A way to increase a number in a cell by using the + key

Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
eg
Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
2            5           4

I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
of detailed explanations, lol.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Tim
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

That would require VBA

How far are you willing to go with that?

Have a look at the Forms Toolbar and create spin buttons linked to
each cell.

Gord Dibben    Microsoft Excel MVP

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 18:49:23 -0700 (PDT), Tim <timbo2009au@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
>number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
>new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
>the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
>eg
>Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
>2            5           4
>
>I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
>Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
>of detailed explanations, lol.
>
>Any assistance would be appreciated.
>Tim
0
phnorton (279)
9/9/2011 2:11:57 AM
In article
<7b3c1ea4-e007-4ea5-bdc0-564e36b17e3d@e20g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
 Tim <timbo2009au@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
> number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
> new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
> the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
> eg
> Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
> 2            5           4
>
> I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
> Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
> of detailed explanations, lol.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Tim

I have not been able to understand  what you wanted even after reading
your post three times. Please realize that we only have what you typed
to go by. Wo you gave the example of values  2  5  4  in what I presume
are three cells somehwer. What next?

--

Sam

Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
0
SalmonEgg (56)
9/9/2011 8:44:32 PM
Tim formulated the question :
> Hi, i do a lot of data entry and am looking for a way to increase the
> number in a cell (or range of cells) so that i dont have to enter the
> new number in each time. I have columns that separate items and i use
> the sheet to show the total count for each item in it's row.
> eg
> Item 1   Item 2   Item 3
> 2            5           4
>
> I'd like to use the + key only to increase the counts for each item.
> Did i make sense?? It's a Friday and my mind isn't quite up for a lot
> of detailed explanations, lol.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
> Tim

As Gord suggests, it would require VBA to do what you ask. *However*,
assigning a keyboard shortcut to a macro requires at least the Ctrl key
plus another key. That means you may be able to use 'Ctrl' and '+'.
Since the '+' key is used in formulas I'd suggest you pick an alpha key
like 'Crtl+i', for example, which could be shorthand for 'increase'.
Similarly, 'Crtl+d' could be used to 'decrease' the value. Optionally,
you could prompt the user for the amount to increase/decrease a
quantity of selected cells.

--
Garry

gs3102 (378)

Can't Send Messages Until I Press F9 Key
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------030800050502050601040701 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit After I compose a message and click Send, the message does go its way until I press F9 or choose Tools|Send/Receive. I'm using Outlook 2003 on Windows XP. In case it matters, there's a toolbar for ZoneAlrm Outlook Addin with Junk filters (I use the Zone lite firewall freebie). Is there a setting in Outlook I need to set to automatically send messages? Should I disable the Zone addin? If so, how? Thanks. ---...

Excel 2003 extract repeating cells

cell looses name after sorting
Can someone help me with the following problem in Excel 2000: in a table I have attached serveral cells with unique cell names, the values in these cells are used in other sheets. the problem is that when I sort the table, the cell names stay in the original rowposition; they are not sorted! while their values are. So Cell names get different values, and other calculations on my other sheets get messed up! How can I make the cell names relative instead of absolute? thankx in advance, Jim --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ "jimfx >" <<jimfx.109zcv@exc...

Payroll Batch Number
Is it possible to obtain the batch number of a transaction after it has been posted? I have been asked to create a report for our payroll department that lists the batch number in addition to the transaction detail that is contained in UPR30300. Thank you, Jeff Majchrzak No, the batch number is not available for reporting. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Jeff Majchrzak" wrote: > Is it possible to obtain the batch number of a transaction after it has been > posted? I have been asked to create a report for our payroll department that > lists the bat...

Custom cell formatting
I need to create a custom format for a series of cells that will begin like this. I can't figure out what the code character is fora volitile potentially alpha character. Can anyone help me?? -Monica, Dallas 000000 000001 000002 .... 000009 00000A 00000B 000010 000011 ...... Monica something like this might work for you but you'll need to put all the leading digits in for the entry with the alpha character Regards Trevor "MDavison" <davison@fr.com> wrote in message news:#SD0tUzTEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I need to create a custom format for a series ...

Creating a template using Publisher

Auto formatting features: How do I align page numbers in publicati
I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can someone help me? Cissy99 wrote: > I've got a problem with my publication. I can't align even page numbers to > the left without automatic moving the odd numbers to the left as well? Can > someone help me? You need to create a two-page master rather than a one-page master. What version of Publisher are you running? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://ed.mvps.org ...

Using Sumproduct when some of the values are null
I am having a problem using Sumproduct when some of the cells have null values. I will try to describe the problem. Please let me know if you need additional information. Do any of you have any ideas of how I can fix that sumproduct to get it to work? A B C Row Trend Claims 5 Emergency $0 6 Emergency $0 7 Emergency $0 8 Emergency 81.68% $24,444 9 Emergency 35.00% $164,758 10 Emergency 35.00% ...

Microsoft CRM using Firefox
Hello, Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work correctly on Firefox. Currently, I have employees that are using Firefox and are encountering the same issue as IE [Internet Explorer bombs out and states that it has encountered problems...]. I am just having employees use IE to prevent problem. Thank you for your comments in advance. Install a Firefox extension called IETab "Marcos" <Marcos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:19B93E29-757D-46FF-B747-A17EB112ED94@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > Would anyone by chance know if CRM will work cor...

Accessing an USB port using MFC
Hello, I am new to MFC and I am doing a project in which I have to acquire images from matrix-vision camera. Can any one kindly help me how to access the USB port using MFC. Thanks in advance Raj You don't. Even the concept of "accessing the USB port from MFC" is without meaning. What you have to do is open the device, given that you have installed the device driver for the camera. If the camera does not have a device driver, you will have to write a streaming video device driver to support it. This is, to put it mildly, a non-trivial undertaking. There is no known w...

Unable to repy using word editor
When repyling to an e-mail I receive the following message, "This form requires Word as your e-mail editor, but Word is either busy, or cannot be found. The form will be opened in the Outlook editor instead". I found article 284900, that states you may get this message when you have office 2000 and office xp installed on the same computer. This is not the case on my computer, Office 2000 does not exist, only office xp. Can anyone help me? There appear to be a whole host of causes for this error message. Most have no solution. Here are a few that do: http://support.microsoft...

Is anybody using Symantec Enterprise Vault?
Hi, A vendor has recommended this solution to us, I have looked at the datasheet for the product and it speaks the right language but I was wondering if anybody on here uses it in a live environment and what their opinion of it is. Cheers Sean ...

Using iterations to calculate circular references.
I am working with data that requires using circular references in some calculations. I checked the "iterations" box to allow for these calculations to work, and Ecxel seems to be calculating everything correctly. The problem is that after I close the workbook, when I later reopen it to continue working, all the cells that are a part of the circular reference display the #VALUE! error. I can fix this by deleting one cell that is part of the loop and then undoing that command, or by copying the formula from a cell, deleting it, and pasting it back into the same cell. I have to d...

using Xsd.exe to generate classes *properly*

Operating a small passenger service
I am hoping someone has managed to customise outlook in a way that allows you to use the programe to manage bookings on a small passenger service. I.e input a new booking, number of people, location etc. Then email the days bookings to the different drivers. Maybe it could also be set up to know how many seats are avialale to reduce the risk of double booking? Im using Outlook 2003. ...

in C# fastest way to convert a string into a MemoryStream
in C# fastest way to convert a string into a MemoryStream new MemoryStream(Encoding.UTF8.GetBytes(yourString)); But if the string is very large you may want to call Encoding.UTF8.GetEncoder() then encoding the string in buffer chunks and write those chunks to the memory stream. "Daniel" <softwareengineer98037@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23r4B$S7lFHA.3584@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > in C# fastest way to convert a string into a MemoryStream > > ...

Formatting Cells in Excel 97

Excel devides every number by 100
Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and adding loads of work to my project. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?a2luZ3M=?=" <kings@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:48A39EFC-2D09-420F-B2DF-6EF5C0DB6109@microsoft.com: > Even when I open a brand new file. I input a number (ie 5) > and get 0.05 back. I have tried doing everything in cell > format etc.. anyone have an idea? it is very annoying and > adding loads of work to my project. > ...