Script Blocking. Uncheck Enable Script Blocking (recommended). Click OK. Restart the computer if prompted to do so. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "GAR" <GAR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:01222D01-7A00-4...

Search for a text in a cell and give the outcome later
Dear expert, C30 to C60 contains some data. Say I wan to find piano and use =MATCH("*piano*",C30:C60,0) in cell D31 It gives me the anwer 20 in D31. 20 is the squence of piano. How can I use the function and use return the the whole cell content which is "Play Piano"? I only know where it is. How to locate where and give the whole content in D32 please? Thanks Elton Play games Play golf Play guitar Play piano Play Kite Play Sccoer Play cards Play WII Play music =INDEX(C30:C60,D31) -- Regards! Stefi „Elton Law” ezt írta: &g...

Referencing .NET 2.0 but end result uses .NET 3.5
I'm using DevStudio 2005 and I have a project that references System.dll ver 2.0.50727 and I accidentally compiled code that used an overload that only exists in version 3.5 because my intellisense showed it. I tried to compile it on another machine that never had the .NET 3.5 install and it wouldn't compile and the intellisense had that version of the overload yet both references looked identical; looking at ver 2.0 of System.dll The method in question was WaitHandle.WaitOne. ..NET 2.0 WaitOne() WaitOne(Int32, Boolean) WaitOne(TimeSpan, Boolean) ..NET 3.5 WaitOne...

Button or key to conditionally change text foreground color?
I would like to find some quick method (some sort of visible button or hotkey) for the user of a worksheet to change the text foreground color for certain cells in a block of cells (A1:I9) to some specific color if and only if the cell is blank. I.e. when the user hits this "red" key/button, every empty cell in A1:I9 gets a new foreground text color--red. Nothing would be immediately apparent, as these are empty cells, but as soon as the user starts entering values into these cells, the data would be shown in red... a "make all new data red" button/key. Is this possible?...

Changing a cell color....
Hi, Can someone help me how can I change a cell color using the"IF" command??? Thank you, Shaul On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:27:56 +0200, Shaul <bagaz@netvision.net.il> wrote= : > Hi, > Can someone help me how can I change a cell color using the"IF" = > command??? Under the Format menu, pick Conditional Formatting. -- = Dave dvt at psu dot edu ...

Any way to clear out stock pricing data before or after going to Quicken?
With all the discussion a few months ago about taking control of our own data, I had gone through the steps to look at my Money file as an Access DB, and found that of my 80MB, more than half was daily stock prices. Thats not something I really want to convert and maintain. I can't imagine that its really needed, since transactions have their own price info. Is there any way to get rid of it in Money, in Quicken, or other? Thanks In Money Plus: Portfolio > Other Tasks > More > Clear historical quotes The process may be different in earlier versions. "JDelMar&q...

How can I put a text box in every cell?
Two questions: -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to insert on manually every time? AND - How can I make sure that a text box inserts itself automatically into a new row whenever I add a row? Thanks! One way is to select the row with the text box and copy it to the next row. Copy and paste it several times and then select the rows and paste them as a group. "bmowell" wrote: > Two questions: > > -How can I put a text box in every cell that I am using WITHOUT having to > insert on manually every time? &g...

Is there a way to extract files from the Off line files cache
I have a laptop that used to be a member of a SBS 2003 domain and was utilizing folder redirection of My Documents. The laptop was never reconfigured to remove it from the domain and the user continued to use the domain login. Since that time (about a year ago), the computer and user were removed from the SBS domain. So far so good, the user on the laptop was happy.. Today, the laptop was worked on and was removed from the domain. Now, the question is, where are the files that used to be in My documents? I beleive they are cached in the Offline files folder (C:\wind...

Using a drop down box to select all results
I have a summary page which pulls data together from several sheets an displays summary statistics etc. I want to be able to use a drop down list to select particular product and only show data relating to those products - so far so good. But ..... having put in my drop down and referenced it in my formulae now cannot show the summary data for ALL products. Is there a wildcard that can be used in drop downs to select all -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could add (All) to your list of products, and check for that selection in the formula. For example: =IF(A2=...

group of numbers
How can I make a bunch of numbers being recognized as a group? I've got the following numbers: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. I want them to be considered as a group. How can I achieve it? Thank you for your attention --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ You can name the range of cells that contain the numbers. There are instructions here: http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html If that's not what you're trying to do, perhaps you could give a bit more detail. PeaceMaker < wrote: > How can I make a bunch of numbers being recognized as a group? > > I&...

using interop to create document word 2007
I am using c# and word interop to open a mailmerge document fill it in and then display it to the user. Once i display it the c# app has nothing more to do with the word document. The user can edit it as needed and then save it as a pdf and that is fine. The issue is I would like to set the default path for the document and it could be a network drive or sharepoint and will change every time also it will never be where the original document was opened. ...

Can I use Free Excel Viewer 97/2000 in Windows XP?
Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda The Viewer for Office 97/2000 works fine under Windows XP. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 15:11:01 -0700, "Linda" <Linda@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Microsoft downloads doesn't list the free excel viewer compatible with >Windows XP. Is there a free download to view and print excel spreadsheets, >that's compatible with Windows XP? Linda An...

Maximum number of process....Windows
Hi, Is there any limit of number of process or thread that can run at a time in Win9X and win2k/XP OS. Plz reply. regds vinay Well, on the toy systems (Win9x), the process limit is fairly small, probably reasonably on the order of a few hundred, but I've never measured it. The limit is based on the available real memory, the available paging space, the amount of GDI space, the number of windows, etc. (the USER and GDI space is shared system-wide under MS-DOS), and, or course, the sizes of the processes. On real operating systems, you will probably run out of patience before you r...

using excel from dotnet
situation: I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop Also need to write extracted data to excel. problem: At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12. (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.) I need to work at both locations. can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not) can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but not the latest) interface? i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not cop...

creating a program that uses data from a sensor....
Hello, I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an electronic circuit). What are the hardware components that would be needed? And what MFC class(es) would I use to accomplish this? Thanks, RABMissouri2006 On 21 Oct 2006 08:10:50 -0700, "RAB" <rabmissouri@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to create an MFC program that uses parameter values passed to it >from a meter (specifically the resistance in ohms of resisters in an >electronic circuit). What are the ha...

how to use outlook w/o exchange server?
Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA I have. The exchange server appears to be a fee based service - I don't know. I just want to use Outlook to schedule my appts, keep contacts and use email. SMScott <SMScott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Trying to use outlook and cannot send/receive email. error msg > 0x8004010F. I work from home, have no employess, no need to share > address book. Just trying to use it w/ a new PDA ...

is there a way to automatically insert and print random pictures
I am trying to create greeting cards using a variety of different pictures on the cover. Is there a way to automatically insert them from a file so each card has a different picture? You could setup a data base with the pictures, use the catalog merge. Help here Create a catalog merge http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher/HP101921831033.aspx -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "judy" <judy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1D33513D-9069-47E9-AB24-E4C88EA8D4C0@microsoft.com... >I am trying to create greeting cards using a variety o...

how do i ignore a number when using MODE function?
Hi I have a list of numbers that I want to find the MODE in: 0 0 1 2 0 0 3 3 2 2 2 0 0 But I want to be able to ignore the Zeros How do i go about doing this so the mode function gives me the #2 only Thank you -- Dev4me ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Dev4me's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=29709 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=498091 =MODE(IF(A1:A20<>0,A1:A20)) which is an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the...

how can I split one cell's data into two cells?
I am using Excel as a database, and have a column with cells with a person's name (text) in it...e.g., John Smith. NOW, after the fact, I wish to have a column with just John in it, and another column with just Smith...but I have NO idea how to do this! Help would be appreciated. Thank you. Please refrain from multiposting, you have answers in one of the 4! newsgroups you posted the same question in. Multiposting is frowned upon and even the MS web interface states so -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Excel 95 - Excel 2007 Northwest Excel Solutions www.nwexcelsolutions.com "It ...

How do you convert a formula cell to a constant cell
I use a formula to calculate the value, such as time difference, and want to save the value not the formula. The value (constant) will be used later to adjust both time cells used as arguments in the original formula--thus the need to preserve the value computed rather than the formula. After calculation, copy the cell with the formula then Edit - Paste Special - Values on the same cell. HTH "JQLogan" wrote: > I use a formula to calculate the value, such as time difference, and want to > save the value not the formula. The value (constant) will be used later to > ...

Using VBA to find a value and select a range
I am trying to write a macro that will let me find a specific vale in a specific column, then select part of the row that the value is in, beginnign with a column 31 cells away from the column that the specific value is in. Someone suggested to me that I use an IF statement, but this is all I know about that: IF [value in column B] is “Grand Total” Then select from column AF to the end of the array in that row and copy it and paste a transpose of the values starting in cell I9 of worksheet X. What is the best way for me to accomplish this goal? Does this macro do what you...