65536 Rows for how long????

Hi there!
I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
They most deffinitely should!
Best regards,
Albert
0
Albert (28)
9/18/2006 4:34:02 AM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

"Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> They most deffinitely should!

Why "certainly"?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

0
gezgin (65)
9/18/2006 4:49:49 AM
Well, not "certainly", but its certainly my opinion.
I think 65536 is not enough. I believe that, among other things, Excel was
made for managing large amounts of information efficiently. I think that in
this day and age, 65536 rows is not enough. Of course one can develop
workarounds and multi-region databases and other stuff, but I feel its time
to grow... It would be lovely if they could grow to the millions!
best Regards,
Albert

"Opinicus" wrote:

> "Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> > I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> > They most deffinitely should!
>
> Why "certainly"?
>
> --
> Bob
> http://www.kanyak.com

0
Albert (28)
9/18/2006 5:01:02 AM
Excel 2007 will be out in a few months.

It will have 16,384 columns and 1,048,576 rows.

Biff

"Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
> I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> They most deffinitely should!
> Best regards,
> Albert

0
biffinpitt (3172)
9/18/2006 5:22:03 AM
That's gonna be sooooo cool.
Thx

"Biff" wrote:

> Excel 2007 will be out in a few months.
>
> It will have 16,384 columns and 1,048,576 rows.
>
> Biff
>
> "Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi there!
> > I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> > They most deffinitely should!
> > Best regards,
> > Albert

0
Albert (28)
9/18/2006 5:29:01 AM
On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 22:29:01 -0700, Albert wrote in
microsoft.public.excel:

>That's gonna be sooooo cool.

.... and break much VBA code. Of course, those who never assumed that the
number of rows is a constant or only used Long variables for row indices
have nothing to fear.

>"Biff" wrote:
>
>> Excel 2007 will be out in a few months.
>>
>> It will have 16,384 columns and 1,048,576 rows.
>>
>> Biff
>>
>> "Albert" wrote in message
>> > Hi there!
>> > I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
>> > They most deffinitely should!

--
Michael Bednarek   http://mbednarek.com/   "POST NO BILLS"
0
>That's gonna be sooooo cool.

No, it'll create more problems than it solves. Few humans can cope with
thousands of rows much less the tens of thousands that Excel has
provided since Excel 97. Then there's the small problem of spreadsheet
size.

If you need to process datasets with more than 65K records, you really
shouldn't be using spreadsheets.

That said, about time Microsoft expanded the number of columns.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/18/2006 4:23:32 PM
Last cell is
XFD1048576
Ranges which WERE named something like Bob1 are renamed _Bob1 (leading
underscore). While this is fine for the Excel piece, VBA code will break:
Range("Bob1").Select, for example, will NOT be changed to
Range("_Bob1").Select
So, if you ARE expecting to upgrade, then if you have some extra time, you
can get a heads up on changing those names ahead of time!

"Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there!
> I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> They most deffinitely should!
> Best regards,
> Albert

Bob,

Does *every* named range start with a leading underscore?

Biff

"Bob Umlas" <Excel_Trickster@msn.com> wrote in message
> Last cell is
> XFD1048576
> Ranges which WERE named something like Bob1 are renamed _Bob1 (leading
> underscore). While this is fine for the Excel piece, VBA code will break:
> Range("Bob1").Select, for example, will NOT be changed to
> Range("_Bob1").Select
> So, if you ARE expecting to upgrade, then if you have some extra time, you
> can get a heads up on changing those names ahead of time!
>
> "Albert" <Albert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there!
>> I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
>> They most deffinitely should!
>> Best regards,
>> Albert

0
biffinpitt (3172)
9/19/2006 4:00:04 AM
Albert wrote:
> Hi there!
> I was wondering: is Microsoft planning on expanding the 65536 row limit?
> They most deffinitely should!
> Best regards,
> Albert
Quattro Pro has had 1,000,000 rows for some time now. I've never gotten
past about 2,000 rows so far in any spreadsheet I've created. QP has the
nice feature of being able to specify how many total rows and columns
there are in any spreadsheet you create. You can have a one by one
spreadsheet if you really want to call attention to cell A1!

Bill
0
wfsnopam (66)
9/19/2006 3:36:47 PM
Biff wrote...
>Does *every* named range start with a leading underscore?

You don't have the beta with which to test?

BOB1 is a valid cell address in .xls{x|m|b} files, and Excel has only
one name space for both cell addresses and defined names, so BOB1
becomes ambiguous while ZZZ12345 doesn't. Therefore, BOB1 changes to
_BOB1 while ZZZ12345 remains ZZZ12345.

Adding to the fun, if an .xls file contains the defined names FOO1 and
_FOO1, when you save it as an .xls{x|m|b} file, the existing defined
name _FOO1 remains as-is while the original defined name FOO1 becomes
__FOO1 (that's 2 underscores). So it's not going to be just a simple
text processing exercise to fix macros that refer to such defined names.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/19/2006 5:22:48 PM
Bill Sharpe wrote...
>Quattro Pro has had 1,000,000 rows for some time now. I've never gotten
>past about 2,000 rows so far in any spreadsheet I've created. QP has the
>nice feature of being able to specify how many total rows and columns
>there are in any spreadsheet you create. You can have a one by one
>spreadsheet if you really want to call attention to cell A1!

Going further afield, WingZ had a 32768 by 32768 grid back in the early
1990s, but the interface was so unusual it guaranteed few spreadsheet
users would switch to it. Many Unix/Linux/BSD spreadsheets have had
more than 1,000 columns and 100,000 rows for over a decade.

A cynic might believe that only the emergence of OpenOffice at a price
point even Microsoft would find difficult to beat has led (perhaps
dragged, kicking & screaming) Microsoft to expand Excel's worksheet
capacity for the first time in 9 years.

Excel 97 (8) was a huge improvement over Excel 5/95 (7), and Excel 2K
(9) at least introduced some siginificant new features and fixed
others. However, Excel 2002 (10) and 2003 (11) have been at most minor
version updates for full upgrade price. Basically, Microsoft had done
the bare minimum necessary to sell upgrade units over the last two
upgrades, so it was about time they got to work.

0
hrlngrv (1990)
9/19/2006 5:44:14 PM
>You don't have the beta with which to test?

No.

Ok, I understand. Since the new expanded grid has a cell address of BOB1,
Excel adds the underscore.

Biff

"Harlan Grove" <hrlngrv@aol.com> wrote in message
> Biff wrote...
>>Does *every* named range start with a leading underscore?
>
> You don't have the beta with which to test?
>
> BOB1 is a valid cell address in .xls{x|m|b} files, and Excel has only
> one name space for both cell addresses and defined names, so BOB1
> becomes ambiguous while ZZZ12345 doesn't. Therefore, BOB1 changes to
> _BOB1 while ZZZ12345 remains ZZZ12345.
>
> Adding to the fun, if an .xls file contains the defined names FOO1 and
> _FOO1, when you save it as an .xls{x|m|b} file, the existing defined
> name _FOO1 remains as-is while the original defined name FOO1 becomes
> __FOO1 (that's 2 underscores). So it's not going to be just a simple
> text processing exercise to fix macros that refer to such defined names.

0
biffinpitt (3172)

Checking for duplication on rows
Hello, In a particular spreadsheet, I would like to verify if the same name is listed on multiple rows. The name is entered in multiple columns on the same row, that is acceptable, but I would like to know if the name is entered on multiple rows regardless of the column. How can I check this? THANKS, karmen -- Karmen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Karmen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30972 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=509495 Presume you're checking some...

How long should it take an Information Store to start with no edb.chk
We've been having problems with our 5.5 server (20 hours in now) Having performed a restore of an offline backup we started the Information Store with no edb.chk. I believe this will go through all the edb.log files and replay what it needs to. I have 26 log files (so 130Mb) and the priv.edb is around 31Gb in size. The information store has been starting up now for over 5 hours. There seems to be activity the service control "clock" is spinning. No errors in the Event logs whilst this happens. I read in article KB 200941 How the Restore in Progress Registry Key works that if...

Keeping Row 1 At Top When Scrolling?
How do i make it so that the top row, row 1, stays at the top of my sheet no matter how far i scroll down the page? Many thanks Kev. Kev, Select cell A2 and then go to the Window menu and choose Freeze Panes. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com chip@cpearson.com "KMc" <mcauley@ourgeneration.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:bf0re3$uoe$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk... > How do i make it so that the top row, row 1, stays at the top of my sheet no > matter how far i scroll down the page? > > Ma...

a long thread of if-then statements
Hi. I'm using MS Excel Xp. Here's my problem: :confused: I have a large flatfile of our sales people and I need to do a pivot table on them. but before that, I need to create a new column which contains certain tiering of their earnings. For example: Name: Earnings Tier Person A $5000 $0 - $10,000 Person B $34,500 $30,001 - $40,000 Person C $1M $990,000 - $1,000,000 Person D $2.5M $2,490,001 - $2,500,000 The column "Tier" is the one I need to create. How do I create a long IF-TH...

Count Rows When Using Auto-Filter
Using the auto-filter function I need to count the number of rows returned each time I select a new value. I can do a COUNTA (&#8211;1 to allow for the header row), on the column that counts all the rows but when I use the filter I still get the total count not a count of the reduced quantity by the filter. Can anyone help? Nick use the subtotal function with a first argument of 3 =subtotal(3,A2:A300) as an example. Make sure the column you do the counta on will have values in all rows. -- regards, Tom Ogilvy "Nick" <ner@westnet.com.au> wrote in message news:15...

Hidden Rows
I came accros a spreasheet were the first 8 rows are hidden. I can select and edit the cells by entering the cell reference into th Name Box. But I cannot make them visible - the rows have a height o 15. And selecting all the cells then selecting unhide does not work. Protection has not been applied. Does anyone have any ideas on how this was done? and how can I mak them visible? Thanks -- michael.a ----------------------------------------------------------------------- michael.a7's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3302 View this thread: http:...

Switch row with column?
Hello guys, im very new to excel, and im trying to learn. I cant seem to figure out how to switch my chart around. I have a list of companies on the top, and down the left i have a list of locations. How can i make the locations go on top, and the companies down the left? -- jason57gizmo ------------------------------------------------------------------------ jason57gizmo's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=30700 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=503627 Depending on the number of rows you're using--since t...

Calculate difference in rows in a query
I have a query that calculates how much revenue is claimed by month per job but then I have to take the new month less the prior month. The problem is the data is in row format. I don't know how to subtract February from January, March from but don't know how. I know how to do it in Excel but not Access. Please help... Example: Order Month JTD Clm Variance 101026521 January $511,525 $0 101026521 February $511,525 $0 101029438 January $1,238 $0 101029438 February $3,713 $2,475 101033168 January $21,465 $0 101033168 February $51,460 $29,995 101034011 Janu...

Ranking/Sorting more than 3 row's
I have a spreadsheet with 742 rows (of company names). I have 5 columns of criteria for the companies. Each column is a different criteria about each company, and has a numerical rank for each company. 1-~75 (some columns/criteria have no rank for a company) I want to create an overall rank of the companies based on how they perform across the 5 rows. I want the companies with the most 1's at the top and then those with 1 & 2's and then those with 2 & 2's etc. Is there a way to sort or rank this spreadsheet of companies? I would do a sum of the inverses of each of...

Insert blank rows
Rather than using the control button to select every other row, which can be very time consuming when you have more than 100 rows, I am trying to figure out how to auto-insert blank rows between pre-populated rows of information. Deb, Try this macro. ALT+F11 to open VB editor. Right click 'ThisWorkbook' and insert module and paste the code in on the right . Change the sheet name to your sheet and run the code Sub insert_rows() Dim ws As Worksheet, x as long Set ws = Sheets("Sheet3") lastrow = ws.Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row For x = ...

Help with counting rows
I have a datafeed that comes to me everyday via email , every day the feed had slighty different rows as it has different updated products i.e. somedays 999 , 1001 etc. What i need to do is run a macro so when the excel file arrives to count the number of rows and then add the letter "y" in a 3 new columns . At the moment i have to do it manually is this easy to do Paul iLastRow = Range("A1").End(xlDown) Range("B1").Resize(iLastRow,3).Value = "y" -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) <plm11111@h...

Insert row, table to table
Hi, As I cannot use INSERT INTO with values specified to WHERE. I have created an interim temporary table where the record contains two text strings.Now I want to be able to take those text strings and append to the correct table where the record is set by an ID number. First_Name = Fred Last_Name = Jones Its a new contact so it is too be added to a customer with an ID = 1375 Now I can't use the following sql statement strsql = "INSERT INTO [tblCUSTCONTACTS] ( [FIRST_NAME], [LAST_NAME] ) " _ & " VALUES (""" & strFirst & "&...

Insert a row based on a macro
Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. See answers in your other post. Pls don't multi post -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Mindie" <Mindie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75A1DDD5-6334-410D-8646-091B43D1B198@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to insert a row based on a formula. For example, If A5=25, I > then want to duplicate the existing row and insert it in the line below. ...

insert 'x' number of rows in excel
Hi, I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is the result of a 'countA' function. Is this possible? Hi# only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I'm looking to insert 'x' no. of rows into an excel document where 'x' is >the result of a 'countA' function. > >Is this possible? >. > Yes VBA is feasible "Frank Kabel" wrote: > Hi# > only possible with VBA. Would this be feasible for you? > > >-----Original ...

Offset, sum down to the first blank row
can anyone write the formula to sum down to the first blank row it encounters? In the sample data below I want the xx to sum only to 60 Assume the word sum is in cell A1 and the xx is in cell B1. sum xx Blue 10 Black 20 Red 30 Red 20 black 40 thanks much. p.s. would this formula be considered "volatile" and therefore "risky"....if so, what's the risk. thx. "Tami" <Tami@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFA4F8A3-A823-4522-A946-F55AB55E0B29@microsoft.com... > can anyone write the formula to ...

Moving Column Sums to Rows
What is the simplest way to enter a sequence of values such as =SUM (A1:A100),=SUM (B1:B100),=SUM (C1:C100), etc. into a COLUMN? What is the simplest way of converting simultaneously such values to ($a$1:$a$100) etc.? I could only find a slow and clumsy method by putting the formula in a row, right dragging, then using F4 on each individual cell before using paste special with transpose. Roger PB Hi Roger, > What is the simplest way to enter a sequence of values such as =SUM > (A1:A100),=SUM (B1:B100),=SUM (C1:C100), etc. into a COLUMN? > =SUM(OFFSET($A$1,0,ROW()-1,1,100...

problem with long message-IDs: Outlook chokes
I get a fair bit of spam with message-IDs longer than 168 characters (or missing). As a result, Outlook clients won't download any my messages until I manually go through the mail server's incoming queue and delete the messages; quite a pain as it happens roughly once daily (and there's no easy way to tell which messages have the bad IDs). Does anyone know a way to make Outlook skip these messages, rather than not download anything? I'd even be interested in how to grep the files for long message IDs (if only I were smarter about Windows utilities for that sort of thing). My ...

Excel won't allow access to some rows!--- Very strange!!
I have a strange problem with one of my spreadshteets. I am not able to access or see any rows 1 to 31. It is as if the "hide" function is in effect. I have tried the "unhide" function, but no use. It is as if I am locked out of these rows! I don't have any "freeze" function active with respect to the unaccesible rows. Anyone here knows what is going on? thanks When you try and unhide select the whole sheet by clicking the border above and to the left of cell A1 and then try unhide rows and then also try row heightr standard. -- Hope this helps M...

Can't See Rows (not hidden)
I have been sent a spreadsheet where many of the rows are "hidden" and I need to see them. They aren't hidden in the typical hide/unhide way and I can't figure out how to open them up. Can anyone suggest what I can do to "unhide" the rows? Hi Probably the row height is set to 0. Select the some range of rows with missing ones included, and set new row height (p.e. 12.75) -- When sending mail, use address arvil<at>tarkon.ee Arvi Laanemets "ChrisW" <ChrisW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2487060-69DA-466A-ACC7-1B5CC5F0...

Double-click on row-separator doesn't always correctly adjust row height
Our company often uses Excel v.2003 to generate table-like text reports. The cells often contain text that wraps to multiple lines. We also have merged cells at various locations. I often will double-click on the border between two row headers to make the row above auto-expand/collapse to make the row fit to the amount of wrapped text. However, there seem to be many situations where the row will collapse to only one row in height. It might have to do with merged cells (either in the row itself or somewhere else in the document). This seems to be a bug. Could you please tell me which s...

cell in row has highest value and rtrns col hdr
hi, can anyone advise as to which formula would be able to find the highest ("=MAX(A$:T$)")value in a row of cells and once identified return the column header? thanks for any help! =index(1:1,match(max(2:2),2:2,0)) Will find the first largest value in row 2 and return the header from row 1. Michael wrote: > > hi, > can anyone advise as to which formula would be able to find the highest > ("=MAX(A$:T$)")value in a row of cells and once identified return the column > header? thanks for any help! -- Dave Peterson "Michael" wrote: >...

Freezing Top and Bottom Rows
Can I Freeze both Top and bottom pane on my worksheet, so when I scrool up an down I can see them both. Thanks /keith Keith No. Just the top row(s) can be frozen. Sort of work-around.....Window>New Window>Arrange>Horizontal. Have one skinny window at bottom and freeze top row in top window. Turn off row and column headers, scroll bars and sheet tabs on skinny window. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 00:47:58 GMT, "Keith Camacho" <kfcam@earthlink.net> wrote: >Can I Freeze both Top and bottom pane on my worksheet, so when I scrool up >an dow...

How do I add row total when cell contains both number and letter .
I have a timesheet spreadsheet. Cell contents include hours and coding. Example: 8 (8 hours regular pay-no letter) or 8V (8 hours vacation pay). I want to have a total at the end but my formula will only read the cells that don't have a letter after the number. If the text value is always "V" you could use something like =SUM(IF(RIGHT(A18:A21,1)="V",VALUE(LEFT(A18:A21,LEN(A18:A21)-1)),A18:A21)) entered as an array formula (control-shift -return) If there are other codes than just V, it gets a little more complex. if the coding is never more than just one charac...

Matching values in different sheets and rows
To fill in a value V, with the restriction that the stock number (10-40) should have the same value as in Sheets B, C, ..., I use in a cell right of the stock numbers in Sheet A the folllowing code: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(C7,'SheetB'!A:A,0)),'SheetB'!C1,IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH etc... But the values in sheets B, C etc are not filled in in the same order as Sheet A. How to transfer that the value V is from a certain row? Sheet A 10 V 20 V 30 V 40 V ... Sheet B 40 XX 30 ZZ ... V should be filled in with value where 10 sheet A = 10 sheet B etc. So: 30 ZZ 40 XX See also: http://...

Delete entire row if older then 365 days
How do I create a macro that will delete entire row if older then 365 days. Dates are on col "A" last col of data = "U" Data is kept in sheet "details" Thank you If you agree to ignore lap years then the following simple code will do. Put it into the Sheet "details" Level: -------------------------------- Sub Del_Oldies() LR = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row For R = LR To 1 Step -1 If Date - Cells(R, 1) > 365 Then Cells(R, 1).EntireRow.Delete Next End Sub -------------- Micky "Pas" wrote: &g...