45 Degree Angled Text & Fill Option

I have Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) running on XP and I'm wondering if
this is a bug or not.

If you have text in the first Row and you set it to 45 degrees angled,
if you try and fill different cells with different fill colors,
sometimes the box will fill angled, othertimes straight up and down.

As a simple test, try creating a blank worksheet and make the first 3
columns 35 each in width and 100 in height.  The type some text in
each of the cells - not too much.  Now select all 3 cells and format
their alignment to 45 degrees.  Now pick each one of the cells and
fill each with a different color.

It's driving me nuts and I want this to work soooo bad for a critical
doc I'm working on - but it looks ugly as hell because some are angled
and others are straight up and down (like it's conforming to still
being a rectangle vs. a paralleogram now for shape.  I have a sheet
I've been working on that the first 4 cells follow the rules but
anything else doesn't work right.

Anyone have any ideas here?
0
user11 (2)
9/20/2004 11:33:53 PM
excel 39879 articles. 2 followers. Follow

Interesting thread here on "slanted" cells.

http://snipurl.com/60xt

Be sure to read all posts so you know what's happening(or not happening)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On 20 Sep 2004 16:33:53 -0700, user1@senojfilms.com (XP User) wrote:

>I have Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) running on XP and I'm wondering if
>this is a bug or not.
>
>If you have text in the first Row and you set it to 45 degrees angled,
>if you try and fill different cells with different fill colors,
>sometimes the box will fill angled, othertimes straight up and down.
>
>As a simple test, try creating a blank worksheet and make the first 3
>columns 35 each in width and 100 in height.  The type some text in
>each of the cells - not too much.  Now select all 3 cells and format
>their alignment to 45 degrees.  Now pick each one of the cells and
>fill each with a different color.
>
>It's driving me nuts and I want this to work soooo bad for a critical
>doc I'm working on - but it looks ugly as hell because some are angled
>and others are straight up and down (like it's conforming to still
>being a rectangle vs. a paralleogram now for shape.  I have a sheet
>I've been working on that the first 4 cells follow the rules but
>anything else doesn't work right.
>
>Anyone have any ideas here?

0
Gord
9/21/2004 12:30:51 AM
User,

There was a time (Excel 97, I think) when using the Format Painter to copy
formatting would cause different results (rectangular vs. slanted) with
slanted fill colors.  That doesn't seem to be the case with XL2002.  The
only thing I've seen is if there are any borders in the cell.  Then the
color fill slants with the cell (even if it's only a bottom border).  If you
put in a white border, or one the same color as the fill, it's not
noticeable, or even visible.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"XP User" <user1@senojfilms.com> wrote in message
> I have Excel 2003 (11.6355.6360) running on XP and I'm wondering if
> this is a bug or not.
>
> If you have text in the first Row and you set it to 45 degrees angled,
> if you try and fill different cells with different fill colors,
> sometimes the box will fill angled, othertimes straight up and down.
>
> As a simple test, try creating a blank worksheet and make the first 3
> columns 35 each in width and 100 in height.  The type some text in
> each of the cells - not too much.  Now select all 3 cells and format
> their alignment to 45 degrees.  Now pick each one of the cells and
> fill each with a different color.
>
> It's driving me nuts and I want this to work soooo bad for a critical
> doc I'm working on - but it looks ugly as hell because some are angled
> and others are straight up and down (like it's conforming to still
> being a rectangle vs. a paralleogram now for shape.  I have a sheet
> I've been working on that the first 4 cells follow the rules but
> anything else doesn't work right.
>
> Anyone have any ideas here?

0
nothanks4548 (968)

What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells?
Hi, What must I do to get gridlines printed for both filled and empty cells? I'm a teacher, and I'm trying to replicate and print, in Excel, an attendance book format, with a series of tiny squares next to each student's name. The printed form of this would allow me to register if a student were present or absent on a particular day. Hubert -- Hubert Earl, vendor of fine Jamaican art, coffee, etc. on eBay: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=12295024&ssPageName=L2?refid=store; Fine Jablum Blue Mountain Coffee sales page: http://stores.ebay.com/Jamaican-Coffee-Art-and-More-Store_Jab...

Dates shown as text
When I use the trim function on some dates that have been input as text, the leading spaces are gone. But Excel still treats the dates as though they were text However, if I hit the F2 key to enter the edit mode and then press Enter, it converts the information to dates. How do I convert thess quasi-text cells without manually editing each one? Is there a worksheet function that will do this? Thanks Try this: - copy any empty cell - select the problem cells - do Edit>Paste Special, click Add, then OK - do Format>Cells>Date HTH Anders Silv=E9n "Colleyville Alan" <...

text on document is really small even though it is set at 12 why?
When I am in a word 03 document the text displayed is really small, even though the font size is set at 12. Either that or the page is really big Have you tried changing the zoom rate? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "suzannah" <suzannah@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:894012CB-69D6-48BC-92DC-54DBAF71CB7C@microsoft.com... > When I am in a word 03 document the text displayed is really small, even > though the font size is set at 12. Either that or the page is...

Filling a cell from a Macro
Hello, I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes","no")" However this give an error on the " sign. How to proceed? regards, Just You need to double up on the " marks around the strings yes and no Range("C1").Formula = "=IF(A1=B1,""yes"",""no"")" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 20:14:59 +0200, "Just Merks" <jvw.merks@hccnet.nl> wrote: >Hello, > >I want to put a IF formula from a Macro. IE. cell= "=IF(a=b,"yes&qu...

.gif not a listed option from insert/movie menu
Hello. When I try to insert a .gif movie though the standard method, .gif is not listed as a possible file extension. It allows for .avi, .mpeg etc but not .gif. Furthermore, when I switch to an allfiles search and try to put it in I get an error message telling me to check the format and extension or some such thing. The documentation makes it clear that in .gif movies should be inserted just like others, but I can't get it to work on the .gifs I've made. Even curiouser, there is a .gif that I pulled off of the web that will insert and play when I add it from the all...

Formatting text within a cell
I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a title with several bulleted subpoints indented and under it. Every time I hit "Enter" for a new line, I get skipped to a new cell. Any help will be appreciated. When editing a cell, if you hold down the [Alt] key when you press [Enter], that will put the subsequent text on a new line in the same cell. Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron XL2002, WinXP-Pro "AV Guy" wrote: > I'm pretty new to Excel ... I want to emulate my formatting in Word of a > title with several bullete...

More options for Area charts
Suggestion: add support for an arithmetic x-axis. Currently the x-axis for Area charts must either be categories or time. Time is of course a numeric value that can be reformatted to any numeric format, but the axis scale must still be specified in units of days, months, or years--this is inadequate, for instance if the x-axis is percent, then the entire range of x-values will be less than the smallest currenly permited minor unit (one day=100%). Why not allow full control over the axis scaling? Jerry ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to...

pasting a block of text into one cell
Hi everybody, I'm trying to paste a few passages from a book, surrounded by a trim() command, into a single cell of a worksheet. Since this has multiple lines, and tabs at the beginning of each line, the paste occurs in multiple rows and the trim() command doesn't work. Does anyone know how to paste something like this into one cell? For clarity, the block is like this: =trim( " blah blahhhhhhh zzzzz ") (with tabs before each line) Is there any way to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jezzica85 Hi, Try the =CLEAN(A1) function. -- Tha...

Fill formulas down in macro
I'd like to create a macro that fills a formula down to the final row that has any data. -- Just filling to adjacent cells (e.g. double-clicking on the autofill button) doesn't work because some of the rows don't have data in the cells the formula is looking for. -- I know I can select all the cells below the one I entered the formula in and hit ctrl-D to fill the formula, but I need this macro to be able to run no matter how many rows of data are present. -- I tried filling the fomula all the way past the highest row number I'd ever thought I'd reach but then ...

Quote Form With Options
It seems my original thread of 4/29/10 "Quote Form with Options" has been forgotten. Tom van Stiphout was helping and gave me the instructions for a button to ""Create New Option". It would look at the maximum option used so far (DMax function) and add 1 to it. When the button is clicked, you save the JobNumber information and perhaps some other key information, go to a new record, populate the JobNumber with the saved value, and set the Option field to whatever DMax(...)+1 returns." I have researched and tried several methods of code, but can'...

remove the text preview in a slide text box
My slide has a text box and the bullits are grayed out until I select them in my presentation. How can I remove the grayed out preview? That is just a placeholder until you put text into it. It does not show up until your in the slide presentation mode. If you want a blank slide without a place holder you need to select new slide and select the blank option. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "Ken V" <Ken V@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F33DE7C8-4082-44A4-8499-91094BBA7FCC@microsoft.com... My slide has a text box and the bullits ar...

Backup to Floppy Option
When I go into Tools\Options menu to select the "Backup to Floppy" option, the drop-down menu for selecting the drive does not give me any options. I am not able to type anything in this box either. My Dell PC (Dimension 4600) does not have a floppy drive but it does have a CD writer. I am able to go into File\Backup and backup my file to the CD this way but I would like it to automatically do this every few days. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Ken Mattocks wrote: >When I go into Tools\Options menu to select the "Backup >to Fl...

outlook 2003 email options help
When I open the new message window, I have to manually entire the entire outgoing address or scroll through a long list of contacts. Is there a way to make the To: feild recognize/query/automatch a contact after I've entered the first couple letters in the outgoing address bar? Yes. That feature is enabled by default. Have you sent enough messages to have populated your autocompletion cache? You won't see it working until you do. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Bree" <sabreaz01@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:151d301c4468b$2e7b0870$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When...

how do justify text in linked textboxes without hyphernation
I am trying to do a newsletter with linked text boxes. When I paste an article into the boxes I can not get them to fit properly. What I get is words hyphernating next to the edge. I would like to justify and get the words fitting in. How can I do this Do you have the paragraphs set for justified? If you want to control the hyphenation manually, Tools - Language - Hyphenation - Clear "Automatically hyphenate this story" -- JoAnn Paules Microsoft MVP - Publisher How to ask a question http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375 "Naida" <Naida@discussions.microsoft...

No Junk email option in Organize Pane
I'm trying to enable junk email filtering in Outlook 2K. When I open the Organize pane to enable the junk email filter, there is no option to select or turn. Just some dribble about Using Folders, Colors and Views. Is this a bug? Should I do the usual re-install Outlook (yikes!) Try detect and repair first. Also, make sure you are using the Organize button when you are in a mail folder. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be dele...

Highlighting Found Text in Excel
How can one find key words in an Excel document and programmatically highlight the found key words? Best regards In xl2002+, you can use Edit|Replace and specify a format for the whole cell after the change. (Change the string to itself and specify the formatting you like under the Options button. But that affects the whole cell--may not be what you want if there are other words in those cells.) Saved from a previous post (or two!): If you want to change the color of just the characters, you need VBA in all versions. You want a macro???? Option Explicit Option Compare Text Sub testme...

Text size #3
Is there a way to make the text size preference "sticky"? I mean for it to be remembered across sessions until I change it. Thanks. ...

Copying word text into Publisher
I'm using XP Word and Publisher. I'm working on a newsletter in Publisher. My writers are putting their articles for the newsletter in MS Word XP. When I copy them from Word into Publisher, the line spacing for the last line of every paragraph changes/increases. If I go to the line spacing to change/look at it, it is 5.976 pt in the 'after paragraph' section. Why is this happening? and, How can I make it stop? Hi anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com (anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I'm using XP Word and Publisher. I'...

Excel Option Conflicts #2
I need a workbook to run with specific options which may conflict with options already established by open workbooks sharing the same EXCEL.exe process. e.g one workbook needs "Manual Calculation", others "Automatic Calculation" I believe one solution is to ensure that whenever this workbook is opened, it runs (exclusively) a new EXCEL.exe process. How can I ensure this works for all users accessing this file? Or is there a smarter way? I don't think that there is a way to ensure this. You could give them instructions, you could give them a workbook that crea...

- Excel 2007: Pivot Table to SSAS why menu item "Options"->"Formulas" is disabled?
I am using Excel 2007 with SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 SP2. I want to create calculated measure based on other measures, but I cannot do this for Pivot table. If I go to menu "Options"->"Formulas" I can see that it is disabled. Same menu is enabled if I create Pivot table based on cells in sheet. How can I create caclulated measure for Pivot Table based on SSAS? Thank you ...

Passing multiple strings from a text box to a select query
Hello, First, let me thank everyone who has contributed to these forums, you have all helped me create a great database! Currently I'm at a standstill though. I've searched the forums and tried to adapt the information provided in the post "Use wildcard in combo box with multiple strings" however my query turns up empty. I'm trying to find a way to pass multiple strings from a textbox (txtPartName) on my main form (frmCodeSearch) to my select query. The query results are then displayed in a sub form. I'm able to enter a single string that is either a full...

How to open text file with Excel 2007
Hi, I used to be able to right click on a text file, select Open With, and then clicked on Excel and it would open it in Excel. For some reason, now when I right click on the text file and click on Open With, Excel is not under the Recommended Programs. After clicking on browse, can anyone tell me the path to find the correct file/program? Thanks. This not really an Excel question, it's more of a windows question and to answer that you need to tell us what OS you are using? If you are using XP then the default installation of excel 2007 would be C:\Program Files\...

Re: STAN: CAN YOU TAKE ME TO YOUR HOME PLANET WHEN YOU TRAVEL? JUST FYI! Options
Kevin Panzke wrote: **************** I WOULD LIKE TO GO TO A NEW PLANET BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE RIGHT WING WACKOS HERE ON EARTH. JUST FYI. I HEAR YOU ARE THE SUPREME RULER OF YOUR NEW PLANET. TAKE ME WITH YOU. JUST FYI. I ALSO NEED A JOB. DO YOU HAVE A JOB FOR ME? *************** Greetings Kevin, There's 6 spacesuits available, the planet's name is "Faeton" , as of jobs - ask Obama, he was promising Millions in pre election speeches. Most of the growth on our planet is in Nursing/HomeAttendants, FastFood, steet cleaning and construction in term...

How do I create a text file list of the contents of a folder
How do I create a text file list of the contents of folders. I have a huge data file of cemetery plots and no way to print out the list. Which fields of the message do you wish to save in this text file? You can create a single line view with all the fields that you want in your text file. Then copy/past this list into Excel. It will be similar to this; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/exportcontacts.htm -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www...

Convert Column Text Values
How can I convert an entire column of capitalized text to proper. How d I apply the the "proper" formula to the text in the cell -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use a helper column and put a bunch of formulas like: =proper(A1) and drag down the column. Or you could use a macro: David McRitchie has sample code at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm And if you're new to macros, David has some getstarted instructions: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm MonitorOntario wrote: > > How can I convert an entire colu...